• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North QA with community manager at Snowblind

SnowblindTina

LotR: War in the North Community Manager
piratepwnsninja said:
Any word on when Steam pre-orders will be available?
We have heard October 21, but it's pretty much in their hands. As soon as they go up, I'll post here, and add them to our pre-order page.

Decado

Will there be any split screen or local co-op? The game looks more like a 3rd person action game than the Dark Alliance top-down style that is so well suited for local co-op.

SnowblindTina

Decado said:
Will there be any split screen or local co-op? The game looks more like a 3rd person action game than the Dark Alliance top-down style that is so well suited for local co-op.

You can couch co-op on 360 and PS3 (vertical split)
You can LAN/Systemlink
You can Matchmake or play with friends online.

You can also combo these (i.e. one friend on the couch with you, combined with one other person playing online or via LAN)

SnowblindTina

V_Ben said:
Gotta say Tina, you're doing an incredible job responding to people. Great to see.

Thanks, V_Ben! The more folks who say nice things like you do, the more excited I am to talk about it.

I'm not trying to pimp our Facebook page (truly) but I'm currently hosting a one hour live thread Q&A on our facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/lotrwitn so they may have asked questions that you guys haven't thought about. Even if you view this later, you can always check out the archive.

I'll be over there answering live until about 4:45pm PT today.

Card Boy

Banned
I know its been mentioned several times already Tina, but can you pass onto the development team to put in Local co-op for the PC version? I assume its possible to have 1 person on Mouse+Keyboard, plus another with Xbox 360 controller.

A million thank yous to the team if they patch in it or develop it.

PC split-screen, really? Why ask them to divert resources for something that 0.1% of the customer base will use. Just sayin'... rather them polish the game further.

Card Boy

Banned
It already exists in the PS3/360 versions, so clearly the code is there and its being cut or disabled from the PC version. I guess i have to wait for modders to put in back in.

Emitan

Gez said:
I know its been mentioned several times already Tina, but can you pass onto the development team to put in Local co-op for the PC version? I assume its possible to have 1 person on Mouse+Keyboard, plus another with Xbox 360 controller.

A million thank yous to the team if they patch in it or develop it.
Oh please, please. Such a shame that it's easier to run a splitscreen game on PC but almost no one allows it.

SnowblindTina

Not to incur the wrath of International folks, but the US team is sweetening the pot if you pre-order the game in the US, by giving away a free t-shirt with proof of all pre-orders.

"What does it look like? How do you get your shirt? Any other rules we should know about?"

Glad you asked!

What does it look like? ---
pre-order-shirt.jpg
!

Some of the details are difficult to make out, so the gist of it is this:
Front: Silhouettes of our three main weapons classes representing Farin, Andriel and Eradan. Text reads "Defenders Of The North: A New Fellowship Unites". A couple of cool details, such as the left text which says "Decapitating Orcs Since the Third Age" and the right text which says, "Estb: 3018 T.A. Bree".

Back: Game Logo

How do I get it? ---
On our facebook page there is a submission app where you enter your postal information, size preference, and a photo providing proof of pre-order. All the rules are on the Facebook app itself. (App located here. Rules located here.)
And that's pretty much it.

Important Rules we should know about? ---
The Key things are:

18+ Only
US Only
Sizes S-XL Only
Delivery is 8-10 weeks from an external fulfillment house.
Works on existing or new pre-orders
Works on any pre-order location (whatever is your preferred retail outlet)
Works on any Sku, including OnLive or Collector's Editions
We aren't handling the promo itself. It's being handled externally, so I don't have answers to the technical questions you may have off-hand, but I can get them if you have any. :)

Most important: The form MUST be filled out prior to 10/31's cutoff time as noted in the rules, so if you've got an existing pre-order, get on this. It can all be done digitally.

Let me know if you have any questions, but I know a few folks on GAF have said they pre-ordered, so I wanted them to know they could get a free shirt.

Lord Phol

Dash Kappei said:
What
I can't even begin to answer such a stupid question sorry, but I have my pc and consoles hooked up to the same tv (well, to a 1080p projector) and I play on PC with the xbox controller, why would I want to fork out more money to play the game on inferior hardware and settle for an inferior experience?
As I've said, now I'll wait for a Steam sale or I'll get the console version when it hits bomba-bin prices.

Well it was an honest question, I was curious since I haven't heard of anyone doing it before.
I also found it a strange thing to rant about since Snowblind has been all about the great co-op action on consoles in the past.
But I guess if you haven't played a snowblind game before and you mainly use your pc it makes sense.

I don't want to sound like a Kmart shill (I'm not really, other than for games I try avoid the place like the plague) so I'll just leave this link here for you without going into any further details. This is freaking awesome for me as one of probably a small number of people who intended on buying both Batman and WitN.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
I don't want to sound like a Kmart shill (I'm not really, other than for games I try avoid the place like the plague) so I'll just leave this link here for you without going into any further details. This is freaking awesome for me as one of probably a small number of people who intended on buying both Batman and WitN.
That's ridiculous. TWO $30 COUPONS with Batman + LotR...wtf

Heavy said:
That's ridiculous. TWO $30 COUPONS with Batman + LotR...wtf
Only one, but you can combine it with the WitN one for $40 off. Then next month, WitN comes with another $20 coupon, so as long as you're buying another game in November (who isn't, right?) you're basically getting WitN free while still supporting the game at release :p

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Only one, but you can combine it with the WitN one for $40 off. Then next month, WitN comes with another $20 coupon, so as long as you're buying another game in November (who isn't, right?) you're basically getting WitN free while still supporting the game at release :p

Yeah that's what I meant, basically $60 in credit/coupons/whatever ya wanna call them. K-mart is awesome. Just wish they carried more PC games but they just don't sell nearly as well as the console versions.

I am really starting to get hyped for WitN. I love LotR but never bought an LotR game because they seemed to either be an average RTS or a short action/adventure. WitN is an action-RPG with loot + great replayability... sounds like a dream! (oh and online co-op!)

Sorry, I didn't follow you, brain no worky at work. :p

I'm totally stoked to play another co-op game from Snowblind, period. The license is just icing on the cake.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Lord Phol said:
Well it was an honest question, I was curious since I haven't heard of anyone doing it before.
I also found it a strange thing to rant about since Snowblind has been all about the great co-op action on consoles in the past.
But I guess if you haven't played a snowblind game before and you mainly use your pc it makes sense.
Actually the fact that I HAVE played and LOVED each and every one of Snowblind's games in couch co-op is exactly the reason I'm disappointed by the lack of it on the PC version of their latest game.

Please Tina, it'd be awesome if you could pass on to the team to see if it's possible to add split-screen co-op to PC post launch,
I'd buy three copies to support such feature in future games without even blinking if that was the case, I'm not even kidding!
Either way I'd appreciate it a lot if the team was made aware there are many people (just look at the tie ratio in this very thread) who would love such feature.

SnowblindTina

Dash Kappei said:
Actually the fact that I HAVE played and LOVED each and every one of Snowblind's games in couch co-op is exactly the reason I'm disappointed by the lack of it on the PC version of their latest game.

Please Tina, it'd be awesome if you could pass on to the team to see if it's possible to add split-screen co-op to PC post launch,
I'd buy three copies to support such feature in future games without even blinking if that was the case, I'm not even kidding!
Either way I'd appreciate it a lot if the team was made aware there are many people (just look at the tie ratio in this very thread) who would love such feature.

I can say it is something I've definitely taken back to the team, but it's not in the cards when we launch in November.

Touch

I'll pick this up on PC for sure. Absolutely loved Dark Alliance and the Champions titles. Been waiting a long time for a new Snowblind RPG.

Me too. I just have a couple of questions. If I play a while solo as the ranger, am I leveling the elf and the dwarf in my group too? Would the dwarven equipment I pick up go to him?

SnowblindTina

Last Hearth said:
Me too. I just have a couple of questions. If I play a while solo as the ranger, am I leveling the elf and the dwarf in my group too? Would the Dwarven equipment I pick up go to him?

If you play while solo, the other two characters will be played by AI. If you pick up equipment, for an AI played character, you can either sell it to a vendor, or give it to that character, or keep it for another time when you may be playing with a buddy. The AI will evaluate the item and discern whether it is better than what they currently have equipped, and if it is, they'll wear it. :)

That works for weapons as well.

SnowblindTina said:
If you play while solo, the other two characters will be played by AI. If you pick up equipment, for an AI played character, you can either sell it to a vendor, or give it to that character, or keep it for another time when you may be playing with a buddy. The AI will evaluate the item and discern whether it is better than what they currently have equipped, and if it is, they'll wear it. :)

That works for weapons as well.
This would be hilarious if it were possible to get a dress with better stats than the plate the dwarf was wearing...

lunchtoast

Had some amazon points laying around so I pre-ordered this for PS3. Who else will be playing on PS3? (When not playing Uncharted)

Lord Phol

lunchtoast said:
Had some amazon points laying around so I pre-ordered this for PS3. Who else will be playing on PS3? (When not playing Uncharted)

Pre-orded it today on PS3, so you might see me online :).

SnowblindTina said:
We have one more update for today:

http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/63403/the-lord-of-the-rings-war-in-the-north

G4Tv released a brand new preview of us - check it out!

That looked pretty great, after watching the video I feel confident I will enjoy it.
Huzzah for snowlind and Tina!

Gez said:
Just get it from here.

$37.59
http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/action/the-lord-of-the-rings-war-in-the-north/

It will be 49.95 on Steam unless they have a discount of 44.95.
Yeah I was but someone is gonna gift me it from Steam and I'm gonna give him some currency from a F2P game called Spiral Knights (we're allowed to do it) so it'll effectively be free for me, but it's not up on Steam so he can't buy it, which is weird because it releases in only 8 days... what's going on?

Any chance of it getting GFWL support, btw? lol :p

lunchtoast said:
Anyone planning on making an OT for this?
I'd like to but I'm fat and lazy. Maybe I'll give it a shot this week...don't have class till Thursday. It wouldn't be anything special tho, just a banner, headings, and important info. If you had a big epic one in mind, go for it.

Captain N

Im curious as to how much time / thinking went into Trophies & Achievements. Did you try and make it so they flowed well with the game?

lunchtoast

Heavy said:
I'd like to but I'm fat and lazy. Maybe I'll give it a shot this week...don't have class till Thursday. It wouldn't be anything special tho, just a banner, headings, and important info. If you had a big epic one in mind, go for it.
Oh I wasn't planning on doing an OT. Was just curious since it's close to release.

Pimpbaa

Snowblind was king of the diablo clone genre on consoles last gen. They really were able to get the most of the ps2. Can't wait to try this game.

lunchtoast

Pimpbaa said:
Snowblind was king of the diablo clone genre on consoles last gen. They really were able to get the most of the ps2. Can't wait to try this game.

Had some good times with Champions. Played it recently and it's still a great game.

ReaperXL7

Such a shame, I was really looking forward to this because I love Snowblinds previous work. I just can't get behind this with how little the lore seems to matter in this. Been a fan of LOTR for many years, so I was looking forward to this one.

ReaperXL07 said:
Such a shame, I was really looking forward to this because I love Snowblinds previous work. I just can't get behind this with how little the lore seems to matter in this. Been a fan of LOTR for many years, so I was looking forward to this one.
Where did you find this out? Or just from observing the game's progress and stuff? Not doubting you, just wanna know for myself.

ReaperXL7

Heavy said:
Where did you find this out? Or just from observing the game's progress and stuff? Not doubting you, just wanna know for myself.

Just from watching videos really, one of the first key things that sticks out is the random elf that spews magic missles like shes wielding a machine gun. That is not how magic works in Tolkien's world. Magic is handled very carefully by Tolkien throughout the lord of the rings, only a very small handful of people can wield it, and fewer still can really use it, They chose to make a Magic elf simply to make the game fun, fine for them, not for me.

Some people don't care about this kind of stuff, i'd imagine alot don't, which is fine. Personally I think it would have been alot smarter to not make a "mage" and make the characters A Ranger, Tank, and Rouge/Archer type class. There are alot of other things but this one of my larger issues.

larvi

I just submitted a picture of my ugly mug for a free T-shirt. Looking forward to the game and the shirt now :)

ReaperXL07 said:
Just from watching videos really, one of the first key things that sticks out is the random elf that spews magic missles like shes wielding a machine gun. That is not how magic works in Tolkien's world. Magic is handled very carefully by Tolkien throughout the lord of the rings, only a very small handful of people can wield it, and fewer still can really use it, They chose to make a Magic elf simply to make the game fun, fine for them, not for me.

Some people don't care about this kind of stuff, i'd imagine alot don't, which is fine. Personally I think it would have been alot smarter to not make a "mage" and make the characters A Ranger, Tank, and Rouge/Archer type class. There are alot of other things but this one of my larger issues.
I remember reading or hearing something about the Lord of the Rings Online developers going out of their way to avoid magic wielding characters but they came up with some equivilant that worked with the lore.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
ReaperXL07 said:

Yeah it always kinda felt like this was an RPG they attached the LOTR license to, rather than a LOTR RPG. If that makes any sense.

ReaperXL7

Htown said:
Yeah it always kinda felt like this was an RPG they attached the LOTR license to, rather than a LOTR RPG. If that makes any sense.

This is exactly what the game feels like to me, I understand why they did this though. It sucks on my end because I have always wanted a developer to craft a Lord of the Rings RPG that is 100% true to the established world and lore that Tolkien created. I can see why they made the choices they did, but as someone who became so strongly invested into LOTR throughout my life this just does not fit into what I was hoping that it would be when it was announced.

@Felix

Yeah, I never really got a chance to get into the MMO. I always wanted to but never found the time to do so, from what i've seen through various videos though it seems that Turbine really tried to remain true to the source material, more so than most others would have.

Like I said though, much respect to the devs for their community involvement, I'm sure the game will be a good loot heavy ARPG, It just wish it had been a new IP if they did not want to use the lore as it's already been created.

Top Bottom