• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like those ICE engine rumors were true (well sorta...)

Busty

Banned
element said:
I was talking about the ICE ages ago.

if anything it is more of a framework then an engine. like a developer using the framework can see something another team is doing and say 'ohh i like that' and bring it into their game rapidly.

One would assume that ICE would only be accessible by wholly owned studios of SCE, and not independent studios. But I could be wrong.

I remember reading about both Ninja Theory and Insomniac saying that though they aren't wholly Sony studios they are being brought in on tech/tool related matters with the other first party developers and that the final word had to come from Phil. I imagine that someone like Evolution how have a multi year/game deal with Sony would probably be allowed in on it.

Interestingly, I'm sure I read an interview with Julian Eggbrecht in which he said that Factor 5 were a 'first party' developer. Not sure if he now classes Factor 5 in that catergory since they are now presumably in on the ICE framework.

I would imagine that NEON is the tech that Sony is happy to share with various third party developers and independents. Though it would be interesting to see how much access a studio that has a one game deal with Sony gets. I would imagine nothing, but you never know.

Top Bottom