• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London 2016? Plans to move Rio Olympics to UK amid concerns over Brazil’s preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine by me. I dont get why we have to give these big events to those countries that need to build so much stuff for it.

Construction contracts, kick-backs.

If you don't need to build anything, there's no way to extract that kick-back.

It would just make too much sense to keep cycling through a set of countries and reusing infrastructure and sites, but then how would the IoC take bribes?

Parch

Same here. Would also be hilarious to see a country host it 2 years in a row.
There are cities that have hosted more than once. The backup to the backup would avoid 2 in a row. Sydney? Beijing? Somewhere in the US? LA?

Avoid all that embarrassment completely and give it to Toronto. I still think that's a legit possibility.

Pacbois

Nuh-uh, Paris lost for hosting 2012, so they deserve to be the back-up for 2016.

(Won't happen, missing some/lot of structures that can't be built in two years :( )

klaushm

It needs to be here.
If the riots were big last year I can't even imagine how they will go in the WC, same goes for the Olympics.

Not that this would change anything here, but some international shaming would be good.

The revelation comes as an International Olympic Committee vice president last month branded Brazil’s planning “the worst I have experienced”.

John Coates, who has closely monitored progress from Rio, told a press conference in Sydney that the city is “in many, many ways” further behind Athens was two years before the 2004 games - the current benchmark for last minute completions.

This is impressively worrisome.

Also #London will save the 2016 Olympics

mantidor

It needs to be here.
If the riots were big last year I can't even imagine how they will go in the WC, same goes for the Olympics.

Not that this would change anything here, but some international shaming would be good.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) it won't happen, many people are already tired of this protests because of how aimless they are. A protest against corruption is completely meaningless, of course anyone sane is against a corruption, these protests are redundant.

I was talking to a carioca friend and he said how for him the #novaitercopa thing is more of a fad than anything, and he finds it completely aimless as well. He made a very interesting comparison, this was like a robber that assaults you with a knife and people get outraged and throw the knife into prison while do little against the robber. The events are just the tools, they are not the problems, if anything they are huge opportunities, the problem is the shitty government.

If there is no Olympics the government will still keep robbing, neither hospitals nor schools will be made anyway. The Olympics are not the issue.

Nuh-uh, Paris lost for hosting 2012, so they deserve to be the back-up for 2016.

(Won't happen, missing some/lot of structures that can't be built in two years :( )

Nuh-uh, Chicago lost for hosting 2016 to Brazil, so they deserve to be the back-up.

(Won't happen for the same reasons.)

Parch

Any bid that was 2nd choice is highly unlikely because no bid win meant no facility construction. It would have to go to somebody capable of hosting with minimal preparation and that means somebody who has already hosted.

Toronto is different because they're pretty much ready to host the Pan Am games.

Goldrusher

london2016jrzla.jpg

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
World Cup is probably not as hard as the olympics. It's a single sport and Brazil has tons of football stadiums already.

You'd think so. I've been reading a lot of stories about how the Brazilian population is being fucked over in favor of the World Cup. Despite how much they love football lots of people see it as a burden meant to entertain others at the expense of them.

Nydius

This is impressively worrisome.

Worrisome but really not all that surprising, given how they've been bungling the preparation for the World Cup over the last few years (edit) and are scrambling to get things finished.

Meanwhile, in similar news today:
Brazil World Cup: Worker killed in electrical accident
Police in Brazil Threaten to Strike During World Cup

With only a month to go they're still trying to finish their stadiums, still trying to finish their infrastructure, and their public safety officials might purposely go on strike... The IOC needs to make a decision ASAP. The Olympics are a bigger beast than the World Cup (at least in terms of what needs to be built to support the various events) and Brazil's handling of the World Cup doesn't inspire any confidence that they'll be ready.

Don't see it happening, although if - unlikely as it is - it did, I reckon London would be a lot more receptive to it. After they won the games for 2012, there was a lot of snark and cynicism (at least what I felt) down the line before the actual games, but after it was done, London would have happily have it back in town the day after the first games were done (again, that's what I felt).

That said, there are a few venue scenarios in the way. Obviously, there's the Olympic Park stuff, but that's not all. Earls Court, which hosted the indoor volleyball in 2012, is planned for demolition at somepoint within the next 18 months (it's hosting a few other events this year, including Eurogamer Expo 2014, though). I can see headaches massively developing.

Parch

after it was done, London would have happily have it back in town the day after the first games were done
Vancouver would love to host the winter olympics again. I believe Sydney would love to host again.

Hosts that continue to use the new facilities as sports facilities usually fair better than hosts that only plan for the one event. Not every olympics is a financial disaster for the hosts.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
is london suggested just because it can handle the capacity? surely it would be more fair for another country to have it?

I assume it's because they know London just had the Olympics and assume they could prepare again quickly. My wonder is why they wouldn't be able to go to another UK city, give more people a chance to see it in their home town.

I assume it's because they know London just had the Olympics and assume they could prepare again quickly. My wonder is why they wouldn't be able to go to another UK city, give more people a chance to see it in their home town.

You can't just give the Olympic games to any old place, the amount of planning that has to go in from booking of hotel rooms, to transport, to ticketing is literally astonishing. It would probably only be possible for London to host if they made the decision now, so there's basically no chance of this happening. It'll be Rio, for good or for ill.

They probably expect faciities to get re-used in london to slash prep-time. Moving it to another uk city takes away any advantage of using the country.

Slough 2016! Let's make it happen!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is london suggested just because it can handle the capacity? surely it would be more fair for another country to have it?

Not many places could ramp up the infrastructure in time. Even London might need tonrejig a few things as they've started redeveloping some areas already.

But we do seem to be pretty good at holding backup olympics. 2012 was only our first proper one really.

Title is pretty misleading.

They arnt planning on moving the olympics, the IOC inquired to London about their facilities, and if they are still able to be used for events.

Parch

The logistics of it is one thing, but nothing happens without the proper sport facilities. Most major cities have gyms and stadiums. You got an olympic size pool with diving facilities? How about a velodrome for the cycling events? Even if a city can handle the traffic and accommodations, nothing happens if they can't host all the olympic sporting events.

Parch

It does make the IOC look stupid for their selection process. They want diversity and have it on different continents, even if it might not be the best bid. They picked Athens because of the historical significance, but that games almost never happened. Now they've got another bid that might not happen.
A little less self-importance and a little more logical practicality is needed.

dc89

I listened to TalkSPORT earlier (for those who don't know its a radio station that you guessed it, talks about sport) and they had the former Olympic correspondent on from the Telegraph, she now works for an Australian paper as the European correspondent.

She said this will not happen for a few reasons and that one of them is that it takes around 7 years for a nation to prepare for the Olympics. She said that London couldnt do it again so soon because stuff like the athletes village is no more and certain venues are no more.

She did say however, with two years to go a city should be looking at being around 60% complete in its preperations. She said that Athens was 40% complete (and this was a concern), London 60% complete and Rio is currently at 10% complete. They have not started the golf course. She said it's more likely that they will look to move certain events out of Rio to another location instead of pulling the plug entirely. She went on to say they will just prioritise getting the logistics right for the athletes and the fans will find it difficult getting around the city etc.

Bear in mind Brazil host the world cup in less than 6 weeks and 4 stadiums are not finished.

lenovox1

I listened to TalkSPORT earlier (for those who don't know its a radio station that you guessed it, talks about sport) and they had the former Olympic correspondent on from the Telegraph, she now works for an Australian paper as the European correspondent.

She said this will not happen for a few reasons and that one of them is that it takes around 7 years for a nation to prepare for the Olympics. She said that London couldnt do it again so soon because stuff like the athletes village is no more and certain venues are no more.

She did say however, with two years to go a city should be looking at being around 60% complete in its preperations. She said that Athens was 40% complete (and this was a concern), London 60% complete and Rio is currently at 10% complete. They have not started the golf course. She said it's more likely that they will look to move certain events out of Rio to another location instead of pulling the plug entirely. She went on to say they will just prioritise getting the logistics right for the athletes and the fans will find it difficult getting around the city etc.

Bear in mind Brazil host the world cup in less than 6 weeks and 4 stadiums are not finished.

WHAT!?! Wow. These are going to end up being more like the South American Summer Olympics and not the Rio Summer Olympics at best, aren't they?

About time they use one venue more than once! Stupid to have it in different location each year.

If you are going to have 4 years between events then having it at the same place two events in a row is an awful idea. Overseas attendance would drop dramatically, a lot of the appeal for travelers is getting a different cultural take on the venue every year.

On a side note, I wonder if the world cup or olympics lack of preparation is going to surpass what happened when India hosted the commonwealth games.

mclem

The logistics of it is one thing, but nothing happens without the proper sport facilities. Most major cities have gyms and stadiums. You got an olympic size pool with diving facilities? How about a velodrome for the cycling events? Even if a city can handle the traffic and accommodations, nothing happens if they can't host all the olympic sporting events.

As a random aside: It'd never happen for both business and ideological reasons, but I've often wondered if Walt Disney World could host the Olympics. They've a ton of space, accomodation, sports facilities, transport infrastructure...

Acorn

As a random aside: It'd never happen for both business and ideological reasons, but I've often wondered if Walt Disney World could host the Olympics. They've a ton of space, accomodation, sports facilities, transport infrastructure...
And undeveloped land the size of Manchester.

Edit Walt Disneyworld Olympics would be awesome, give a suitable reason to go again since I don't yet have kids lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom