• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles officer shoots boy, 15, after seeing replica gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
That this officer couldn't even take the time not JUST to verify that he was looking at an actual firearm

You realize that airsoft guns in most cases look like real guns right? Who in the right mind is going to risk having someone raise a gun at them and not pull the trigger, especially if you are an officer.

Shooting was justified if everything is reported is true, if there is to be outrage look at the Pasco story.

royalan

You realize that airsoft guns in most cases look like real guns right? Who in the right mind is going to risk having someone raise a gun at them and not pull the trigger, especially if you are an officer.

Shooting was justified if everything is reported is true, if there is to be outrage look at the Pasco story.

...the shooting of the kid not holding the gun was justified?

Also, the kid who was actually holding the fake gun wasn't aiming it at the officer.

So.

The kids are in a group joking with each other and playing with a toy gun. Of fucking course they wouldn't think cops are yelling at them. They're not doing anything wrong and in their mind they're not any kind of threat. They have a toy in hand, after all!

And this kid was shot in the back? So the officers didn't even wait for the victim to turn around or otherwise confirm that his orders were clear and heard by the people they were meant for?

Protip: If you've shot someone in the back, they probably didn't know you were speaking to them, officer. I want to see some proof that these kids even realized what was going on.

I see little reason to believe everything that has been reported is true. Looks to me like the kids didn't even know he was talking to them. In their own little world having fun with their friends. Shot in the back by a random cop thinking he's being a hero?

neoanarch

"Officers saw that individual pointing the firearm at another individual," a police statement said. "Officers ordered him to drop the weapon multiple times. The individual ignored the officer's commands and an officer-involved shooting occurred."

I may have been seeing too many crime dramas. But this sounds like a load of shit. It's like a line that the captain fed the shooter before he spoke to anyone else.

The LAPD, hell, the American police force, is fucking clown shoes. Reading about Capt. Peter Whittingham, I'm kinda surprised he'd be on the side of the officer on this, but maybe I shouldn't be.

This is the same Captain who sued the city for discrimination, apparently. Of course, it was also because he didn't believe officers brought before a Board of Hearing were guilty of misconduct, and was therefore subject to racist remarks. I don't know what to make of his stance on it, nor can I tell if he's biased toward his officers in most cases, but personally, the officer who shot Jamar is obviously guilty of misconduct in this case, and owes Jamar an apology. Then again, I think he should turn in his goddamn badge, but that won't happen, will it.

Syncytia

"Well... we haven't gone to the range since that whole black man mugshot thing in Florida. We had to get rid of all of ours."

I'm curious to know how close the kid holding the fake gun and the kid that got shot were, and how far away the officer was.

Not really sure about the kid having been shot in the back though. Surely if the officer actually told them to drop it the kid (even though he wasn't holding the fake gun) would've have turned around.

Dead Man

Some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous. It's pretty clear the shooting officer missed. Life ain't a movie, you feel me? Real life, man, you miss. You miss all the fucking time.

I want to see a video, if there is one. I find it very very hard to believe in this day and age that somebody with an airsoft gun is going to ignore repeated requests to drop it by police. If it's anything like the Tamir Rice shooting, the cops showed up, said "FREEZE" and unloaded 2 seconds later.

Common sense and past incidents dictates this is what most likely happened.
Said everything I wanted to say.

DiscoJer

IMHO, a bit part of the problem today is that there is hysteria today over guns.

A person holding a gun shouldn't automatically assumed to be a crazed killer, a target for police to shoot down. Only when they actually use a gun should they be considered dangerous.

Whatever you think about guns, there are a lot of them in this country, and even more toy guns. They are a part of life. Police need to act like it. And citizens too. Like that dumbass that called the police over the guy with the toy gun in Wal-Mart.

Speaking of the Wal Mart shooting, whatever happened to the caller? Didn't he make most of what he claimed up or grossly exaggerate? Was he charged?

"Well... we haven't gone to the range since that whole black man mugshot thing in Florida. We had to get rid of all of ours."

I'm curious to know how close the kid holding the fake gun and the kid that got shot were, and how far away the officer was.

They never said how close together the kids were but, the officers were 20 or less feet away when they shot the kid in the back.

Not really sure about the kid having been shot in the back though. Surely if the officer actually told them to drop it the kid (even though he wasn't holding the fake gun) would've have turned around.

The whole incident sounds messed up. The police assumed the worst because they saw 3 black kids and a Hispanic kid and one of the kids had a bb gun which they thought was a real gun. I am gonna assume the police snuck up on the kids with their guns drawn and in the process of yelling whatever shot one of them in the back after startling them.

Alx

I suppose the cop was a bad shot, if he didn't hit the right person... but then it should make him reconsider his strategy in such situations, if his action could become dangerous for the person he's supposed to protect.

Joni

A person holding a gun shouldn't automatically assumed to be a crazed killer, a target for police to shoot down. Only when they actually use a gun should they be considered dangerous.
A person holding a gun pointing it at another person refusing to drop it when ordered to do so, supposing they gave the orders. This would have been a very justifiable case of a police shooting. If they hadn't shot the wrong kid ... But yes, gun culture is a huge part of it and it won't improve without changes to that culture. It is hard to make a distinction between a psycho walking into a bank and someone demonstrating his constitutional rights doing the same before someone gets hurt.

He shot at someone holding a fake gun, but hit someone who was also innocent on accident, so lets not get rid of him, he simply made an almost deadly mistake. He can absolutely be trusted with his firearm.

subrock

Kids wants an apology? Kid should sue the shit out of the LAPD. If I was a personal injury lawyer I would be knocking on doors trying to find where this kids lives.

The only rational explanation I see is that the cop is such a lousy shot that he aimed at the one with a replica, and managed to hit the other guy.

Deliberate of accidental, I'm not sure which is the most scary.

Still, what the hell are you US citizens waiting for? Sue the airsoft and toy companies and demand that all fake guns be entirly made of flashy-colored plastic and non-realistic shapes. How many more tragedies are you going to see before you act?

Rembrandt

Banned
The only rational explanation I see is that the cop is such a lousy shot that he aimed at the one with a replica, and managed to hit the other guy.

Deliberate of accidental, I'm not sure which is the most scary.

Still, what the hell are you US citizens waiting for? Sue the airsoft and toy companies and demand that all fake guns be entirly made of flashy-colored plastic and non-realistic shapes. How many more tragedies are you going to see before you act?

gotta have more cops shoot white kids first.

Kids wants an apology? Kid should sue the shit out of the LAPD. If I was a personal injury lawyer I would be knocking on doors trying to find where this kids lives.

The lawsuit is probably coming it'll be the only type of justice he will even see for having been shot for no reason.

Speaking of the Wal Mart shooting, whatever happened to the caller? Didn't he make most of what he claimed up or grossly exaggerate? Was he charged?

No he's still free and still making hilmself look like a fool even more by the day evidence in this article

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/02/911-caller-says-john-crawford-deserved-it/

to add something sad to this story John Crawford's girlfriend died on new years day in a car accident. The same one the cops interrogated for 90 minutes about where john crawford got his gun.

aliengmr

So a couple of kids are messing with a toy gun, (not a best idea these days, but so be it) they are approached by police, (weapons drawn I assume) the kids are asked several times to drop the weapon. Now, at this point these kids, for whatever reason, decided to ignore an officer pointing a gun at them, one of the kids decides to not even turn around.

Something isn't adding up.

About guns, I get that police fear the guns all over this country, but they ought to be the loudest voices calling for stricter gun control, and they aren't. Seems to me they aren't that scared.

AxelFoley

Really, dude?

First, you take what the police report at face value?

Second, they shot the kid who didn't have a gun on him.

C'mon, man.

AxelFoley

So a couple of kids are messing with a toy gun, (not a best idea these days, but so be it) they are approached by police, (weapons drawn I assume) the kids are asked several times to drop the weapon. Now, at this point these kids, for whatever reason, decided to ignore an officer pointing a gun at them, one of the kids decides to not even turn around.

Something isn't adding up.

About guns, I get that police fear the guns all over this country, but they ought to be the loudest voices calling for stricter gun control, and they aren't. Seems to me they aren't that scared.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom