• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking to expand my beer horizons

lem0n

I stock beer for a living and have recently been filling Total Wine, and they have every single kind of beer imaginable out there. Hundreds of kinds, it's like a beer library. This has made me want to experiment with different types of beer but I honestly don't know where to start. I'm not much of a drinker so I really only stick to a couple kinds, and they're local brews. A standard Scottish-style Ale, a peach ale, and their IPA. Should I just get one of each kind and start there? Some brands to avoid? Some to definitely try out? I've got my eye on Elysian Space Dust IPA also their Dayglow IPA. I also want to try something Asian like Kirin Ichiban.

Suggestions? I'm open to pretty much anything. No Bud or Coors though, I definitely know what those taste like. Post your favorites!

weekev

Banned
A good Scottish craft beer that has exploded onto the scene recently is Brewdog. Dead pony club in particular is lovely and unique if you haven't sampled it yet.

lem0n

A good Scottish craft beer that has exploded onto the scene recently is Brewdog. Dead pony club in particular is lovely and unique if you haven't sampled it yet.

I'll keep my eye out for it. I like supporting new brands, or at least new to market.

Belgian lambics are pretty much antithesis to regular beer, but really nice on a warm day.

I had a sip of one of those a while back, it was really good. I'll add it to my list. They come in cool bottles too lol

Jarate

Banned
What state are you in? Microbreweries generally provide the "good beer" but those are generally location based

pablito

If you have local craft breweries, going there and getting flights is always fun. Otherwise just start picking stuff. When you find something you like, try to figure out what you like about it. Get similar stuff, enjoy.

As for what to avoid? Breweries owned by Ab Inbev. Flavor wise they own some good stuff, so it's mainly an ethics thing.

lem0n

What state are you in? Microbreweries generally provide the "good beer" but those are generally location based

I'm in Arizona, we have quite a few breweries around here, it's so nice!

If you have local craft breweries, going there and getting flights is always fun. Otherwise just start picking stuff. When you find something you like, try to figure out what you like about it. Get similar stuff, enjoy.

As for what to avoid? Breweries owned by Ab Inbev. Flavor wise they own some good stuff, so it's mainly an ethics thing.

Hey hey what's wrong with AB? They pay my bills :p

I do hit up the local breweries though, quite a bit. Flights are my favorite.

Anything from New Belgium and Dogfish Head. TW should stock em and you will have fun finding your favorite session beer.

Fat Tire is the best, despite what anyone tells you

Anything from New Belgium and Dogfish Head. TW should stock em and you will have fun finding your favorite session beer.

New Belgium is my current favorite staple as someone who only started branching out with beer recently. Fat Tire is arguably my favorite too. Definitely my favorite that is available in my local supermarkets year-round.

paskowitz

Arguably over hyped, but also arguably one of the best beers out there.

Russian+River+Pliny+the+Elder.JPG

*American Double / Imperial IPA

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I was just at a bar with a coworker and they got me a sour, was the first time I had one and it was the best beer I ever tasted. For contrast, I'm not a fan of IPAs or stouts. I'm looking for a good sour I can by in the stores.

bronson

Tried this in Edinburgh and loved it. Brewdog has a really great selection.

Elysian is ok. Dogfish 90 minute IPA is very good, but pricy.

Since you're already familiar with Total Wine, make your own 6 pack and try a variety of IPAs.

Figgles

I was just at a bar with a coworker and they got me a sour, was the first time I had one and it was the best beer I ever tasted. For contrast, I'm not a fan of IPAs or stouts. I'm looking for a good sour I can by in the stores.

Duchesse de Bourgogne is a bit pricey, but worth it.

Hutty211

If you're anywhere near east coast USA, Victory puts out Sour Monkey....thats the only sour I've seen sold in stores. That style is blowing up though, will be everywhere soon.

afroguy10

I'm from Scotland and we have a great beer heritage.

One of the most famous companies we have to offer the now is Brewdog. They offer a wide variety of beers ranging from Punk IPA a classic IPA, Dead Pony Club an American style hoppy pale ale or 5AM Saint a sweet, bitter ale.

Harviestoun Brewery is another great one and one of my local breweries, Schiehallion is my favourite beer at the moment, a really cracking, refreshing lager. Bitter and Twisted is another amazing one they do.

Williams Brothers is another amazing Brewery and again pretty local, they offer Joker IPA a classic hoppy pale ale, Caeser Augustus a lager IPA hybrid, Pavlovs Dog, a really nice red ale and Birds and the Bees a nice summery golden ale.

I also really like Belhaven Best, you just can't beat a pint of heavy like your dad would drink!

For something a bit more international you can't go wrong with Delerium Tremens a really nice Belgian beer that comes in a strange bottle with an odd brightly coloured label.

Every New Belgium I've ever tried has been solid but not amazing. Fat Tire is good and occasionally finds itself in my fridge, but nothing they've done has been a real hit for me

I stock beer for a living and have recently been filling Total Wine, and they have every single kind of beer imaginable out there. Hundreds of kinds, it's like a beer library. This has made me want to experiment with different types of beer but I honestly don't know where to start. I'm not much of a drinker so I really only stick to a couple kinds, and they're local brews. A standard Scottish-style Ale, a peach ale, and their IPA. Should I just get one of each kind and start there? Some brands to avoid? Some to definitely try out? I've got my eye on Elysian Space Dust IPA also their Dayglow IPA. I also want to try something Asian like Kirin Ichiban.

Suggestions? I'm open to pretty much anything. No Bud or Coors though, I definitely know what those taste like. Post your favorites!

I see you are in Arizona. Go check out Sunup during the day and see if Uwe is around he knows his shit and is a good source of information. Check out Wren house as well on 24th street and between Sunup and Wren is Helton on Indian School.

Those three places will get you started on what you like and suggest beers outside of what they make as they themselves are hardcore enthusiasts. General tasting and seeing what is out there Papago is the place to hit up on Scottsdale road as they keep a beer selection on bottle and draft that is hard to beat locally.

If you are ever in the mood to actually go and drink with someone locally hit me up with a PM.

Edit: Santan is an excellent place but I am boycotting them a little as a few of us in the IT industry here in Phoenix lived there for years and they didn't like the reputation of "Those damn drunk developers" working out of their location. I can't blame them really but we did bring in the business.

Edit 2: I suggested these places as the actual people that brew the beer are really into the industry and will point you in the right direction with other beers from all over the US and world.

lem0n

I see you are in Arizona. Go check out Sunup during the day and see if Uwe is around he knows his shit and is a good source of information. Check out Wren house as well on 24th street and between Sunup and Wren is Helton on Indian School.

Those three places will get you started on what you like and suggest beers outside of what they make as they themselves are hardcore enthusiasts. General tasting and seeing what is out there Papago is the place to hit up on Scottsdale road as they keep a beer selection on bottle and draft that is hard to beat locally.

If you are ever in the mood to actually go and drink with someone locally hit me up with a PM.

Edit: Santan is an excellent place but I am boycotting them a little as a few of us in the IT industry here in Phoenix lived there for years and they didn't like the reputation of "Those damn drunk developers" working out of their location. I can't blame them really but we did bring in the business.
Appreciate the offer dude! Where in the valley are you? We should post in AZ-GAF and get a little GAF get-together going!

Also, I will mention those places to my GF, she may have been before. San Tan is the one local place I haven't been yet, actually. Heard many good things. I just like Four Peaks so much :)

It's a ridiculously hyped beer, so you're better off calling your Total Wine to see when they get shipments. It's very good, but the hype for some of RR's stuff is insane.

Haha, gotta be hyped for a reason! I hope anyways! I'll call my TW and see what they say. That and any Dogfish Head are officially on my radar now.

Skatterd

Drink some sours, maybe New Belgium since they're readily available. Probably way different from a lot of beers you've tried.

Hutty211

I'm in Philly so thank you, I'll pick up some on the way home from work.

Oh nice, I'm just up in Bucks County, if you really like sours you need to make a trip to Free Will in Perkasie, they are the biggest sour producer on the east coast and every month or so they have "Sour Sunday" where they have ~10 different sours on tap, it's awesome.

Also, fair warning, Sour Monkey is ~10% abv, be ready to party (or take a nap).

Wood Man

I'm not a big IPA guy so I can't help you there. But here's a spectrum of beers I buy on occasion. Hope it helps a little.

Narragansett - My favorite cheap beer. I use it for cooking too.
Old Rasputin - This might be an acquired taste. It's a very dark and bold imperial stout. I love it for cold night
St. Bernardus or Chimay - Pricey Belgium beer if you want to splurge. Nice to have every now n' then
Spaten - Just good ol' Germain beer.
Old Speckled Hen - Good ol' beer from the Brits. I prefer the tall boy can rather than the bottles.
Smoked Beer (Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock) - For the real adventurous. Tastes exactly as it sounds. Kinda weird at first but I like it every now n' then.
New Belgium - Fat Tire is always a good choice but buy one of their variety packs for fun.

bebop242

I'm not a big IPA guy so I can't help you there. But here's a spectrum of beers I buy on occasion. Hope it helps a little.

Narragansett - My favorite cheap beer. I use it for cooking too.
Old Rasputin - This might be an acquired taste. It's a very dark and bold imperial stout. I love it for cold night
St. Bernardus or Chimay - Pricey Belgium beer if you want to splurge. Nice to have every now n' then
Spaten - Just good ol' Germain beer.
Old Speckled Hen - Good ol' beer from the Brits. I prefer the tall boy can rather than the bottles.
Smoked Beer (Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock) - For the real adventurous. Tastes exactly as it sounds. Kinda weird at first but I like it every now n' then.
New Belgium - Fat Tire is always a good choice but buy one of their variety packs for fun.

Thanks for this. I don't care for IPAs and these look right up my alley.

afroguy10

Oh god, I almost forgot a couple more.

West Brewery, based in Glasgow,they brew their beers based on the German purity laws. They have a few really nice beers but St Mungos is a really nice lager.

Theres also Drygate Brewery also based in Glasgow. They've got a wealth of good beers, Gladeye IPA, a sweet, citrusy IPA. Bearface Lager, a nice refreshing citrusy lager.

It's a ridiculously hyped beer, so you're better off calling your Total Wine to see when they get shipments. It's very good, but the hype for some of RR's stuff is insane.

I agree with this. If you're a huge IPA fan, the double/ imperial style is phenomenal. They're yuuuuuuuge, tho.

My wife loves that style, she's been hooked on Vodoo Ranger but, their imperial is too big for me to enjoy a whole one. Kinda like Dogfish Head's 120 minute. Great taste, but too much alcohol for me.

I'm a fan of farmhouse ale, myself. I love the funky yeasts, and they're a lot cleaner of a beer to me. Unfiltered Wit is another great style for hot climates.

Bsigg12

Maharaja from Avery is a great double IPA.

Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide is one of my favorite imperial stouts.

Bitches Brew from Dogfish Head is up there as one of my favorite of all times as well.

Toxi

Banned
Whenever you do a flight at a local brewery, I highly recommend using that as an opportunity to try stuff outside your comfort zone. It's incredible how many crazy good beers I've experienced that I wasn't expecting to love.

Station 26 Brewing here in Denver has an excellent Citra IPA. Left Hand Brewery in Longmont has a delicious sweet Milk Stout Nitro. But at the end of the day, the best beer you'll probably taste in Arizona is brewed in Arizona.

tokkun

I think you are better off blindly trying stuff rather than going off of lists of recommendations or ratings websites.

For one thing, it is good to let your own taste develop naturally, which may be hard to do if you go into it with preconceived notions of what is good and what isn't based on other people's tastes.

For another, people's tastes evolve over time. People who become enthusiasts / snobs gravitate more toward the more extreme beers like Imperials, Barleywine, DIPAs, Belgian Quads, or Sours - so these are the ones that get hyped the most. But this happens because their palettes have adapted to drinking a lot of beer, so they need something with stronger flavor; that's not necessarily what you want to recommend to someone who drinks more causally.

Belgian style Dubble, Tripples, and Quads are fairly distinct from the IPA and Pilners you see everywhere. In terms of ones you'll find where you're at the St.Bernardus recommendation above me is good. Ommegang's Three Philosophers and Abbey Ale are good choices as well. I don't know if it gets out there but Victory's Golden Monkey is also very good. New Belgium's versions of this style are generally not great.

Top Bottom