• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little things in life that you are passionate about/make your life better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I guess I've gained a certain reputation on GAF for my oddly detailed threads devoted to pens, pencils, and paper:

VeuGWAd.png

Why did they need to specify that they meant it as a compliment???

I admit that most people I meet think that having a strong pen preference in general is slightly weird, while having a strong preference for specific ballpoint pens is decidedly nutso. But hey - I like to write by hand and my job requires that I use a ballpoint pen. I do a lot of writing every day and having tools that I really like using makes the experience a lot better *and* encourages me to do more writing for pleasure (trying out new fountain pens and inks is just really super fun to me!). With the ballpoint pens in particular, the $20 I spent on a really, really nice pen makes the part of my job that everyone hates the most - the endless amount of documentation that is required - into something way less odious. The improvement to my daily life is actually pretty big for that $20 investment. And I literally cannot count the number of times gorgeous members of the fairer sex have come up to me and said, "If that is a Pilot S20, you need to make love to me right now."

20130323_e57ef3.jpg

So, in that spirit, are there little things that you are strangely passionate about and/or where you have found the version of some little thing in your life that makes some everyday task way better?
I'm not talking about the $1200 graphics card that makes your games run way better, or the luxury car that is way more pleasurable to drive than the 1987 Chevy Malibu with the transmission problem that you used to drive around in. This is more along the lines of, say, the keyring you found that you just love, or how you found the world's greatest bottle opener, the best kind of windshield washer fluid, the socks that you get all of your friends hooked on, or the pocket flashlight that you improbably describe as "kicking so much fucking ass!"* - things that people take for granted where you've found one version that just makes you happy to use or that is just the absolute best.

fvKk4Iy.png

Aside from my passion for particular brands of, say, paper, here are two other examples of little things that I really love that most people never think about.

I was handed these and told that they are "the world's greatest folding pocket scissors," a remark which made me look at the person who said this in the way that most people look at me when I show them "the world's greatest ballpoint pen."

But holy shit are these amazing folding pocket scissors! They feel like they come from some alternate dimension where every product, no matter how mundane, is precision-crafted to the highest possible standards, fit only for kings and queens. There is something so intrinsically pleasing about a perfectly crafted object, even when that object is a tiny pair of scissors.

81Fk8puCSaL._SX425_.jpg

I really dislike shaving, but after being given a bottle of this shaving cream, I don't mind it quite as much. I'm tempted to give wet shaving a try, but until that day arrives, I'm using this and getting a better shave than I ever have before. I used to just grab whatever was on sale, because I could not tell much difference. But this stuff is so much better than anything else I have ever tried I'm never going back.

So tell me about the world's greatest pepper grinder, GAF! Or the measuring cup that changed your life. I want to hear about the tweezers that made you believe in love again.

*There are HUGE forums devoted just to flashlights. A bad flashlight definitely sucks, and I can appreciate a nice, bright flashlight, but these people are insane.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
So you decided to enjoy my flashlight stories and then make fun of me :( Great :(

My answer is flashlights. Will get pics of my favourites, but for now I will say I really like the fenix brand.

EDIT: Look at this beauty. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00I14HLLS/

130 lumens out of a single aa battery. Honestly, every key ring should have one. I have the old e01 but maybe it's time for an upgrade

Ayumi

So you decided to enjoy my flashlight stories and then make fun of me :( Great :(

My answer is flashlights. Will get pics of my favourites, but for now I will say I really like the fenix brand.
NGL, I totally read that as "fleshlight".

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

EDIT: Look at this beauty. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00I14HLLS/

130 lumens out of a single aa battery. Honestly, every key ring should have one. I have the old e01 but maybe it's time for an upgrade

I was very much inspired by your love of flashlights!

I don't have anything like this, but it sounds lovely!

Maybe when I have a job and the disposable income to develop my own idiosyncrasies...

different Cremo product, but their face wash is literally the only thing on the market that actually cleared up my skin and kept it clear after decades of struggle. if you've been battling acne even into adulthood and think it's something you just have to live with, seriously try this.

for everything non-face cleaning, including the house, Dr. Bronner's soaps are the only choice available if you want things to be like, actually clean instead of covered in a chemical film.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Adult colouring books, markers and pencil crayons

I'm on mobile, or else i'd have links and images, but have you tried Koh-I-Noor Tri-tone colored pencils? I received a set as a gift and fell madly in love. I keep them on my desk at work and people LOVE to come by and play with them. They're super fun and a smaller set is pretty cheap.

KEM playing cards.

They're cards made out of 100% cellulose acetate. The material not only causes them to snap back into shape after your nephew tries to show you how to make one into a paper hat but the way the cards shuffle is nothing short of transcendent.

Whenever I attend a poker game I bring a set along and, when some jackass inevitably tries to introduce the same set of Bicycle cards he's lugged between three moves or Mr. Cool drops the centrefolds of the 80's deck he got at Spencer's while picking up the horrendous t-shirt he's wearing, i ask someone at the table who has never used then to shuffle them once.

The moment they feel the cards effortlessly slip in line behind one another like the hands shuffling them were the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket their face changes. A feeling of elation lingers as they know their quality of life has immediately been improved and at some point is washed away by the dread of knowing all their days until this point have been wasted.

They're like $10. Don't live without them.

I'm on mobile, or else i'd have links and images, but have you tried Koh-I-Noor Tri-tone colored pencils? I received a set as a gift and fell madly in love. I keep them on my desk at work and people LOVE to come by and play with them. They're super fun and a smaller set is pretty cheap.

No, I haven't. This is the first I'd heard of them. (Thanks)

I may order some from Amazon sometime. They look neat. A 12 pack is about $18 on sale, and the 24 pack is $69.99, so I'll go with the smaller one if so.

You make awesome threads Bagels. I don't want to stir up too much shit but I'm gonna say any spatula that is not one solid piece is total shit. Rubber spatulas are shit too, they melt easily. Silicone spatulas all the way.

dpunk3

Waterproof phone cases. I have a crippling OCD, and when my phone falls on the ground I need to wash it. I went through 5 phones in 3 months until I finally found Lifeproof cases. I don't know about other brands, because there really aren't much. The Nuud and Fre models of the 6 are garbage, I have the Fre Power and couldn't be happier as of now.

Symphonia

Banned
Baking.

I love to bake. If I ever have time off work, and I have an afternoon free, I'll make bread or a cake or even pizza for dinner that night. So much better and healthier than shop bought baked goods.

Text based roleplaying.

It's something that I can do, hop on, and enjoy myself for a while, exploring and expanding on the worlds of the games I love.

Video game music. I love a wide variety of music in general, but there's just something about video game music that separates it from the pack.

It provides relaxation after a stressful day of work, and certain tracks even provoke a strong sense of nostalgia.

I just love it.

Zukuu

Banned
My 5 biggest quality of life improvement purchases:
- My 10m HDMI cable that hooks up my PC into my TV so I can use it as secondary monitor.
- My ikea 2 bucks plastic tray, which I use every day to carry around my meals comfortable and prevent having to clean up where I eat..
- My ikea 2 bucks gummy mat I put onto said tray so my meals don't move around.
- My two rather expensive bed sheets. Uber comfy and never get any wrinkles, so they always look very tidy.
- My remote controlled power outlets are also very awesome. No more standby lights when I want to sleep and can easily turn my ventilator on / off.

What always makes me happy:
A bottle ice cold Coke Zero from the freezer. <3

This fun little beaut. The Ozeri Re-chargeable Electric Wine Bottle Opener.

31cc0C4rHvL._SY355_.jpg

The foil cutter actually works, which is a marvel in itself after having gone through various other wine bottle openers. The opener itself is fun; the fact that they made the sides transparent is cool, because you can watch the coil work into the cork and pull it out. Then just press the button in the opposite direction and the cork is easily disposed.

Hugs. I got two from my friend the other day. She made life feel quite a bit better. Hugs are really great.

There's also a cleaning brush I bought to clean up grout line in the shower. It's pretty good at it and it's nice to not see so much yellow staining our those moldy-looking stains.

samn

Hugs. I got two from my friend the other day. She made life feel quite a bit better. Hugs are really great.

There's also a cleaning brush I bought to clean up grout line in the shower. It's pretty good at it and it's nice to not see so much yellow staining our those moldy-looking stains.

I don't like hugs. I always squeeze too hard and get a scowl.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm a simple man, I like simple things like manga, comics, movies, video games and tv shows.

Man I absolutely LOVE hugs. One of the best things in life, no question about it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Love this thread idea. Always enjoy your topics, Bagel. I have a nice collection of pens and papers because if you.

I'll give examples and pictures tonight; but some things off the top of my head:

- Made-to-measure shirts
- Nice, well-tailored suits
- Goodyear-welted shoes
- Mechanical keyboards
- A nice computer monitor
- Great headphones
- A good camera
- Filson bags
- high-quality meats

Etc, etc...

Pets and computers. Nort sure what I'd do with my life without them.

I'm fascinated by birds, reptiles and marine life and I've always had some of those as pets for as long as I can remember. I have two rescue birds at the moment and much of my every day life revolves around taking care of them.

Computers are cool.

fep

Shoot, I love stuff like this. I have a feeling this thread is going to cost me money.

I have a few things to share once I get off mobile, but I'll contribute one now: a small shoehorn. I got one at a Target and I take it everywhere. It's in my backpack or messenger bag when I'm going somewhere and I bought another one that permanently lives in my gym bag.

I am no longer awkward putting my shoes back on at the entrance of a friend's house! I know this is nerdy, but I feel like a badass now when I whip it out. I, like you, also cannot count the number of times it has gotten me a date.

A side note, when I went to Europe at least half the families I visited had a shoehorn available near their front door. We in the US are truly heathens.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
KEM playing cards.

They're cards made out of 100% cellulose acetate. The material not only causes them to snap back into shape after your nephew tries to show you how to make one into a paper hat but the way the cards shuffle is nothing short of transcendent.

Whenever I attend a poker game I bring a set along and, when some jackass inevitably tries to introduce the same set of Bicycle cards he's lugged between three moves or Mr. Cool drops the centrefolds of the 80's deck he got at Spencer's while picking up the horrendous t-shirt he's wearing, i ask someone at the table who has never used then to shuffle them once.

The moment they feel the cards effortlessly slip in line behind one another like the hands shuffling them were the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket their face changes. A feeling of elation lingers as they know their quality of life has immediately been improved and at some point is washed away by the dread of knowing all their days until this point have been wasted.

They're like $10. Don't live without them.

I left the topic pretty open-ended, so answer how you'd like, but this is such a great example of the kind of thing I had in mind. Thanks for sharing this!

I left the topic pretty open-ended, so answer how you'd like, but this is such a great example of the kind of thing I had in mind. Thanks for sharing this!

No prob! Thanks for your recommendations.

As much as I can appreciate how great hugs and pets are, show me all the exceptional bobbles my life is missing GAF! How else am I supposed to spend money irresponsibly?!

For me, there's no one particular thing, but I try to get higher-end versions of everything--including generally low-end stuff, like sound bars and dog food. I spent a considerable amount of time reading forums and reviews, comparing Enfamil and Similac, for example, just to have the pediatrician tell me they're the same. I'll temporally have passion for pretty much anything.

EDIT: just kidding. Sonicare.

Nymerio

Since I don't have a working coffee machine in my new office yet I've come to appreciate coffee a lot more. I enjoy my cup of coffee before I leave for work a lot more now.

Also, I've become pretty passionate about keeping a journal. Just sitting down with a glass of whiskey and writing about what's been going down since the last entry has helped me a lot. I think it's helped me a lot to grow as a person since I've started doing it and it's something I'd definetely recommend to try.

Edit: Oh, and I'm a bit of a lurker in the pen thread but I've absolutely developed a thing for pens. I have a couple filled up with all kinds of nib sizes and different inks and I try to rotate through them when writing my journal.

- The smell and feel of rain that ends a tropic like day. Refreshing in every way. Also the only times I don't mind walking in the rain.

- When you wake up a bit too early on a cold winter day, get your sheets off, then notice you have just a few more minutes to enjoy that warmth and crawl right back beneat it. Roll over into fetus position for extra feels!

- Riding my longboard by myself in more rural areas, music on, cruising away, thinking about whatever.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Since I don't have a working coffee machine in my new office yet I've come to appreciate coffee a lot more. I enjoy my cup of coffee before I leave for work a lot more now.

Also, I've become pretty passionate about keeping a journal. Just sitting down with a glass of whiskey and writing about what's been going down since the last entry has helped me a lot. I think it's helped me a lot to grow as a person since I've started doing it and it's something I'd definetely recommend to try.

Edit: Oh, and I'm a bit of a lurker in the pen thread but I've absolutely developed a thing for pens. I have a couple filled up with all kinds of nib sizes and different inks and I try to rotate through them when writing my journal.

YES to all of this! Keeping a journal is a simple pleasure that adds meaning to just about every area of my life.

I am so happy that people have gotten into my threads about pens. I try to focus on really affordable pens, like the $15 Pilot Metropolitan, that can nonetheless completely transform how you feel about the act of writing. I used to think of the physical act of writing as this impediment to a thing I really loved - the mental component of writing. Now, I love both parts and writing is more fun than ever.

My Contigo canteen is freaking amazing. I love it.
Best $20 I've ever spend on something I use everyday for work. It's amazing how after 4 hours of sitting in a hot car, I can still get ice cold water. Amazing.

Criterion blurays. In addition to generally be amazing movies with excellent transfers and a wealth of supplements, I geek out hard over the packaging. None of that flimsy, thin, garbage Bluray case that feels like cost less than a penny to produce, and they don't have that hideous blue either. They all have really tasteful and often gorgeous covers that they commission artists for (occassionally using iconic poster art), but they also have uniform and tasteful criterion labeling, with the logo in the corner, clear info on the year the film came out, run time, aspect ratio, and spine number. It makes em look real nice on a shelf. And then when you crack em open you not only get a handsome disc, but you get a booklet (or a fold out with the recent releases, ugh) that has some quality reading material to get you in the mood for the film, usually a critical essay, interview excerpt, or review.

Basically everything about them feels like a wholistic and respectful package that does justice to the movie itself. When you buy a criterion, you're not just getting a great movie, you get the whole deal.

Sometimes they go all out for special movies (idk how they determine this) and release digipacks that have cardboard slipcovers, internal art, and some extras like booklets, a book the movie was based on, extra discs for different cuts or special features. They're not nearly as sturdy as the plastic cases, but they definitely have a special feel to them.

Mr. Hyde

YES to all of this! Keeping a journal is a simple pleasure that adds meaning to just about every area of my life.

I am so happy that people have gotten into my threads about pens. I try to focus on really affordable pens, like the $15 Pilot Metropolitan, that can nonetheless completely transform how you feel about the act of writing. I used to think of the physical act of writing as this impediment to a thing I really loved - the mental component of writing. Now, I love both parts and writing is more fun than ever.

I really need a beautiful pen designed for left handers. I get sad seeing the ink smear everywhere.

Kozak

Banned
- Writing and producing Electronic music: I swear writing and producing Electronic music is such a massive journey with so many roadblocks and breakthroughs along the way. I feel the effort its taken to get me to where I am now (still early days) has made me a stronger, focused and more disciplined person.
- My girlfriend: Sometimes I just stare at her and watch her do her thing. She's so inspiring. I didn't think any person could have so much good and love in them as my mother but there you go.
- My family: I'm sure this is self-explanatory. Nothing really compares to the relationship you can have with your family. If you're fortunate to be brought into a loving family, don't take it for granted. Your family members can be your best friends as well as family.
- Being a good person and contributing to my community: I think all my 18-20s I was dreaming of making it big so I could do good on a mass scale. I didn't realize that to get big, you had to start small. It all looked overnight to me. Then I read somewhere on the internet "if you want to make a difference in the world, start locally with your community" and that completely changed the way I approached life. Grounded me and actually gave me a starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom