• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Goody Two Shoes | Review Thread

Little_Goody_Two_Shoes.png

Game Information

Game Title
: Little Goody Two Shoes

Platforms:
  • PC (Oct 31, 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch (Oct 31, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X|S (Oct 31, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Oct 31, 2023)
Trailer:

Publisher: Square Enix
Developer: AstralShift

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - N/A
Metacritic - 82 average based on 6 Critic Reviews

image.png

Critic Reviews

Noisy Pixel - Azario Lopez - 9 / 10
Little Goody Two Shoes offers a captivating and multifaceted adventure that defies initial expectations. It weaves a tale of complexity and deception, gradually unraveling into a supernatural and psychological maze. With a well-developed narrative and unique systems, it keeps players engaged across multiple playthroughs. While it does present some minor challenges, particularly in managing the various gauges, its artistic and audio elements immerse players in a captivating and eerie world. Ultimately, Little Goody Two Shoes stands as a remarkable achievement in the RPG Maker-style horror genre, pushing boundaries and setting a high standard for indie game development.

Hey Poor Player - Cory Clark - 80 / 100
I’ll be entirely honest here: Little Goody Two Shoes’ striking art style alone could sell the game. The ’90s anime stylings are superbly recreated here, feeling like a fever dream of an anime VHS tape you watched way back when. The four main maidens of this tale are well-spun and memorable, and even the more minor side characters all have their points of interest, helping tie together the short but sweet adventure all the better.

Siliconera - Lauren Palmer - 8 / 10
Little Goody Two Shoes’ themes of always wanting more than what you have hit particularly close to home. Elise’s desires are always surrounding you – and always just out of arm’s reach. The developers of this game took great care into shaping this beautiful world to fit with Elise’s characterization. This game is simply oozing with charm. You can feel the love and dedication that went into creating this game at every moment, in every aspect – from the artwork to the story to the sound design.

RPG Site- Paul Shkreli - 8 / 10
Little Goody Two Shoes has no problem putting Elise through the ringer on her dark mission, and it does so with aplomb. The game’s intense story stands on the shoulders of a razor-sharp presentation and demanding yet satisfying gameplay loop. Elise might be damning her soul to an eternity of torment, but it’s the player who is about to embark on one hell of a ride.

GGRecon- Amy Eastland - 70 / 100
Overall, Little Goody Two Shoes is a lot of fun, but may not be what you’re looking for if you’re on the hunt for a more traditional horror experience lending more to a slow-burn style of game with a lot of different elements tossed into the mix, from resource management to quests, and mini-games. It's a little unfocused, and while that works for its unique visual stylings, I found myself wishing for more horror than the constant diversions it offered.

Last edited:

sedg87

Banned
Looks really interesting. Just bought Alan Wake 2 so I'm going to wishlist it and grab it next month.

Holammer

Saw this yesterday when I checked new releases on Steam. It's made by a Portuguese developer with a previous title called Pocket Mirror with similar horror themes.
I'm really impressed by the various styles employed in the game. When Japanese developers follow current anime trends religiously, these guys give it a retro 90's look.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Hearing really good things about this game, and watched the trailer again and it's really dang cool looking. I think this game might potentially be great.

roxya

That release date trailer sold me on it totally, but a couple of the steam reviews (there are hardly any) mention it being quite easy to get a bad ending, which puts me off a little.

I just learned about this game today, watched and read a few reviews... now I am downloading it on Switch.

Really weird that I completely missed it. Square Enix really are terrible to market their games I guess.
I want to buy the game. But no physical PS5 version means no money for Square enix.🤷🏼‍♂️😒

"RPG Maker-style horror"

Only one review even slightly mentions what this plays like. Is it turn based? Are there even battles?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
10 min in and the visuals are better than I expected. Vintage 90s anime opening with VHS scanlines. UI seems well done with nicely hand drawn artwork for items and menus. Audio defaults to Japanese. Feels like a light horror game so far with a lamp and limited matches. Seems you need to also ration food.

So far no battles. There was a small hint of the impending horror foreahadowed. Story is very anime so far.

Just going off very early vibes so far, very good vibes. Better than I expected. Game visually looks like Rhapsody (PS1) or Atelier Iris (PS2). There are lots of small load screens that are fine but you do notice it slightly.

Onward.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Well this is very unexpected. Game loop (so far, still havent seen horror kick in yet) is basically Pentiment. You can advance portions of the day with conversation and it costs a food unit. You have 3 work periods in the day to earn cash, very similar to Pentiment. It was a mini-game (like Pentiment a bit). The game and win screen had fantastic custom art.

Also seems to be a large dating sim element to the game, all lesbian.

First town I saw seems like a German, Christian town. Slight Pentiment vibes there too. Found a note with nice caligraphy. Church.

Vibes are intensifying.

PanzerCute

I played 3 hours and I really love it. This is a very weird and singular game to me, I have never played something like that before.

You play as a cheeky teenage girl in a small village who learns to live on her own after her grand mother passed away. Your goal is to organise your days between working (to get some very needed money) and spending time with your friends to build deeper relationships.

You have limited time slots each day, meaning that you have to carefully choose how to manage your day, and there is a good balance to find because you really need the money earned by working and it appears clearly that you wont be able to max all relationships in one run. There are also other elements to manage like food, items to replenish your sanity or your health etc..

So basically it feels like Persona with harsh economy and some survival elements.

The thing is there is something dark hidden in this world, and although you spend your days enjoying the gorgeous visuals and splendid german tale aesthetic combined with 90s anime, the nights are themselves full of terrors. Every night you will be sent to a mysterious castle and will have to go through some nightmarish ordeals to unravel the mystery.

tbh this is really a hard game to describe, but this is already captivating and engaging as hell. Visually this is absolutely gorgeous, the musics are also perfect for what the game tries to achieve and everything is incredibly well made (the UI for instance reminds me of the quality of the ones found only in Atlus games).

Apparently the game is not that long (10-15h) but designed for multiple playthrough: you have different choices to make and they can change the game and endings (11 in total) drastically.

Damn, this is amazing: incredibly charming, beautiful to look at, unique AF and it bears a great sense of mistery.

Its 20 bucks, if you want some fresh air go for it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Finished the first dream. Art style is just fully off the charts at times. Just got through a montage cutscene that had about 4 totally different art styles. I cant believe this is basically the first game this team has made. Its just exploding with style. I knew it would be good, but this is exceeding my expectations for sure.

PanzerCute

Almost 8h in, I love it so much!

It really is extremely tight in terms of margin of error, resources management or even to complete the horror gameplay phases (lot of die and retry. Save really often!), but damn this is amazing.

Apparently most people finished it in 10-11h, and I guess I will take more time than that, but it also feels like you really need a few runs to be able to even max a relationship. I am all for it tbh.

what a divine surprise.

Top Bottom