• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost San Diego dog walks 35 miles over 9 days to return home

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Got lost chasing rabbits in a canyon park.

TkOtHX7.jpg

theincrediblejourney196.jpg

http://www.examiner.com/article/dog-walks-9-days-to-get-back-home-after-getting-lost-san-diego
An 8-year-old Shar Pei mix named Georgia made an incredible 35-mile trek to her Carlsbad, Calif., home after getting lost nine days earlier in a park.

Owner Kris Anderson told the San Diego Union-Tribune the dog simply got lost chasing after some rabbits on June 27 at the Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve and after hours of fruitless searching she was told by authorities the animal probably wouldn't survive in the coyote-filled region.

Anderson never gave up hope and continued to visit the area in search of Georgia. But the canine gave her an amazing surprise Monday morning when she walked into their house 35 miles away and woke up her owner who was sleeping in her bed.
Rescue if old.

EDIT: fun fact, this is giving me déjà vu for some reason

Mashing

Now this is the kind of story I want to read about before going to bed, not creatures from hell (aka, the deep sea). ;)

maomaoIYP

Man, that incredible instinct to get home. Does anyone have an idea on how it found its way home? By tracing the smell of the car?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sharp peis are assholes. As soon as it puts some weight on it'll be back to biting mailmen and mauling toddlers.

The original's poster is in the OP, so yeah, we remember the movies. The real dog is pretty cool for making it all alone, too. Makes me want to watch them again.

Oh shit lmao i didn't even realize that was the original. I guess even I'm not old enough to remember the original ones. I just remember the ones from the 90's.

DOWN

Banned
Oh shit lmao i didn't even realize that was the original. I guess even I'm not old enough to remember the original ones. I just remember the ones from the 90's.
I'm only 22 so I saw the one you posted first actually, but if you look you can see both are by Disney, and the remake is called Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey, which is taken from the original's title shown in the OP poster, The Incredible Journey.

Toa TAK

Banned
I loved that book as a kid. Movie (remake), too.

Great story, really happy that the owner put the effort to find her dog again. This is sorta a cautionary tale for some of us who know better than to keep our dogs off their leash.

It's pretty incredible the dog found her way home. Feel good story of the day.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I had a cat that came home after 3 weeks. I wonder what her adventure was like. And she had no claws!

Well statistically she spent it under a deck less than 50 yards from your house eating bugs and garbage. Or was briefly adopted by an old lady who fed her rabbit stew every night.

An adventure indeed!

So while that's a great story, it's got a long way to go to touch the champ

Bobbie the Wonder Dog

Bobbie_the_Wonder_Dog.jpg

In 1923, while on a family road trip in Indiana, Bobbie—a two-year-old Scotch Collie/English Shepherd mix—was separated from his owners and lost. After an exhaustive search the broken-hearted family returned to their home in Oregon never expecting to see their beloved dog again. Six months later, Bobbie appeared on their doorstep mangy and scrawny with feet worn to the bone; he showed all the signs of having walked the entire way back alone.[2]

During his ordeal he crossed 2,551 miles (4,105 km) of plains, desert and mountains in the winter to return home, an average of approximately 14 miles (23 km) per day. After his return to Silverton, he experienced a meteoric rise to fame. He was the subject of newspaper articles including Ripley's Believe It or Not!, books and film.[2][3] Bobbie played himself in the 1924 silent film The Call of the West.[2][4] He received hundreds of letters from people around the world and was honored with a jewel-studded harness and collar, ribbons and keys to cities.[2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom