• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles officer shoots boy, 15, after seeing replica gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
...but the officer shot the wrong person.

Source

(Reuters) - Los Angeles police were investigating on Thursday the shooting of a 15-year-old boy who was shot and wounded by a police officer who saw a person next to the teenager pointing what turned out to be a replica gun, police said.

The Los Angeles police department said officers from a gang homicide unit had been conducting a follow-up investigation on Tuesday when they encountered several people, including one carrying what appeared to be a gun.

"Officers saw that individual pointing the firearm at another individual," a police statement said. "Officers ordered him to drop the weapon multiple times. The individual ignored the officer's commands and an officer-involved shooting occurred."

The 15-year-old, who was not identified, was shot once in the upper back, while the person who had been holding the replica was not injured. The wounded boy was treated at a local hospital and released to his mother after the incident in a south Los Angeles alley, police said. No arrests have been made.

I cannot help but think later the cops will say their shooting of the uninvolved victim was justified.

dan2026

Again?

Didn't this just happen a couple of weeks ago?

I can't say I disagree with the cops on this one though.
Wave around a gun, replica or not and you are asking for trouble in America.

Wait the cops shot the wrong guy?
Now I really am confused.

studyguy

TNkNJO2.gif

Stop or we'll shoot... your hostage?

kris.

Banned
Again?

Didn't this just happen a couple of weeks ago?

I can't say I disagree with the cops on this one though.
Wave around a gun, replica or not and you are asking for trouble in America.

Wait the cops shot the wrong guy?
Now I really am confused.

Yeah, shooting the wrong person is totally justifiable, can't disagree with the cops at all on this one. He shouldn't have been hanging out with his friend!

Wait, so the cop shot the guy who was getting aimed by other guy with the replica gun?

Edit: Ah, glad that the shot kid is making a recovery. A stone rolled off from my chest. Still, I'm amazed on this kind of thing could happen.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The article doesn't say.

It's one thing to shoot someone who's perceived to be a threat, but to shoot the wrong person?

HurrjOo.jpg

No it actually does say:

The 15-year-old, who was not identified, was shot once in the upper back, while the person who had been holding the replica was not injured.

wtf

Newt

Pretty unfortunate situation. Can't blame the cops though, because it could have easily been a real gun and they didn't comply with orders.

guek

Banned
I'm starting to develop this fear that I'll some day be confronted by a policeman to whom I'll say "please don't shoot me" which will annoy the cop and lead to my fatal shooting.

I once had a cop pull his gun on me for not having my hands on the steering wheel after getting pulled over for speeding. It was so surreal.

jersoc

America.

Promote gun culture.

Kill kids with toy guns.

America.

or, or, or, maybe the problem is that the cops are being militarized and not facing due justice for shooting random innocent people.

just a thought.

rest of the world

doesn't understand

rest of the world

Yado

I'm finding it really hard to believe that these kids are just ignoring police officers when they tell them to drop what they're holding.

studyguy

No that's not what I meant. It doesn't say why the officer shot the wrong guy in the first place...or am I missing something?

Most likely the cop simply missed. I mean there's little reason to shoot some dude who was supposedly being threatened by the suspect with the replica gun in the first place.

kirblar

Nothing to be outraged about given the current statements of events- unfortunately, people do miss shots. (This of course is subject to change if further information comes out.)

Volimar

Only makes sense if they were standing next to each other and the cop had shitty aim. Dumb on both him and the kid that would not comply.

ohhh....

do we even need to know? what could it be other than he missed?
That's what I'm curious about I wonder if it'll ever come out.

Also interesting the one holding the replica gun wasn't arrested for anything. Seems to me the cops would quickly arrest him and charge him with something to save face but not even that happened.

Yet.

x-Lundz-x

See someone who MIGHT have a real gun, automatically shoot. I don't get it.

Yup, they just pulled up and shot, it's not like they didn't order him to put it down first multiple times. Just saw it and shot.... Fucking tired of these bullshit posts.

The real issue here is why the other kid was hit. Curious if there was a struggle, were they right next to each other what. The details in OP don't really paint a clear picture.

watershed

Banned
"And the officer involved shooting occurred" yet another amazing use of passive voice that removes the cop from the action.

Corgi

Banned
So that news story a while back about target practice against black people's faces is legit.

They all look the same! It's all a blur.

America.

Promote gun culture.

Kill kids with toy guns.

America.

This. A cop is still a human being that most likely has a family to go home to. And the pervasiveness of personally owned weapons in the US instills a level of fear that can be almost impossible to suppress. I do wish the offers would show more restraint in firearm usage.

This. A cop is still a human being that most likely has a family to go home to. And the pervasiveness of personally owned weapons in the US instills a level of fear that can be almost impossible to suppress. I do wish the offers would show more restraint in firearm usage.

You know, I think they can manage.

Ferrio

Banned
You know when you're a rookie they can teach you everything about being a cop, except how to live with a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom