• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Winds (WiiWare) = instabuy

stewacide

Just finished in one sitting (game save says 4h even). Great game, beautiful atmospheric and lots of fun... except I'm really disappointed now it wasn't developed as a full-length disc release.

There's nothing about the game that makes me think it will benefit from being episodic. Are we going to have to go through a tutorial with every episode? Are we going to lose all our powers all over again? Are the textures and music going to be as repetitive?

Its a good thing this thread poped up again. I have spent almost a full half hour looking for the abandoned village. Directions please : )

This game really needed a map.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
magiustra said:
I love the idea of having a "real" collection of my WiiWare games :)
that's a lot of 64MB SD cards, pal : )

cool cover, but it's not quite canonic - that art is not even in this episode.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Its a good thing this thread poped up again. I have spent almost a full half hour looking for the abandoned village. Directions please : )

the whole callenge of the game was built around orientation, you weaksaucers.

nli10

Gamer @ Heart said:

If i'd had a map the game would have been over in under 2 hours. It was disappointing enough as it was without being even easier!

I felt like I'd paid for the intro/ tutorial level of a really great game that I'll have to wait a good while to see any more of and be forced to pay full entry fee again. If the next 2 1/2 hours are 1,000 points i'm not sure I'll bother. Double the length of the next bit or halve the price and you have a sale.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So, hi. I finally downloaded this game last night, and I'm really enjoying it!

But I'm having trouble getting to the last Shrine. I know it's in Wither Falls and where that is, but all the passageways past Dao are completely barricaded off with big thick walls that you can't smash with anything. I don't know what to do to get rid of them.

Could this be a bug? (I went and did
the "Old Village" Shrine immediately after the "Wind Vortex" Shrine,
without talking to Dao inbetween them... Could that have caused a problem which I can now not get past?)

blu

SovanJedi said:
So, hi. I finally downloaded this game last night, and I'm really enjoying it!
well, it's an enjoyable game ; )

But I'm having trouble getting to the last Shrine. I know it's in Wither Falls and where that is, but all the passageways past Dao are completely barricaded off with big thick walls that you can't smash with anything. I don't know what to do to get rid of them.

Could this be a bug? (I went and did
the "Old Village" Shrine immediately after the "Wind Vortex" Shrine,
without talking to Dao inbetween them... Could that have caused a problem which I can now not get past?)
i think you sequence-broke (yeah, i know it's rather trivial for one, but still that's technically what it is), and now you're stuck. use your last save or heck, start from scratch - the game is worth it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think I may commit sacrilege against my fanhood and buy this instead of FFCC when I get some points. :/

Tell me I'm making the right choice, as AC is one of my favorite series. <3

blu

Andrex said:
I think I may commit sacrilege against my fanhood and buy this instead of FFCC when I get some points. :/

Tell me I'm making the right choice, as AC is one of my favorite series. <3
while both games are straight-A titles provinding some very fresh, scratch that, outright unique experiences, i still value more LW as that takes a genre older than most gaffers and does things to it even nintendo did not envision in their infinite platforming wisdom. MLAAK, OTOH, is something clearly original in the FFCC series, but relies on some very primitive draw-ins, which share their roots with a spreadsheet processor ; )

agrajag

Banned
uh, can someone plz tell me how to defeat that rock boss at the end? I tried nothing and I'm about to give up!1

no rly, can someone help me please?

blu

agrajag said:
uh, can someone plz tell me how to defeat that rock boss at the end? I tried nothing and I'm about to give up!1

no rly, can someone help me please?
fire, uproot, repeat.

Fireblend

Banned
This game is awesome. I have been playing it lately, the concept's great. It's like Klonoa's and Okami's bastard child.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
blu said:
while both games are straight-A titles provinding some very fresh, scratch that, outright unique experiences, i still value more LW as that takes a genre older than most gaffers and does things to it even nintendo did not envision in their infinite platforming wisdom

Wat?

C'mon, it's a charming and enjoyable little game and I'm glad I've supported these guys even if it's not meaty enough: I don't mind the supposed shorteness but it lacks any kind of challenge and I hate that. All the platforming/gameplay mechanic in the game is basically Kirby Canvas Curse with a (so little) twist. Mind you, it's not bad since CC was a great game (also with a disturbing lack of challenge in the main game, thank god for the TAs) and still is one of the best examples of what the DS tech can do in terms of innovation.

So no, sorry but it does NOT "do things to it even nintendo did not envision in their infinite platforming wisdom".

blu

Dash Kappei said:
Wat?

C'mon, it's a charming and enjoyable little game and I'm glad I've supported these guys even if it's not meaty enough: I don't mind the supposed shorteness but it lacks any kind of challenge and I hate that. All the platforming/gameplay mechanic in the game is basically Kirby Canvas Curse with a (so little) twist. Mind you, it's not bad since CC was a great game (also with a disturbing lack of challenge in the main game, thank god for the TAs) and still is one of the best examples of what the DS tech can do in terms of innovation.

So no, sorry but it does NOT "do things to it even nintendo did not envision in their infinite platforming wisdom".
i'm afraid you may have misread my post somewhat. at least i don't think i used the world 'challenge' in it. probably because i did not mean to touch on the subject. my post was entirely about design innovation, and how LW outshines nintendo's repertoire there.

point being, i find the control mechanics in LW way more innovative, _and_ refined, than nintendo's last take at platforming, SMG. please, bear in mind i'm speaking of the control mechanics here, not 'length', 'variety', 'value-per-dollar', or any other rationale people tend to use to define their satisfaction with a game.

the concept of a clumsy protagonist and a very agile aide force is not new, but in LW the synergetics between those two is superb. enril-toku interactions simply cream SMG's 'eureka! how did we not figure this out earlier?! though shalt use the ir to point at stars and shoot them back!'. for all its praise, SMG was just the next iteration of SM64 - played like it, felt like it. i mean, if you consider LW to be 'basically Kirby Canvas Curse' (which, btw, plays entirely with pointer controls), then you surely should agree that SMG does not move one inch from the beaten SM64 control scheme. agree?

as to why i'm sticking so vigorously to control mechanics? i guess in my rusty mind i'm still associating those with the bread-n-butter of good platformers.

to sum it up:
is LW the best platformer ATM? - no at all.
does it show what platformers have been missing for the past few generations? - yep.

i hope i've left less room for misunderstanding now.

agrajag

Banned
I'm sorry, but while SMG's star grabbing/shooting mechanic may be not as innovative, and not even necessary for core gameplay, but it is infinitely more fun. Just my opinion though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
blu said:
i'm afraid you may have misread my post somewhat. at least i don't think i used the world 'challenge' in it. probably because i did not mean to touch on the subject. my post was entirely about design innovation, and how LW outshines nintendo's repertoire there.

point being, i find the control mechanics in LW way more innovative, _and_ refined, than nintendo's last take at platforming, SMG. please, bear in mind i'm speaking of the control mechanics here, not 'length', 'variety', 'value-per-dollar', or any other rationale people tend to use to define their satisfaction with a game.

the concept of a clumsy protagonist and a very agile aide force is not new, but in LW the synergetics between those two is superb. enril-toku interactions simply cream SMG's 'eureka! how did we not figure this out earlier?! though shalt use the ir to point at stars and shoot them back!'. for all its praise, SMG was just the next iteration of SM64 - played like it, felt like it. i mean, if you consider LW to be 'basically Kirby Canvas Curse' (which, btw, plays entirely with pointer controls), then you surely should agree that SMG does not move one inch from the beaten SM64 control scheme. agree?

as to why i'm sticking so vigorously to control mechanics? i guess in my rusty mind i'm still associating those with the bread-n-butter of good platformers.

to sum it up:
is LW the best platformer ATM? - no at all.
does it show what platformers have been missing for the past few generations? - yep.

i hope i've left less room for misunderstanding now.

I'm sorry but it seems you're the one who's misunderstanding here.
Speaking about the lack of challenge was just to make clear what was one of the problems I have with the game: I was just saying what ruined a bit the game for me, I've never said it was something you've written about (otherwise going by this logic I should argue that I've never spoke about SMG being or not being just the next iteration of Mario64)?!
The point of my post was about the sentence I've quoted from you, that supposedly LW's "take on the genre does things to it even nintendo did not envision in their infinite platforming wisdom".
As I've already said:
"All the platforming/gameplay mechanic in the game is basically Kirby Canvas Curse with a (so little) twist. Mind you, it's not bad since CC was a great game"
So there, again, there's no point speaking about how LW control mechanic is way more innovative than what Nintendo has ever envisioned within the genre when they've already refined the exact same gameplay mechanic as LW, also more than three years ago, with Canvas Course. You know, CC's stylo = LW pointer.
Dunno why from there you've gone on a tangent speaking about challenge, value per money and so on, those things don't have much to do with control mechanics :)

Going way offtopic here but just to give you a quick answer: No, I don't think at all that Mario Galaxy is just the next Mario 64 iteration, Mario Sunshine was. Galaxy is a very different game. And Thank God for that :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wow I just downloaded this and I must say it's beautiful, especially the fire and trees. I find this much more pleasing to look at than even Okami.

Thanks GAF. <3

KevinCow

Banned
Holy shit. LttP, but this game is AWESOME. Best use of Wiimote controls yet. Beautiful, too. Totally didn't expect that.

I just hope the game isn't as short as I think it is. I've been playing for two hours, and I feel like the end is already just around the corner. But even so, 2-3 extremely enjoyable hours for $10? I think that's a pretty good deal. Most $50-60 retail games that aren't RPGs have a smaller hours per dollar ratio, and that's usually with parts that aren't fun. Whereas this whole game has been fun.

Jazzem

I'm afraid you probably are nearing the end. Still it was a nice experience I can see myself replaying sometime :)

Developer's Voice - Steven Burgess (lead designer), Alistair Lyndsay (head of audio), and David Braben, and talk about the creative process behind the game :

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40094.html

Really interesting talk. You should definitely watch that if you liked this game in the least bit.

Anyway, all this just reminds me how charming this game was...Damn, I think I'm going to have to re-replay it again :x .

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I really hope the next game is at least an hour longer. Really sucks that this wasn't longer because it was definitely enjoyable.

Rezbit

Wow, funnily enough I just downloaded this from WiiWare! Add me to the love pile so far, even though I'm only 30 minutes in.

Shiggy

I really adored the co-op play. My father, nowadays a "passive" gamer who only plays games like Secret Files Tunguska, was finally "activated" ;)
The same goes for Super Mario Galaxy, I think I should get Zack & Wiki as it's nice to see him play Wii :)

Co-op games like this are great!

JaMarco

Shiggy said:
I really adored the co-op play. My father, nowadays a "passive" gamer who only plays games like Secret Files Tunguska, was finally "activated" ;)
The same goes for Super Mario Galaxy, I think I should get Zack & Wiki as it's nice to see him play Wii :)

Co-op games like this are great!
there was co-op in this game?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Shiggy said:
If you have another Wii Remote, the other person will be able to do the same wind actions as the "Wii Remote+NunChuk" player.
Wow, I had no idea. I'll have to try th is out. My sister and I had some fun with SMG's co-op.

Top Bottom