• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London 2012 Summer Olympics |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raist

Banned
So the CHN-KOR Womens Double cheating match was not commentated. Meaning, you can hear what they are saying.

Now, here is the full video:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video/p00w2y9b

It starts at 00:57:00.

Anyone speaking Korean or Chinese, who can manage to understand anything they are saying?

EDIT: It looks extremely ugly. Seeing the full thing, from warm up to actual play. One can hear, the audience, how they slowly start to realize, wtf is going on.

Was this some kind of sick joke? wtf.

zero_suit

images
A lot of their matches have been close, but Murray seems to blink first.

Kjellson

All right, as requested, here is a list of every medalist of the United States so far:

(Note, I went through every medalist, even in teams, so this list will make it look like you have more medals than you actually have)

California
9 Gold (Kim Rhode, Missy Franklin x 2, McKayla Maroney, Alyssa Anderson, Erin Cafaro, Eshter Lofgren, Mary Whipple, Tyler Clary)
1 Silver (Jason Lezak)
5 Bronze (Natalie Coughlin, Missy Franklin, Jessica Hardy, Kara Kohler, Adrienne Martelli)
15 Total

New York
6 Gold (Ryan Lochte x 2, Dana Vollmer x 2, Meghan Musnicki, Caryn Davies)
4 Silver (Jake Kaminski, Cullen Jones, Ryan Lochte x 2)
4 Bronze (Lia Neal, Troy Dumais, Kristian Ipsen, Ryan Lochte)
14 Total

Pennsylvania
3 Gold (Allison Schmitt x 2, Susan Francia)
1 Silver (Allison Schmitt)
2 Bronze (Allison Schmitt, Brendan Hansen)
6 Total

North Carolina
3 Gold (Ricky Berens, Charlie Houchin, Caroline Lind)
1 Silver (Ricky Berens)
1 Bronze (Nick McCrory)
5 Total

Virginia
3 Gold (Gabrielle Douglas x 2, Lauren Perdue)
3 Total

Ohio
2 Gold (Matt McLean, Kayla Harrison)
3 Silver (Jacob Wukle, Abigail Johnston, Nick Thoman)
5 Total

Maryland
2 Gold (Michael Phelps x 2)
2 Silver (Michael Phelps x 2)
1 Bronze (Natalie Dell)
5 Total

Illinois
2 Gold (Matt Grevers, Conor Dwyer)
2 Silver (Kelci Bryant, Matt Grevers)
4 Total

Tennessee
2 Gold (Davis Tarwater, Kristin Armstrong)
2 Total

Washington
1 Gold (Nathan Adrian)
1 Silver (Nathan Adrian)
1 Bronze (Marti Malloy)
3 Total

Hawaii
1 Gold (Kyla Ross)
1 Silver (Jimmy Feigen)
2 Total

New Jersey
1 Gold (Rebecca Soni)
1 Silver (Rebecca Soni)
2 Total

Florida
1 Gold (Vincent Hancock)
1 Bronze (Danell Levya)
2 Total

Michigan
1 Gold (Jordyn Wieber)
1 Bronze (Peter Vanderkaay)
2 Total

Colorado
1 Gold (Taylor Ritzel)
1 Total

Maine
1 Gold (Elle Logan)
1 Total

Massachusetts
1 Gold (Alexandra Raisman)
1 Total

Missouri
1 Gold (Shannon Vreeland)
1 Total

Arizona
1 Silver (Brady Ellison)
1 Bronze (Caitlin Leverenz)
2 Total

Rhode Island
1 Silver (Elizabeth Beisel)
1 Total

Iowa
1 Bronze (Amanda Weir)
1 Total

Minnesota
1 Bronze (Megan Kalmoe)
1 Total

Texas
1 Bronze (David Boudia)
1 Total

Ya boxing is beyond redemption. Didn't see it as I was not even 2 years old but Roy Jones got fucked over in 88 landed like 800 shots to the face and losing. The athletes must love their sport as I would be so discouraged to know that at any moment I can lose for no reason.
In the professional sphere the British boxer Amir Khan lost because of obviously ringside interference.

zero_suit

It's just 3 sets. Murray would've won in Australian Open if they only played 3 sets. After that they went 1-1 against each other, though all are on hard courts. With the crowd behind him I would say it's a 50-50 match.
The keys will be his 1st serve percentage and level of aggression.

Korey

the most disgusting thing i've seen. My only thought is the ref must not know anything about boxing.. thank god they ended up over-ruling.

From that article it feels like they only did it because it was so obvious and had massive press. It feels like both the Boxing Association and the ref were in cahoots, and he's just "taking the fall" for it. Doesn't it basically confirm the previous controversy?

AIBA has been involved in controversies regarding Azerbaijan's program as recently as last September, when British network BBC reported on allegations that in exchange for a $10-million loan, Azerbaijan's boxers would be promised two gold medals at the 2012 London Olympics.

I've never even heard of Azerbaijan until this happened

Kjellson

I think Missy Franklin is from Colorado. That's all they seem to mention here (In Colorado that is).
According to Wikipedia, she was born in California but raised in Colorado. It's too much work to check where they were raised so I just used their birth state. Heh.

The only exceptions are Susan Francia, who was born in Hungary, and Danell Levya, who was born in Cuba.

Tapiozona

Banned
Just read that the BBC did a story about how Azerbaijan had paid $10,000,000 to ensure that two of its boxers would receive gold medals in London. After a lengthy investigation, they found that the BBC's claims had no merits.

Looks like the BBC was right. Fuckin sham of a sport.

Edit, beaten.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm too lazy to read the convoluted website of the olympics for this info, but how are tickets managed??

Is it per-event or per-day??? Like, does the ticket give you entry to any event or you have to buy them separately?

You buy time slots. So eg for the rowing tomorrow, you get 9.30-1300, which covers a lot of events and several finals. Athletics seems to be broken up into 3/4 blocks per day

How does one go about getting Olympic tickets?

Google Olympic tickets,there is an official website. Go to search and pop in 'Olympic park venues' in the filter and you'll see all tickets available in any of the Olympic park venues (stadium, aquatic centre, velodrome etc)

£450 for women's uneven bars final, Men's rings final and men's vault final?
£450 for women's 10m diving final
£150 for the morning session tomorrow in the stadium (you'll have to get there for 10am)

£725 for the mens 4x400m final and women's 4x100m final

mrklaw

MrArseFace
£50 each. Not cheap but the event is in the Olympic park so I can have a gander around.

Ah, does any Olympic park event give you general access to the park? That would make it worth looking for cheap tickets just to get some atmosphere. Stadium tickets are still hundreds of pounds

Big-E

Just read that the BBC did a story about how Azerbaijan had paid $10,000,000 to ensure that two of its boxers would receive gold medals in London. After a lengthy investigation, they found that the BBC's claims had no merits.

Looks like the BBC was right. Fuckin sham of a sport.

Edit, beaten.

Ya, you would think the federation would be extra special with the report but guess what no one gives a shit. Fencer gets fucked over and they try to give her a fake medal, the Chinese cyclists apparently get fucked over and its a simple oh well, Boxer gets fucked over they go after the ref and not the judges, 4 teams decide to just throw a match in order to improve their chances of winning and they get the book thrown at them. I know the IOC technically has nothing to do with this but it strikes me as bullshit that the athletes lose out while these federations continue to get nothing done to them. I also believe the only reason why the badminton players got suspended because Rogge was there and was unhappy.

Caribbean countries wont be happy about it.

I understand, but we are not just talking about isolated incidents here, we are talking about decades or corruption penetrating every level of the sport at this point. Boxing is just an eyesore to the Olympics and a joke to the informed and there is no feasible way to fix it. It's time to cut their losses and drop it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Ah, does any Olympic park event give you general access to the park? That would make it worth looking for cheap tickets just to get some atmosphere. Stadium tickets are still hundreds of pounds

Yes, that's why I was looking specifically for events in the Park. The Park day passes that were £10 sold out months ago, so the only chance of getting in are if your event takes place in there.

According to Wikipedia, she was born in California but raised in Colorado. It's too much work to check where they were raised so I just used their birth state. Heh.

The only exceptions are Susan Francia, who was born in Hungary, and Danell Levya, who was born in Cuba.

No, that's fine. You did this for kicks so don't worry about it.

Alebrije

I understand, but we are not just talking about isolated incidents here, we are talking about decades or corruption penetrating every level of the sport at this point. Boxing is just an eyesore to the Olympics and a joke to the informed and there is no feasible way to fix it. It's time to cut their losses and drop it.

Box is so corrupted that these are the mexican "figures" now :

El CANELO created by TELEVISA :

saul-canelo-lvarez-300x350.jpg

CHAVEZ JR created by TV AZTECA :

images

Both are "products" made by the only two TV broadcasters in the country and obviosly have a lot of power in Mexico.

How much you wanna bet that the Olympic officials will remove basketball from the list of sports after 2012?

It might be a lot more level the next Olympics considering the NBA is likely to institute a ban on NBA players playing in the Olympics (so the US would only send players under 23 years of age).

Bleepey

You buy time slots. So eg for the rowing tomorrow, you get 9.30-1300, which covers a lot of events and several finals. Athletics seems to be broken up into 3/4 blocks per day

Google Olympic tickets,there is an official website. Go to search and pop in 'Olympic park venues' in the filter and you'll see all tickets available in any of the Olympic park venues (stadium, aquatic centre, velodrome etc)

£450 for women's uneven bars final, Men's rings final and men's vault final?
£450 for women's 10m diving final
£150 for the morning session tomorrow in the stadium (you'll have to get there for 10am)

£725 for the mens 4x400m final and women's 4x100m final

Oh hell no. I was hoping for a £20 or so ticket. i can't afford that shit.

Alebrije

I really wouldn't mix amateur and professional boxing in the same plate.

Ask for any amateur boxer what is his dream, pretty sure is not being on olimpic games all his carrer. They start as amateurs and the move to professional. But now all is spoiled specially here in Mexico and since TV controls the sport.

Big-E

How much you wanna bet that the Olympic officials will remove basketball from the list of sports after 2012?

0.5 percent chance. The IOC wants money and having the dream team come in gives them money. They wanted pro baseball to come on in so that people can get excited and they can gain more money. They don't come, they get rid of it. I thought the Olympics are about the spirit of sport?

ascii42

It might be a lot more level the next Olympics considering the NBA is likely to institute a ban on NBA players playing in the Olympics (so the US would only send players under 23 years of age).

Might help, but that would also hurt a lot of other countries as well.

Is there a good reason to do that? Do other events have this type of restriction?

Well David Stern (NBA commissioner) and NBA owners are the ones who would put that restriction into place. They don't want their top players (investments) going overseas and risking any injury.

Miles X

All right, as requested, here is a list of every medalist of the United States so far:

(Note, I went through every medalist, even in teams, so this list will make it look like you have more medals than you actually have)

California
9 Gold (Kim Rhode, Missy Franklin x 2, McKayla Maroney, Alyssa Anderson, Erin Cafaro, Eshter Lofgren, Mary Whipple, Tyler Clary)
1 Silver (Jason Lezak)
5 Bronze (Natalie Coughlin, Missy Franklin, Jessica Hardy, Kara Kohler, Adrienne Martelli)
15 Total

New York
6 Gold (Ryan Lochte x 2, Dana Vollmer x 2, Meghan Musnicki, Caryn Davies)
4 Silver (Jake Kaminski, Cullen Jones, Ryan Lochte x 2)
4 Bronze (Lia Neal, Troy Dumais, Kristian Ipsen, Ryan Lochte)
14 Total

Pennsylvania
3 Gold (Allison Schmitt x 2, Susan Francia)
1 Silver (Allison Schmitt)
2 Bronze (Allison Schmitt, Brendan Hansen)
6 Total

North Carolina
3 Gold (Ricky Berens, Charlie Houchin, Caroline Lind)
1 Silver (Ricky Berens)
1 Bronze (Nick McCrory)
5 Total

Virginia
3 Gold (Gabrielle Douglas x 2, Lauren Perdue)
3 Total

Ohio
2 Gold (Matt McLean, Kayla Harrison)
3 Silver (Jacob Wukle, Abigail Johnston, Nick Thoman)
5 Total

Maryland
2 Gold (Michael Phelps x 2)
2 Silver (Michael Phelps x 2)
1 Bronze (Natalie Dell)
5 Total

Illinois
2 Gold (Matt Grevers, Conor Dwyer)
2 Silver (Kelci Bryant, Matt Grevers)
4 Total

Tennessee
2 Gold (Davis Tarwater, Kristin Armstrong)
2 Total

Washington
1 Gold (Nathan Adrian)
1 Silver (Nathan Adrian)
1 Bronze (Marti Malloy)
3 Total

Hawaii
1 Gold (Kyla Ross)
1 Silver (Jimmy Feigen)
2 Total

New Jersey
1 Gold (Rebecca Soni)
1 Silver (Rebecca Soni)
2 Total

Florida
1 Gold (Vincent Hancock)
1 Bronze (Danell Levya)
2 Total

Michigan
1 Gold (Jordyn Wieber)
1 Bronze (Peter Vanderkaay)
2 Total

Colorado
1 Gold (Taylor Ritzel)
1 Total

Maine
1 Gold (Elle Logan)
1 Total

Massachusetts
1 Gold (Alexandra Raisman)
1 Total

Missouri
1 Gold (Shannon Vreeland)
1 Total

Arizona
1 Silver (Brady Ellison)
1 Bronze (Caitlin Leverenz)
2 Total

Rhode Island
1 Silver (Elizabeth Beisel)
1 Total

Iowa
1 Bronze (Amanda Weir)
1 Total

Minnesota
1 Bronze (Megan Kalmoe)
1 Total

Texas
1 Bronze (David Boudia)
1 Total

Thanks for this!! Didn't know Ryan was a New Yorker, any states there doing impressive numbers? Ohio I imagin?

Chumly

Why? China has dominated Ping-Pong just as much as the US has dominated Basketball, and you can't tell me that ping-pong has a more international appeal than basketball

Exactly. If we have to put up with stuff like Badminton and Table Tennis......... I think basketball is ok.

Is there a good reason to do that? Do other events have this type of restriction?

Football/soccer.

Of course football also has a World Cup every four years. Which is what some of the NBA owners behind this "23-and-under" movement want. They want a "World Cup" every four years run through FIBA where all of the players can play, while the Olympics will just have the amateurs.

This way you have the best players only playing every four years(instead of every two years where they play in both the Olympics and the FIBA World Championships, and the new tournament wouldn't be run through the IOC, meaning that the NBA owners would get a cut of the profits.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Football is under 23's with three over-age players. It works there, though, because the World Cup is bigger than the Olympics.

International Basketball doesn't have a bigger stage than the Olympics so should use their best players. I'm not sure the IOC would let them only bring youngsters, they'd probably rather get rid of the sport like they did with Baseball.

One of the provisions that Golf got in for 2016 was that the best players in the world would have to play.

I really wouldn't mix amateur and professional boxing in the same plate.

It's all fruit of the poisonous tree. These fighters are only "amateurs" in name. Promoters, networks, whatever (depending on the country), they all have their hands connected to the brightest of these "amateur" fighters and are trying to build a narrative and a record in which to make money from. How do you do that? Ensure they win by any means necessary. Basically they spend money now to hopefully make a lot more later.

Draconian

Wow, two swimmers tied in the men's 50m free semi? So if that happens in the final, do they both win gold? Probably a dumb question, but it seems a little weird.

Big-E

Wow, two swimmers tied in the men's 50m free semi? So if that happens in the final, do they both win gold? Probably a dumb question, but it seems a little weird.

Ties means they both get the same medal. Happened already in the pool with a Korean and a Chinese sharing silver, no bronze is awarded then.

Korey

Football is under 23's with three over-age players. It works there, though, because the World Cup is bigger than the Olympics.

International Basketball doesn't have a bigger stage than the Olympics so should use their best players. I'm not sure the IOC would let them only bring youngsters, they'd probably rather get rid of the sport like they did with Baseball.

One of the provisions that Golf got in for 2016 was that the best players in the world would have to play.

Age makes more sense to me than an NBA ban.

The NBA ban has already been done before hasn't it? Then it was changed to allow NBA players. Then NBA players didn't want to go to the Olympics and risk injury for the regular season, but are now forced/pressured to go.

So the people talking about an NBA ban don't make any sense.

Ties means they both get the same medal. Happened already in the pool with a Korean and a Chinese sharing silver, no bronze is awarded then.

Do they have a special podium for that? Do they play both anthems at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom