• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Losing abilities in sequels

Metroid is the perfect example of this (though they justify it in the lore / story)

Has there been a game where all abilities are added into the sequel?

What are clever ways sequels have justify an ability or feature not in the game.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
In God of War II, Kratos gets tricked into draining his power into the Blade of Olympus, losing them in the process.

In God of War III, early in the game, Kratos gets attacked by creatures in the Styx River who drain his powers.

God of War Ascension is a prequel to the first game.

God of War 2018 takes place perhaps centuries after God of War III and Kratos left his old life and all his tools behind.

God of War Ragnarok says Fimbulvetr is so harsh that most items lost their powers.

Last edited:
Maybe Middle Earth Shadow of War? I remember the game starting with a ton of skills from the previous game
What are clever ways sequels have justify an ability or feature not in the game.

Little Big Adventure 1 - Twinsen gave most of his magic items to a museum. In fact, you have to go there to get some back

Mega Man X6 - The game begins with Alia saying that they didn't have enough time to assemble all the parts of your armor, so you have to use a limited version...

Last edited:
In God of War II, Kratos gets tricked into draining his power into the Blade of Olympus, losing them in the process.

In God of War III, early in the game, Kratos gets attacked by creatures in the Styx River who drain his powers.

God of War Ascension is a prequel to the first game.

God of War 2018 takes place perhaps centuries after God of War III and Kratos left his old life and all his tools behind.

God of War Ragnarok says Fimbulvetr is so harsh that most items lost their powers.
Yeah gow is one of the few series that manages it well.

In bayonetta 3 you start off with some abilities that were upgrades in the previous games, I believe jedi survivor also starts you off with a whole bunch of legacy skills.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Jedi Survivor is the latest example I can think of.

In bayonetta 3 you start off with some abilities that were upgrades in the previous games

Bayonetta kind handles losing abiltieis pretty well.
In each game you are playing an alternate universe Bayonetta, which is why the frikken Lightsaber from Bayonetta 1 isnt what she starts with in Bayo 2 or 3....cuz why would you use anything else when you have a lightsaber or Tonfas that fire rockets.

ahtlas7

It’s the Nintendo way.
Start off with most or all your abilities.
Magically loose most of them.
Spend the next 30-40 hours regaining them.
bank the $$$$

You start off with near enough everything you learned from the first game in Jedi Survivor.
In GOW 2018, some of the special moves you unlocked become your basic moves in the sequel, GOW Ragnarok. I think some of the moves arent even listed because its assumed you played the first game.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Banjo-Tooie, you start off with every ability from the first game. You then unlock new abilities throughout the game. It creates a bloated move set IMO.

Soodanim

Ratchet & Clank 1 had some upgrades that were already active in 2, like the helicopter/jet Clank and IIRC an underwater ability.

TheAssist

I dont understand why some people want you to start the way you left the previous game. Not everyone has played the previous game or it has been years. You cant just give people this much choice without easing them in. Its bad for gameplay, bad for onboarding and bad for later progression, since you than probably wont have anything to unlock for a long while or you end up with way too much stuff and it gets confusing or a lot of the abilities end up never being used.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Jedi Survivor retains all of the abilities from the previous game if I remember correctly, and just adds a bunch of new ones instead.

Mr Blobby

In Baldur's Gate 2 you start off level 10 or something. But you're held captive and I think being drained of your power? Been a while.

Filben

Soul Reaver 2. Raziel learns in the first game to use his claws to climb, survive with his physical body in water, phase through fences, to use the Soul Reaver. And he keeps all that for the sequel.

Top Bottom