• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London 2016? Plans to move Rio Olympics to UK amid concerns over Brazil’s preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I feel bad about Rio financially, spending money and going through all of the bureaucracy to get construction rolling on the venues. Shame that would simply go to waste.

Everything has suggested they did it to themselves. I dont feel bad for them, if anything I feel mad at them for wasting so much money and supporting illegal actively instead of doing it right. Not that I have anything to do with Rio, I just hate seeing crooks get away with so much, so obviously.

Zaph

This would be fucking heroic if pulled off (two years is no time to do anything for a major metropolis), but I'm not sure it can happen.

So many of the venues were funded with multiple investors, getting most of them to agree to stop and/or reverse construction would be a herculean task.

Then again, it would do so much to cement London as the world's greatest city that I think with enough backroom deals, it might actually happen...

avaya

We get 2016, Brazil should have the next 2 world cups after 2014, no one wants to go to fucking Russia and especially not Qatar. Fuck that.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
FIFA needs to do this with 2022 Qatar World Cup as well. Move it out of that hell hole and bring it to England or some other country that already has the infrastructure, and doesn't resort to slave labour. Sucks for Brazil if it comes true though.

We get 2016, Brazil should have the next 2 world cups after 2014, no one wants to go to fucking Russia and especially not Qatar. Fuck that.

FIFA needs to do this with 2022 Qatar World Cup as well. Move it out of that hell hole and bring it to England or some other country that already has the infrastructure, and doesn't resort to slave labour. Sucks for Brazil if it comes true though.

As someone who just got back from fun trips through Qatar's Doha Airport..

PLEASE GOD DON'T LET THEM HAVE THE WORLD CUP, YOU WILL ALL DIE

This is the problem, the Brazilians don't even remember what they're planning for anymore!

Oh no~! *spins in circles*

Though I have to admit, I think the one two punch of the World Cup then the Olympics 2 years later isn't really helping them out..

FIFA will never, ever do anything that amounts to an admission of failure. They'll change the dates, bribe the parties, spend what it takes and devalue the competition, they'll do anything to actually et the World Cup up and running in Qatar.

They should move it to Australia, they were the best choice for 2022.

dalin80

Banned
While I believe it would probably be the better choice due to how well the London games went and there recent nature with the benefits to infrastructure that that brings, it just wouldn't feel right.

Unless the WC is a unmitigated disaster (lol qatar) then two subsequent games in the same place should be avoided.

If it was a double for London though then I would try my best to be more supportive, I was firmly in the 'it's going to be an embarrassing disaster' camp before the games and was genuinely shocked at how wrong I was.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Some kind of what?

they're rallying together and being given capes or something. i'm not sure what the details are but i wouldn't be surprised if the eventual result was 60 million dead.

If it was a double for London though then I would try my best to be more supportive, I was firmly in the 'it's going to be an embarrassing disaster' camp before the games and was genuinely shocked at how wrong I was.

it was truly a black mark on our national character. we'll fix that next time.

Zaph

Makes me laugh thinking about how many people in the London 2012 thread said stuff like "This was okay, but Brazil will obviously be so much better"...

Too many bribes have already changed hands. If the house of Thani gets their World Cup snatched away from them, they will start dropping so many bombs, FIFA will think they've been targeted by the US Drone program.

pulsemyne

It is possible to get it done. Lot's of the venues choose for 2012 have only had marginal changes and can be restored with temporary seating etc. The only major problem is the athletes village but they could probably find another site and it may even help alleviate some of the housing problems in London after the games (just do what they did before). Also the government could probably pay for a lot of games as it wouldn't cost anywhere near as much to stage this time so there wouldn't be the hassle of finding private investors etc.
Media wise it's a no brainer. London 2012 was a big success and the timezone was great for TV companies around the world. It's a very proven venue for another successful games. I also don't think anyone would really begrudge London having the games again as the last one was brilliant. It also helped that I'm in the UK and the BBC did a brilliant job with it. That coverage was god tier.

FIFA will never, ever do anything that amounts to an admission of failure. They'll change the dates, bribe the parties, spend what it takes and devalue the competition, they'll do anything to actually et the World Cup up and running in Qatar.

They should move it to Australia, they were the best choice for 2022.

I'd go if they'd move it!

pulsemyne

While I believe it would probably be the better choice due to how well the London games went and there recent nature with the benefits to infrastructure that that brings, it just wouldn't feel right.

Unless the WC is a unmitigated disaster (lol qatar) then two subsequent games in the same place should be avoided.

They are even further behind than greece was at this stage and their olympic venues were being finished on the day. Brazil has no chance of all the venues being near finished. The state of it shocked the IOC.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
London had to have been one of the biggest overperformers ever. Everyone though it would be a disaster on numerous fronts and it seemed to have turned out great.

terrisus

So, anyone up for remaking this logo with a '6' in place of the '2'?

t8k9qak.jpg

And, that's still a picture of Lisa Simpson performing fellatio

British press? British press.

Lots of similar stories came out before the South African World Cup. The first world paranoia will die down.

Zaph

If we save Brazil's arse on this one, they have to agree to go slap Argentina about if they make any noise about the Fawklands again.

I heard on the radio something like at this point Beijing was about 40% complete, London 60% and currently Brazil are around 10% ready. No chance of it coming to London again, to much has changed in the last 2 years and im not sure why London would spend money on the off chance that Brazil wont be ready.

Fuchsdh

I guess the venues are still there, along with the transport infrastructure, etc. But there's all the other prep work that goes with it, not to mention the cost of staging it...

Yeah if I was the UK I wouldn't be willing to shoulder those massive costs, especially as London doesn't need the Olympics to drive tourism or its international profile. At least from what I know of how the Olympics are set up it seems like it would have more to lose than gain.

I heard on the radio something like at this point Beijing was about 40% complete, London 60% and currently Brazil are around 10% ready. No chance of it coming to London again, to much has changed in the last 2 years and im not sure why London would spend money on the off chance that Brazil wont be ready.

Couple reasons.
1: If they make the decision...it would be right now. So it'd be a 2 years deal, they wouldn't be spending any money until they got the go-ahead.
2: If they do this, they basically get whatever they want from the IOC because they have them over a barrel. When the alternative is no Summer Olympics?

Nicktendo86

Do it. I really regret not getting any tickets and I can practicality see the Olympic stadium from my flat. We could share it with Glasgow!

Fox Mulder

These stories seem to always come out.

if anything, the olympics need to get cheaper and easier to run. It's a brief event every four years that shouldn't require brand new and expensive single use facilities on the tax payer's dime.

Parch

Toronto is hosting the Pan-Am games in 2015.....no one get any ideas lol
Seriously. If they really wanted a new place to host, Toronto isn't such a bad idea. There is logic in having someplace that already hosted though, but London will have to do some scrambling to re-host. Toronto's prep probably wouldn't be significantly different.

It is unfortunate for Rio though. Biting off more than they could chew perhaps? These olympic bids need to stop being so grandiose and expensive and have a decent amount of the infrastructure already in place. London put on a fine show. Every facility does not have to be newly built.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Not surprising if true, Brazil's government barely got the new stadiums for the World Cup done in time(4 of those are still not 100% complete), after expending millions and constant delays on the constructions of such.

Tecl0n

These stories are always brought up when the date approaches. Then again, brazil still has unfinished stadiums for the WC....

I really hope this blows up on the government's face this year, better yet if it happens on the second semester. It would be glorious.

Parch

This "happens" every Olympics. If I recall Vancouver was ready to take over Sochi. These are total non-stories.
Probably the most likely scenario and IOC is just locking up a back up plan with London.

It depends on how bad it is in Rio. Sounds like they're not going to provide what they promised, but are they still capable of holding all events? It's going to be a lesser experience but the IOC has to decide how much of a deficiency they're willing to accept before they have to pull the plug on the whole event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom