• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like Sudoku Gridmaster is a bit of a disappointment.

Mrbob

http://ds.ign.com/articles/713/713603p1.html

Closing Comments
For a game dedicated to the game of Sudoku, it just seems lacking sitting next to a game that offers a better version as a secondary mode. Sudoku Gridmaster can't even figure a creative way of using the second screen, other than duplicating the same exact grid that's interactive on the touch screen. And I'll freely admit that I'd much rather play Sudoku in the DS vertical "book mode" introduced in Brain Age. I may be spoiled, but Sudoku Gridmaster's is, so far, the weakest entry in Nintendo's much-touted Touch Generations line. If all you want is Sudoku challenges and nothing more, though, that's what you'll get in this cart.

Sounds like the actual game is handled better in Brain Age. I may just get that instead now.

5.5 Presentation
Nintendo's first dedicated Sudoku game for DS, but the version included with Brain Age is surprisingly superior.
7.0 Graphics
Sleeker, modern appearance for the overall look of the game. Functional more than mindblowing.
6.5 Sound
Mellow music fits the game and doesn't get too repetitive. But there's no way to turn it off and leave the sound effects on.
7.0 Gameplay
Functional, fun and challenging. Just not as functional as the freebie in Brain Age.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
400 puzzles is a lot when you consider that each one takes a good dozen plus minutes to finish.
Passable OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Solid, but not spectacular.

Sho Nuff

Banned
OH NO MY HOPES SHATTERED

I would rather sit by myself in an empty white room than play ****ing Sudoku

SUDOKU IS WHY WE HAVE COMPUTERS IN THE FIRST PLACE

Mrbob

Sho Nuff said:
OH NO MY HOPES SHATTERED

I would rather sit by myself in an empty white room than play ****ing Sudoku

SUDOKU IS WHY WE HAVE COMPUTERS IN THE FIRST PLACE

Admit you will be crying yourself to sleep tonight over this game getting panned.

ADMIT IT.

Emotions

Kevtones said:
Good thing PSP doesn't have it, otherwise, they'd start selling systems and competing with Nintendo!

Go Sudoku says HI.
Go_Sudoku.jpg

:p

Anyways were people expecting an 8 or a 9 from a Sudoku game? i think the review is fine for what it is, i don't know why the trolling tone of the topic name.
I'll be getting it because i like Sudoku games. :D

Mrbob

You know you don't have to defend everything DS Lite related. Calling a game a disappointment is not trolling.

You won anyway, as I caved in and bought a DS Lite.

Emotions

Mrbob said:
You know you don't have to defend everything DS Lite related. Calling a game a disappointment is not trolling.

You won anyway, as I caved in and bought a DS Lite.

:lol I was kidding. Good thing you got a DS Lite though, i support that. :D
Anyways, Sudoku Gridmaster has more Sudoku puzzles than Brain Age, get that if you like Sudoku.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Thought so, they shoud've made it so that you could play it on the DS side-ways as well.

Jiggy

Arr, might not get it after all due to the awkwardness being described with the controls.
I'll wait for more than one review, though.

Aaron

Dr. Sudoku is actually pretty good. 1000 puzzles, controls well, and only costs $20. Though I only have a GBA so I can't compare it to the version in Brain Training.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Do yourself a favor...skip all these sudoku games and track down a copy of this...

603722.jpg

And the Japan-only sequels (for both Game Boy and Super Famicom).

RSP

Whimsical Phil said:
Do yourself a favor...skip all these sudoku games and track down a copy of this...

603722.jpg

And the Japan-only sequels (for both Game Boy and Super Famicom).

I have a feeling someone is developing this for DS.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
RSP said:
I have a feeling someone is developing this for DS.
I already have one GaoGaiGar-themed picross game for the DS that was released in Japan by a company called Sunrise Interactive.

Nintendo REALLY needs to make a Mario's Picross DS, though. And then ideally, bring it out in the U.S.

jesusraz

Mario's Picross Training would cause MASSIVE damage to Sony in Japan!

Oh, and is Sudoku Gridmaster developed by Hudson, overseen by Sudoku kings Nikoli?

Danj

iifu said:
You should download the Kazuo demo for PSP and try that out, it's surprisingly good.

I agree. I find that using the left and right shoulder buttons on the PSP to select a number is actually pretty intuitive, and it's probably quicker than having to click/tap on a number or whatever you do in the DS sudoku games.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Danj said:
I agree. I find that using the left and right shoulder buttons on the PSP to select a number is actually pretty intuitive, and it's probably quicker than having to click/tap on a number or whatever you do in the DS sudoku games.

Please tell me that was sarcasm... it sounded way too real to tell...

Thomper

Sudoku Gridmaster isn't a new game btw - seems to be US version of Puzzle Series - Sudoku, a Hudson game. The E3 press-release says it was developed by Hudson and the game looks the same in the movie, so I'd say it's just the same game but now with Nintendo publishing it.

Remy

The Kazuo/Go Sudoku (why hello there same game!) method is fairly intuitive once you spend a few minutes with it. I've been able to complete a fair number of the easy puzzles in under 2:00, and one in under 1:30. I've tried Brain Training, and I don't think I'd be able to manage the same speed with the zoom-in-write-zoom-out input method.

Kazuo/Go Sudoku also has the advantage of being able to take downloadable puzzle packs; the XML format actually looks pretty simple (or at least, readable) and it may even be possible to make homemade add-on packs, were someone possessed enough.

Oh, and it's got 1000 puzzles built in to the disk, and retails for $30.

The only downfall of the game is that a bug crept into the US release where for no discernible reason, the game will occasionally throw up an "ATTENTION! PLEASE WAIT..." screen over the puzzle while you're playing while the game clock continues to run. You can pause the game to not get zapped time off the clock, and it doesn't happen every puzzle, but it sure is an odd bug. (The developer acknowledged that there is a bug but doesn't think Ubisoft is going to issue a fix.)

pollo

Banned
Psh dont care if the company couldn't make intuitive use of the second screen, all I care about is if THEY DONT COP OUT AND PUT EASY PUZZLES. I WANT HARD PUZZLES DAMNIT

stewy

Remy said:
The Kazuo/Go Sudoku (why hello there same game!) method is fairly intuitive once you spend a few minutes with it. I've been able to complete a fair number of the easy puzzles in under 2:00, and one in under 1:30. I've tried Brain Training, and I don't think I'd be able to manage the same speed with the zoom-in-write-zoom-out input method.

Kazuo/Go Sudoku also has the advantage of being able to take downloadable puzzle packs; the XML format actually looks pretty simple (or at least, readable) and it may even be possible to make homemade add-on packs, were someone possessed enough.

Oh, and it's got 1000 puzzles built in to the disk, and retails for $30.

The only downfall of the game is that a bug crept into the US release where for no discernible reason, the game will occasionally throw up an "ATTENTION! PLEASE WAIT..." screen over the puzzle while you're playing while the game clock continues to run. You can pause the game to not get zapped time off the clock, and it doesn't happen every puzzle, but it sure is an odd bug. (The developer acknowledged that there is a bug but doesn't think Ubisoft is going to issue a fix.)

That bug has to do with how much juice is left in the battery. If it gets down to something like 85% that screen begins to pop up randomly. That's what pretty much killed the game for me.

I also hate that you can't turn off the wrong number warning. It kills a lot of the challenge to know that you've input a wrong number early on.

jesusraz

Thomper said:
Sudoku Gridmaster isn't a new game btw - seems to be US version of Puzzle Series - Sudoku, a Hudson game. The E3 press-release says it was developed by Hudson and the game looks the same in the movie, so I'd say it's just the same game but now with Nintendo publishing it.

Thank you for confirming my original thoughts! It's the only Puzzle Series game on the DS that has done that well in Japan. Nintendo was purely handling publishing duties and didn't actually have a hand in this at all then...?

Thomper

jesusraz said:
Thank you for confirming my original thoughts! It's the only Puzzle Series game on the DS that has done that well in Japan. Nintendo was purely handling publishing duties and didn't actually have a hand in this at all then...?
Pretty much.
Shiggy said:
Did Hudson develop this game?
Yes, the press-release Nintendo released of this game during E3 says so.

Hmmm, now that I've finished all the Brain Age Sudoku... Darn, I was hoping this to be similar. I guess I'll pick it up used. I like playing Sudoku with my DS... Brain Age's Sudoku got me hooked.

Belfast

Amir0x said:
Go! Sudoku is apparently very crappy too

I dunno, I was impressed with the PSP downloadable demo of the Japanese sudoku game...then I realized it WAS GO! Sudoku. It's nothing special, but its presentation was kinda neat and I think it has some neat little features that make it one of the best electronic representations of the puzzle I've seen.

I just tried that PSP demo and pretty much agree. But the relatively simple controls still take a bit of getting used to after the really intuitive Brain Training.

Regardless - is this and Loco Roco the only PSP demo's currently out for download? Or are there more?

jesusraz

Shiggy said:
I just wondered because the Brain Training Sudoku was made by NIKOLI Co., LTD.

Nikoli owns the Sudoku brand, so anything featuring Sudoku will have that company's name somewhere on the package/game.

Ranger X

This is so stupid...
What graphics do you need to enjoy a Sudoku game? It could be 2 colors (black and white) and it doesn't remove a tiny bit of enjoyment. There's no background in my Sudoku book OH TEH NOES.

And the "i can't play in book mode" is equally stupid really. Your god damned DS is meant to be held either way so it just can't be a flaw.
Some reviews are ****ing stupid really.

Deku

Banned
The Brain Training sudoku puzzles are nice bonuses, but I really don't understand the digitization of a game like this.

Sudoku is best played/solved on a piece of paper, a notebook, or something where you can actually physically write down the answer and perhaps jot down possible solutions on the page margins.

The DS versions is passable because the touchscreen makes it workable at least, but really, its best played on a peice of paper. I'm not sure who would want to play the PSP version.

reminder

Kazuo > every other Sudoku game out there

Button controls are perfect for Sudoku imo. I tried the Sudoku in the Brain Age demo and i had more problems than fun. Sometimes my numbers weren't correctly recognized or a big written number changed to a small number in the corner. I had none of these problems in the Kazuo demo.

Javaman

I've found PSP's Go Sudoku freeze bug to be quite annoying as well. Setting a background picture in the game supposedly fixed the pause, but I hadn't tried it yet. I don't know what the deal is, but just about every electronic version of the game I've gotten has some kid of bug, especially with the dedicated hand held versions. (Some delete temp numbers you put in unknown squares if you use too many suggestions!) If you are new to the game, make sure the game will allow you to put in guesses and view multiple square's guesses at the same time. It's almost required to finish the harder puzzles.

Belfast

Deku said:
The Brain Training sudoku puzzles are nice bonuses, but I really don't understand the digitization of a game like this.

Sudoku is best played/solved on a piece of paper, a notebook, or something where you can actually physically write down the answer and perhaps jot down possible solutions on the page margins.

The DS versions is passable because the touchscreen makes it workable at least, but really, its best played on a peice of paper. I'm not sure who would want to play the PSP version.

The PSP controls are surprisingly faster and easier to handle. Plus, you don't have to struggle to get it to recognize which number you want to input. :p

L and R scroll through the available numbers, x jots a note, square erases a note, and circle inputs a guess, IIRC. No need to zoom in an out and jump through hoops. Now for a crossword puzzle, with 26 possible inputs, I'd rather use the DS.

Sudoku Gridmaster isn't that bad; playing the final retail version right now. It's true that the execution and book-style of Brain Age sudoku isn't as functional, but you can still write numbers via stylus or jot down hints in a hint square rather than the same window. BA did it better, but this is fine for people who want more puzzles and time-based challenges.

Emotions

Danj said:

Writing the actual numbers >>>>> selecting the number, IMO. The Sudoku puzzles in BA are very easy to play and easily recognizes the numbers.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I haven't tried the PSP Sudoku yet but I like the way it's handled in Brain Age. The only Sudoku games I've played is that one Dr. Sudoku game for GBA (1000+ puzzles) and the one from Brain Age, I much prefer inputting numbers with the touch screen.

The puzzles in Brain Age are too damn easy to solve though, even the advanced ones. Too bad Gridmaster doesn't just copy Brain Age's setup and expand it with more puzzles + presentation

Top Bottom