• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport | Review Thread

What's the average score Forza Motorsport will get on Metacritic?

• 95 - 100

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • 90 - 94

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • 85 - 89

Votes: 72 55.8%
  • 80 - 84

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • 75 - 79

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 70 - 74

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • <70

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mpaumpfu.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Forza Motorsport

Platforms:
  • PC (Oct 10, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Oct 10, 2023)
Trailer:
Developer: Turn 10 Studios

Publisher: Xbox Game Studios

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 84 average - 90% recommended

Q0Uu0dD.png

Metacritic - 85 average based on 62 critic reviews

xxkOgCk.png

Critic Reviews

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I hate racing sims and prefer arcade racers like Need for Speed...but Gran Turismo and Forza are just....like magnificent pearls. The Horizon games in Forza, I never cared about but the Motorsport ones just hit on a different level and dare I say? They kinda hit harder than GT in the last few installments of these franchises.

This is going to score bigly. No doubts.

Isn’t it amazing how the once rightfully reviled concept of review embargo has become an accepted standard? Nothing againat this game in particular, it just struck me how commonplace it has become.
Review embargo is required to ensure reviewers have adequate time to play and review the game. It helps them write proper reviews and gives us higher quality reviews. If not for the embargo, there would be motivation to throw crappy reviews up as fast as possible to get internet traffic. It becomes an issue when the review embargo goes past the release date…

Disclaimer: I don't care much for Metacritic.

83-85 MC is my vote. I think the new changes will do the game well, but stiffened competition from other sim racers over the years since last Forza will probably limit praise in comparison to the previous games.

Although I guess it'll also depend on which platform ist he lead one for reviews. You'd think it aught to be Series S since that's the one with the most install base to sell the game (or subs) to, but it could be Series X or even PC. So...

Series S: 82 - 83 MC​
Series X: 83 - 85 MC​
PC: 85 - 88 MC​

Would be nice if all the sites with "Xbox" blatantly in their name weren't counted to the average. It's just so blatant sometimes.

clarky

Gold Member
85-90.

Hardcore sim Fanatic's will rip this to bits because well its not a hardcore enough sim.
It will leave the Horizon lovers cold.
The regulars folks just want a Simcade racer will be happy. 86/100

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Would be nice if all the sites with "Xbox" blatantly in their name weren't counted to the average. It's just so blatant sometimes.

Won’t be an xbox review thread without this silly conspiracy theory of “xbox sites inflating Metacritic scores”.

most of those are weighted much lower than the likes of IGN and Gamespot and literally can’t influence more than a percentage point swing of the scores.

Although I guess it'll also depend on which platform ist he lead one for reviews. You'd think it aught to be Series S since that's the one with the most install base to sell the game (or subs) to, but it could be Series X or even PC. So..

You expect reviewers to play the game on the mass market SKU that doesn’t support Ray tracing and more advanced visual features?

Make it make sense.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont know anymore. Forza reviews well, but starfield started at 89 before dropping to 84. so who knows who MS is keeping this from for early reviews.

Also, GT has launched two games since the last Forza and while this might look better in some aspects, GT has developed a huge following among even the forza youtubers. I wonder how the critics will review forza after such a long hiatus and after giving GT7 a 87.

acm2000

83-85 MC is my vote. I think the new changes will do the game well, but stiffened competition from other sim racers over the years since last Forza will probably limit praise in comparison to the previous games.

Although I guess it'll also depend on which platform ist he lead one for reviews. You'd think it aught to be Series S since that's the one with the most install base to sell the game (or subs) to, but it could be Series X or even PC. So...

sure, as long as you do the same for all the playstation sites for playstation first party games too

Last edited:
Won’t be an xbox review thread without this silly conspiracy theory of “xbox sites inflating Metacritic scores”.

most of those are weighted much lower than the likes of IGN and Gamespot and literally can’t influence more than a percentage point swing of the scores.

There's so many of them, though. And with enough of them, if they time reviews right, they can swing the average by a point or two upward.

There are Nintendo & PlayStation websites like those, but nowhere near in number to the Xbox ones. It's insanity.

You expect reviewers to play the game on the mass market SKU that doesn’t support Ray tracing and more advanced visual features?

Make it make sense.

It's the one most purchasing customers would be buying the game on, just going by the install base.

I would say PC but PC isn't a fixed spec platform, and vast majority of Steam's users are on setups barely around or even weaker than Series S. But we know the PC reviewers will be on rigs rocking i9s and 4090s, or equivalents.

sure, as long as you do the same for all the playstation sites too

100%. But, there's just way less of them that even do reviews that weigh to the average on MC. Similar with Nintendo.

Ozriel

M$FT
It's the one most purchasing customers would be buying the game on, just going by the install base.

I would say PC but PC isn't a fixed spec platform, and vast majority of Steam's users are on setups barely around or even weaker than Series S. But we know the PC reviewers will be on rigs rocking i9s and 4090s, or equivalents.

We really don’t have any solid data what the sales split is, or how skewed it is. But it’s also not likely any reviewer would use the weaker console as a benchmark. PC reviewers for example aren’t playing their review copies on whatever midrange GPU is most popular on Steam.

BigLee74

I do like me a Forza, but they’ve all played the same for years now. I think we all know what to expect.

(Horizon brings the fun that the reviewers can get behind, this is much more sterile by nature)

Last edited:
I do like me a Forza, but they’ve all played the same for years now. I think we all know what to expect.

(Horizon brings the fun that the reviewers can get behind, this is much more sterile by nature)
It’s played the same for six years because we’ve been playing the same Motorsport for six years. This is a new one coming out with many changes from a six year old game.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Isn’t it amazing how the once rightfully reviled concept of review embargo has become an accepted standard? Nothing againat this game in particular, it just struck me how commonplace it has become.
Why shouldn't a company who gives out copies for review be able to dictate when the scores are released? It ensures that all reviews are available at the same time so there are no single low-ball reviews making the game look like ass, or the converse. I would copy that practice too if I was a publisher.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

*disclaimer, I don't care much about metacritic*

*goes on to write long post on very much caring about metacritic*

We really don’t have any solid data what the sales split is, or how skewed it is. But it’s also not likely any reviewer would use the weaker console as a benchmark. PC reviewers for example aren’t playing their review copies on whatever midrange GPU is most popular on Steam.

Bro, we know it's probably something like 60:40 or 55:45, going by recent statements by Dring and Piscatella. Either way, Series S would make up the majority in terms of consoles.

I also just remembered, MC doesn't do Xbox reviews split between the X and S. That should change IMO.

*disclaimer, I don't care much about metacritic*

*goes on to write long post on very much caring about metacritic*

Only doing it because everyone else does 🤷‍♂️. It's like GOTY; I don't care much about the TGAs on that and plenty of other outlets do award shows, but most people only care about the TGAs. Or act like they're the only GOTY which exists.

Wanna talk to them, you gotta talk about the TGAs even if you personally feel otherwise. Same thing with me when it comes to MetaCritic.

Review embargo is required to ensure reviewers have adequate time to play and review the game. It helps them write proper reviews and gives us higher quality reviews. If not for the embargo, there would be motivation to throw crappy reviews up as fast as possible to get internet traffic. It becomes an issue when the review embargo goes past the release date…
What a load of shit. Embargoes are there to achieve mass market drive and to minimize the margin between impulse purchase and educated consideration, and that’s largely it. But I’m sure even publishers have started believing in their own bullshit at this point.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Loved 7, this looks better in every way.

Can't wait to build me a monster that doesn't turn but does 300mph in a straight line 🤣
I still fondly remember my FH4 car that could insane top speeds but would scrape on the ground if you tried to turn.

clarky

Gold Member
What a load of shit. Embargoes are there to achieve mass market drive and to minimize the margin between impulse purchase and educated consideration, and that’s largely it. But I’m sure even publishers have started believing in their own bullshit at this point.
In some cases i'd agree. But if you send out review codes on x days before release i can see why a pub would genuinely want to give every reviewer the same amount of time to write an informed review.

I think your both right to be fair.

Fredrik

Yup. Reviews in general are there for publishers more than customers today. Almost all games are updated at and after the release and post-launch content updates is more or less a norm but reviews are almost never updated at or after the release and content updates are never reviewed unless there is a huge boxed new release. Even 10 years later critics reviews just show how the day 0 version was.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
These car racing games almost always rank highly (high 80s or lower 90s). But I reckon 3 factors that could bring the score down a bit to lower-to-mid 80s:
  • Some of the "CaRPG" elements (and the upgrades for each car locked behind separate level progressions) won't sit well with some reviewers,
  • Some reviewers may feel that the game isn't as next-gen as advertised.
  • The lack of content at launch may also bring down the score by a couple of points.
Just a guess. Let's see.

Last edited:
These car racing games almost always rank highly (high 80s or lower 90s). But I reckon 3 factors that could bring the score down a bit to lower-to-mid 80s:
  • Some of the "CaRPG" elements (and the upgrades for each car locked behind separate level progressions) won't sit well with some reviewers,
  • Some reviewers may feel that the game isn't as next-gen as advertised.
  • The lack of content at launch may also bring down the score by a couple of points.
Just a guess. Let's see.

Also: all the other big sim racers have some form of VR support, to my knowledge. While Forza Motorsport won't.

Even if it does get VR support (it should), that'll be a big kick in the nuts to Xbox version since MS still offer no VR support on Xbox.

Yup. Reviews in general are there for publishers more than customers today. Almost all games are updated at and after the release and post-launch content updates is more or less a norm but reviews are almost never updated at or after the release and content updates are never reviewed unless there is a huge boxed new release. Even 10 years later critics reviews just show how the day 0 version was.

It should change but I don't think it ever will until the aggregate sites start mandating it for reviews staying a part of the aggregate of the game itself.

Ozriel

M$FT
I also just remembered, MC doesn't do Xbox reviews split between the X and S. That should change IMO.

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

Perhaps Metacritic should also split reviews based on different generations of Nvidia and AMD GPUs?

Good thing review copies for this game were provided well before release, and reviews show up before release so people can freely cancel their pre-orders.
Nothing wrong with review embargos and they’re actually a great thing. The problem comes when the embargo ends at or after the release date.

These car racing games almost always rank highly (high 80s or lower 90s).

Almost always? AC, Project Cars 1&2 and GT Sport didn’t hit this band.

What lack of content ?

Last edited:

Fredrik

It should change but I don't think it ever will until the aggregate sites start mandating it for reviews staying a part of the aggregate of the game itself.
It must change, or critics reviews will just keep on becoming more irrelevant for consumers.
Extremely few games are the same as on review codes, and it’s not just about bugs it’s about features and economics and gameplay. A customer thinking about buying No Man’s Sky won’t be helped by reviews.

Worst part of it, critics whine if they don’t get review codes and punish publishers with lower scores later which only makes these fairly irrelevant early reviews be norm even though they rarely show the whole picture for normal consumers who go in later.

Then platform warriors fight years later over which platform have the highest scores on games and pretend the scores actually show the current state of the games.

The whole equation is broken.

If there is no subscription version where I can play test and make up my own mind I only trust my own instincts at this point, and use Steam reviews and filter out low playtime scores. I only use critics reviews to get a vague hunch if it’s a game for me. Anything above 7/10 is interesting in a genre I like.

supernova8

Banned
In some cases i'd agree. But if you send out review codes on x days before release i can see why a pub would genuinely want to give every reviewer the same amount of time to write an informed review.

I think your both right to be fair.
Every reviewer.....
Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

Obviously what counts as a "games journalist" these days seems to be very subjective but most publishers seem totally unwilling to give review code to people who will shit on the game if they don't like it.

Most recently we can point to fuckin Xbox evangelist 101 Colt Eastwood getting a Starfield key but some proper (ie clearly established) media outlets in the UK not getting codes. Also Eurogamer (initially before causing a stink) not getting a code but Digital Foundry getting codes lol. I'm not saying it's an Xbox problem, it's most likely an industry-wide issue.

It's funny we all shit on the likes of IGN and Gamespot but in a way they are kiiiiinda the most reliable now since very few developers/publishers are going to risk the inevitable backlash of providing review code to a bunch of people and not Gamespot/IGN. Sort of like how only rich people say what they really think in public because it's no longer possible to "cancel" them financially.

Forza Motorsport Review - This is not a sim racer. This is a Car RPG.

Score 8.5/10

PC Specs: 4090 RTX, Ryzen 9 7950X, 64 GB DDR5 Ram

Main Issues - Strange Car Leveling System, 60 FPS Locked in Multiplayer on PC + some other minor issues
Pros - Feels amazing to drive, great visuals, phenomenal sound/audio design, good multiplayer

The 20 Minute video goes into greater detail and explains everything that is wrong with the car leveling system alongside other minor annoyances. Of course positives are also discussed. The game is reviewed from a perspective of someone who have never played a Forza Motorsport game but has played Forza Horizon (yes I am well aware they are very different games by different devs, and I make sure to clarify that in the review.

Written Review - https://www.gaminginstincts.com/rev...ew-this-is-not-a-sim-racer-this-is-a-car-rpg/

Forza Motorsport will be receiving a final verdict of 8.5 out of 10. All in all, it’s a great game with a few weird design choices that hopefully could be addressed in the future. But the experience of racing itself is addicting, beautiful, and top-notch. It also has a ton of content for you to mess around with, 500 cars to collect, monthly rotational events to participate in, and a fun multiplayer mode to play by yourself or with your friends.

Last edited:
Top Bottom