• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for a new wallet recommendation for < $350. Help!

otapnam

I have an almost 10 year old 130$ coach wallet that's held up pretty damn well. Looking to upgrade to something nicer sometime as well. Definitely like what some of the classic design houses have but need to find the right balance of brand and style

D i Z

12288_1_1200px.jpg

I can make you one of these for the price of a roll, and a little bit for labor.

reKon

Banned
This is what I'm using except in black.

1487228469_705031.png

It's called ekster, and it has a tracker built into it too.

I really like these. Best thing I've seen in this thread. Not as expensive as I thought it would be too

EDIT: you got me actually considering buying this to replace my minimalist wallet, lol

I use a legend of Zelda fake leather wallet. before that, I had a real leather Zelda wallet my wife got me from someone on Etsy. I had that one for about seven years before it ended up splitting.

KingV

Buy a slimmy wallet, $40, come in a few colors including classic Black with Color lining.

I have one and used it for maybe 6 or 7 years. Stitching is starting to fall apart now, but that's after a long time

20% off on a lot of wallets at Coach right now

http://www.coach.com/shop/men-wallets?viewAll=true

some pretty nice options here.

OP, check out Secrid's slimwallet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T5X57jr5Wg

https://usa.secrid.com/collection/slimwallet

Been crawling through a ton of wallet reviews on youtube/google lately myself and this one comes highly rated.

Runs about $100

Most reviewers test to prefer the Secrid over the Ekster mentioned above because it handles cash better than the strap.

the Dutch Wiskey is speaking to me. tyvm! will add to my list.

Lunaray

I see a lot of comments about cheap wallets breaking. I've never had a wallet that costs above $30 break on me before. However, I do change wallets every few years though because I get paranoid that they start to, well, smell. I live in a pretty hot climate too. Not sure I'll ever get an expensive wallet because of that.

Alszem

I have the Hide and Seek from Bellroy. I love it so much that I have the regular and the RFID models. The RFID one is a bit stiffer but I got used to it. There's more than enough storage space and a "secret compartment" hidden by a flap.

I simply love the design.

Commodore

What do you do with change?

I don't know about you but I've never carried change in my wallet. Usually, goes in my pocket/bag and then it goes in piggy bank at home till I end up with a lot of it and then deposit at the bank. So a pocket for change isn't a bigger factor. Think most tend to not care about change and wallets from what I've seen with reviewers thoughts as well

OP you James Bond or somethin? $350 budget? A special compartment to hide a few hundred dollar bills at a time? Child please...

I got a leather handmade Italian custom wallet by an old leather shop owner that cost $50 and you'd be hard pressed to find something of better quality. The name brand gonna add 1000% to the price. And I find $50 a lot to spend on a wallet.

Prez

I don't know about you but I've never carried change in my wallet. Usually, goes in my pocket/bag and then it goes in piggy bank at home till I end up with a lot of it and then deposit at the bank. So a pocket for change isn't a bigger factor. Think most tend to not care about change and wallets from what I've seen with reviewers thoughts as well

I get that if you live in the US with $1 bills but in Europe the smallest bill is €5 so you always end up with a lot of change.

No one is talking about OP's need to carry emergency cash in the form of several $100 bills.

Is it really that unusual? I usually keep 2 $100 in my wallet and $50 in my glove box as stash money. Rarely touched but worth it for peace of mind in case I ever do need to use it.

Helps whenever there are power and/or internet outages too.

A pair of eyes? Maybe not.

THAT particular pair of eyes? Well, it's pretty self evident.

I hear you. It wasn't a serious consideration, but I like how it caught my eye. Sorry if that bothers you.

Anyway, Paul Smith has some REALLY nice designs here.

https://www.paulsmith.com/uk/mens/accessories/wallets

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073MLZ70/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_92zVzbZX4DZKY
I've had this wallet for over three years so far and the only wear and tear on it is that the red color on the logo has worn off and is solid silver now.

I don't know why you'd want to spend $350 on a wallet. There's no way there's that much of a quality jump from something in the $50-100 range.

I'm trying SUPER hard to avoid plastic license windows. I have one with that "feature" right now and when that part goes bad or starts looking bad, you have to replace the wallet. That part is what ages the fastest.

Is it really that unusual? I usually keep 2 $100 in my wallet and $50 in my glove box as stash money. Rarely touched but worth it for peace of mind in case I ever do need to use it.

Helps whenever there are power and/or internet outages too.

It's not unusual at all. It's for extremely rare occasions when I need to use cash. During the Hurricane we needed to have cash on hand for when card processors were offline or when businesses simply demanded cash. Everyone should carry at least some cash on them. A couple of hundred dollar bills minimizes space and maximizes your ability to get things in emergencies.

I'd certainly rather have a few $100 bills than a stack of 20's that add 2/3 of an inch to my wallet's size.

entremet

You assume that the majority people reacting to this thread are just now discovering $350 wallets exist.

There is an overpriced version of everything.

Seems just like a budget guideline for the OP. Kinda like when you go buy a suit. I don't think he wants a 350 dollar wallet or bust.

I have this kind of wallet, it's way better, you can't lose it and nobody can stole it from you. I payed mine like 5 $, 5 years ago, still kicking.

cao-pochette-voyage-tour-de-cou.jpg

I have this kind of wallet, it's way better, you can't lose it and nobody can stole it from you. I payed mine like 5 $, 5 years ago, still kicking.

cao-pochette-voyage-tour-de-cou.jpg
Bruh. Ain't no one got time for this. This shit is something you see hawaiian shirt wearing tourists wear. No respectable man gonna show up on a date wearing this around their neck. Pullin out some prepaid mastercard and shit. Have some self respect! &#128374;

I hear you. It wasn't a serious consideration, but I like how it caught my eye. Sorry if that bothers you.

Anyway, Paul Smith has some REALLY nice designs here.

https://www.paulsmith.com/uk/mens/accessories/wallets

I'm trying SUPER hard to avoid plastic license windows. I have one with that "feature" right now and when that part goes bad or starts looking bad, you have to replace the wallet. That part is what ages the fastest.
I'm not exaggerating when I say there is zero wear and tear on this thing, even on the plastic window.

If you're against how it looks in general I understand, but if you're really only worried about it wearing out I don't think it would be a concern with that wallet. If it started looking old I'd just buy a new one, they're only $15.

OP you may want to increase your budget to at least $500 if you want something halfway decent. Otherwise you're in TJ Maxx territory.

Fitts

$350 wallet? Pft... if you wanna impress the checkout girl at the grocery store you need one of these, my dude:

rock18f-2-web.jpg

I decided to look in my wallet and I found a debit card that expired a year ago, a bunch of cardboard loyalty cards from local restaurants, about $6 in quarters from when I went to Vegas in January and a couple of old receipts. I always carry cash in my jeans pockets and my cards are always in my inside jacket pocket. Ive been carrying a wallet in my back pocket for the past 9 months for no reason other than my ass feels weird without it.

Learn from me Gaf. Liberate yourselves, put stuff in your pockets.

gimic26

Neo Member
Grabbed myself a Bellroy about a year ago and it's the best wallet I've ever owned. $90 is more than I usually spend for a wallet but it's been worth it. It's very slim but holds plenty of cards and cash.

Mau5

Spending a little more is worth it. A genuine leather wallet (like the ones from Saddleback) will cost at least $50-$100, but will last pretty much forever.

That $20 wallet is going to fall apart.

Isn't 'genuine leather' the worst type of leather there is?

Top Bottom