• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking to expand my beer horizons

Toxi

Banned
I think you are better off blindly trying stuff rather than going off of lists of recommendations or ratings websites.

For one thing, it is good to let your own taste develop naturally, which may be hard to do if you go into it with preconceived notions of what is good and what isn't based on other people's tastes.

For another, people's tastes evolve over time. People who become enthusiasts / snobs gravitate more toward the more extreme beers like Imperials, Barleywine, DIPAs, Belgian Quads, or Sours - so these are the ones that get hyped the most. But this happens because their palettes have adapted to drinking a lot of beer, so they need something with stronger flavor; that's not necessarily what you want to recommend to someone who drinks more causally.
This is a good post. Another reason to go in blind is that the actual process of trying new beers is itself enjoyable. There's a wonderful sense of discovery when you visit a local brewery and find something new you love.

I will always hit up the make-your-own-sixers and try new things - good way to figure out styles you prefer! One of our local places with rotating taps also does a good generous sample size and I go there once or twice a month. I end up discovering all sorts of things that surprise me.

I am not usually into IPAs, but this seasonal has been my favorite this summer.

ronco2000

Arguably over hyped, but also arguably one of the best beers out there.

Russian+River+Pliny+the+Elder.JPG

*American Double / Imperial IPA

I'll drink that everyday if I'm a millionaire. $6 a bottle!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just go buy a few sampler packs. They're a great and cheap way to try some new things.

Also, Space Dust Elysian is one of my favorite beers, so I say 100% yes on that one! ;)

Afrodium

Banned
I've recently discovered that New England IPAs are absolutely delicious. I'm not sure what breweries local Arizona have brews in this style, if any, but I've noticed more and more craft breweries in NE offering NE IPAs and I never pass them up.

lem0n

I've recently discovered that New England IPAs are absolutely delicious. I'm not sure what breweries local Arizona have brews in this style, if any, but I've noticed more and more craft breweries in NE offering NE IPAs and I never pass them up.

I'm heading home to MA in October to visit my Dad and do a bit of a food tour with my GF. What places would you suggest??

paskowitz

If I see this one I'll grab it.

Been meaning to try this one for a little while, actually. It's a hot seller at stores that move more craft than domestic, that's for sure.

It's really hard to find outside of CA and PA. There is actually a ridiculous second hand market for the beer elsewhere. If you are in Cali (and don't live there), get a couple of bottles and bring them back with you. No joke, you may be able to make a couple hundred dollars.

It's an 8% that tastes like a 4 or 5% (obviously that is dangerous since it tastes so good). No major or complex flavors, everything is super refined, balanced and satisfying. There is legitimately nothing "bad" about it. Other beers may "wow" you more, but at some point you will get tired of them for one reason or another. You could drink this beer everyday for eternity and probably not get tired of it.

I'll drink that everyday if I'm a millionaire. $6 a bottle!

That is a bit higher than I've seen ($4-5 per bottle). Nothing compared to second hand market though (I've seen >$50 per bottle). Still, at $6 it is still worth every penny.

Top Bottom