• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Locomalito's Latest Free Retro Game is Darkula

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Totally missed that Locomalito (dev of freeware and commercial retro games like Maldita Castilla, Hydorah, Curse of Issyos, Gaurodan, Verminest & more) released another free game in June. It's called Darkula and is a fixed platform game that combines elements of Donkey Kong and Pac-Man.

Darkula is a frantic fixed platform game designed like a 1983 coin-op arcade. It mimic the technical specs of the time in terms of image and sound, but it goes further with a smooth playability and a scoring system carefully designed for local tournaments. Collect all the light bulbs to complete a level. Collect shining light bulbs consecutively to raise the challenge and earn a growing bonus. Be fast, don't miss the special object and be careful with the monsters around!
Look and feel of an arcade game from 1983.
Easy to learn, hard to master.
Scoring system designed for competitions and tournaments.
6 unique levels + bonus stages.
Control panel and arts for dedicated cabinets.

Post all your Locomalito appreciation here maybe, this guy is already a legend. This game may not end up having a commercial enhanced edition like some of his other titles given its even more old school style (which he's used before to great effect) but it looks every bit as good for genre fans!

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Thanks OP! I have been waiting for this game. I have always wanted an perfect arcade port for Mr. Do's Castle for the home, and while not exactly the same game, it kind of scratches the same arcade style itch. It is definitely a direct homage to that game as well as games like Space Panic. I really appreciate this man's work. I bought both his games on Steam and I need to double dip on those games on Switch as well to show my support of his great works.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah, dude is awesome.

Checking his pages I can no longer find the Verminest '83 version of that game which had simpler but colored graphics, I quite liked the style and the option between that and the "original" version with its different visuals settings :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom