• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking to get back into Ace Combat.. where should I re-start?

MegaTen

Banned
I haven't played a game in the series since Ace Combat 2. I was playing it the other day and I was reminded of how much I liked it. I haven't followed the series at all after playing the first two games, but I do know that there have been quite a few sequels. I briefly tried a demo of Ace Combat 3 years ago, but didn't play long enough to make any judgement.

Anyway, if you're a fan of the series, what games should I check out first? Are there any installments that are just not good(compared to the rest of the series) and should just be avoided?

I just finished Ace Combat 4 about a month ago, I thought it was really fun with a good variety of missions. I would start there.

MegaTen said:
I haven't played a game in the series since Ace Combat 2. I was playing it the other day and I was reminded of how much I liked it. I haven't followed the series at all after playing the first two games, but I do know that there have been quite a few sequels. I briefly tried a demo of Ace Combat 3 years ago, but didn't play long enough to make any judgement.

Anyway, if you're a fan of the series, what games should I check out first? Are there any installments that are just not good(compared to the rest of the series) and should just be avoided?

Well, depends on what you like. In a few minutes Doombringer is probably just going to show up as usual and call everything but AC4 shit.

Basically:

AC4: arcade style, not much story, but still fun, if you don't care for chatter and just want to fly the plane, this is a good one. Compatible with the flightstick2.

AC5: very strong story element, my GOTY for 2004. some people don't like the talking with wingmen element or the extra amount of story filtered through the missions. You can buy a version of this with the Flightstick2, which I personally think makes the game a hell of a lot better. They go for around ~100 on ebay? Either way I'd start with this, but if you're used to a more barebones arcade experience AC4 may be the way to go.

AC0: dialed back a bit from AC5, though wing commands are still in. Music is possibly even better than AC5, but it still feels like an expansion. Compatible with the flightstick2.

ACX: plays surprisingly well given its on the PSP. No wing commands, but the part collection is cool and there are a hell of a lot of planes to buy.

ram

Crazymoogle said:
Well, depends on what you like. In a few minutes Doombringer is probably just going to show up as usual and call everything but AC4 shit.

Basically:

AC4: arcade style, not much story, but still fun, if you don't care for chatter and just want to fly the plane, this is a good one. Compatible with the flightstick2.

AC5: very strong story element, my GOTY for 2004. some people don't like the talking with wingmen element or the extra amount of story filtered through the missions. You can buy a version of this with the Flightstick2, which I personally think makes the game a hell of a lot better. They go for around ~100 on ebay? Either way I'd start with this, but if you're used to a more barebones arcade experience AC4 may be the way to go.

AC0: dialed back a bit from AC5, though wing commands are still in. Music is possibly even better than AC5, but it still feels like an expansion. Compatible with the flightstick2.

ACX: plays surprisingly well given its on the PSP. No wing commands, but the part collection is cool and there are a hell of a lot of planes to buy.

i`ll completly agree, but i would start with ace combat 3 (japan version) -> to date, it is the best ace combat game, with multiple branching paths, rich story...

Carlisle

I guess I can help since I didn't even start playing AC until 3.

3 was bad, I never finished it.

I'll agree with the consensus here that AC4 is by far the best one in the series. The direction and screenplay and the way the story is conveyed is really deep and awesome. The music is superb, gameplay is thrilling, just the whole atmosphere of the game is constructed very well.

It's not just the best AC, imo, but it also ranks in my top 5 favorite games of all time.

Dracos

Just finished 5 and Zero last week. Start with 4 and 5. Zero is a bit weak. All can be had on the cheap however.

ram

Crazymoogle said:
yeah. :( AC3-US am hackjob total, as it were. Apparently somebody hit it with a papercutter.

its really annoying, they did cut the whole story and branching paths out of the game. its even on only one cd, instead on two like the j-version.

S. L.

Crazymoogle said:

Basically:

listen to this crazy moogle

Top Bottom