• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan was a mean movie and still a mean future for the mutants stop being so mean

I just watched this and I really didn't like this at all and what it meant for the future of the xmen and mutants.

So in X-Men: Days of Future Past in the original timeline everything led up to some bad future in 2023 where killer robots were wiping out mutants and some humans who carry the mutant X-Gene.

Then since they sent Wolverine back in time and changed some stuff when we woke up back in a new different 2023 everything was changed but for the better. The world was more tolerant of mutants, alot of bad shit from the other movies never happened, Jeane and Cyclops were alive etc... and it looked great and really hopeful for the future.

But then we have the sequel to that being Logan.

So in just 6 years time we are meant to believe that Wolverine is now apparently really old all of a sudden, his healing is failing and he is dying even though he was fine just 6 years before that....

And Xavier is the worst. They give him alzheimer's which is such a awful thing to do to his character and he apparently accidentally killed a bunch of people and some of the xmen but they dont tell us who so we have no real idea of whos left. So he and Wolverine got fucked over in just 6 random years after? Also there is no cure for alzheimers in 2020s? No mutant who can heal other people?

Oh! Oh! and instead of changing the future of the original timeline which was the end of the mutants due to those killer robots, the mutants are wiped out again anyway due to that shit some company put in the food to suppress the gene and also hunted the rest down! wtf

It just seemed really shitty to go from such a positive hopeful ending of a brand new better future in end of DOFP to this shit.

Stop trying to parse the garbage that is the X-Men film continuity and focus on the fact that Logan is a great movie that stands on its own.

Tagyhag

It sounds like you just want a movie that's about rainbows and ponies.

It's a darker movie, and people loved it. But it still had a ray of hope at the end did it not?

And hoo-boy, if you think Alzheimer's is going to be fixed in a decade, I have some bad news.

Blader

Tbf, Hank warns in DOFP about time having a way of course correcting itself. Mutants were always going to be doomed; if it wasn't the Sentinels, it was, uh, corn syrup.

7Th

It's a good movie with a pretty dumb backstory. And I mean the under-cooked "genetically modified food" plot that they came up with to explain the setting.

shira

Damn and we have a movement to give Picard a Best Supporting Actor nomination

happy.gif

noquarter

Hmmm... I thought it was supposed to be a standalone like the Old Man Logan books. Don't believe it is actually part of the XMen film canon.

Guess it could be, but don't really care since it is one of the best X films and will still in my head just say it is a 'oneshot'.

Dynomutt

There's X-Men from 2000 which was not bad. (All the bullshit in between)------------------------------------------------------------------------------then the masterpiece Logan. It not just a good super-hero movie but a good movie.

First Class, DOFP, and Apocalypse don't even count to me. Fan-fiction as far as I'm concerned.

Armadilo

Banned
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Until then...

giphy.gif

Maybe I'm just one of those people that enjoys entertainment and doesn't really care or pay attention to the details, I just enjoyed it for what it was

SpaceWolf

Banned
I have to admit, I'm not a fan of how Logan essentially ruined the refreshingly optimistic ending of Days of Future Past. Given all the shit Logan had been through, I really liked how Logan finally had gotten a second chance at living his life again in the manor with the X-Men, almost sort of as his final reward. It felt like it tied a nice neat bow over the original X-Men franchise, whilst making space for the new timeline with the younger cast.

But nope, turns out a handful of years later, mutant kind gets essentially wiped out again and everything dissolves into absolute shit once more, leaving Logan once again as a bitter, tormented, traumatised wreck. Hurray!

EDIT: Just wanted to be clear, I really enjoyed the movie. Ultimately what matters more over all the timeline nonsense is a great story, which I felt Logan delivered in spades. I just wasn't a huge fan of how the film kind of diminished my enjoyment of DOFP's ending (which I loved for its optimism).

Replicant

Nah, I chose to believe that Logan's timeline is the timeline where he got fished out of the river in DoFP. Not the happy alternate timeline of DoFP.

How can you even get sad about this in a universe where any event can and will be retconned at the drop of a hat?

Let the movie stand on its own.

LordKasual

Banned
I just watched this and I really didn't like this at all and what it meant for the future of the xmen and mutants.

So in X-Men: Days of Future Past in the original timeline everything led up to some bad future in 2023 where killer robots were wiping out mutants and some humans who carry the mutant X-Gene.

Then since they sent Wolverine back in time and changed some stuff when we woke up back in a new different 2023 everything was changed but for the better. The world was more tolerant of mutants, alot of bad shit from the other movies never happened, Jeane and Cyclops were alive etc... and it looked great and really hopeful for the future.

But then we have the sequel to that being Logan.

So in just 6 years time we are meant to believe that Wolverine is now apparently really old all of a sudden, his healing is failing and he is dying even though he was fine just 6 years before that....

And Xavier is the worst. They give him alzheimer's which is such a awful thing to do to his character and he apparently accidentally killed a bunch of people and some of the xmen but they dont tell us who so we have no real idea of whos left. So he and Wolverine got fucked over in just 6 random years after? Also there is no cure for alzheimers in 2020s? No mutant who can heal other people?

Oh! Oh! and instead of changing the future of the original timeline which was the end of the mutants due to those killer robots, the mutants are wiped out again anyway due to that shit some company put in the food to suppress the gene and also hunted the rest down! wtf

It just seemed really shitty to go from such a positive hopeful ending of a brand new better future in end of DOFP to this shit.

tl;dr go away

Wolverine is sick, and that is why his healing is slowing down.

I think the movie was really effective. It was like a X-Men take on Leon. It's a more relateable and personal movie, a road story movie, and one where you don't get the impression that action scenes are just there to distract from a weak plot.

I liked Logan a lot, and I liked how much was not explained. Because it doesn't matter. The background doesn't matter. You're just here now, at this time with these characters, and it's about how they deal with that.

Why should it end positively? Wolverine has cheated death so many times, and so many of his loved ones have died along the way. There is no happy "riding off into the sunset" for a guy who will always be the center of death of violence and death. He got the best ending a superhero could get, and that wasn't too much to ask for, due to the poor scripts he got in the two previous films.

Name a X-Men story line with a happy ending for mutants.... ok thank you, there isn't one.

"but but but wolverine woke up and everyone was alive so it must have been a happy future!" yeah for that day. All x-men stories lead to horrible stuff. Sentinels, Apocalypse, Stryfe, Phallanx, Mr. Sinister, Terrigen mist, legacy virus (which this movie slightly refrences in the form of their cure), Phoenix, ect. ect. ect. ect. ect.

On to the movie in particular yeah, Prof. X killing some people he cares about deeply, hurting the others severely in the hundreds which we can assume were mostly the children at the school... yeah that probably had a huge affect on him, and Wolverine who as they said was more resistant to it thanks to healing factor.

Just be happy you got a good x-men movie for once. But as an x-men fan, you were never getting a happy ending if they follow the theme of the comics.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I thought logans timeline was its own anyway?

It's not but that's why thinking Logan sucks for timeline reasons, cus FOX doesn't give a single shit about them. Logan might as well be a different timeline, they don't care so why should we?

Basically the movie makes Canada into Genosha, I mean there is a good chance if we every get Logan 2, then a large chunk of X-men characters are chilling out with Magneto, Canadian prime minister.

Logan is meant to be a 'What If' type of story, it doesn't actually fit into the canon timeline, I'm pretty sure. Not that it matters much, it's a mess anyway

I still can't get over how badly they fucked over that family on the farm. I mean, they're being chased by horrible people who they just had a huge ordeal with at that hotel, and yet they still take The Munsons up on their offer, obviously putting their innocent asses in danger? Just so X could indulge in some humanity again?

That's the shit that bummed me out the most, forget about anything in the 3rd act.

kai3345

Banned
it was cool until dark logan showed up.

literally gave him a black hoodie and red eyes so you know he's evil

come on

theWB27

It's not but that's why thinking Logan sucks for timeline reasons, cus FOX doesn't give a single shit about them. Logan might as well be a different timeline, they don't care so why should we?

As long as its Logan quality i won't care.

Tbf, Hank warns in DOFP about time having a way of course correcting itself. Mutants were always going to be doomed; if it wasn't the Sentinels, it was, uh, corn syrup.

Yeah that was a pretty shitty line.

That means that the Sentinels were made because of some universal destiny.

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of how Logan essentially ruined the refreshingly optimistic ending of Days of Future Past. Given all the shit Logan had been through, I really liked how Logan finally had gotten a second chance at living his life again in the manor with all his friends, almost sort of as his final reward. It felt like it tied a nice neat bow over the original X-Men franchise, whilst making space for the new timeline with the younger cast.

But nope, turns out a handful of years later, mutant kind gets essentially wiped out again and everything goes to absolute shit again, leaving Logan once again as a bitter, tormented, traumatised wreck. Hurray!

This guy gets it

Top Bottom