• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan Review Thread - Go Fuck Yourself out of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Hello there snickt-bubz. The review-embargo for Logan is up. Here are some quotes. Will be updated as more come in

RottenTomatoes - https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/logan_2017

Nerdist - 4.5/5
I think fans of the comic will truly enjoy Logan, and even those who don't–who maybe only have a cursory knowledge of the characters via media osmosis–will find a solid, gutsy action movie with more emotion than you'd get in a lot of blockbusters. This is honestly one of the best comic book movies of all time.

io9 - Positive
And make no mistake, Logan is a movie you will want to talk about it. Logan is a movie that manages to entertain you and challenge you, that feels a true story regardless of being in the world of X-Men. It's just as much an arthouse drama, or a prestige picture, as it is a big-budget, action-fantasy movie starring Wolverine. And how many other superhero movies can you say that about?

Collider - A-
Logan is a unique film. It's not a game-changer for the X-Men franchise or the superhero genre as a whole. It could really only be done with Jackman signing off and with Mangold being given the authority to really cut loose and present a clear, uncompromised vision. The result is a movie that does have a few faults (like most X-Men movies, it's a little too long), but overall Logan provides a fond farewell to Jackman and the character he defined for a generation.

Telegraph - Positive
You might assume James Mangold's film, which had its world premiere at the Berlin Film Festival this evening, is meant as a sequel to the two other solo Wolverine pictures, 2009's X-Men Origins: Wolverine and 2013's The Wolverine. But watching it, you're struck by the thought that it could be set in a world in which those earlier films were just films – and this paranoid, punishingly violent noir western is the real, shotgun-toting, limb-lopping deal.

SlashFilm - 9.5/10
What makes Logan special is how it effortlessly navigates different genres and tones. It's a road movie, but it's also an action film with ambitious set pieces. It's a sci-fi superhero film, but it's also infused with a lot of humor and tenderness. Most importantly, it's a fitting conclusion for one of the most iconic comic book character portrayals of the past 20 years.

I laughed. I cried. And I was grateful to have gone on the entire cinematic journey with Hugh Jackman's character all these years. Logan is an incredible film. It's my favorite X-Men film. And it might even be my favorite superhero film of all time.

Bloody Disgusting - 5/5
Logan finds the perfect mix of action, drama, comedy and even horror. It never drags from start to finish, and after the credits rolled I wished so badly I could sit back down and watch it again. Marvel proved with its own movies that its characters belong grounded in reality, and while I don't think that's necessarily true for ALL of the X-Men, Wolverine is clearly one of those characters. Logan is a movie that would never get made under the Disney banner, and it makes an incredible case for giving violent characters like Logan and Deadpool a bigger budget in addition to an ”R" rating.

CBR - Positive
Movies like this are why the R-rating is so valuable. Freed from the MPAA's squeamishness over blood, ”Logan" is able to display the full force and fury its protagonist's powers can wreak. Conversely, the damage done to Wolverine's body is no longer sold through grunts and red-stained wife-beaters, but through gory makeup that will make fans cry out in terror. While Fox's R-rated ”Deadpool" played with the expanded limits with a gleeful desire to shock, ”Logan" uses its increased violence to land the threat of death and its fatality like no other superhero movie has dared. The result is a powerful, poignant, and provocative film that will make your pulse race, your heart ache, and your head spin.

Vulture
PoJ6zLh.png

The Guardian - 4/5
But the heart of the movie is the unexpectedly poignant relationship between Xavier and Logan: I'd be tempted to call them the Steptoe and Son of the mutant world, although in fact Logan goes into Basil Fawlty mode at one stage with his own pickup truck, attempting to trash it – perhaps to teach it a lesson. Logan is a forthright, muscular movie which preserves the X-Men's strange, exotic idealism.

Forbes - Positive
Yet Logan exists as a fascinating example of where mainstream cinema sits at this moment. To wit, the copious moviegoers who flock to Logan and revel in the genre appropriation would never think to sample the genuine article absent the super-heroic franchise trappings. But if comic book superhero films (or fantastical action movies like the Fast and Furious or Mission: Impossible franchises) are becoming the new genre, then we should hope that they, on average, are at least as good as Logan.

Screen International - Negative
"Logan" self-consciously aspires to retire the steel-clawed hero with epic grandeur, and the results are often rousingly bleak. And yet, the risks taken only make the formulaic redemption story and cliched emotional underpinnings increasingly frustrating.

Time - Negative
Yet this isn't a performers' movie—it's too hung up on its mission for that. The themes of Logan are ragingly topical, pointing in the direction of things that every decent American should care about right now. But themes aren't feelings or attributes or actions; they're almost not even ideas. They're not the explosions that shake you to the core, like the thunder of unease you feel after you've watched a movie like Alfonso Cuaron's Children of Men, or that picture's natural predecessor, Ingmar Bergman's Shame. They're just things you make movies about. The great political movies of our time are yet to be made, and they will come. Logan, by either luck or prescience or some combination of both, feels political, but it's really just business as usual in the comic-book-movie game.
Also if it matters, me and Bobby Robberts have also already seen the film (we both liked it -- me a little less so). I'll have a bullet point quick review up as well as some tagged spoiler deets later on.

Man, Michael Green is gonna have sort of a crazy year: Logan, American Gods, Alien: Covenant, Blade Runner 2049, and Murder on the Orient Express.

That Telegraph review is 100% worth reading. Really good shit in there. Curious to see what Walter Chaw thinks of it when he finally posts his, as well.

Is it Fury Road good though?

No.

But does he wear the yellow spandex tho.

You do see the yellow spandex more than once.

You also hear Logan's thoughts on such attire, and on the subject of superhero comics in general.

They are... not altogether positive thoughts, Logan's.

SoldnerKei

Nice, I was really looking forward to this but was on the fence because 'lol x-men movies', glad to know it holds up.

Hollywood finally has their Last of Us moment.

I am really glad to hear that it seems to be as great a sendoff for the character as the trailers suggested. I haven't really liked an X-men film outside of X2, so here's hoping Logan can join it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Really hope this is awesome as its sounding. Jackman has really grown on me over the years as Wolverine when I was not really that into him or his portrayal in the original couple films but damn he has committed to the role and if it took all this time to get a truly excellent Wolverine movie out of all that hardwork then it was so damn worth it.

Newlove

The Nerdist link in the OP is the gizmondo link by the way. Man, I was hyped after seeing the trailers and the tone they were going for. Good to see I won't be disappointed.

Very pleased that apparently Jackman went out on a high note. Looking forward to the Kermode review even though he'll probably wait until the week of release.
Now, my long and arduous journey to avoid the temptation of spoilers begins.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hollywood finally has their Last of Us moment.

I am really glad to hear that it seems to be as great a sendoff for the character as the trailers suggested. I haven't really liked an X-men film outside of X2, so here's hoping Logan can join it.

Until Logan...Part II

X23: I'm going to find them and kill them all...

"joins The Dark Knight and Unbreakable"

Oh thank fuck for that, a film of actual substance. I'm so fucking bored of stock origin films and connected universes from the other companies. I never would have guessed it would be Fox who got me looking forward to a superhero film again.

The nice thing with Fox's general lack of fucks is that even though we do get some Wolverine Origins once in a while, they are the only studio who can allow comic-book films like this to exist. The others are too obsessed with their continuity and shared universes.

Bless this movie, so glad it seems to be as good as it looks. Definitely recalls the Dark Knight in that it's not particularly continuity bound and focuses instead on telling the story in an appropriate filmic genre that's not the nebulous and ubiquitous "superhero movie" that has, to my eyes, come to be defined by a generic studio sheen and blanching of creative and storytelling individuality. Smaller scale, more emotional stakes, not giving a fuck about movies that exist outside its runtime, and a unique look and feel that is thoroughly cinematic. This is the direction I was hoping to see comic book movies go following DK's success.

Glad to see that the first batches of reviews are very good. Hopefully this is the Wolverine movie I've been waiting for. Fairly excited.

Bless this movie, so glad it seems to be as good as it looks. Definitely recalls the Dark Knight in that it's not particularly continuity bound and focuses instead on telling the story in an appropriate filmic genre that's not the nebulous and ubiquitous "superhero movie" that has, to my eyes, come to be defined by a generic studio sheen and blanching of creative and storytelling individuality. Smaller scale, more emotional stakes, not giving a fuck about movies that exist outside its runtime, and a unique look and feel that is thoroughly cinematic. This is the direction I was hoping to see comic book movies go following DK's success.

I really like the MCU, but I'm also really glad this movie is ignoring the other x-men stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom