• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of Shadow is beautiful

Gbraga

That part filled me with goosebumps when the music elevated and the choir kicked in!

The trailers for this game were truly incredible, some of my favorites for sure. Now I need to rewatch them all. :D

Mark me well: I will wipe the name of Belmont from this world. FOREVER!

REVENGE

HGGGGGNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Definitelly agree with you! some screenshots by me:

castlevanialosue_2017lwsp0.jpg

castlevanialosue_2017xfs6k.jpg

I also really enjoyed on PC with 60fps gameplay, was so fun especially after came from 20fps PS3 version.

I really didn't enjoy it, powered through the game for a few hours before dropping it completely.

I was not surprised to see that LoS2 was a mess.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Gameplay and soundtrack and story are mediocrity personified, but the visuals are gorgeous. Some of the best environmental art direction I've ever seen.

Lords of Shadow 1 is gorgeous. The vista's you get to see in the game are stunning to look at both visually and artistically. In terms of the story all the stuff up to the Carmilla's Castle and the Castle itself are great. After that is where the story starts to fall apart which is a shame. Then Lords of Shadow 2 which in concept could have been really good was to me the most disappointing sequel to any game ever.

Heartfyre

I've given up trying to explain the merits of every aspect of this game to non-believers, but seeing the numerous posts from like-minded people in this thread is very pleasant.

It may not be what old Castlevania fans wanted, but if it makes them blind to all this game accomplished, then that's on them.

Arkeband

Banned
It's truly Mercury Steam's grilled Cheesus. A truly beautiful game that is basically the God of War of Brothers Grimm and European medieval fantasy, culminating in a
knock-down-drag-out with Satan himself.

The Hideo Kojima trailer was amazing:
https://youtu.be/v1kNvUnvt3w

It's a shame the 3DS game was trash along with LoS2, which to its benefit has one of the most amazing cinematic trailers ever made.

DemWalls

I mean Lords of Shadow killed the entire series, pretty much. Says a lot.

It sold too well, that's the problem. So when the sequel came out and sold nowhere near the same number...

Honestly, though, given the path Konami has taken I wouldn't be surprised if the series would've died anyway even if LoS 2 sold twice as much as the first.

Neith

Banned
It doesn't totally grab me, the cutscenes are fucking terribly aliased even on PC, which totally take me out of the immersion, but overall it is a solid game with some absolutely beautiful scenery and a decent fighting system.

I have to finish it someday.

jett

D-Member
Man this topic is old.

This game deserves a second beauty pass, a team that not just remasters it but fixes its numerous level design issues and annoying camera angles. I remember not liking the game at first, but liking it more during a second playthrough when I knew exactly how to progress through the levels. :p It had solid combat (and sadly it took too long for you to get all the moves), wonder if it's worth another look in 2017.

The sequel being a complete disaster was a real shame. If nothing else, LOS1 showed potential.

Lord Phol

I adore everything about the atmosphere, music, visuals and overall design of this game. The menus with the book and stuff were great, and made it extra enjoyable to read about all the different enemies and lore. Gameplay was all right and functionable, but god was the actual story and acting awful. The game also dragged on a bit too long for my taste. Still though, great game and IMO a worthy 3D castlevania. Too bad about the sequel.

Opa-Pa

The game was pretty for sure, but eh, the first game at least was mediocrity incarnated. Super soulless, like some stock western AAA reboot of a franchise the devs didn't care about in the slightest (a shame because they clearly did like Castlevania).

The Konami collaboration fell apart and now they made the best non Prime Metroid in more than 20 years though, so I say best timeline confirmed.

This is still my favorite Castlevania game period, 2D or 3D. I loved the shit out of it. The soundtrack is also one of my favorites, and there's not many games out there for me where I can just leave it on the title screen and just listen for days!

I thought Lords of Shadow 2 was also fantastic and really loved the almost metroid-like aspect to it. Come at me!! :)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I wholeheartedly agree, LOS gave me the impression that Castlevania was back in a big way
That game shot up to the ranks of MGS, RE with LOS, absolutely fantastic.
But not everyone thought so. The Diehards obviously bitched about it and feedback was taken on and we got LOS2, thing is there is greatness in LOS2 but some bad decision ruined it.
If only they ignored the feedback LOS2 would have been just as good if not better.

Edit: what's going on with loads of people being banned on here ??

I liked the game. I think it could’ve used some polish, but it was a solid 7/10. I loved the ending. Never played the second game or the 3DS game though.

I wholeheartedly agree, LOS gave me the impression that Castlevania was back in a big way
That game shot up to the ranks of MGS, RE with LOS, absolutely fantastic.
But not everyone thought so. The Diehards obviously bitched about it and feedback was taken on and we got LOS2, thing is there is greatness in LOS2 but some bad decision ruined it.
If only they ignored the feedback LOS2 would have been just as good if not better.

Edit: what's going on with loads of people being banned on here ??

This thread is from 2ish years ago. It threw me off for a bit too.

Het_Nkik

It was pretty visually but it was a goddamned mess as far as pacing and story was concerned. Gameplay was just whatever.

Honestly, the thing that sticks out most to me about the game was Patrick Stewart trying to read the story bits with the wrong inflections and emphases at nearly every other sentence because the writing was so horrible and the voice director obviously wasn't brave enough to direct a legit famous person.

DemWalls

While I've had my share of more or less heated discussion with diehard Castlevania fans in the past, I don't think it's fair to blame them for the way LoS 2 ended up. We know how messy that game's development has been, and I don't think that was due to the feedback at all.

nOoblet16

The amount of work that went in to create the art in Lords of Shadows is insane. There's just so much detail and variation that it's crazy even by today's standards. I remember even the artists in Beyond3D being amazed by that.

In comparison Lords of Shadows 2 is full of copy paste factory environments. When I found out that they were doing modern day I expected more than bland factory interiors.

DemWalls

The amount of work that went in to create the art in Lords of Shadows is insane. There's just so much detail and variation that it's crazy even by today's standards. I remember even the artists in Beyond3D being amazed by that.

In comparison Lords of Shadows 2 is full of copy paste factory environments. When I found out that they were doing modern day I expected more than bland factory interiors.

Indeed, I was pretty disappointed when I got my hands on the artbook and the amount of pages dedicated to the environments was actually quite small.

LoS 2 is so inconsistent. Most of the castle sections are even better, visually, than what the first has to offer (honestly, I consider them the pinnacle of the medium), but the first modern levels really are rather unremarkable. The later sections in the city aren't half bad actually.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic game with brilliant scoreand visuals. Shame about the sequel.

I thank you for your short post.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Loved it. Better than GoW3 IMO (maybe not in terms of gameplay, but it did a much better job at being an epic adventure). So sad that things went to shit after this game.

Shifty

I remember playing this after seeing the promo material for LoS2 and really enjoying it. It had some flaws, like the sodding QTE on the
ice colossus
fight but overall was superbly well-presented.
Good combat too, once the whole "whip is not a point blank weapon" concept sinks in.

Real shame that the sequel didn't live up to its potential. I should replay this sometime.

Never tried the second one. Still worth it or way too much bad?

The highs are real high but the lows drag it down to mediocre-tier at best.

Good:
Dracula's castle areas are incredible
Some really cool set pieces and bosses

Bad:
City areas are trash
Too much city, not enough castle
Awful forced stealth sections
Exploration doesn't really live up to its potential
Combat system wasn't advanced all that much past the first game's
Unsatisfying conclusion

The demo is worth a play if you want a peek at what could have been. It gives you a decent subset of abilities, infinite mana (which made the combat feel like it was really going places) and is set during the awesome intro set-piece.

Mercador

Thanks I'll try the demo. Never gave it a chance with all the bad talk around it though LoS was my favorite Castlevania game, so much epicness.

DemWalls

Thanks I'll try the demo. Never gave it a chance with all the bad talk around it though LoS was my favorite Castlevania game, so much epicness.

Then you should definitely try it. Maybe wait for a sale if you're on PC, you can get it for a few bucks.

Raitaro

I've been eyeing the Lords of Shadow art book for a few weeks now, thinking of buying it for Halloween celebration purposes. Does anyone here recommend it?

I've always really liked Mercury Steam's art direction in these games, from the gorgeous environments to the solid character designs and hauntingly awesome soundtrack. To me, this series for the first time truly grounded the Castlevania lore and world to me in a believable, gothic way and that made me sit up and notice back in the day. I particularly liked how Lords of Shadow sets up the origin story for Dracula (as well as what existed before his rise to power, which I particularly dug) while Mirror of Fate delved further into the consequences of that origin by tying together the time lines of Simon, Gabriel and Trevor.

I'd definitely buy another game set in the same world in other words. That said, I could do without the use of invisible walls that largely killed my sense of exploration and immersion. The same goes for the hit sponge enemies that made me feel like I needed to hit them for far too many times even though Gabriel and his combat cross looked powerful enough to one-shot them. Those blemishes made me not finish LoS even though I did manage to finish MoF for some reason.

DemWalls

I've been eyeing the Lords of Shadow art book for a few weeks now, thinking of buying it for Halloween celebration purposes. Does anyone here recommend it?

It's not bad, but as I have written above, I must say it disappointed me. I think we can all agree that environmental art is the highlight of the entire LoS saga, but the book leaves comparatively little space for it, focusing mainly on characters and enemies.

EDIT: For example, even gorgeous pieces like this one are nowhere to be seen:

There should have been an entire artbook for every game in the series, really.

Funny, I didn't know they were also on PC.

The first one at 60 FPS is basically another game with respect to the console version. It runs very well on older hardware, too.

Grisby

One of my favorite games of last gen. I'd snap up a remaster in a heartbeat.

Pan's forest is freaking gorgeous.
I also loved the hand drawn animations to demo moves you can purchase between missions.

The presentation of this game was master class.
I loved these. What a cool and artistic way to show you what a move looked like.

Game just had a lot of heart put into it.

Randomizer

It certainly had beautiful presentation. The art design, graphics, voice acting and music were top notch. But unfortunately the gameplay ranged from good (boss fights), merely average(level design, combat, scripted scenes) and downright awful(Sotc ripoff titan bosses ). I still ended up enjoying my time with it overall but it didn't feel like Castlevania and it certainly doesn't rank anywhere near the 2D entries in the series.

I liked the game, but the first thing I immediately remember about it is the very poor performance on PS3.

I think no other game made me as frustrated because of the framerate.

Also I think it was easily 5 hours too long.

But, it's still a memorable and very poetic game. The art design is outstanding!

Top Bottom