• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London 2016? Plans to move Rio Olympics to UK amid concerns over Brazil’s preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagusas

Elden Member
And undeveloped land the size of Manchester.

Edit Walt Disneyworld Olympics would be awesome, give a suitable reason to go again since I don't yet have kids lol

That would be awesome, they have a ton of space to build new facilities to accommodate it. They already have the infrastructure in place to move people around (thought the parks would be basically offlimits to non-high paying olympic viewers). The improvements they made could quickly be transitioned post olypics into new theme parks.

Acorn

That would be awesome, they have a ton of space to build new facilities to accommodate it. They already have the infrastructure in place to move people around (thought the parks would be basically offlimits to non-high paying olympic viewers). The improvements they made could quickly be transitioned post olypics into new theme parks.
Yup, could be like an old school worlds fair/olympics. I really want this to happen at some point, it fits so well.

Gaf has got have some ' imagineers', make it happen!

M3d10n

It would be an awesome wake up call to the corrupt politicians, having their bullshit stamped all over the world, their incompetence forever recorded in world history.

Makes perfect sense. Rio can do the following one.

It doesn't matter if Rio gets extra two years added to the deadline: they'll always sit on their asses and wait until there's only like 3 months left before actually getting things done.

The public construction business in Brazil has been optimized for maximum bribery extraction for so long that it turned out utterly unsuitable for the demands of a high visibility world-class event.

Taking ages to complete simple projects, overshooting budgets by several times the original estimate and underdelivering when the deadline is up is the default modus operandi for all public projects, where the sole objectives are to get money through arranged contracts and getting material for the next electoral campaign (which often doesn't require projects to be completed and fully operational: they just need to look good enough on TV).

I'm sure FIFA and the Olympic committee also get mad bribes out from these deals, but the Brazilian public project bribe machine was on a completely different level even for them.

is london suggested just because it can handle the capacity? surely it would be more fair for another country to have it?

It's mainly because they've still got the facilities, and may not have finished converting them into permanent parts of the community. It'd be super-wierd to go back to London. What would they do for the ceremonies? Just ANOTHER celebration of UK culture?

is london suggested just because it can handle the capacity? surely it would be more fair for another country to have it?

It's one of the clauses in taking the Olympics that you have to be prepared to take over them if the next one goes awry, Greece had the IOC shitting bricks just months before their games.

mclem

It's mainly because they've still got the facilities, and may not have finished converting them into permanent parts of the community. It'd be super-wierd to go back to London. What would they do for the ceremonies? Just ANOTHER celebration of UK culture?

Get the script / schedule of the Rio opening ceremony and just carry that out... performed by a herd of Mary Poppinses, dancing NHS nurses, a giant Voldemort, pogoing punks and Kenneth Branagh

Parch

I doubt it's worse than Russia.
The Sochi olympics pretty much went flawlessly. Sure they had their corruption and overcosts, but they got the job done. It sounds like Rio isn't even capable of holding the events yet. 10% complete with 2 years left? That's not good. Sochi was never in that bad of a position.

Jimrpg

I'm working in construction in Malaysia and i expect pretty much the same thing from Brazil. People here just don't give a shit about timeliness especially when you are paying pittance for their work. Plus they always give stupid excuses for not coming, your painting is not done yet I'm not doing the windows, you haven't clear the shrubs, I'm not doing the water pipe. Then there are things like working as slow as possible if it's on an hourly or daily rate like hiring a truck.

You would think you could just go to the next contractor but nope they are all the fucking same. Fuck them all and fuck them hard.

Also not a big fan of Brazil with the World Cup, the players have to travel so far it's crazy. They should at least keep it around Rio.

justjohn

Do they have any idea how expensive this is? Unless the IOC is paying the British government to host it, I don't see how this will benefit us.

Seeing as how Scotland will likely be independent before 2016, they could host it in Glasgow and use the Commonwealth Games facilities, maybe?

Wouldn't mind if they just keep hosting the Olympics in countries that can handle them without many issues.

Hopefully it all works out though.

cripterion

That wouldn't be fair to other countries imo.

Also this speaks volumes of the baffling decision to choose Rio as a hosting place for Olympics!

Seeing as how Scotland will likely be independent before 2016, they could host it in Glasgow and use the Commonwealth Games facilities, maybe?

Scotland is not likely to be independent, all polls have shown a lead for the no campaign.

Although as all Scottish households are to be given a dvd of Braveheart, independence is possible.

Pachael

They only say that to give some of the folks on the organising committee in the host countries a bit of a kick up the arse.

At the Games itself it'll be a-OK, the TV coverage and cameras will go around the unfinished and lol worthy stuff.

I hope it happens. I lived in London in 2012, but I didn't watch a single event, even on television. I hated the extra delays to transport, constant tourists in my face, extra workload because of the games (I worked in hospitality then) that hated the whole thing and wanted nothing to do with it.

Now my life is a bit simpler, I am kinda kicking myself. I had a fucking Olympic games on my doorstep and I didn't take advantage. If it does come in 2016, I can be one of the annoying cunts clogging up the transport system instead.

That said. Moving a Olympic games this late in the game seems a bit....far fetched?

Gambit

Funny how these things repeat themselves.

About two years before the World Cup in South Africa many German newspapers ran reports that the FIFA was thinking about having the WC in Germany again because the South African stadiums were not ready yet.

Now we switch out the giant sporting event, the previously successful host and the still developing country that just won't deliver.
Voila, same story.

What happens with the Olympic Stadium for example if this turns out to be true?

I thought it was already granted for West Ham for the start of 2016/2017 season?

Yeah, it has been granted to West Ham, but the stadium was always intended to be used for multiple purposes - it'll have retractable seating that can be pulled back for an athletics track, but because the top tier has been de-constructed to allow for a new roof to be built there won't be as many seats available as there were in the 2012 games. The new capacity will be 54,000, but with the retractable seats pulled back it'll be less than that for any athletics event hosted there.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Funny how these things repeat themselves.

About two years before the World Cup in South Africa many German newspapers ran reports that the FIFA was thinking about having the WC in Germany again because the South African stadiums were not ready yet.

Now we switch out the giant sporting event, the previously successful host and the still developing country that just won't deliver.
Voila, same story.

God I would've preferred this so much. Less fucking vuvuzelas.

Also not a big fan of Brazil with the World Cup, the players have to travel so far it's crazy. They should at least keep it around Rio.
Half the teams have a total of three games, that's two trips between games, with three full off days for each trip. I imagine most of that will be done by plane, what's the longest flight between sites? According to a quick google, "A typical flight between Porto Alegre Brazil to Manaus Brazil would have a flying time of about 3 hours 54 mins." I think this is overblown.

That wouldn't be fair to other countries imo.

Also this speaks volumes of the baffling decision to choose Rio as a hosting place for Olympics!
They gave the Games to Rio out of "fairness," moving them to London (which I highly doubt will happen) would be about scrambling to save their asses. Their Plan B has to work, because there sure as hell isn't time for a Plan C. That's why Commonwealth Games hosts can't really be considered either, since they likely don't have facilities for some of the sports, such as rowing and canoeing (especially slalom, which requires a pretty specific type of facility.)

Joni

I could see them moving depending on the impact of the World Cup. They can't afford to move if the World Cup goes smoothly.

M3d10n

I'm working in construction in Malaysia and i expect pretty much the same thing from Brazil. People here just don't give a shit about timeliness especially when you are paying pittance for their work. Plus they always give stupid excuses for not coming, your painting is not done yet I'm not doing the windows, you haven't clear the shrubs, I'm not doing the water pipe. Then there are things like working as slow as possible if it's on an hourly or daily rate like hiring a truck.

You would think you could just go to the next contractor but nope they are all the fucking same. Fuck them all and fuck them hard.

Oh, private construction does work around here. It's not "oh my God, so fast!", but luxurious office and apartment buildings get done in a timely manner all the time. In my city they built this gigantic mall in a one year. However, that's how long it's gonna take to add sewer pipes and pavement to one unpaved street two blocks away from where I live. *If* everything goes according to the plans, that is.

The usual dance with public projects here goes like this:

1) The government (city, state or federal) opens a procurement with the specifications of the project. Depending on the project, a procurement will be made first to plan the project and a 2nd one to actually build it.

2) Planning and construction companies specialized on public projects will apply for the procurement. The intent is to have companies compete so the government can get a good deal. In reality, the companies collude among themselves so everyone overcharges by a lot, but one of them overcharges less than the others. The winning company either subcontract the losing companies to do the job or the losing companies are outright shell companies secretly owned by the people behind the winning company.

3) When they cannot overcharge too wildly due to a Court of Audit breathing too closely to their necks, they'll resort to moving the project as slowly as possible as to try to force an emergency procurement when it becomes too obvious deadlines will not be met. This gives them a 2nd chance at overcharging and bribing people to look the other way while they do so.

Depending on how many involved people can get bribed, things can get into the ridiculous, like these:
desperdicioxsx84.jpg

zoom-vergonha-nacionaqwxfz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom