• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Loadout |OT| Pretty awesome free FPS, out on Steam now!

Agkel

ibdqh6MuHI6jqE.gif

Loadout Official Thread

BdTcRBQ.jpg

Developer: Edge of Reality
Release Date: January 31, 2014
Platforms: PC
Genre: Arcade-y Shooter
Modes: Multiplayer

HnXz7jz.jpg

*Loadout is the fast-paced, free to play multiplayer shooter featuring over-the-top frenetic action, comedic violence, and Weaponcrafting with billions of combinations.
*Create, Customize, Kill! is the Weaponcrafting slogan for a reason. Unleash your inner mad-scientist to craft guns for every map and situation. There are billions of combinations—what’s your Loadout?
*Loadout is Free to Play, not Pay to Win. Playing Loadout earns Blutes, which can be used in the Tech Tree to unlock more weapon parts, payloads, and equipment. Spacebux are purchasable but optional, and spent in the Outfitter for character customization and cosmetics, never power.

Weapon crafting:
Build the exact gun you want to dominate the battlefield. Then craft another one just for overkill—and that’s just one Loadout. Use Weaponcrafting to construct an entire arsenal to be ready for every map and every situation. You define your role with the weapons you create. And forget the boring stereotypes. In Loadout, there are millions of combinations to create the perfect gun for your exact play-style.

Build a rocket launcher that fires proximity mines that heal your teammates when they get close. Design a minigun that fires bullets that electrocute your enemies. Create a sniper that unleashes a beam of fire, and a pulse cannon to dominate at all ranges. If you’re feeling particularly adventurous, hit the Randomize Button a few times to see the millions of combinations at your fingertips.
Customize

weaponcrafting

XADbETn.jpg

OS: Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD equivalent or better
RAM Memory: 2 GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4350 / NVIDIA GeForce 6800 / Intel HD 3000 or better
Note: Loadout requires a graphics card with support for Shader Model 3.0
HDD Space: 4 GB
Broadband Internet connection

SPdfuUv.jpg

This is completely unnecessary to enjoy the entirety of what the game has to offer. Let me repeat myself, YOU HAVE TO SPEND ZERO DOLLARS TO PLAY EVERY ASPECT OF THE GAME!

***Keep in mind that the cosmetic items in the packs are character specific, except for the spaceman helmet.
***Current List of confirmed items you can win by laying (on the daily chest):Link

WxMTWsd.jpg

Gamespot: 7/10
PCGamesN: 8/10
IGN: 7/10

User Reviews from Steam Users:

-
Arena shooters is something that slowly disappeared over the years. Games like Unreal Tournament and Quake gradually faded to give place to the more "realistic" and military-like games like Call of Duty and Battlefield.
Yep, that sucks.

But Loadout came to save the day.

Loadout brings back the glory days of arena shooters with it's fast-paced action, high focus on mobility and gore, gore, GOREEEEE.
But that's not all it has. It has something that is extremely important for me: sense of humor. And quite a weird one (in a good way).
This isn't your usual "gritty colorless srs bsns" shooter. No. This is a colorful game where you can be a guy wearing Billie Joe Armstrong's trademark black shirt and red tie, but forgot to wear pants, jiggling your junk around instead.

But after all this, I didn't even mention the best part, and the one thing that makes Loadout really unique: Weaponcrafting.

-
In a nutshell, Loadout is a Muthafudging gem of a game, Great Visuals, Fast game plays and INTENSE matches with over the top cartoon violence and taunts that will have you laughing constantly (never gets old). I've been playing in the closed beta for a year now and the game has been improving leaps and bounds and I still see it getting better over time. If you want a game that is fast pace has great visuals and game plays, then LOADOUT is your game! Come at me BRO!

-
Some Guy shot my Penis off - Best Game EVER 10/10 Not your normal Shooter ;)

9pE06mo.jpg

GiantBomb QL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEBjT9unjHs
GAF's Beloved TB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xIGvCXjqtg
Gamegrumps play LO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW-ZjQkPuFU
Official Gameplay Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCphCuwEibM

Concept Art:

Wallpapers:

bBF3EgZ.jpg

Coming Soon!

C7fJSc4.jpg

Post your ingame name, you create on startup, to add to the Gaffers friend list.

*Ill try to update this as much as possible.

-Agkel
-RobertJamesSullivan
-DECOYDINGUS

Agkel

Wanted to wait for someone to post first so I could post my impressions but I'll just go ahead and post it.

I am having a lot of fun with the game and aside from the, somewhat juvenile presentation, this is an extremely well done shooter that came out of nowhere for me. I loved playing Quake arena back in the day and this scratches that itch really, really well. There's nothing wrong with military shooters, except for the fact that they replaced super fun arena shooters design and this is a nice return to form.

The game is F2P, period. There is no F2P wall that creeps up on you or anything of the like. The only thing you can buy with real money is cosmetic stuff for your characters. You earn XP which allows you to slightly improve the specific parts of guns you are using, and you earn blutes that allow you to expand the tech tree to unlock new parts, like fire, bouncing, sticky bullets or weapon parts that affect rates of fire or many other things.

Which brings me to the weaponcrafting. Editing is super easy, intuitive and you can go back and forth between editing and testing, immediately. Warning though, you will come up with some pretty rad weapons that test amazingly on the testing grounds but once you hit the real matches you will be owned hard. Don't get frustrated when you lose though, think why did you get killed and what kind of weapon would have helped you and eventually you will come up with a few weapons that fit your playstyle.

Hopefully we can get a nice group of gaffers together.

Nice OT. I literally just learned about this game because of it haha. The concept sounds pretty cool. I'll give it a download tomorrow and try it out.

Agkel

Game is really fun, though it does have the issue of some 1 hit kill gun combos existing

Ive seen a few combos that hit really hard but luckily there not that common (in my experience) I would love to see them implement some type of "tanking" stat were one sacrifices firepower for some extra health or something like that. There's a few balance issues but nothing that cant be fixed with a few number adjustment.

aaaaaanywho, I'm going to bed bcs I spent all night between doing some paperwork and playing this... mostly playing this... ok just playing this lol

void666

Banned
Been playing this in the last two days. It's fun but it lacks some interesting game modes.
Love the visuals, animation and effects, the gore.

Calabi

Its good but I'm not sure I like the weapon customization.

Having to figure out how to make the best weapon seems like too much effort, and its hard to tell if I've made a good one. It needs some premade ones.

I'm tempted to try it since it looks like the time-to-kill is decent.
Are support roles viable ? I've seen a video with a healing gun resembling the TF2's med gun so I'm wondering if there's other stuff like that.

Agkel

Its good but I'm not sure I like the weapon customization.

Having to figure out how to make the best weapon seems like too much effort, and its hard to tell if I've made a good one. It needs some premade ones.

To me it's just icing on the cake. The default gun works pretty well, I'm currently running a very close to default gun. I switched the scope to recon, and switch back and forth from default magazine to high capacity. Other than that, everything else is default. I do have some wacky guns that work well on blitz mode but I mostly use my default one. Just try to go for one that fits your playstyle, even if it doesnt seem optimal.

Are support roles viable ? I've seen a video with a healing gun resembling the TF2's med gun so I'm wondering if there's other stuff like that.

Yeah you can currently change the bullets of any gun to healing or to buffing, which buffs speed and strength. When you heal/buff someone you also get healed/buffed. You can also have heal/buff grenades, deployable: turrets, spawn points, health pickups, equipment pickups and fake pickups. Not sure what the fake pickups do. I normally carry a healing gun as a secondary unless I'm playing deathmatch.

XaeonBE

Played the game for a few minutes now liked the way it looked. Will play more of it tomorrow. But so good so far would even pay for the game.

Foofaraw

I played a couple matches. Won both of them. I think I'll drop the game forever to keep my perfect streak intact.

The models in this game are insane. I don't think I'll be putting too much time into it, but it is certainly fun to pick up and play.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
This is a really fun game. People turned off by F2P shouldn't be too upset with this one. Everything you can buy is either convenience (extra loadout or weapon slots, but you can still only take two weapons in at a time) or cosmetic.

There's an awful lot of grinding but that seems to be par for the course when you're talking about multiplayer games in general these days, F2P or not. It annoys me to no end so I don't buy games built around it, but these guys were one step ahead and asked me not to buy it.

You can make any gun a healing gun. Do you want a healing rocket launcher? I know you do. How about a healing rocket launcher with bouncy bombs that explode into health granting cluster bombs? Go do it up.

I've been into this game for over a week now. I'm pretty much just playing a healer/buffer role with one gun to heal and launcher to shoot out juice. Hopefully they add more maps to co-op as well as more modes.

MKP64

Loadout is so damn good. I'm not much of MP but I've put every thing on hold. So that I could just play Loadout..lol I also want to give EoR credit for changing how I view F2P games.

My name is DECOYDINGUS

Uiki

It's kinda necessary on most gamemodes.

You can carry 2 guns. I use an offensive one and a healing one.

On CTF is kinda necessary to heal your carrier almost all the time.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Is there a way to play with only bots, or do you always have to play with people?

You can play against bots but you have people on your team. From the weaponcrafting screen you can jump into an arena with basic bots (they just stand or run on a path) to test your guns, but they aren't shooting back and there's no objective there.

KePoW

Banned
Umm anyone think the female character looks horrible? That's a big turn-off.

Otherwise game looks pretty cool.

I played a bit of this a few months ago, and it was indeed quite fun!

Looks like they've made some real improvements since then too, so I'll be hitting this up again sometime soon.

Agkel

New patch today:
BUILD NOTES v1.1 - MAKE GOODS
Community Announcements - arctyc
In build v1.1 we are granting players some goodies for the turbulence experienced during launch weekend. All players will receive a new full body "Thrashed" Axl and a new Party Crasher T-Shirt. Booster codes will roll out over the next several days for those players that purchased XP or Blute boosts, but were unable to use them during launch. These items will be granted to accounts that were created on or before February 18th, 2014. The build also features a few bug fixes which you all can view below:

New Cosmetic Items (Available to Everyone)

Thrashed Skin (Axl)
Party Crasher 2 T-Shirt (Axl)

Bug Fixes

Fixed a bug causes a blank name to appear when a player joined a party.
Fixed a bug with the Daily Prize Box.
Removed Tool Tip 8 which showed incorrect information.

UPDATE:

All of the cosmetic items will also roll out over the next couple of days

I started a few days after launch, so I didnt get to experience the mess match making was. Good thing they manage to fix it, hopefully ranked matches are re-introduced soon.

Thanks for the answers.
I've started playing a bit and I really like it. It's one of the few mp games I enjoyed along with Natural Selection 2 and TF2 pre-Heavy/Scout update. I haven't tried Juice but I've made a really nice medigun, I really like the fact that support roles are enjoyable and rewarding.

If someone wanna add me to play :
http://steamcommunity.com/id/RobertJSullivan/
RobertJamesSullivan in-game

codhand

i just got my Loadout apologeemail

We know you got beat up by the servers during launch week. So did any of our developers who strayed into the networking corner. But we signed up for that, whereas you guys didn’t. You deserved a flawless launch, so now that the hubbub is over and the servers are stable, we want to make amends.

Alduin

Really fun game. Have spent over 30 hours on it so far.
Only problem - no private games and the few amount of maps and content leaves a lot to be desired. But still am having fun nonetheless.

Everyone should give it a try!

codhand

Really fun game. Have spent over 30 hours on it so far.
Only problem - no private games and the few amount of maps and content leaves a lot to be desired. But still am having fun nonetheless.

Everyone should give it a try!

i tried this, neverwinter, and path of exile all in the same day, and enjoyed what i played of all of them,

Alduin

Oh right, forgot to mention how fun and addicting weaponcrafting is! Can't wait to get more Blutes to unlock some more parts.

Camp Lo

Banned
I've been playing for a little bit, enough to learn the basics and this is a pretty fun game. I'm hoping they let us play some competitive Blitz exclusively.

IGN is ShiaLeBeouf

Vintage

Really fun game for some casual gun madness.

I have a question for people who played this for a while:
What about skill ceiling? I've only played for a few hours, but didn't see much stuff that I should learn to get better. In Quake or TF2, when you meet a better player you can see why he's better and what you should practice more. In this game, a lot of stuff seem... random. Most of the time when I hit an enemy it's because he accidentally jumped into my rocket, not because of my skill. Predicting enemy movement is almost impossible because everyone's just bouncing off everything in random directions.

troopershades

Neo Member
Forgot all about this title since I played it at last years SXSW but since it launched on steam I've been playing this with some friends every chance we get. I like that you can try out the changes you've made to your weapon prior to buying. One thing I hate though is the fact that if you ready up then navigate to the gun crafting it unreadys you. Other than that it's very enjoyable. Love the death animations.

Troopershades if you want to add

Welp, tried a rocket launcher with flak heal and I don't think I'm going back to healing beam any time soon. It's okay-ish when healing one person and outstanding for groups of teammates.
Also I don't think I'm reaching when I say the thing is close to being broken in Blitz, if the team isn't made of people who prefer watching the point instead of capturing it I usually just spam it on the ground and rack in the assists.

On the other hand the only weapon I found to be okay with Juice is a pulse rifle with standard magazine. Still, I really find Juice to be extremely situational, it's great to have when there's already a good healer on the team but since almost nobody plays support it doesn't happen a lot. Even then the Juice effect fades away really quickly so you have to babysit the person you're buffing so it's mostly useful in Jackhammer/Extraction, not so much in other modes.

Nabs

I'm having a blast with my class. It's a regular level 6 rocket launcher, a level 5 fire launcher, and the spy equipment. I spent a lot of blue points for that shit, but I'm happy with it. I'm able to sneak around and get really good fire shots at teams.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Am I reading this right?

$89.99 (or $40.49 since it's on sale) for eight cosmetic items?

It says it's a sale, but it also says those items aren't going to be available to buy after that sale is over...so it seems like a lie. Unless it's cheaper on Steam than elsewhere, the price is $40.49 for those items. At that price it's both within reason for a F2P game and completely insane for what you're getting. I just look at any cosmetic items in a F2P game that only sells cosmetic items as a tip jar once I know I'll be playing the game enough.

Goon Boon

Banned
It says it's a sale, but it also says those items aren't going to be available to buy after that sale is over...so it seems like a lie. Unless it's cheaper on Steam than elsewhere, the price is $40.49 for those items. At that price it's both within reason for a F2P game and completely insane for what you're getting. I just look at any cosmetic items in a F2P game that only sells cosmetic items as a tip jar once I know I'll be playing the game enough.

Edge of Reality (devs) actually came up with a clever idea - the cash price is the amount it would cost for you to buy each item individually with the ingame currency, and the "sale" price is the price the bundle actually costs. The T-Bone Steak (dick) alone is going to cost $35, so if you plan on ever getting that, you could just get the bundle.

In short (long)
IJVY5fW.jpg

Camp Lo

Banned
Anyone still playing? I lost interest after the annihilation update. I'm hoping we can play in casual ladders or something soon otherwise I'm just gonna delete the game.

Having a blast tonight with a new shotgun build. Pulse, Compact, Iron Sights, Scatter, Shell Loading, Slug, Impact.

I use a tri-barrel Tesla Launcher as my main for long range and to bust shields, close the gap to get in their face, blast em with a shotty and if they're still alive, melee. Absolutely wrecks people who don't have excellent movement.

v1lla21

This game is pretty great. I built a gun already that I'm pretty comfortable with. I spent a lot of time testing it and this was the result:
4th match playing the game

Steam:V1lla21

Hesemonni

Banned
The game definately needs more maps. Now you'll find yourself playing the same maps over and over again.

I'm a bit put of by all the jumping around, but the game's still fun. I still hate the Jackhammer game mode with the power of 1000 Internets though.

They just added a new map with an update last week or so I believe. They have more maps in the pipeline but they're a smaller studio so it takes awhile for them to get completely finished. They're continuously working on new stuff though including weapon attachments, weapon balance and game modes so I applaud them for that.

Top Bottom