• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for some Android (cell not tablet, if possible) RPG suggestions

bati

I've been playing The Quest recently during my stay at the hospital and I'm actually really enjoying it, but it does have some rough edges to it. The number one thing I like it about is how comfortable it is to play on the phone (portrait mode) and I'd love to know if there are any other games like it available that are either made for phones or are at least comfortable to play on them - as opposed to games like Shadowrun, Baldur's Gate or Planescape, which seem better suited for tablets. I've done some googling and came across some interesting suggestions (7 mages for example) but reviews I've seen for these games often neglect to mention if the games are a good fit for a phone or not. The game doesn't have to be 1st person, or even strictly an RPG, but some rpg elements would be great.

e0n

QuestLord is similar. Any turn-based game such as Pixel Dungeon or Gurk works well. If you are okay with virtual joystick controls, Wayward Souls, 9th Dawn 2, or Solomon's Keep are fun.

bati

Ramble Planet is pretty simple but the art style and audio are nice.

Looks a little basic :|.

QuestLord is similar. Any turn-based game such as Pixel Dungeon or Gurk works well. If you are okay with virtual joystick controls, Wayward Souls, 9th Dawn 2, or Solomon's Keep are fun.

I have Pixel Dungeon installed and will give it a shot in the near future. I'm fine with virtual joystick (played some Exiled Kingdoms demo), but I'd rather play something that's turn based, the phone I have now has some protective screen that doesn't register the taps in the lower right corner that well so I often have to correct.

Forgot to mention - I also played Cyber Knights which has an interesting premise but I can't get past the tutorial because I always hit a bug at the same point.

thecrunked

Try you must build a boat or 10000000. They are kinda like bejeweled mixed with an endless runner. you need to match certain types of tiles for different affects and also level up your character between runs. It def keeps me on the toilet about 5-20 minutes longer than I should.

Last edited:
I have a Galaxy S7.
KOTOR works great.
Eternium is a surprisingly good Diablo clone. I'm playing it with a ranged dude. It reminds me of the Van Helsing series. You control skills with gestures (draw a V, an O etc) and combined with the sound design and explosions it's HUGELY satisfying.
XCOM has RPG elements, right? It's a very good port. Comes with the expansion, I think the only difference between it and the PC version is that it has fewer maps.

Roni

Gold Member
I've been playing The Quest recently during my stay at the hospital and I'm actually really enjoying it, but it does have some rough edges to it. The number one thing I like it about is how comfortable it is to play on the phone (portrait mode) and I'd love to know if there are any other games like it available that are either made for phones or are at least comfortable to play on them - as opposed to games like Shadowrun, Baldur's Gate or Planescape, which seem better suited for tablets. I've done some googling and came across some interesting suggestions (7 mages for example) but reviews I've seen for these games often neglect to mention if the games are a good fit for a phone or not. The game doesn't have to be 1st person, or even strictly an RPG, but some rpg elements would be great.

I don't know about strategy games, but if you're willing to share your store email, I can hook you up with the closed alpha for a mobile action game you can play in portrait mode too. I don't know, but it seems like good control ergonomics are your thing.

Last edited:

bati

Try you must build a boat or 10000000. They are kinda like bejeweled mixed with an endless runner. you need to match certain types of tiles for different affects and also level up your character between runs. It def keeps me on the toilet about 5-20 minutes longer than I should.

Interesting concept, I'll give them a try, thanks.

I have a Galaxy S7.
KOTOR works great.
Eternium is a surprisingly good Diablo clone. I'm playing it with a ranged dude. It reminds me of the Van Helsing series. You control skills with gestures (draw a V, an O etc) and combined with the sound design and explosions it's HUGELY satisfying.
XCOM has RPG elements, right? It's a very good port. Comes with the expansion, I think the only difference between it and the PC version is that it has fewer maps.

I've played/am playing Eternium! It's pretty fun but once I started the Quest it ended up dominating my play time on the mobile. I'm typically a (relatively hardcore) PC rpg player so playing a full fledged oldschool rpg was more appealing than a hack&slash game. Xcom seems like it would be great on tablets but frustrating on phones, mostly due to screen size.

Titan Quest, a pc port game. I really like the game on PC. You can try this :D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dotemu.titanquest&hl=en

I've had a look at the screens and it seems like another one of those games that are great on the tablet but not so great on the cell :(. Fwiw, I've played the game about a decade ago on the PC so I know what it's about ;).

I don't know, but it seems like good control ergonomics are your thing.

Definitely! I appreciate the offer for the alpha but I'm looking for a game with slower pace. If there are any gameplay videos available then by all means link them, the part you wrote about ergonomics got me curious.

Last edited:

wenaldy

There are Bard Tales, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 on playstore.

Edit: Nvm if you're looking for comfortable UI and controls.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Definitely! I appreciate the offer for the alpha but I'm looking for a game with slower pace. If there are any gameplay videos available then by all means link them, the part you wrote about ergonomics got me curious.

If playback problems appear, make sure you're watching in HD.

The game features a portrait view and it's designed to be played with just one hand.

Last edited:

bati

Heroes III if it counts as RPG (cough).

PS
King's Bounty is... free? Yikes.

Uh oh. I can already feel the hours melting away. I played the first two games on the PC and loved both, very underrated strategy rpgs with incredible polish. Fingers crossed that mobile version is as well.

@ Roni Roni Thanks, that does look interesting (and props to devs for having phones in mind) but I'll wait until it's out of alpha/beta before trying it.

Top Bottom