• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport Reviews Embargo Lifts Soon

Where will Forza Motorsport land at For Final Meta Score?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Australia is ahead of US in time? US should be 5th.

No you have it backwards. Time is always earlier in the US than Australia. So if something occurred in the morning of October 4 in Australia, it would be October 3 in the US. That said, I don’t know the actual embargo of this game.

Last edited:

ShakenG

No you have it backwards. Time is always earlier in the US than Australia. So if something occurred in the morning of October 4 in Australia, it would be October 3 in the US. That said, I don’t know the actual embargo of this game.
It is 5:15 pm, 3rd here in Aus. What am i missing? Isnt it 3:15am 3rd Washington?
99% sure Aus is ahead of US in time.

Last edited:

Taycan77

Back when the initial trailer was shown. We heard constantly how this game would destroy it’s competitor. Now a few years later the hype level is pretty low and even a few of the biggest sim racers weren’t really blown away.

Horizon has pretty much destroyed the Motorsport franchise already. Horizon was fun because it was arcady from its origin. Motorsport doesn’t look like it will have the same hype level as it’s competitor this time around.
I’m a big Gran Turismo fan but I enjoy all titles in the sim genre. When I heard Forza Motorsport was going to be next-gen (now currentl-gen) only I was quite prepared to buy a Series X. Even a high-end PC…particularly if GT7 is also announced for PC.

But ever since that first in-engine reveal I’ve been hugely disappointed in what I’ve seen. Despite claims of being built from the ground-up it clearly isn’t. But, the aspects that are all-new, really don’t look all that impressive. It seems to be coming in hot with some tracks clearly not having the care & attention they need. Not quite Halo Infinite levels of lack of polish, but the ray-tracing implementation is doing a lot of heavy lifting.

On the gameplay front the physics still look strange. I don’t put a lot of stock into YouTube footage from players who think the brake pedal is an optional accessory! But cars still pivot from the centre and the in-car view still looks strange. The career choices are also strange, taking away the freedom to build you own cars, as you wish. While the car list itself is heavily Forza Horizon influenced so lacking in race cars. Then again it’s also lacking many important race tracks.

I’ve no doubt it will be a very solid title. It should hit 85-90 as it’s still casual friendly for a sim. But amongst the sim community the previews have been lukewarm. As for the game’s commercial performance I’m not expecting it to pull-up any trees. FH has stolen FM’s thunder on Xbox. While console sim players seem to have returned to GT7. MS will give us some impressions Gamepass numbers, but as we’ve seen, this doesn’t tell us a great deal.

SimTourist

I’m a big Gran Turismo fan but I enjoy all titles in the sim genre. When I heard Forza Motorsport was going to be next-gen (now currentl-gen) only I was quite prepared to buy a Series X. Even a high-end PC…particularly if GT7 is also announced for PC.

But ever since that first in-engine reveal I’ve been hugely disappointed in what I’ve seen. Despite claims of being built from the ground-up it clearly isn’t. But, the aspects that are all-new, really don’t look all that impressive. It seems to be coming in hot with some tracks clearly not having the care & attention they need. Not quite Halo Infinite levels of lack of polish, but the ray-tracing implementation is doing a lot of heavy lifting.

On the gameplay front the physics still look strange. I don’t put a lot of stock into YouTube footage from players who think the brake pedal is an optional accessory! But cars still pivot from the centre and the in-car view still looks strange. The career choices are also strange, taking away the freedom to build you own cars, as you wish. While the car list itself is heavily Forza Horizon influenced so lacking in race cars. Then again it’s also lacking many important race tracks.

I’ve no doubt it will be a very solid title. It should hit 85-90 as it’s still casual friendly for a sim. But amongst the sim community the previews have been lukewarm. As for the game’s commercial performance I’m not expecting it to pull-up any trees. FH has stolen FM’s thunder on Xbox. While console sim players seem to have returned to GT7. MS will give us some impressions Gamepass numbers, but as we’ve seen, this doesn’t tell us a great deal.
Forza lacks identity, it's doing an okay job in most aspects but never achieves greatness in any individual component. They managed to gain some ground during Xbox 360 years because Polyphony was struggling a bit with the PS3 but even in those years GT sold way more. Since GT got back on track with GT Sport/7 and PC Sims like Assetto Corsa exploded in popularity Forza has failed to compete. It's only now getting things like tyre compounds, qualifying, penalties, dynamic time and weather, dynamic shadows - all things that other games have had for years, it's merely catching up to the competition but I'm not seeing anything pushing the genre forward.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Wait Goodbye GIF by Silicon Valley

LastBattle

I’m looking to buy a wheel for Forza to add an extra bit of immersion. I’m thinking the Logitech G923 as it’s not too expensive but sounds to be a pretty good entry wheel with force feedback, etc. also gonna probably but the shifter and a cheap stand so I don’t have to attempt to balance the thing on my lap. Anyone have any experience with the G923?

It is 5:15 pm, 3rd here in Aus. What am i missing? Isnt it 3:15am 3rd Washington?
99% sure Aus is ahead of US in time.

Yes you are saying the same thing I said now lol. But you worded it poorly in your first post to make it sound like you were disagreeing with the other poster (and seemed to be suggesting the US would be the 5th if Australia is the 4th which makes no sense).

Last edited:

nikos

I’m looking to buy a wheel for Forza to add an extra bit of immersion. I’m thinking the Logitech G923 as it’s not too expensive but sounds to be a pretty good entry wheel with force feedback, etc. also gonna probably but the shifter and a cheap stand so I don’t have to attempt to balance the thing on my lap. Anyone have any experience with the G923?

There are affordable direct drive options that are way better than the G923. Look into the Fanatec CSL DD or even Moza products.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Dural

Are you playing on Xbox or PC? If Xbox, the Fanatec CSL DD is way better, if PC the Cammus C5 recently came out and is a great budget option.

GHG

Get a Moza R3 or R5 bundle. If you're on Xbox instead of PC then the R3 is officially licenced for that console. If you're on PC then you can get any wheel/pedal combo you want and even mix and match if need be.

Logitech stuff is bottom of the barrel and there are far better options for similar or not too much more money.

Last edited:
I don't get why people keep getting confused about time zones here and when exactly something is launching.

A review embargo cannot lift early in 1 part of the world lol. It all lifts at same time.

Forza Motorsport lifts tonight at midnight at 12:00 AM on October 4th Pacific Time/California time That will also be 3:00 AM EST New York/Miami time

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I don't get why people keep getting confused about time zones here and when exactly something is launching.

A review embargo cannot lift early in 1 part of the world lol. It all lifts at same time.

Forza Motorsport lifts tonight at midnight at 12:00 AM on October 4th Pacific Time/California time That will also be 3:00 AM EST New York/Miami time

No one was saying it's lifting early in parts of the world... But 6:01pm in Australia is 3:00am in eastern US.

ShakenG

Yes you are saying the same thing I said now lol. But you worded it poorly in your first post to make it sound like you were disagreeing with the other poster (and seemed to be suggesting the US would be the 5th if Australia is the 4th which makes no sense).
I certainly didnt, but lets move on.

Elysium44

Banned
Turn 10 and Playground have been Microsoft’s most reliable studios in recent years

Turn 10 haven't made a game since 2017 and that was widely considered mediocre. Playground I'll give you.

I voted 75 to 80 for this new game. Outside the predictable 95-100 scores from the usual suspects, I am expecting several 60-70 scores from more respected reviewers. We'll see. All the signs so far are the game is going to be painfully average to slightly below average, with lacking content at launch an additional negative, which it does deserve to be marked down on seeing as you pay full price up front.

Last edited:
Turn 10 haven't made a game since 2017 and that was widely considered mediocre. Playground I'll give you.

I voted 75 to 80 for this new game. Outside the predictable 95-100 scores from the usual suspects, I am expecting several 60-70 scores from more respected reviewers. We'll see. All the signs so far are the game is going to be painfully average to slightly below average, with lacking content at launch an additional negative, which it does deserve to be marked down on seeing as you pay full price up front.
I think Forza 7, while not perfect, was a well regarded game. It also improved much over time as they continued to add to it. This review thread is running a poll for the meta score on the new Forza Motorsport. It's probably worth revisiting what Forza 7 scored. It's current meta score is 86 obtained from 80 critic reviews. I'd argue a game that is mid 80's is far from "widely considered mediocre". I'd even argue that if it weren't for the awful loot box mechanic (which was thankfully removed entirely by T10 later on) that it would have been a 90+ rated game. Again, the game isn't without it's flaws, but it's far from mediocre.

Gobjuduck

Banned
91, forza is a pretty safe franchise with critics. turn 10 and playground delivers what’s expected and does it very well.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
This review thread is running a poll for the meta score on the new Forza Motorsport.

Yes, yes I know

It's probably worth revisiting what Forza 7 scored. It's current meta score is 86 obtained from 80 critic reviews. I'd argue a game that is mid 80's is far from "widely considered mediocre".

6.5 metacritic player score. I played it, the multiplayer was utterly atrocious for the first year or two, and widely seen as such. Turn 10 lied about the game before release and said it would be much better than it turned out to be. There are already multiple warning signs that they're doing the same sort of thing again this time. I expect it to be a slight improvement over FM7 but with significantly less content at least on launch.

Ozriel

M$FT

This reads like wishful thinking.

Forza 7’s Metacritic of 86% clearly doesn’t say ‘widely considered average’

Turn 10 has been a consistent performer when it comes to putting out quality Forza titles, and I’d be surprised if this title that’s been designed to significantly improve not just the driving experience but also the online multiplayer comes out to middling critical reception.

Where’s the ‘lacking content at launch’ narrative coming from?

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Yes, yes I know

6.5 metacritic player score. I played it, the multiplayer was utterly atrocious for the first year or two, and widely seen as such. Turn 10 lied about the game before release and said it would be much better than it turned out to be. There are already multiple warning signs that they're doing the same sort of thing again this time. I expect it to be a slight improvement over FM7 but with significantly less content at least on launch.
F1 22 has 3.7 for user score, Dirt Rally has 6.1 for user score, GT7 has 2.3 for user score, GTS has 6.1 for user score, Iracing has 6.7 for user score and Assetto Corsa has 6.1 for user score. Does that mean that those games are shit? Absolutely not, they are one of the best racing sim games out there with some flaws just like FM7. And user scores are filled with fanboys that give 0's to a game they don't even own.

Catphish

The G923 is not a bad starter wheel. My buddy just bought one, and I had one for awhile. There is a concern, however, with the stiffness of the brake pedal. It's up against some internal rubber stop that cannot be accessed without opening the casing. The stiffness is overdone in both our opinions and, unless you have the pedals mounted to a rig, they'll likely move under pressure. I recommend you do some research, read/watch reviews, and consider a different pedal set, if possible. Load cell is where it's at.

Also, my personal recommendation is to not buy anything that will be shipped to you. I only buy racing kit from brick & mortar stores, so I can easily return if there are issues (including buyer's remorse). The simracing reddit has far too many horror stories about poor customer service from the likes of Moza and even Fanatec for my liking. It's bad enough when you're unhappy with a $400 purchase, only compounded when customer service is jerking you around.

Presently, I have a TS-PC racer and am quite happy with it. But it's $600, so may be out of your price range.

Ultimately, I recommend you buy whatever you choose from an actual store, so you can return it without drama, should the need arise.

Last edited:

sendit

The G923 is not a bad starter wheel. My buddy just bought one, and I had one for awhile. There is a concern, however, with the stiffness of the brake pedal. It's up against some internal rubber stop that cannot be accessed without opening the casing. The stiffness is overdone in both our opinions and, unless you have the pedals mounted to a rig, they'll likely move under pressure. I recommend you do some research, read/watch reviews, and consider a different pedal set, if possible. Load cell is where it's at.

Also, my personal recommendation is to not buy anything that will be shipped to you. I only buy racing kit from brick & mortar stores, so I can easily return if there are issues (including buyer's remorse). The simracing reddit has far too many horror stories about poor customer service from the likes of Moza and even Fanatec for my liking. It's bad enough when you're unhappy with a $400 purchase, only compounded when customer service is jerking you around.

Presently, I have a TS-PC racer and am quite happy with it. But it's $600, so may be out of your price range.

Ultimately, I recommend you buy whatever you choose from an actual store, so you can return it without drama, should the need arise.
I second this. Make sure you have a stable base. Brake pedal is way too stiff.

Yes, yes I know

Fanboys and angry people will review bomb games. Others will give it a low score do to one feature/aspect they don't like and discount the rest of the game. For example, do you think Gran Turismo 7 is a 2.3 overall game? Because that's what the user score for that is currently. I think it's more like an 8-9 game as the metacritic score indicates. I get you may rate Forza 7 a 6.5 (or some mediocre score) yourself. But Forza 7 was widely considered a much better game than that.

Ozriel

M$FT

slight improvement? they’ve already shown significant evidence that the multiplayer has been completely overhauled.

F1 22 has 3.7 for user score, Dirt Rally has 6.1 for user score, GT7 has 2.3 for user score, GTS has 6.1 for user score, Iracing has 6.7 for user score and Assetto Corsa has 6.1 for user score. Does that mean that those games are shit? Absolutely not, they are one of the best racing sim games out there with some flaws just like FM7. And user scores are filled with fanboys that give 0's to a game they don't even own.

A solid, 100% data driven rebuttal.

Ozriel

M$FT
Are you unaware the track list is very light and missing lots of the previous ones?

Yes. It’s still 20 tracks, hardly an anemic launch. the rest are coming and they’ve clarified it’s this way because they’re building up each of the tracks from the ground up.

If the launch track list is a deal breaker for you, it’s perfectly fine for you to stay out of Forza threads until you’re happy. They’ve already announced two additional tracks by December, one in November and one in December.

ShakenG

OK but you said this lol:
“US should be 5th” in response to a post that said the 4th Australian time, so…
Honestly cant believe i have to explain this.
Aus is something like 12hrs (14?) ahead of US.
Its possible to be the same date with the US. Its not possible for it to be the 4th in Aus while its the 3rd in the US.

Im not sure why you're struggling with this.. ive been very clear from the start.

You're original comment that was wrong.
"No you have it backwards. Time is always earlier in the US than Australia. So if something occurred in the morning of October 4 in Australia, it would be October 3 in the US. That said, I don’t know the actual embargo of this game."

Not sure you should be calling anyone out.

Someone else even said i was correct, move on.

Last edited:
Honestly cant believe i have to explain this.
Aus is something like 12hrs (14?) ahead of US.
Its possible to be the same date with the US. Its not possible for it to be the 4th in Aus while its the 3rd in the US.

Im not sure why you're struggling with this.. ive been very clear from the start.

You're original comment that was wrong.
"No you have it backwards. Time is always earlier in the US than Australia. So if something occurred in the morning of October 4 in Australia, it would be October 3 in the US. That said, I don’t know the actual embargo of this game."

Not sure you should be calling anyone out.

Someone else even said i was correct, move on.

What? In your post you said the 4th in Australia would be the 5th in the US. I literally quoted you on that, and that’s wrong. This is hilarious. Just take the L and move on. Also, they said your second post was correct which is when you fixed what you were saying/said it differently. Sorry, but you are brutal.

Last edited:

ShakenG

What? In your post you said the 4th in Australia would be the 5th in the US. I literally quoted you on that, and that’s wrong. This is hilarious. Just take the L and move on. Also, they said your second post was correct which is when you fixed what you were saying/said it differently. Sorry, but you are brutal.
Quote it so i can see it thanks. Im not seeing where i said that. If i did, fair enough. But where is it?

At the most, maybe i made a typo. But you're still wrong. AUS is ahead of US time and thats something you haven't corrected or even acknowledged.

As for" just take the L" grow up mate.

Last edited:
Quote it so i can see it thanks. Im not seeing where i said that. If i did, fair enough. But where is it?

I did already. Go back to your first post about this. Someone said the Australian time and you said “US should be 5th” which would have been later than the Australian time. So that is all I was correcting. Then you clarified what you meant later and said it correctly.

Last edited:

ShakenG

I did already. Go back to your first post about this. Someone said the Australian time and you said “US should be 5th” which would have been later than the Australian time. So that is all I was correcting. Then you clarified what you meant later and said it correctly.
Edit, deleted.. not wasting anymore time on this.

Last edited:

I'm certain that the problematic state of Forza Motorsports launch HAS A LOT to do with GamePass. It encourages too much negatives from studios. Anything that has a multiplayer is going to be GAAS, bug ridden releases are likely, light on content because they are incentivised to release content over time, etc

Top Bottom