• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Literacy Not A Right For Detroit School Kids According To State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilix

I feel like this violates the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). I'm no laywer, but there's a big part in there about literacy education for all.

Media

Why does "education" necessarily encompass "literacy"? There are plenty of trades where book learnin' aren't required.

It's impossible to function in modern society without being able to read and write. I don't know how you can argue that education as a right doesn't include literacy. That's the entire foundation for education, hence why it's the first thing that kids are taught.

Make no mistakes, this story is about assholes ruining their community or letting it stay ruined and avoiding responsibility for it. We're talking about what a shithead's lawyer said to let him off the hook, not some sort of minimum viable product presentation to convince stakeholders.

I have no problem with the lawsuit and think the conditions those students found themselves in is awful and needs to be fixed. That doesn't give them a legal leg to stand on, unfortunately (or it might, as I am not a lawyer). It should almost certainly be codified in law, but it's not and that's likely why they have to try it from the angle of deprivation of rights, which makes it seem to me like they have no real shot here.

Articles like this should be shared among everybody, but this country doesn't actually give a shit, and I'm at a loss at what can be done.

Fortunately, there are activist groups, like the one mentioned in the article, who fight these things. Support them with donations, if nothing else. We can also volunteer at local libraries and encourage the spread of literacy. It's the best any individual can probably do.

There's a compelling argument for literacy as a right, especially in the modern day. The ability to express yourself clearly and synthesize information is fundamental. It's so necessary that it may as well be a right. If you don't believe in its absolute necessity, then what's even the point of trying to educate children?

Since when is literacy a right? It's a public benefit, but a constitutional right? That's a weird concept to me. Not to downplay its importance, as it's extremely important, but why should it be a fundamental right? Even the UNs Universal Declaration of Human Rights does not list literacy as a right. It does list education, but does not specify further other than saying education at an elementary school level. Even according to that Detroit is in compliance.

Now, it's a damn shame and a public embarrassment and needs to be fixed, that's for sure.

It would? Isn't literacy one of the goals of elementary school education?

kswiston

Difficult, sure, but necessary? Convince me of it.

What trade do you think is achievable while being illiterate in modern times? Especially since all trade organization apprenticeships (carpentry, tool and die, heating and cooling, etc) are tied to post secondary programs now.

junpei

this shit does not set a good precedent . Detroit has a high black population and i don't think that it is a coincident that the state would say that . between this and flint what the hell is wrong with Michigan. what do they have against black people ?

Saying "education" is human right implicitly assumes that literacy is encompassed in that since it's one of the most basic aspects of education. The fact that yes, elementary schools technically exist is not a very compelling argument that the spirit of a right to education is being upheld, especially in the face of widespread disrepair and poor outcomes for students.

They aren't being actively denied that right, so in that sense it's being protected. Is it governments responsibility to fully furnish all rights, or is it the governments responsibility to remove all reasonable road blocks to those rights? The UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights declares that elementary education requires mandatory participation and should be free, as far as I remember, which is a bit different.

It would? Isn't literacy one of the goals of elementary school education?

Basic literacy is. Functional literacy? Probably not until middle to high school. Functional literacy is "to manage daily living and employment tasks that require reading skills beyond a basic level." Not something we expect of elementary education.

Slayven

this shit does not set a good precedent . Detroit has a high black population and i don't think that it is a coincident that the state would say that . between this and flint what the hell is wrong with Michigan. what do they have against black people ?
They are black is reason enough

Ac30

They are black is reason enough

Since people care about drug laws now that white kids are dying of heroin, maybe they'll care about this once white kids start becoming illiterate. America.

I wonder if the Trump presidency will be the final nail in the coffin for American democracy. Half the population celebrates ignorance, and the federal government will ensure they're kept that way.

kswiston

Basic literacy is. Functional literacy? Probably not until middle to high school. Functional literacy is "to manage daily living and employment tasks that require reading skills beyond a basic level." Not something we expect of elementary education.

The Functional literacy they are talking about in the OP (the ability to fill out forms/perscriptions) is somewhere around a 4th grade reading level. I'm not familiar with Michigan laws, but most places have mandatory schooling until at least 16 (which is Grade 10).

collige

Banned
They aren't being actively denied that right, so in that sense it's being protected. Is it governments responsibility to fully furnish all rights, or is it the governments responsibility to remove all reasonable road blocks to those rights? The UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights declares that elementary education requires mandatory participation and should be free, as far as I remember, which is a bit different.

The state constitution of Michigan mandates free elementary and secondary education.

The state constitution of Michigan mandates free elementary and secondary education.

If that's the case, it makes things a little different. It's pretty despicable that they are shirking their constitutionally mandated duties.

I mean, it's despicable even if it's not constitutionally mandated, but when it actually IS a right it's that much worse.

shingi70

Banned
This infuriates me, I life in detroit Michigan and unfortunately I have a wayward cousin who is functionality illerate.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I remember the sick outs. My cousin told me her kids were out of school for days in a row.

I had no idea it was that bad. This is just evil.

Thanks, Rick, for being the object lesson in why we can't respect "state's rights" when it comes to determining their own educational standards and priorities.

kswiston

Curious to see the challenges teachers face in these schools? What's going on in these classrooms?

Truancy is probably a major issue. When a kid is missing 3-4 days a week, they aren't going to be learning anything in the days they do show up.

Thanks, Rick, for being the object lesson in why we can't respect "state's rights" when it comes to determining their own educational standards and priorities.

President-Elect believes some of the smartest and most prosperous people he knows can't read or write, so I doubt he cares.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just look at who controls Michigan's state legislature and you'll see why this happens.

gabbo

If that's the case, it makes things a little different. It's pretty despicable that they are shirking their constitutionally mandated duties.

I mean, it's despicable even if it's not constitutionally mandated, but when it actually IS a right it's that much worse.

Education is an easy target when cutting budgets

President-Elect believes some of the smartest and most prosperous people he knows can't read or write, so I doubt he cares.
He himself seems to just barely be literate.

Truancy is probably a major issue. When a kid is missing 3-4 days a week, they aren't going to be learning anything in the days they do show up.

Can't force anyone to learn. Putting blame on the state for students poor literacy performance feels a little "scapegoaty", reasonably it's probably shared responsibility community/state/city. If the schools are in physical ruins, why? If the schools need rebuilding, let's talk about funding.

These people are manifestations of evil itself and we are forced to have them be our leaders? What is wrong with the people who vote for them?

xevis

Banned
It is, but education is not equal.

animalfarm1.jpg

How much of a cynical creep do you need to be to claim that reading isn't a fundamental part of education?

Honestly? You just need to be a lawyer representing "that side". It's their job. I would like to think that at least some of them think to themselves "what the fuck are we doing?", but I am sure plenty of them sleep just fine at night.

Incidentally, Education is one of the many facets that I wish the Federal government had direct control of. No more state-by-state nonsense, where some states are still allowed to teach creationism and other non-scientific bullshit. No more "crossing out the question and citing the bible for full credit" or whatever that bullshit was from the German exchange student thread. I would also like to see funds distributed evenly per capita, so you stop ending up with schools that are miles apart physically, but decades apart in quality and technology. It's ridiculous that this has gone on so long.

Old racial resentments that go back to pre WW2 days, when Black folks migrated from the South up to Michigan & competed for jobs with European immigrants who bought into good old fashioned American racism.

WedgeX

Banned
How little things change in five years under GOP control of a city's education.

From my post from a link that apparently no longer exists:

MLive said:
For the first time ever, the Michigan Department of Education undertook a study to determine the level of college-preparedness of students at every high school in the state. The study found that at more than half our state high schools, fewer than 10 percent of the students set to graduate high school this year are ready for college. (Statewide, about 19 percent of students were deemed to be academically fit for college.)

In Detroit, the numbers were downright abysmal. Only Renaissance High, the district's top high school, broke even that 10 percent threshold. Of course, Renaissance's graduation rate in 2010 was an impressive 95.5 percent. At Cass Tech, which also graduated 95.5 percent of its students last year, only 4.4 percent of this year's expected grads are prepared for the next level academically.

Meanwhile, at every other Detroit public high school, the portion of students deemed college ready was less than 1 percent.

The local charter schools, hailed by many as a key component to Detroit's educational turnaround, also reflected pathetic numbers. At Winans Academy High School, for instance, the 2010 graduation rate was 88 percent. The percent of student deemed college-prepared? Zero. Same for Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences, which boasted a 92 percent graduation rate last year.

Of course, it's not just a Detroit thing. Lest you believe the education crisis is limited to the city, it should be noted that at schools throughout Macomb, Oakland and Wayne, anywhere from 75 percent to 100 percent of the students were determined to be unprepared for college. This despite graduation rates that are comparable to, or even better than, those at Cass Tech and Renaissance.

FStubbs

Michiganders hate Detroit. With the recent election results, the city is especially fucked. I can easily see all the progress the city has done going down the drain.

Wasn't "sticking it to Black people in Detroit" Rick Snyder's central campaign platform?

I still think he purposely poisoned the water in Flint.

RocknRola

Man... you guys are in for 4 years of utter crap :S Idiots like that governor will likely only feel more powerful and free to commit these sort of crimes (yes, trying to deny literacy as a right to your citizens is a crime as far as I'm concerned, or should be at least).

Ephidel

Difficult, sure, but necessary? Convince me of it.
Fine. You now can't read. Do you know what you're going to find one hell of a lot harder now?

Reading books - this makes learning other things far harder. It probably means you're not going to get any of those qualifications that lead to better jobs and income.
Reading job listings or fill out application forms - this makes getting work even harder.
Looking up the ways you can apply for aid - that shit is probably needlessly obtuse even for people who CAN read it.
Passing the non-practical part of your driving test (and on the off-chance you pass - reading signage to know which roads you need to take. Sure you could try to bypass that by using a satnav, but then you'd need to know how to set up, use, and program the sat nav, and that's going to be pretty hard if you can't read as well).
Reading the ever changing terms and conditions of your bank.
Keeping proper tabs on the money you're spending, because if you can't read your math skills probably aren't great either.
Reading the TV guide to know what's coming on over the next week.
Keeping up with your friends and family by social media.
Texting your friends and family.

It's ALIENATING.

And should you get a job it's probably going to be a naff one. Common low paid jobs include retail and cleaning. If retail you're going to struggle taking inventory, looking up prices, looking up items, keying in codes that require you to look up items first, and probably charging people the right amount of money. Because you're going to struggle to understand the information you're seeing. It's going to be completely foreign to you.
And if cleaning you have various health and safety issues with use of chemicals and cleaning materials, or the proper operation of machinery to contend with, or the ordering of replacement supplies. How are you going to do that if you can't read the forms?

You're also going to have to contend with regular training courses that you're going to struggle to make head or tails of while everyone else sleeps through them and laughs at the fact the age related sales question asks whether you can buy lottery tickets when you're 8, or that in the fire safety test option C on the 'what not to do in case of fire' says 'run around screaming' (I'm not even joking. I've taken a test with that as an option). And you're going to STRUGGLE with the test everyone else finds easy as shit because even if you know the answers you're not going to be able to read them.

kswiston

Janitor? Farm worker? Sports player?

Only the unskilled labor version of a janitor for near minimum wage. If you need to be certified to run a boiler (or whatever), then no.

Unskilled farm work that isnt going to be done in a city, and is often staffed by migrant workers from Mexico because no one wants to do it for the pay.

Might as well list lottery winner if you are going to list sports player.

If you are illiterate, your (legal) job opportunities are extremely limited and almost exclusively low paying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom