• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.17/18/18.5: "The End" (Everything Else Was Just Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
infinityBCRT said:
I think both things were a threat. We definitely know the cork being left uncorked would have ended everything as it was stated by Jacob, Widmore and Hawking. And even the mother (I think).

In terms of Jacob, he had a lot of "reasons" to prevent MiB from leaving:
- he eventually realized that his mom was also smokey and saw the destruction she did to the people MiB lived with
- felt guilty about what he did to MiB and wanted to make it up to him
- was a momma's boy and mom said they can't leave
- and over time he saw what Smokey did to the people who came (such as the people on the Black Rock)

Once Jacob died, the losties had more than enough reasons to kill MiB. They saw the destruction that he did. His actions resulted in hundreds of deaths on the Island. And they wanted revenge. "We have to kill him Jack" is what Kate said after it hit her that MiB orphaned Ji Yeon. That was more than enough reason to not let him leave.

I definitely agree with the bolded, I don't think there is any questioning as to why the Losties would kill MiB. Thats not what I'm arguing against at all.

I mainly was speaking about the overall importance of the protector/island/cork/valenzetti equation....basically, the "point" of Jacobs role.

51qyx4.jpg

Solo

RichardAM said:
Last year apparently. I don't think that makes it any less poignant though.

Plus it made me smile loads. :lol

Cant be last year.

1. Its the dock set from the S2 finale.
2. You can see Michael in the background.
3. You can see Alex dressed like she was in that scene.
4. Jack has a shaved head.
5. Thats what Hurley was wearing in the scene.

Thats where my April 2006 estimate comes from.

gdt

RichardAM said:
Last year apparently. I don't think that makes it any less poignant though.

Plus it made me smile loads. :lol

Nope, that picture was taken during filming of the S2 finale. You can see Michael in the background, and he and Hurley have those same clothes. Also you can see Alex on the boardwalk.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Igoritza said:
I dont like the theory where smokey hates humanity, and presents a danger to the world.

as we saw in "across the sea" - he was actually the one that wanted to be with the people, he was the one wanting to leave the island to BE with the people, and "other mother" and Jacob didnt want that.

i cant put my finger on that one, and make any sense out of it.

Mother lied to them, manipulated them both, lied even about people on the island, and when Nemesis made friends, got to be a people's person - she shattered that dream, killing his folks.

Island at the time already had a protector, and a successor (Jacob) so there was really no need to keep MiB around. she was evil, she was a danger to the people, and the boy himself was a pure hearted one, and with good intentions.

so, this is my theory -

Island and the light, do not want to preserve the island - for the sake of the world, light wants to preserve itself - for the sake of itself.

im basing that on the fact that Jacob's actions led to evil and death as much as did Nemesis'es. Illana for example. oh, and - few lives, as a collateral - Nemesis did that, no different than the mother. and, i found him to be sincere when speaking of that, in Locke's form, more than Jacob's rumblings (he is worse than Yoda reference)

he should have a knowledge about the light as much as Jacob, maybe even more, because Jacobs power source is the damn wine, Nemesis was the one to be converted at the source of the light.
Did you see my post from yesterday?

Quoting it again:
Jocchan said:
Also, strong EM fields (not exactly the Casimir effect) have been used to explain teleportation/time travel before.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Having fun with Choose Your Own LOST Answers, yeah, exactly as it sounds.

Why did the Smoke Monster kill Mr. Eko?
The Smoke Monster judged him for all of the choices he’d made.

The Monster judged Mr. Eko to be bad and killed him as punishment.
OR
The Monster judged Mr. Eko to be good and killed him in order to rid the island of a possible ally of Jacob.

The latter answer I can honestly say i've never considered. Frank being a candidate is a good one to check out too. :lol

JGS

Banned
Liara T'Soni said:
I definitely agree with the bolded, I don't think there is any questioning as to why the Losties would kill MiB. Thats not what I'm arguing against at all.

I mainly was speaking about the overall importance of the protector/island/cork/valenzetti equation....basically, the "point" of Jacobs role.
It depends on whether you believe the Island protected the whole planet or not.

I'm leaning in the camp that says yes since the writers presented it that way.

If this is the case, then Jacob's role was the most important on the planet.

If not, then his role is still important from a local perspective, kind of like a mayor.

bud said:
if unplugging the cork made mib lose his powers and thus become mortal, then would it really matter if he got off the island?

It's been said, but it matters for one importan reason- vengeance and justice owed to the guy that killed/tried to kill all of your friends.

It seemed pretty clear that was the primary reason Jack went after him. He had a promise to keep to Smokey and it was his primary role as the protector (EDIT- plus plugging back the hole). Also, he was the one with the transportation off the Island blowing up. He probably wouldn't have shared.

Nameless

Drealmcc0y said:
quote on facebook:

not happy with ending. How did Sawyer, Kate Ben and Hurley die? Desmond too? I didn't get any answers...WTF? What happened to the time travel shit? What was Widmores deal/the polar bears? nothing was answered. Glad everyone got together in the end but, no I don't want to leave it to interpretation...

:lol

Darlton need to put out an Enhanced version with the explanations scrolling right through the middle of the screen, ASAP

JGS said:
bud said:
if unplugging the cork made mib lose his powers and thus become mortal, then would it really matter if he got off the island?
It's been said, but it matters for one importan reason- vengeance and justice owed to the guy that killed/tried to kill all of your friends.

It seemed pretty clear that was the primary reason Jack went after him. He had a promise to keep to Smokey and it was his primary role as the protector (EDIT- plus plugging back the hole). Also, he was the one with the transportation off the Island blowing up. He probably wouldn't have shared.
Also, they had to plug the cork back in (so the world didn't implode) which restored powers to the Island and everyone who had them (Ben, Hurley, Jack, Desmond, Smokey-- if he lived).

KevinCow

Banned
RichardAM said:
Having fun with Choose Your Own LOST Answers, yeah, exactly as it sounds.

The latter answer I can honestly say i've never considered. Frank being a candidate is a good one to check out too. :lol

Why Polar Bears?

The DHARMA Initiative was attempting to genetically modify the bears to allow them to survive in warmer climates. Clearly. The reason they were attempting to do this was

to begin preparation for a later stage of the DHARMA Initiative’s master plan, which involved a rather elaborate military takeover of most of Latin America via a large contingent of armored polar bears.

Little known fact: children’s author Philip Pullman was a member of the DHARMA Initiative until he dropped out to write the His Dark Materials trilogy. His character Iorek Byrnison was pretty much just a rip off of this plan.

MYSTERY SOLVED

:lol

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
You guys need to stop arguing with people who have no interest in hearing what you have to say.:lol It's over. Put them on your ignore list. Let it go, kiddo.

Nameless

SpeedingUptoStop said:
You guys need to stop arguing with people who have no interest in hearing what you have to say.:lol It's over. Put them on your ignore list. Let it go, kiddo.

When this thread get's to the 4th page you'll never see me with a LOST avatar again.

Igoritza

Banned
@ Jocchan - i saw it but i forgot to reply, my bad.

Casimir effect stands as a paradox, with the outcome defying known Quantum mechanics. energy that results in Casimir effect refills itself, and it can only be theorized from where that energy comes from.

someone says it comes from alternate universe (not the theory im fond of), some one says that Standard model is wrong (CERN LHC should confirm/diss that) but the fact remains - the effect produces infinite energy.

usage of the effect itself propagates this:

as i stated before, everything in universe is union of fields. Vacuum itself acts like a quanum field, having all the matter properties: Spin, polarization.

so, in order to create a working wormhole, you need exotic matter, with negative energy (theorized, not proven to exist)

so, casimir effect should do the following: interact with the vacuum, at the borders of the wormhole, canceling out gravity creating a mass negative area, which would then hold the wormhole stable.

to implement that idea in the LOST show is kind of .. out there. a working wormhole is nothing like in Stargate - there would be a lots of collateral damage, meaning that the wormhole would bend space as in it's self (to allow the FTL) so as from the outside.

a working wormhole, in theory, should only be made in space, where it cant affect other stuff. but then again - lost island is magical.

------------------------------------------------------

I myself am an Agnostic theist - i believe in god, but i do not believe in religion, or for that matter - any kind of knowledge about god, cause he did not provide one (with exception of disputable historical Jesus, and other prophets. )

so, in my mind - everything in the world is created with an intention, and the universe is fine tunned for the existence of life. finally - science meets god. so, i believe the following:

1. he invented time space continuum, limiting us from our default existence - which is out of that borders, but we are not able to comprehend it, cause everything we know is defined by the space-time.

2. there could be no time travel, except for forward. paradoxes are the boundaries for that.

3. if the magic and miracles exist, and can be performed - they are governed by the laws of the universe, and they meet with science at a certain point.

so, yeah, these beliefs made hard for me to not question everything that happened in lost. i really dont like the idea of a show playing with laws of physics, relying on the fact that people do not know them.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I see what you mean, but it's a TV show dealing with something that doesn't exist.
They used a theory that sort of makes sense (even though it can't really be experimented with on Earth), backed up by some astrophysicists (so it's not just using obscure terms to fool unaware people). Would you also criticize how a flux capacitor charged with 1.21 GW can't send a DeLorean running at 88 MPH back to the future? Yes, you can, but it doesn't mean it makes sense to.

Burli

Pringo
I just watched the Finale.

I thought it was perfect. I'm not a very emotional person but I shed tears multiple times.

I think what this finale did best was bring back the friendship and love between everyone, especially with the line that 'the most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people' line - it solidifies that the best and most important thing about LOST was the characters and their relationships.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that everything was handled perfectly - and will leave a really long impression on everyone that watched and appreciated it. The finale made all the waiting, questions and frustration worth it - because it really homed in on what mattered.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Burli said:
The more I think about it, the more I believe that everything was handled perfectly - and will leave a really long impression on everyone that watched and appreciated it.
Unfortunately, people are dumb. They believe everyone was dead the whole time, and are bitter because they didn't explain the polar bears.

Jocchan said:
Unfortunately, people are dumb. They believe everyone was dead the whole time, and are bitter because they didn't explain the polar bears.
I'm still anxious to hear what my brother thinks. He and his wife were super confused going into Season 6. I remember before the season started just telling them to let go of the questions because its going to be about the journey of these characters and they were really frustrated at me saying that.

Lumine

Insulting people because they have a different opinion. Yeah this is GAF alright. The ending sucked. It was very enjoyable of course, hell it was an emotional rollercoaster for most fans including myself. That said, story wise I found it aweful and unsatisfying. I think watching the pre-finale made me realize this best. Lost's strengths came mostly from the excellent casting and fitting soundtrack. I agree with Jin's/Daniel Dae Kim's sentiments that the the first season was the best. None of the mystery was explained and didn't need to be yet which made it all the more "tantalizing." The characters were more interesting as well as we had yet to be introduced to them. Don't get me wrong, I loved Lost most of the time and I can't wait to rewatch it all some time soon. The ending still sucked though.

Nameless

Solo said:
Beat you to the punch

If you want to use destiny to avenge yourself, Solo, it's fine by me. There is no way the Godhawks lose to to the Cryers. . So if the person responsible for forcing a Lost-GAF bro to A. Spread sickening BS Philly propaganda. and B. Blaspheme the greatest show ever, is up for an Avatar bet I'll be his huckleberry.

And Saturday night when the Philadelphia Flyers come to the United Center...we're gonna blow'em all to hell..

yacobod

Banned
Nameless said:
If you want to use destiny to avenge yourself, Solo, it's fine by me. There is no way the Godhawks lose to to the Cryers. . So if the person responsible for forcing a Lost-GAF bro to A. Spread sickening BS Philly propaganda. and B. Blaspheme the greatest show ever, is up for an Avatar bet I'll be his huckleberry.

And Saturday night when the Philadelphia Flyers come to the United Center...we're gonna blow'em all to hell..

might need a big bufffffffffffffffffffffffffffff avatar, game winning goal scoring machine

Nameless

yacobod said:
might need a big bufffffffffffffffffffffffffffff avatar, game winning goal scoring machine

I like to call Byfuglien "Dustin [insert deragatory term]"

Dustin Bastards
Dustin Motherfuckets
Dustin Shit Flyers Players

etc.

:D

Zeliard

I haven't put that much time into Alan Wake yet but it's impossible to play that game without thinking of Lost. :p

We need a (good) Lost adventure game, dammit.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Mash triangle to crawl your way through the microwave electromagnetic chamber.

InaudibleWhispa said:

The chest bump story Jorge told on the latest GJB podcast fucking killed me picturing it in my head.

Also, I convinced myself that the Blu-Ray S5 DHARMA Orientation kit was the perfect tide-me-over until the Complete Series so I got it.

No fifth patch but FINALLY. LOST ON BLU FOR ME.

:D

Lumine said:
Insulting people because they have a different opinion. Yeah this is GAF alright. The ending sucked. It was very enjoyable of course, hell it was an emotional rollercoaster for most fans including myself. That said, story wise I found it aweful and unsatisfying. I think watching the pre-finale made me realize this best. Lost's strengths came mostly from the excellent casting and fitting soundtrack. I agree with Jin's/Daniel Dae Kim's sentiments that the the first season was the best. None of the mystery was explained and didn't need to be yet which made it all the more "tantalizing." The characters were more interesting as well as we had yet to be introduced to them. Don't get me wrong, I loved Lost most of the time and I can't wait to rewatch it all some time soon. The ending still sucked though.

Pot, kettle, etc.

Streaks

Anyone know if the blu-ray copies can be watched on normal dvd players as well? I know some Blu-ray movies are dual discs but I'm not sure about Lost.

infinityBCRT said:
I love that the people who actually care about the show (Fox, Garcia, Emmerson, O'Quinn) were the ones who ended up being the most important characters throughout the series. I don't know if they got lucky or if they ended up leaving the big roles open and then started filling them in with people they liked (we do know this happened with Ben). Imagine if Fox decided after 3 seasons that he wanted to be paid 5 times as much for the final 3 seasons? *cough*Eko*cough*
I am so glad they did that.

The ending was fantastic. People who are disappointed with the ending seem to be the people who wanted more answers. My question is, what the fuck do answers have anything to do with the actual ending itself? Yeah, the show is about the characters and I don't want to keep drilling that into people's skulls, but I have to bring that up because the ending focused on the characters. Answers have nothing to do with the way the overall story wraps up. The answers we got came before the ending, but the finale combined with the last 3 or 4 episodes painted a clearer picture of what's going on on the island and a better understanding of its power.

I'm just curious as to how people can slam the actual ending itself over this. Were the performances bad? Was the dialogue bad? Editing? Camerawork? What about the ending sucks, exactly? When I see people bashing the ending, I think of pretty much from the point where Jack and Kate arrive at the church, to the very last shot. I'm just really confused about what part of any of that could possibly be considered bad. It wasn't a cop out. It wasn't all a dream. They weren't dead the whole time. Just trying to understand how the ending was bad. You can be disappointed with the lack of answers, you can be disappointed that certain things that you personally needed to happen didn't happen, but let's face it, none of us knew where it was going to go. No one guessed the ending at all. I can't think of a single thing about the ending that was actually lacking, from either a technical or emotional standpoint.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I hope we get to see a shit load of deleted scenes on the DVD. It's almost like every couple of weeks we hear one of the actors (usually Jorge) describe an awesome/insightful scene that ends up getting cut.

That Miles/Hurley scene (with the two of them discussing Juliet's final "it worked" message) would've been pretty neat to see.

gdt

Catalix said:
I hope we get to see a shit load of deleted scenes on the DVD. It's almost like every couple of weeks we hear one of the actors (usually Jorge) describe an awesome/insightful scene that ends up getting cut.

That Miles/Hurley scene (with the two of them discussing Juliet's final "it worked" message) would've been pretty neat to see.

What's this?

Dead

well not really...yet
Catalix said:

God. Just the thoght that they cut a Miles scene out of an episode... :(

Just imagine, there could perhaps be tons of Lapidus cut scenes :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom