• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Literacy Not A Right For Detroit School Kids According To State

Status
Not open for further replies.
With everything that has happened in that states I am completely befuddled that the Governor is not currently in prison.

This is the kind of story that would get me knocking on his door with pitchforks.

I honestly don't know what to say anymore. These people keep electing Republicans, why is it only in Republican states that this shit is this outrageous? I don't see any blue states with 50% of their population being unable to read

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus christ.

Detroit and Flint should seriously consider voluntary dismantlement. So many failures of political and industrial powers that be can only befall one area before its time to concede and move on.

this shit does not set a good precedent . Detroit has a high black population and i don't think that it is a coincident that the state would say that . between this and flint what the hell is wrong with Michigan. what do they have against black people ?
What don't they have against them? They're just being upfront now.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Since when is literacy a right? It's a public benefit, but a constitutional right? That's a weird concept to me. Not to downplay its importance, as it's extremely important, but why should it be a fundamental right? Even the UNs Universal Declaration of Human Rights does not list literacy as a right. It does list education, but does not specify further other than saying education at an elementary school level. Even according to that Detroit is in compliance.

Now, it's a damn shame and a public embarrassment and needs to be fixed, that's for sure.
What form of education doesn't require literacy as a necessary part of communicating information and imparting knowledge? History requires reading. Language requires reading. Math requires reading. Science requires reading and math.

Literacy is a fundamental part of education.

FStubbs

With everything that has happened in that states I am completely befuddled that the Governor is not currently in prison.

This is the kind of story that would get me knocking on his door with pitchforks.

He has a lot more Republican supporters who would answer back with guns.

He ran on a platform of hating black people in Detroit IIRC and that's what he's giving them. His supporters love what's happening in Detroit and Flint.

Only the unskilled labor version of a janitor for near minimum wage. If you need to be certified to run a boiler (or whatever), then no.

Unskilled farm work that isnt going to be done in a city, and is often staffed by migrant workers from Mexico because no one wants to do it for the pay.

Might as well list lottery winner if you are going to list sports player.

If you are illiterate, your (legal) job opportunities are extremely limited and almost exclusively low paying.

The discussion was whether it is necessary, not whether it is advantageous or desirable. I see trades that are possible without literacy. So it seems education does not require literacy, as education could be for the purposes of one of these trades.

A 2011 report showed 47 percent of Detroiters were functionally illiterate

Not that my country is doing that much better but what the fuck America?
It's crazy that we might witness the fall of the American empire in our lifetimes. Hopefully, China will be a decent #1, at least they seem to care about climate change now.

That illiteracy rate is crazy. Fuck this guy. Can't believe the amount of sociopathic assholes we have in government. Everyday it's a new thing. Makes me feel sick.

Culex

Banned
Cannot have education without literacy. Elephant in the room: can't vote if you cannot read the ballot. Republicans would like to keep it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom