• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like Assassin’s Creed Red’s protagonist is an African Samurai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
He was in Nioh also.

Nankatsu

- Oh my god, Assassin's Creed in Japan. Finally I can be a Japanese ninja or samurai.

Ubisoft: here's the only black samurai we can find specially just for you.

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Last edited:
This was an incredibly obvious choice, they just googled "most famous non-Japanese samurai that isn't white" and picked the first hit.

He was also a dedicated retainer of Nobunaga so I can't wait for them to totally rewrite everything and be like "but he actually hated him and was secretly a good guy."

Not that Nobunaga was necessarily a bad guy I guess, he just usually isn't depicted very positively.

Pelta88

The ethnicity of the main protagonist in any game has never been an issue for me. But please Ubisoft, just make a good Assassin's Creed game. I loved 1 and 2. And AC Blag Fag was a gem but all the other instalments have been busy work filler. Let's get back to what made AC great.

Protag could be Thanos purple and I wouldn't care as long as the actual game is good.

Last edited:

Red5

He did exist, upon thousands and thousands of native samurais. Do I need to tell you why they choose this person as an MC?

Probably to explain how the Templar Vs Assassin's stuff, Apple of Eden etc... reached Japan, through western missionaries and trade. Tho I might be wrong, last AC game I finished was Unity and I don't remember half the lore.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Let's call it forced diversity then. To choose this particular historical character out of thousands of years of Japanese history is a very deliberate choice.
They have publicly said many times they didn't want to make a AC Japan game in the past because it's been done before so many times. Since they said that, we got Nioh, GoT and Rise of the Ronin coming too.

Maybe they just found a cool story in history they wanted to make? It could be potentially fascinating. Would be extra cool if there's a prologue where he starts in Africa, or maybe even let you sail between both places.

There is literally no reason to be upset about this. It's not race swapping a character. It's a historical figure. The reasons left to be pissed about this aren't very flattering.

StueyDuck

Cool. Before someone calls this woke or something, he did exist and served with Oda Nobunaga:

Here's the thing. While that is true and is absolutely a real person, you are making an assassins creed game in the era and area that fans have been wanting for a long time...

I'd imagine there would be tons of history of Japanese stories to be told. If this is true and they did pick the one black samurai story to tell and snubbing all of Japanese history then it is a little woke 🤷‍♂️. I'm sure there was an African viking at some point too but they didn't choose them for valhalla

I'll reserve judgement for the final product and seeing if they give a good reason for choosing them for the main character. But it's pretty obvious why they would pick that character.

Last edited:
Probably to explain how the Templar Vs Assassin's stuff, Apple of Eden etc... reached Japan, through western missionaries and trade. Tho I might be wrong, last AC game I finished was Unity and I don't remember half the lore.
This would actually be a good person to do that with, though I don't know how he could be spun into being a "good" guy. Do the more recent AC games have you playing as the Templars at all? There would be a ton of potential if they let the main character be the "bad" guy and have the story play out where you corrupted Nobunaga or something like that to conquer Japan.

Let's call it forced diversity then. To choose this particular historical character out of thousands of years of Japanese history is a very deliberate choice.
So, out of the thousands of japanese samurai games that exists, how many of them feature a playable yasuke? 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom