• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet Official Thread: Live in your world, play in ours.

I loved the POTC levels. :) I also love that there are actually Premium Avatars now as well. I got the one where the sackboy is sitting down waving. Oh so cute. So, yeah, I love the levels, and I love the water. I wish you could do stuff with the water, like make pools of water, buckets or water, etc, but oh well. I had fun with the all the levels, but some levels are hard to get 100% items in. I think... the third level I can't get all the items in. Anyways, yeah, I also bought the Sack Sparrow and Will Turner costumes. I'm a happy camper.

Teknoman

Very nice music, ton of stuff for creators to put to good use.

EDIT: Also nice on the cutscenes. Need to figure out the best way to string em together for the same appearance.

Shearie

donkey show said:
Wow, I really wasn't feeling the levels. Sorry, Mm. =P Thanks for the water though! :D

The music is awesome though.

Damn. The number 1 cheerleader of LBP ain't into the new levels. Since I don't create anything, I was gonna buy the packs solely for the levels, but I might not now.

netguy503

So, would you agree with me that MM should do a survey next time of ideas for level packs they have and let us VOTE on the next one. The level pack with the most votes will then move onto the next level of work on them. I think this will ensure they will be pleasing their consumer base (the people who are paying for their product)with their next level pack. Especially if they only get out a level pack a year.

I too was not impressed with this level pack. I tried to warn people before they bought it today. I'm not a fan of POTC movies (even though I own them all on Blu-ray, go figure) but they could have done so much with the theme (they condensed it to like one movie, with SOME elements of 2, NO elements of 3). The level design was above average at best and the end boss stage had you basically confined in a box the whole time. I agree it was very "dark" too. One of my friend's asked if there was going to be a sequel to this DLC since they really didn't cover much of there theme at all. PLEASE GOD NO!!! Still better than alot of levels out there, but I suggest you go through these levels first with a friend before buying this.

netguy503 said:
So, would you agree with me that MM should do a survey next time of ideas for level packs they have and let us VOTE on the next one. The level pack with the most votes will then move onto the next level of work on them. I think this will ensure they will be pleasing their consumer base (the people who are paying for their product)with their next level pack. Especially if they only get out a level pack a year.

I too was not impressed with this level pack. I tried to warn people before they bought it today. I'm not a fan of POTC movies (even though I own them all on Blu-ray, go figure) but they could have done so much with the theme (they condensed it to like one movie, with SOME elements of 2, NO elements of 3). The level design was above average at best and the end boss stage had you basically confined in a box the whole time. I agree it was very "dark" too. One of my friend's asked if there was going to be a sequel to this DLC since they really didn't cover much of there theme at all. PLEASE GOD NO!!! Still better than alot of levels out there, but I suggest you go through these levels first with a friend before buying this.

I really thought we'd be getting more than this from Sony. Two level packs...that's it? I thought we'd be getting levels along the lines of their first party games and such, not just stickers and costumes.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I can still play the user levels with water even though I don't own the pack? I'm sure it's too soon for any good levels to be available but maybe the beta stuff will be up. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a PSN card tonight but I was really looking forward to seeing LBP H20 :(.

235ljc.gif

netguy503

Snuggler said:
So I can still play the user levels with water even though I don't own the pack? I'm sure it's too soon for any good levels to be available but maybe the beta stuff will be up. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a PSN card tonight but I was really looking forward to seeing LBP H20 :(.

235ljc.gif

Well the level pack failed and you STILL can play water levels so don't feel too badly although your GIF made me LOL.

I liked the levels, though the theme wasn't as strong as the MGS levels (wouldn't have know it was Pirates of the Caribbean without level names). Water was great, so many possibilities for that.

Final fight was nice, but I was surprised no huge monster head came out of the water. Didn't expect it to end so simply.

Overall I liked it though. :D

Shearie said:
Damn. The number 1 cheerleader of LBP ain't into the new levels. Since I don't create anything, I was gonna buy the packs solely for the levels, but I might not now.
Well, I didn't get the "level packs" for the levels. In essence, they're only a stop-gap for the tools and stickers, which as a creator I am way more interested in. Like others have said, the theme wasn't strong enough in the game considering they have the license to run with the game. And when I was playing the first level, I thought, "I think I did some obstacles exactly like this when the game first came out." :lol

Like I said, underwhelmed by the levels, but itching to publish a true water level ever since messing around in the water beta.

Teknoman

Well at least I can go ahead with my Jade Flora level along with Sardnos Bog...especially since only one needs water. Of course, i've still got to figure out how to make things move underwater on their own.

EDIT: Wow :lol Just realized I dont have Temples Int. Where was that one anyway? Dancers Court or Magicians Palace?

Mik2121

Yeah.. I played through most of the levels (I can't buy the packs because Sony freaking blocked my account for 24h so I can't edit my CC info...) and while there were a few very nice parts, overall they felt much simpler and not as 'Mm'.. if that even makes sense.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
netguy503 said:
Well the level pack failed and you STILL can play water levels so don't feel too badly although your GIF made me LOL.

OK, I got to play through some water levels. I didn't need the Pirates level pack, but I'll still buy it when I can. I'm just glad that I didn't need it to play some water levels. There were a few user created levels, but they were all pretty much just tests. LBP H20 is definitely awesome, though, it looks good and works good. I can't wait to see in used in legit, quality levels. :D

The music is GREAT too, but I wouldn't expect otherwise from LBP. One of my favorite soundtracks ever...

Dwayne

I just published my second ever level, it's budget as but i'm doing my best :p It's called "Paint Water Paradise", please heart it/me if you find it (it's next to new zealand, somewhere).

BeeDog

Jesus, that silver "race" trophy ("HMS Interceptor" or whatever it's called) seems impossible to get. Anyone got any hints for it?

BeeDog said:
Jesus, that silver "race" trophy ("HMS Interceptor" or whatever it's called) seems impossible to get. Anyone got any hints for it?

It's not just a straight race.
You don't start the race until you've gone ahead in the level and freed the two black boats so that they float. Once you've done that, head back and place the sticker to start the race. There is a hidden path between the two crabs near the race start that lets you get back up there.

Dragnet

Schwowsers said:
You don't start the race until you've gone ahead in the level and freed the two black boats so that they float. Once you've done that, head back and place the sticker to start the race. There is a hidden path between the two crabs near the race start that lets you get back up there.

Wow, I didn't do that.
I played it normally, didn't use this apparent shortcut, freed only one of the ships (I had been freeing both and kept failing, but you only need to free one!) and I barely made it, but did!
Cool to know there's more than one way of doing it though :D

Filldough

Played LBP for the first time yesterday to check out the new water stuff and levels. Levels seemed ok to me but maybe thats cause I've havent played in a while. Love the water though, looks awesome, feels awesome, and opens up a whole new world for creators. I really need to go back and work on the levels I started over a year ago! Really wish they could have done something with flowing water instead of just global water. Regardless, the water is cool as hell and I cant wait to see what people do with it. Need to stop buying new games and invest some serious time in create mode again.

Teknoman

Anyone able to open the 4 person switch chest in the PotC level pack? Joined Ranger X and 2 others to grab it a few minutes ago, yet the switch seemed like it was broken. Some sort of glitch maybe?

Also enemies moving under water, do we have to add some kind of paddleboat mechanism to them? Or were the ones in the level pack just on invisible pistons?

Teknoman said:
Anyone able to open the 4 person switch chest in the PotC level pack? Joined Ranger X and 2 others to grab it a few minutes ago, yet the switch seemed like it was broken. Some sort of glitch maybe?

I tried that with 4 controllers and nothing happened.
Do the seashells beneath open w/o pressing the buttons? maybe the chest is just decoration.

Teknoman said:
Also enemies moving under water, do we have to add some kind of paddleboat mechanism to them? Or were the ones in the level pack just on invisible pistons?
Pistons. I'll put up a vid of what I did with the Azure Palace dragon when I threw it into water.

Do the seashells beneath open w/o pressing the buttons? maybe the crest is just decoration.

They should be open already.

Teknoman said:

The chest doesn't open. The switches make the wooden block below them disappear. The 4 player challenge is down there in the water. I was confused by that too.

redtiger

Neo Member
mr_nothin said:
I dont understand the reasoning behind 1 powerup at a time. Jetpack + gun and underwater + gun would be awesome....but no.
Jetpack + gun is somehow possible in coop mode : one guy with the gun and the other guy carrying the first. Ok that's different but you can definitely adapt the level design so that every player has a job.

BeeDog

Schwowsers said:

Thanks, this helped immensely.

Also, FUCK YOU "The Bends" trophy! Jesus christ that one was hard, uuuughghhh.

Thrakier

If they make a LBP2 in the future I really hope they enhance the gameplay mechanics. The gun was a start, but it only got us so far. I like a lot about this game but at this point, the basic gameplay bores me to tears. Even the water can't change it because, let's be honest, water and swimming in it is a basic itself in jump'n runs for maaany years. It's just not exciting anymore. And it makes me sad because in theory I want to love this game and play it every week.

Ranger X

Thrakier said:
If they make a LBP2 in the future I really hope they enhance the gameplay mechanics. The gun was a start, but it only got us so far. I like a lot about this game but at this point, the basic gameplay bores me to tears. Even the water can't change it because, let's be honest, water and swimming in it is a basic itself in jump'n runs for maaany years. It's just not exciting anymore. And it makes me sad because in theory I want to love this game and play it every week.

The fun is in the level design. It never was the mechanics really. Kinda missing the point there. It's simple game in nature but it really makes sense when the community makes it shine in an infinite number of ways. Its your levels that makes the game, not sackboy.

trk_rkd

Banned
Water looks great and the swimming animations are cute as hell, reminds me of taking control of sackboy for the first time over a year ago. Although I don't give a fuck about POTC they did a good job with the costumes too, they're very detailed. The levels are pretty underwhelming though, very pretty but not super interesting. i replayed the mgs ones several times but i probably won't bother with these POTC ones. still, the important thing is that the water is here and i'm pretty impressed with it so far... can't wait to see what people do with it.

redtiger said:
Jetpack + gun is somehow possible in coop mode : one guy with the gun and the other guy carrying the first. Ok that's different but you can definitely adapt the level design so that every player has a job.

That's a cool idea, those kinds of co-op mechanics could make for a really fun level. Now that they've got decent netcode in the game it'd be nice to see a resurgence in co-op oriented levels.

Danielsan

Any active LBP gaffers want to add me on psn?
My psn is : Danielsan88 (just let me know you're from here).
I want to get the new level packs but if I do, I want to play them co-op. :D

I played one of the POTC levels with Mik this morning and I have to say, it was surprisingly fun. The water looks gorgeous and feels great.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Danielsan said:
Any active LBP gaffers want to add me on psn?
My psn is : Danielsan88 (just let me know you're from here).
I want to get the new level packs but if I do, I want to play them co-op. :D

I played one of the POTC levels with Mik this morning and I have to say, it was surprisingly fun. The water looks gorgeous and feels great.

Sorry for not accepting you request earlier but it wasn't me playing. It was my kids (built a swimming pool with a trampoline for them to have fun with :D)

Jaeyden

Check out Submarine Sabotage by Wexfordian, Jaeyden and Fullgorr

It's published under Wexfordian. We made it in beta and it turned out pretty sharp. It's up on community pages right now.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jaeyden said:
Check out Submarine Sabotage by Wexfordian, Jaeyden and Fullgorr

It's published under Wexfordian. We made it in beta and it turned out pretty sharp. It's up on community pages right now.

I played it earlier this morning. AMAZING.

Unrelated: any idea what's the next big thing after water? Wind would be awesome and relatively easy to do. The physics engine is robust enough to support it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Danielsan said:
No problem man.
That's great. :lol

What's even funnier is how they ended up playing it.

Rather than jumping into the water, they were taking turns at getting slapped from the edge of the trampoline (causing the slapped Sackboy to fall into the water). Was so fun to watch, especially since they where both dressed as sharks :lol

I love LBP. My little physics Nirvana.

Danielsan

TTP said:
What's even funnier is how they ended up playing it.

Rather than jumping into the water, they were taking turns at getting slapped from the edge of the trampoline (causing the slapped Sackboy to fall into the water). Was so fun to watch, especially since they where both dressed as sharks :lol

I love LBP. My little physics Nirvana.
Haha nice.
I haven't played Littlebigplanet in ages. The technical flaws really got to me. But now, playing the POTC levels, I'm now reminded how much fun the game could be.

Massa

That Submarine sabotage MM recommended on Twitter is really awesome, looking forward to more water levels.

The water animations are fantastic, but at this point I'm convinced it's impossible to make Sackboy animate in a way that isn't fantastic.

trk_rkd

Banned
TTP said:
Unrelated: any idea what's the next big thing after water? Wind would be awesome and relatively easy to do. The physics engine is robust enough to support it.

I'd guess it'd be the website playlist functionality, given the new options on the pause screen. i'm *extremely* excited about that, browse is DEFINITELY the week link in the lbp formula and the ability to harness lbpcentral/gaf/the general internetz to find/cue up levels will have a ***huge*** increase on my enjoyment of this game.

(+ i still want a dd version of lbp, just coz i'm a spoilt brat that finds getting up to swap discs an insultingly arduous task.)

Woo 100% it again.

Wasn't blown away I must admit by the new levels. I think they lacked a real PotC vibe/character. They may as well have not had PotC attached. They weren't bad but after MGS, they didn't feel as great.

Water's a nice addition but again, it hasn't really done anything for me. Maybe it's all too little, too late. Which is a shame.

Anyways a nice tip I found for acing the Kraken level (if it hasn't been mentioned already...)

I had a problem with the cannons, because sometimes they'd unfortunately roll and catch you and there isn't a lot of space to manoeuvre, so... when the first ships arrive on either side, only blow their cannons, so they can't shoot you anymore, don't finish the ships off fully. This way no more new ships will ever come. After a minute or so the Kraken will come, take him out and the half desroyed ships will return again, unable to still fire. Rinse and repeat. The actual Kraken is easy to avoid.

Top Bottom