• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Big Planet 3 Shown PS4 (November 2014)

tskeeve

Yup. Visually it's harder to tell, but once you get your hands on it, you'll know. :) JC covers a fair share of info in that interview as well in regards to some new bits to the series.

But yeah, full disclosure, I am one of the designers at Sumo Digital working on LBP3 and have worked on LBP Vita and LBP2 Cross Controller, too. Jaeyden's already popped his head in here as well and he's on the project as well (I'm sure hodgy100 as well). We'll definitely be showing off loads more in the near future which will answer a lot of your questions, so stay tuned. ^^

That is awesome. I have LBP1 and LBP Vita, but by far my biggest gripe with the games was the floaty controls. I'm definitely excited to see how you guys have changed it.

hodgy100

I'm glad you guys liked the reveal! This is the first commercial game I've worked on (as programmer) and I'm super pumped to be working on it! As donkey show has already said there is loads more to show so please be excited!

I'm glad you guys liked the reveal! This is the first commercial game I've worked on (as programmer) and I'm super pumped to be working on it! As donkey show has already said there is loads more to show so please be excited!
I'm very excited. The reveal was my highlight of E3.

DrDamn

But yeah, full disclosure, I am one of the designers at Sumo Digital working on LBP3 and have worked on LBP Vita and LBP2 Cross Controller, too.

That's great to hear. LBP Vita was the best in the series in terms of campaign level design I thought. Really looking forward to seeing more of LBP3. :)

My problem with LBP3 is the new characters. I don't find a single one of them as charming as Sackboy

But Oddsock :p

PXQ4KFJ.jpg

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Any word on whether finding a queue'ing good levels will be made easier? I always disliked how some of the more popular levels weren't gamey but rather were about aesthetics. Last I played, you could add levels via a PC using the internet. But, you know...

BuLKJNO.gif

Zen

Banned
They really need to make level sorting and playing lightning fast this go around, and cut out loading all the unnecessary junk that slows it down.

Any word on whether finding a queue'ing good levels will be made easier? I always disliked how some of the more popular levels weren't gamey but rather were about aesthetics. Last I played, you could add levels via a PC using the internet. But, you know...

BuLKJNO.gif

The Team Picks now are curated by our community coordinator and picked on a lot of different variables, not just aesthetics. They go through a ton of levels, heh.

Zen

Banned
Yup. Visually it's harder to tell, but once you get your hands on it, you'll know. :) JC covers a fair share of info in that interview as well in regards to some new bits to the series.

But yeah, full disclosure, I am one of the designers at Sumo Digital working on LBP3 and have worked on LBP Vita and LBP2 Cross Controller, too. Jaeyden's already popped his head in here as well and he's on the project as well (I'm sure hodgy100 as well). We'll definitely be showing off loads more in the near future which will answer a lot of your questions, so stay tuned. ^^

Werent you one of the neogaf members who was really into LBP1 when it came out, I think I remembered playing a level by you with a frog jump that was particularly difficult. Either way, cool to see you get involved with the series!

Please revamp the level searching, speed, and presentation! Remember when it was first shown off as a quasi youtube like interface?

Jaeyden

That is awesome. I have LBP1 and LBP Vita, but by far my biggest gripe with the games was the floaty controls. I'm definitely excited to see how you guys have changed it.

Obviously we can't say much but the "floaty" controls were a very big concern for us on Sackboy. We spent a ton of time refining the way he feels while making sure that we were compromising BC as little as possible for anyone that might republish an old level in LBP3. He feels and controls so much better now. It's quite amazing the difference in feel when we go back and play stuff in LBP2.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Obviously we can't say much but the "floaty" controls were a very big concern for us on Sackboy. We spent a ton of time refining the way he feels while making sure that we were compromising BC as little as possible for anyone that might republish an old level in LBP3. He feels and controls so much better now. It's quite amazing the difference in feel when we go back and play stuff in LBP2.

I don't understand why you couldn't simply keep the 'old' physics for republished LBP1/2 levels, and have new physics for story levels and LBP3 created ones?

Gekidami

Banned
I don't understand why you couldn't simply keep the 'old' physics for republished LBP1/2 levels, and have new physics for story levels and LBP3 created ones?
Yeah, could be a switch in creating new levels; "Old jump physics" "New jump physics".

I remember at one point MM said that they were going to offer the option to tighten up jumping but i never really noticed it in the game. I think the only way to really go about doing it in LBP2 was to force the player to use a sackbot that had its jump parameters modified. LBP3 really could do with the option to change jumping with the basic playable characters, its been a gripe ever since the very first one, its about time it was addressed for real.

LBP3 really could do with the option to change jumping with the basic playable characters, its been a gripe ever since the very first one, its about time it was addressed for real.

Well...

There is an interview somewhere in which the lead designer mentions that they tweaked the controls of Sackboy due to the feedback they got. It will not be Mario style responsive though (quoting the interview) but it might interest those who had problems with the floaty controls.

edit: it's at 1.42 in this interview.

Yup. Visually it's harder to tell, but once you get your hands on it, you'll know. :)

rottame

I have the feeling that a big part of the "floatiness" of controls came from the engine having to do physics calculations before the jump/movement started. So a more optimised physics engine should address the problem. Am I completely wrong?

Eggbok

Has anyone mentioned how the DLC from LBP and LBP2 will cross over to LBP3 on PS4 since we can't access PS3 content in the store?

Jaeyden

I have the feeling that a big part of the "floatiness" of controls came from the engine having to do physics calculations before the jump/movement started. So a more optimised physics engine should address the problem. Am I completely wrong?

There are a bunch of elements that contributed to that feel of floatiness. The fact that Sackboy's jump is affected by physics is never going to change, so if you are standing on an angled platform you are still going to jump at a slight angle because the jump takes that into consideration.

We made Sackboy move just a touch quicker now and he jumps just slightly higher which we found helps players from getting "caught" on corners when jumping up platforms or blocks. Additionally, we tweaked his air steering to add more control. To me one of the most important things we changed was the way he stops after a jump. We reduced the amount of momentum he retains after landing a jump which means that players are punished less for not landing in the exact right spot on smaller platforms.

AndyD

aka andydumi
There are a bunch of elements that contributed to that feel of floatiness. The fact that Sackboy's jump is affected by physics is never going to change, so if you are standing on an angled platform you are still going to jump at a slight angle because the jump takes that into consideration.

We made Sackboy move just a touch quicker now and he jumps just slightly higher which we found helps players from getting "caught" on corners when jumping up platforms or blocks. Additionally, we tweaked his air steering to add more control. To me one of the most important things we changed was the way he stops after a jump. We reduced the amount of momentum he retains after landing a jump which means that players are punished less for not landing in the exact right spot on smaller platforms.

Thanks for the details.

I just want to know whether all the new characters will also be customizeable like Sackboy? And will there be a better photo mode? Infamous really proves that photo modes need to happen in every game.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
The Team Picks now are curated by our community coordinator and picked on a lot of different variables, not just aesthetics. They go through a ton of levels, heh.

Great to hear, I imagine you guys have great taste in levels. ;)

I think I'm gonna create all the levels I dreampt up from back in the day. I have a sketch book somewhere with dozen of levels filled with bosses and puzzles and how the logic would be applied to achieve it all. But never put it into motion...spent more time sketching than actually creation. hah Seeing the E3 announcement for LBP3 made me go sell my ps3 and pickup the ps4 the following morning.

Only to then find out hours later that it's also coming out for PS3. Woops

dsigns1

One thing that's always been missing is a good character designer. Wish we had a way to add stuff to characters without them moving and with a way to rotate the character so we could fully paint them. Any chance of this happening?

Moosichu

So older levels will be easier but newer ones can still have difficulty by being balanced around the new controls? :) Sounds good.

VanWinkle

The thing I'm most disappointed in is just how similar it looks to LBP2 graphically. More than any other Sony game for PS4, it looks like the only improvement from last-gen was increased resolution. And despite how similar it looks, it's not even running at 60fps, judging by the several times that we've heard from them how it's 1080p but heard nothing about the framerate.

I don't know, I guess I was just expecting more, especially considering that the LBP games were actually always surprisingly graphically impressive. I also feel like having backwards compatibility with the last to games' user-created levels is just a bad idea and will hold the game back. I don't agree with that decision at all.

Still, definitely excited to get my hands on it.

The bolded part was the thing that always stood out to me as the weakness in LBP's jumping physics, more than any of the other floatiness complaints. So glad to hear it's been addressed.

Awesome to hear, can't wait.

Why did ye decide to put it on PS3?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I know, but to me that still doesn't excuse how safe it looks graphically.

Most of the character and charm comes from the levels created. I feel like the level they showed for E3 was more a demo level to point out the new characters, rather than a cohesive story level which is their strength. I have faith that once we see real levels, with solid music it will be a different experience.

LBP3 was the highlight of Sony's show. Had a huge smile on my face when it showed up, although I do admit I'm disappointed that they didn't go 3d platforming but hey LBP is one of my favorite series that came out last gen so you know I'll be there day one.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
One thing that's always been missing is a good character designer. Wish we had a way to add stuff to characters without them moving and with a way to rotate the character so we could fully paint them. Any chance of this happening?

That's been in the game since a patch in LBP1. If you bring out a sticker or decoration and place it over Sackboy, the camera zooms in, he stands still, and you can use two buttons (L1 & R1 I think) to have him turn to the left, right or all the way around, effectively giving you full coverage.

Unless you're talking about even more detail (vertical rotation and rotation at smaller degrees than just 90), which I think would be a nice addition.

N.Domixis

Banned
Should have had a sphere character named ballsack lol. The new characters should bring new things, just wish it wasn't cross gen.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That's been in the game since a patch in LBP1. If you bring out a sticker or decoration and place it over Sackboy, the camera zooms in, he stands still, and you can use two buttons (L1 & R1 I think) to have him turn to the left, right or all the way around, effectively giving you full coverage.

Unless you're talking about even more detail (vertical rotation and rotation at smaller degrees than just 90), which I think would be a nice addition.

But it only zooms in about 5%. I think I would like to see it zoom in to where Sackboy fills the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IjZIHAE1dw

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I don't mind the visuals not being much upgraded over the PS3 version. They already looked wonderful.

However, I do hope they can at least get the performance up to 60 fps...it would be extremely disappointing if they didn't.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Also, I'm wondering if this series will get a rejuvenated audience of sorts now that there's many 360/Wii converts that are picking up a PS4 and never got the chance to play the series.

It's a great entry point for those folks since it's backwards compatible with LBP1 and 2. I only wish the story levels were also carried over from those games.

Great move by Sony to have this ready for the holiday, as I think it's a great differentiator and diversifies their fall lineup.

Creaking

why bother of getting it for the ps4 when its coming to the ps3

Share button. Even if I never get anything to a publishable state, I can still show people how cool it would have been. Plus the sharper graphics and potentially (crossing my fingers) more thermo space.

Vidpixel

The best way to put it is that you have more direct control of Sackboy and actions are as expected. It's nice.

This pleases me greatly, thanks for clarifying! I've always enjoyed the style and charm of the Little Big Planet games, but yeah, the overtly floaty controls have always been the one negative sticking point for me.

What really bugs me about this is there PS4 gets the same create space as PS3 just maintain Backwards compatibility, don't like that at all.

Maybe give the PS4 a lot more but have a separate split in the Create gauge, that give's you a warning when its no longer "sharable with PS3's"
Share button. Even if I never get anything to a publishable state, I can still show people how cool it would have been. Plus the sharper graphics and potentially (crossing my fingers) more thermo space.

Bad new's man
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/mbqrq1/littlebigplanet-3-e3-2014---what-s-new--interview
go to 2.45

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I played both the PS4 multiplayer and single player demos at E3, and enjoyed it very much. I love the LBP series, and never had much problems with the controls in any of the games, but LBP3 felt good to me.

It looked great also. The reveal during the conference was one of my highlights, and I was grinning from ear to ear when the title appeared on the screen.

Creaking

What really bugs me about this is there PS4 gets the same create space as PS3 just maintain Backwards compatibility, don't like that at all.

Maybe give the PS4 a lot more but have a separate split in the Create gauge, that give's you a warning when its no longer "sharable with PS3's"

Bad new's man
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/mbqrq1/littlebigplanet-3-e3-2014---what-s-new--interview
go to 2.45

Dang it! I guess I'll have to keep coming up with logic tricks to maintain space in the level I've been working on. At least it might run better than 10 fps...

I immediately thought of the same solution as you did. Shame. I don't care if PS3 users can play my level if it means limiting my create space. Probably my biggest gripe yet with this game being cross-gen.

Top Bottom