• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles officer shoots boy, 15, after seeing replica gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the shooter just not aim? Was he trying to intimidate the kid with the fake gun by shooting his friend? Bizarre.

At least the kid didn't die.

THRILLH0

Banned
Need more information here. Did the cop aim for the right person but miss? Was he confused? Was there a commotion between the 2 teenagers?

Kid with the gun needs to accept blame here.

AudioNoir

Banned
Next week it'll be "black man in all-black clothing bends over at 90 degree angle to tie shoe shot for looking sort of like really big gun"

... cuz this stuff is just getting dumber and dumber as we go along.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I'm not sure if the officer missed. Wasn't said in the article.

Well, what do you think happened? Do you think the cop just started shooting people who weren't armed before the (fake) gunman could because the cop called dibs?

Servbot24

Banned
If you're holding a gun replica up to somebody and you ignore multiple warnings from the officer to drop it, then yeah, you have what's coming to you.

But wtf at shooting the wrong person. Are they that poor of a shot or what?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Need more information here. Did the cop aim for the right person but miss? Was he confused? Was there a commotion between the 2 teenagers?

Kid with the gun needs to accept blame here.

I'm assuming the cop missed? But regardless no, the kid does not need to accept blame. At least not for the wrong person getting shot :(

CDX

The 15-year-old, who was not identified, was shot once in the upper back, while the person who had been holding the replica was not injured.

They didn't even shoot the "right" person

smh

*sigh* I'm sure the cops will come up with some excuse.

I'm quite interested to know wtf happened here.

So the cop ordered the kid to drop his fake gun, most likely while aiming a real gun at the kid.............and then what?

A) The kid thought "hmm let me point my fake gun at a guy holding an actual real gun at me". So the cop fired.......AT SOMEONE ELSE?

B)The kid was ordered to drop the weapon, didn't do so in a timely enough manner for the cops liking and the cop started firing.........AT SOMEONE ELSE? How??

C).the kid tried to run, so the cop fired as he ran.........well no, HE SHOT SOMEONE ELSE IN THE BACK??

America. What the actual fuck?

Vyroxis

Banned
Judging by the fact that the victim was shot high in the back I am guessing the police officer was behind the victim somewhat, and the one he was aiming at was on the other side. Aimed at what he thought was someone holding a real gun to another person, kid didn't drop the gun, cop just aimed a bit to low.

Pretty shitty situation all around.

J.ceaz

After Tamer Rice I figured we learned to not take police shooters words as gospel. I will never trust an officers account without video evidence.

750x422

Fifteen-year-old Jamar Nicholson was shot in the back early Tuesday morning while standing next to a person who was holding a replica weapon, police have said. He was unarmed.

During an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Jamar displayed a bandage across the upper right side of his back, showing where he was shot by an officer Tuesday morning.

The bullet remains lodged in his back, and narrowly missed his spine. Jamar knew his friend was carrying an airsoft gun, but had no idea whether his friend was pointing it in his direction, he said. The boys were walking their normal route to school, when he heard someone yell, “Freeze!”

Seconds later, he was shot.

Jamar said he didn’t even realize he’d been wounded until he’d fallen to the ground. An ambulance arrived 15 to 20 minutes later. He was hauled onto an gurney, handcuffed and then rushed to the hospital. Nicholson said his cuffs weren’t unlocked until his release, when a detective approached him.

Accoding to Jamar, the detective told him there had been a mistake and acknowledged Jamar had not committed any crime.

An LAPD captain apologized to Jamar’s mother, but the teen said he wants to hear that directly from the officer who shot him.

“I don’t want to see him again… but I do want that sorry,” he said.

Nearby residents who said they heard the gunshots told The Times that they did not hear officers issue a warning to drop a weapon. The department said multiple warnings were given before the shooting.

The officers involved, identified only as detectives with the Criminal Gang Homicide Bureau, were on their way to another investigation Tuesday morning when they glanced down an alley near 10th and Florence avenues and saw a group of young men. One was pointing a gun toward another.

The officers ordered the person to drop the gun and opened fire when he didn’t comply, Cmdr. Smith said. The teen holding the replica weapon was not hit, but Jamar, who was standing next to him, was struck.'

'The officers detained everyone present and concluded the group were friends. "No animus" was involved, according to Smith.

Capt. Peter Whittingham, commander of the Criminal Gang Homicide Unit where the officers work, said the officer was only attempting to save a life and scoffed at comparisons to other police shootings that have roiled communities across the country.

“In trying to save a life here, unfortunately the officer shot a youth.… I am very happy, as is the officer, that this wasn’t life-threatening,” said Whittingham, who has been critical of the department in the past. “I don’t want this compared to other shootings of young black men. This is not that situation here.”

Whittingham said three of the teenagers were African American and the fourth was Latino. He said the boy who was holding the replica gun turned toward the officer seconds before he opened fire.

“At that point, he turned toward the officer pointing the gun and now, in defense of his own life, feeling threatened, the officer fired,” Whittingham said.

After Tuesday's shooting, Smith said: "Don't let your children carry these guns, especially don't let them play with them outside. We could have had a fatal tragedy here. If an officer sees a gun and it looks real and the person who is holding it does not drop it, there is a realistic chance [the officer] will shoot."

The location of the incident, a narrow corridor populated by several young men, also likely made the officers more tense. Obayashi said the teens may not have been aware officers were shouting at them or were so shocked by the sight of police with guns that they simply didn’t know how to react to their commands.

“These teens may not be conscious of officers yelling at them. There is sometimes a moment of hesitation,” Obayashi said. “Psychologically, it is not uncommon for young people to be overwhelmed and freeze, and then a tragedy occurs.”

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-teen-shot-lapd-replica-guns-20150212-story.html#page=2

"After Tuesday's shooting, Smith said: "Don't let your children carry these guns, especially don't let them play with them outside. We could have had a fatal tragedy here. If an officer sees a gun and it looks real and the person who is holding it does not drop it, there is a realistic chance [the officer] will shoot."

Are they actually serious? "Sorry guys, you'll just have to deal with our incompetency!" They won't apologize.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
or, or, or, maybe the problem is that the cops are being militarized and not facing due justice for shooting random innocent people.

just a thought.

rest of the world

doesn't understand

rest of the world

you're right, the rest of the world doesn't understand

dabig2

As if we all don't already know that all 13 year old and up black boys/men are treated as enemy combatants by our increasingly militarized police - presumed gun or no gun on his person.

Skeyser

I'm quite interested to know wtf happened here.

So the cop ordered the kid to drop his fake gun, most likely while aiming a real gun at the kid.............and then what?

A) The kid thought "hmm let me point my fake gun at a guy holding an actual real gun at me". So the cop fired.......AT SOMEONE ELSE?

B)The kid was ordered to drop the weapon, didn't do so in a timely enough manner for the cops liking and the cop started firing.........AT SOMEONE ELSE? How??

C).the kid tried to run, so the cop fired as he ran.........well no, HE SHOT SOMEONE ELSE IN THE BACK??

America. What the actual fuck?

They missed, is that really so hard to figure?

I'm not excusing the officers here, but it seems pretty obvious how it could happen.

The LAPD aren't known for bring fantastic shots, guys.

They shot car up over 100 times mistakenly thinking it was Dorner's, and only hit the women inside a couple times.

PS. Those cops weren't fired and are still on the streets today.

Corgi

Banned
Capt. Peter Whittingham, commander of the Criminal Gang Homicide Unit where the officers work, said the officer was only attempting to save a life and scoffed at comparisons to other police shootings that have roiled communities across the country.

i'd argue this is even worse. Pretty much sayings its perfectly fine for friendly fire as long as black people are the intended target.

Nephtis

I'm glad the kid is safe

now let's make things even better by having the kid sue the LAPD for this bullshit. If we can't demands arrests for the piece of shit cops, they should at least pay out a million or two for their incompetence.

Ventara

Wasn't there a case where someone was charged for someone else's death because the cops who were shooting at him missed him and killed someone else? I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. In any case, nothing will happen to the cop. This will be seen as "justified."

I'm glad the kid is safe

now let's make things even better by having the kid sue the LAPD for this bullshit. If we can't demands arrests for the piece of shit cops, they should at least pay out a million or two for their incompetence.

Lawsuits seem to be the only way the police ever get punished in incidents like this. This kid was nearly paralyzed or worse he could be dead and and all he gets is a halfhearted apology. He has a bullet lodged in his back because a lot of mistakes were made. How many people have to die or get injured before someone actually takes this issue seriously.

royalan

If anything, this sad story should really highlight how completely reactionary, irrational, and emotion-based firing a weapon has become for police officers. That this officer couldn't even take the time not JUST to verify that he was looking at an actual firearm, but to even properly line up his shot while in the presence of innocent bystanders shows how ill-prepared he was to even have that weapon.

Police aren't receiving proper training for the firearms their being given by our government and receiving special protections and authority to use. That is a huge problem.

Wasn't there a case where someone was charged for someone else's death because the cops who were shooting at him missed him and killed someone else? I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. In any case, nothing will happen to the cop. This will be seen as "justified."

That was probably a "felony murder" case. Felony murder is this bullshit law that says if someone is committing a felony, they are responsible for any and all damage caused related to that crime, regardless of whether they directly caused the damage. So if a burglar is running from a cop, and while trying to shoot the burglar, the cop shoots an old lady by accident, the burglar is charged with the shooting. Gotta fill those private prisons somehow.

Yes their was a similar situation John Winkler was killed by police in Los Angeles after escaping a knife wielding guy but, was shot by police because they thought he was the killer and he was not. They charged the knife wielding guy with his death.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/los-ang...dentally-killing-tosh-0-production-assistant/

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The kid didn't comply so he got shot. Seems pretty clear cut to me.

Ignore the fact that it was physically impossible to comply since you cannot drop what you are not holding. Police: Comply immediately if you want to live, and even then only maybe.

Kettch

The bullet remains lodged in his back, and narrowly missed his spine. Jamar knew his friend was carrying an airsoft gun, but had no idea whether his friend was pointing it in his direction, he said. The boys were walking their normal route to school, when he heard someone yell, “Freeze!”

Seconds later, he was shot.

Nearby residents who said they heard the gunshots told The Times that they did not hear officers issue a warning to drop a weapon. The department said multiple warnings were given before the shooting.

Whittingham said three of the teenagers were African American and the fourth was Latino. He said the boy who was holding the replica gun turned toward the officer seconds before he opened fire.

“At that point, he turned toward the officer pointing the gun and now, in defense of his own life, feeling threatened, the officer fired,” Whittingham said.

This looks to be pretty much identical to the John Crawford Walmart shooting. In that video he's talking on the phone facing a different direction and you can see him turn toward the police just a moment before being shot. Obviously the officers there shouted their order, startled him and then killed him for turning their way.

If the kid in this case actually ignored an order that he was given time to understand, I'll eat my hat. Especially since the other kid was shot in the back, implying that he didn't have time to either turn around or move away from the gun holder.

Some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous. It's pretty clear the shooting officer missed. Life ain't a movie, you feel me? Real life, man, you miss. You miss all the fucking time.

I want to see a video, if there is one. I find it very very hard to believe in this day and age that somebody with an airsoft gun is going to ignore repeated requests to drop it by police. If it's anything like the Tamir Rice shooting, the cops showed up, said "FREEZE" and unloaded 2 seconds later.

This looks to be pretty much identical to the John Crawford Walmart shooting. In that video he's talking on the phone facing a different direction and you can see him turn toward the police just a moment before being shot. Obviously the officers there shouted their order, startled him and then killed him for turning their way.

Common sense and past incidents dictates this is what most likely happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom