• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 confirmed, Game Informer info, Trailer released

Loudninja

gofreak said:
I'd reiterate what I said earlier - considering the scope of the first's tools, and how they delivered on that, I've every faith they can deliver on their plans for this. MM knows how to pick their battles. I'd also note - though it's not hugely important - but they're no longer a 20-something team. They've grown to about 40 people now. Still small by most dev's standards these days, but bigger than they were when they made the first.

Now that Sony bought them they will have many more resources to work with as well.

No_Style

gofreak said:
More specifically you can change the behaviour of your character...vs the physics per se. But I suppose if you make all your characters control a certain way as if in a certain physical context, it's much of a muchness.

Sackboy will still control as sackboy, it's worth mentioning also. But now you can create other 'sackbot' protagonists with their own custom behaviour in your levels, specifically targeting those who want to replicate a given set of behaviour they have in mind from other games.

Hmm... "Super excited mode" regulated to "wait and see how this pans out" mode

stupei

Hadn't read the thread yet because I was thinking "well what news could there possibly be, more user created levels and maybe more tools."

Holy shit was I wrong. Sounds awesome.

Holy crap. Ambitious isn't even the word to describe what MM is trying to do with this game, at least by the sounds of it.

I'll say it again. Holy crap.

Belfast

I actually wish they'd get rid of the 3-plane playing field. :\ Make it an option maybe, but I felt that contributed somewhat to the platforming problems. I don't mind layers, just don't make it mandatory.

TripOpt55

This sounds almost too good. I wouldn't have imagined some of this stuff if I had tried to guess what would be in LBP2. Sounds very awesome. Looking forward to seeing more on this and getting this GI as well.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i bought 1 and all my friends started playing after 2 days cause of the controls, PLEASE let them fix this so i can convince them to get it :lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
Belfast said:
I actually wish they'd get rid of the 3-plane playing field. :\ Make it an option maybe, but I felt that contributed somewhat to the platforming problems. I don't mind layers, just don't make it mandatory.

It was not mandatory. You could build in entirely one plane before. And many did. Some of my favorite levels are race levels where you have two players on two planes each stuck on their own plane racing to the finish. So you cant disturb/help the other player.
What needed improvement was the "intuition" of switching.

LittleBigPlanet 2 is a big step forward to what Mm originally had in mind. I for one can't wait <_< just a note to Mm no heart trophy pleases.

I hate player beging for hearts

donkey show said:
Not the art style per say so much as the overall polish. You'll see what I mean. :D
tell them to keep that rewind animation out. just give me a undo history list instead WITHOUT any sort of animation showing the undo step.

Danielsan said:
Hopefully we'll be getting another awesome beta.
Though it's kinda sad that the most fun I had with LBP was during the beta period.
I also find it pretty hilarious that videos of the Shadow of the Colossus level are among the first search results on youtube.
At the time it got featured on IGN, the 1upshow and on gamespy.
My minute of fame. :lol

my minute of fame was taking a picture of Jeff Green's face to use in the game, then making a shitty level with that as the prize. Some guy played that level, won the prize, then started using it in his superior level. From there you had websites commenting on how you win his face as a prize from his stage. My legacy is helping a random guy get attention.

Danielsan

I kinda wish they made it a 3D platformer though.
It would be the next logical step.
It would be amazing to recreate gaming worlds in full on 3D.

JardeL said:
what do you mean by that?:D
Just wait. I can only hold off the Sony ninjas for so long. :lol

I kinda wish they made it a 3D platformer though.
It would be the next logical step.
It would be amazing to recreate gaming worlds in full on 3D.

They should perfect this first before moving on.

thcsquad

Discotheque said:
Much of this will mean nothing if they don't fix the shitty laggy online though. Otherwise it sounds great.

I think being owned by Sony should help that. They now have full access to Sony's programming ninjas and tech, so it would be logical that this game will be much more polished (netcode and otherwise) than the first.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
MM deserves the backing to make their vision come true. They're going way farther for the sequel.

Slowly Sony's lineup is filling up again.

Crisis

Banned
donkey show said:
Not the art style per say so much as the overall polish. You'll see what I mean. :D
I think this is a good way to put it. LBP had a real charm to it in the level designs from everything looking rudimentary. I think it was designed to promote a childlike sense of imagination from the endless possibilities from stuff like cardboard that could be molded into anything you wanted.

In that respect we don't really see that design style in the screenshots. In LBP 2, everything seems grander and less like children made it. Everything has its own unique sense of style. The first game's design really promoted the idea that the player could make it themselves from simple materials. Everything about this new game tries to show how deep the player and the game's mechanics could go. Donkey show put it best. The game feels more polished. Like it's grown up a little bit.

beast786

It seems the scope is still the same (3 layers).

I hope people understant that part of it. Hence when saying RPG, I dont expect exploring or other stuff.

But still its a sequel to my 2008 GOTY :D

mr_nothin

Banned
Crisis said:
I think this is a good way to put it. LBP had a real charm to it in the level designs from everything looking rudimentary. I think it was designed to promote a childlike sense of imagination from the endless possibilities from stuff like cardboard that could be molded into anything you wanted.

In that respect we don't really see that design style in the screenshots. In LBP 2, everything seems grander and less like children made it. Everything has its own unique sense of style. The first game's design really promoted the idea that the player could make it themselves from simple materials. Everything about this new game tries to show how deep the player and the game's mechanics could go. Donkey show put it best. The game feels more polished. Like it's grown up a little bit.
And this is exactly the route I wanted them to take. I hated the "you can see exactly what they did for this mechanic" aesthetic. The stuff that most ppl built (especially the devs) shows you exactly how everything worked on the surface. It took me out of the "game" because it seemed more like game-testing for me because you could see everything. From what I understand, it's looking more like a GAME and not that cardboard cut-out/playground/build-it-yourself thing the 1st one was.

Stantron

jump_button said:
LittleBigPlanet 2 is a big step forward to what Mm originally had in mind. I for one can't wait <_< just a note to Mm no heart trophy pleases.

I hate player beging for hearts
QFT This can't be stated enough. Hope Mm learned their lesson.
Even with a better web integration feature that would ensure gems don't get lost in the trash, you would still have players begging/spamming comments sections with "H4H".

Bebpo

Banned
Belfast said:

Same.

I love LOVE loooove LBP but I really don't feel like the 3 plane system added much and it just caused a shitton of glitches for players and headaches for level designers.

wizword

Banned
Bebpo said:
Same.

I love LOVE loooove LBP but I really don't feel like the 3 plane system added much and it just caused a shitton of glitches for players and headaches for level designers.
If they give you the ability to unlock it still adds more depth. A 1 plane system doesn't work either for some games. It allows for more variety. It is the auto lock feature that sucked, not the 3 plane system

Nickiepoo

First game was brilliant and charming and I loved it, but limited and flawed in the gameplay department in many ways.

This sounds like it could be a very worthy sequel.

This question might seem far fetched, but would it be possible to create full-on platformers as well? Probably on the level of Super Mario Galaxy?
beast786 said:
It seems the scope is still the same (3 layers).
Nooooo :(

wizword

Banned
RustyNails said:
This question might seem far fetched, but would it be possible to create full-on platformers as well? Probably on the level of Super Mario Galaxy?

Nooooo :(
This will kill the point of the game. A 3d platformer isn't going to have the same depth, tool creation elements, etc. I hate how much of a step back littlebigplanet 2 would be if it was that way. I never wanted the game in that manner because it will be another game where they copy super mario galaxy, super mario 64 levels, etc. When they won't work because sack boy has different gameplay mechanics. I think this was the ideal way to go. Allow the tools to be more limitless than create a brand new limited tool that won't work as well. Anyway, I hope this game doesn't kill the thermometer with all these features. It won't be great if this limits the game, and you can't make levels longer than 2 minutes with these tools. That would suck.

CancerBullet

Neo Member
WOW. Now that is a sequel. If Sony bothered to announce this a month before E3 I can't imagine whats going to be shown at their press conference.

Top Bottom