• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport Reviews Embargo Lifts Soon

Where will Forza Motorsport land at For Final Meta Score?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kacho

Where’s the critique?
“It’s going to flop lol” doesn’t count.

I’m not the one triggered enough to post about sales flop in a thread about review 😂
I suspect it won’t resonate with players despite Turn 10 taking years off to make this reboot.

Kacho

As in people have moved on or the previews have underwhelmed you?
Both.

Sim players on PC have so many options now. I doubt Forza will be sim enough for them. We’ll have to see how the new physics are and if wheel driving feels better, but I’m not expecting miracles.

Omega.X

Neo Member
Does anyone know if this game has open-wheel or F1 cars? Also I hope they focused heavily on steering wheel support/FFB. I ultimately gave up on F7 pretty quickly when I couldn't get the wheel feeling right.

twilo99

Does anyone know if this game has open-wheel or F1 cars? Also I hope they focused heavily on steering wheel support/FFB. I ultimately gave up on F7 pretty quickly when I couldn't get the wheel feeling right.

I seem to remember some open wheel action from one of their promo videos, but it definitely didn’t look like a F1 car.. more like an older Indy

Senua

Both.

Sim players on PC have so many options now. I doubt Forza will be sim enough for them. We’ll have to see how the new physics are and if wheel driving feels better, but I’m not expecting miracles.
Sim players had just as many options on PC when FM7 was released. Forza Motorsport pretends to but doesn't really go for the hardcore sim crowd, they go for the middle ground, people who want a Gran Turismo type experience on PC/Xbox. I enjoy Forza because it is by far the best simulator to play on a gamepad, I can't always be arsed to get the wheel out for Assetto Corsa/Automobilista so Forza scratches that itch. Also a proper single player ala Gran Turismo is something it has over the PC sims.

GHG

These are the reviews I will pay attention to:
  • Billy Strange
  • Super GT
  • Dave Cam
  • Jardier
  • Jimmy Broadbent
  • GamerMuscle
  • James Baldwin (if he even plays it, he might well not even bother)
  • Dan Suzuki
  • Race beyond matter
  • Simracing 604
As harsh as it sounds, but I'm really not interested in hearing opinions from those who don't play racing games/sims and/or have only ever played Forza Horizon games. I want to know what it really feels like to drive, how is it with a wheel and whether or not the physics are actually improved for the better.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

• Billy Strange
  • Super GT
  • Dave Cam
  • Jardier
  • Jimmy Broadbent
  • GamerMuscle
  • Dan Suzuki
  • Race beyond matter
  • Simracing 604
As harsh as it sounds, but I'm really not interested in hearing opinions from those who don't play racing games/sims and/or have only ever played Forza Horizon games. I want to know what it really feels like to drive, how is it with a wheel and whether or not the physics are actually improved for the better.

Is Jimmy even covering it?

I've not seen any content from him relating to Forza in like.....ever?

Last edited:

GHG

Is Jimmy even covering it?

I've not seen any content from him relating to Forza in like.....ever?

He's covered the horizon games before:

And also done some random streams of the older Forza games. Provided he has time he tends to at least do a stream for pretty much every new major racing game release, so it will be interesting to see if he covers this one.

Last edited:

Bry0

Pc has many great sims with incredibly mediocre GAME design. FM8 doesn’t have much competition as a GT style game. And it’s launching on steam this time. I think it will do alright.

nikos

• Billy Strange
  • Super GT
  • Dave Cam
  • Jardier
  • Jimmy Broadbent
  • GamerMuscle
  • Dan Suzuki
  • Race beyond matter
  • Simracing 604

These are the same people I want to hear from as well. Wonder if they even have early access to the game. I have a feeling it may be better for Turn 10 if sim racing content creators don't get their opinion out on it before release.

I'm trying to keep my expectations low to avoid disappointment, but hoping it turns out to be good.

StueyDuck

Is it only me who feels like this release is like... strange?

The games going to be fantastic, no doubt about it.

But FMS was always like Halo's companion, these titles were always seen as like Events, you know they'd like wheel some concept car on stage then nasa will like drive a car on the moon for MS 😂 (obviously not I'm just being silly) and these games were always like a huge deal.

This doesn't seem like an event? Like it should do. Am I the only one?

Do we think maybe the horizon series kind of overtook and stole the thunder, or are racing games in general just of an abundance that another one doesn't seem to make much of a difference

StueyDuck

• Billy Strange
  • Super GT
  • Dave Cam
  • Jardier
  • Jimmy Broadbent
  • GamerMuscle
  • Dan Suzuki
  • Race beyond matter
  • Simracing 604
What about the kotaku/fanbyte/eurogamer/polygon/gamespot reviews that will list all the social injustices?

Not enough "just stop oil" protestors and you couldn't make your main character a fae/flem.

These are important criticisms of game design don't you know

Last edited:

SimTourist

Is it only me who feels like this release is like... strange?

The games going to be fantastic, no doubt about it.

But FMS was always like Halo's companion, these titles were always seen as like Events, you know they'd like wheel some concept car on stage then nasa will like drive a car on the moon for MS 😂 (obviously not I'm just being silly) and these games were always like a huge deal.

This doesn't seem like an event? Like it should do. Am I the only one?

Do we think maybe the horizon series kind of overtook and stole the thunder, or are racing games in general just of an abundance that another one doesn't seem to make much of a difference
Yes, Horizon is now the showcase game that attracts people, Motorsport has gotten more niche as time went on, it's too dry and serious for casual players, but not hardcore enough to attract serious simracers. Sales wise it peaked with Forza 3 and 4, Xbox One entries have gotten less and less sales with each entry which prompted this reboot in the first place. This is T10's last chance to turn things around otherwise they will become a support studio for Playground.

Elysium44

Banned
Hello everyone,

I am happy to inform you now that the NDA has been lifted that I have been granted access to Forza Motorsport retail version prior to its release on October 10th thanks to courtesy of Microsoft and the Xbox PR Team.

The reviews for Forza Motorsport on Xbox Series X|S and PC will be live on October 4th, 2023. I may not speak about the game, or my experiences until further date, but I can confirm that I am playing it as I type this. I am sure @Draugoth or someone else will make the standard review thread and I will be posting my review there along with others as well. Our publication will also have its review counted on www.opencritic.com - Until then fellas! For now feel free to ponder and discuss what the meta score might land at.

I am allowed to share a screenshot of the TItle Menu. I am also reviewing this on a RTX 4090, 7950X and 64 GB DDR5 Ram pc rig.

Does it let you turn off the haze filter?

What about the kotaku/fanbyte/eurogamer/polygon/gamespot reviews that will list all the social injustices?

Not enough "just stop oil" protestors and you couldn't make your main character a fae/flem.

These are important criticisms of game design don't you know
Out of 500 cars how come about 495 of them run on oil , 6/10 final score for not enough electric cars and less than 21 genders to choose from

From what I've seen the only negative thing about the game is the 20 track locations where as I think fm7 had 37 and gt7 released with 34 locations and almost double the amount of layouts , it's hard to justify that u have half the amount of locations of rival game and Ur last game that came out 6 years ago tbh.
Yes I know they are built from the ground up but they should've atleast released 30 tracks on launch 20 for me personally is too low of a number.
I'll be there day 1 on gp but that 20 tracks people will get bored pretty soon

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
These are the same people I want to hear from as well. Wonder if they even have early access to the game. I have a feeling it may be better for Turn 10 if sim racing content creators don't get their opinion out on it before release.

I'm trying to keep my expectations low to avoid disappointment, but hoping it turns out to be good.
The majority of these are more into hardcore sims. Forza won't be your thing if your into iRacing/Assetto Corsa. If Gran Turismo is your type of game you should be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dural

From what I've seen the only negative thing about the game is the 20 track locations where as I think fm7 had 37 and gt7 released with 34 locations and almost double the amount of layouts , it's hard to justify that u have half the amount of locations of rival game and Ur last game that came out 6 years ago tbh.
Yes I know they are built from the ground up but they should've atleast released 30 tracks on launch 20 for me personally is too low of a number.
I'll be there day 1 on gp but that 20 tracks people will get bored pretty soon

Agreed, even if they couldn't scan and rebuild all the real tracks you'd think they could add all the fantasy tracks from all the previous games.

Agreed, even if they couldn't scan and rebuild all the real tracks you'd think they could add all the fantasy tracks from all the previous games.
Yeah and call them legacy tracks or something and then keep on slowly updating them , yet here we are after 6 years with 20 track locals those tracks from Dubai in fm7 were amazing even they didn't made the cut.
20 tracks in a 2023 game after a 6 years hiatus is just too low tbh

Gonna be bold and guess this will score somewhere between 0 and 100. Feeling pretty confident. Enough to make a jizz bet with Banjo64 Banjo64

Chill Relax GIF

Taycan77

The career mode and progression system will be extremely marmite. Most seasoned players seem to dislike the system T10 have implemented, though admittedly the haven't tried it yet. The game is also missing many important circuits, both real world like Nordschleife, Monza, Brands Hatch, and Forza originals.

I feel Motorsport will also be unfairly compared to Horizon by those more inclined to arcade racers. While the sim crowd will still have grumbles about phyics and other aspects like online racing. I feel Super GT was holding back on criticism when he was previewing it.

I'll go 82-88. Really depends on which outlets are reviewing it, some of the sim oriented sites & channels are unlikely to be on Metacritic.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Looks like the embargo lifts on October 4th in Australia, which means October 3rd in the US:

06:01pm AEST Oct 4th equates to 3:01am EST Oct 3rd in the US.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Back when the initial trailer was shown. We heard constantly how this game would destroy it’s competitor. Now a few years later the hype level is pretty low and even a few of the biggest sim racers weren’t really blown away.

Horizon has pretty much destroyed the Motorsport franchise already. Horizon was fun because it was arcady from its origin. Motorsport doesn’t look like it will have the same hype level as it’s competitor this time around.

Rac3r

As someone who plays a ton of ACC and GT, everything I've seen of FM8 makes me confident that this game will be a disappointment. Early impressions from people I trust have also been pretty underwhelming. There's a lack of tracks at launch, FFB is supposedly bad (as usual), AI looks rough, car models look bad, some track details are worse than FM7, etc.

Maybe the career mode will have enough variety to boost reviews, but the questionable racing experience and poor attention to detail makes me think high 70s to low 80s.

ShakenG

Looks like the embargo lifts on October 4th in Australia, which means October 3rd in the US:

06:01pm AEST Oct 4th equates to 3:01am EST Oct 3rd in the US.

Australia is ahead of US in time? US should be 5th.
Edit, im wrong. Apologies.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
My review is finished and is scheduled to go live on October 4th, 12:01 AM PT/3:01 AM EST.

It's a whopping 3600 or so words and is 20 minutes long in video length at 4K 60 capture running on a 4090 RTX, Ryzen 7950 X and 64 GB of DDR5.

Stay tuned!
That's massive and I'm growing...

Top Bottom