• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lots of new Valve/SteamVR "Knuckles" Controller info (separate finger tracking!)

Durante

Thinking about the gloves, one major problem with them, is there size. With Valves Knuckles the size of the user hand can be much more variable in comparison to fixed-sized gloves. So You would need multiple one or some kind of resize mechanic, to make them universal for different people.

Valves Knuckles are a smarter solution at this point.
I didn't even consider that, but it's a very good point. Id guess even the Knuckles requires some smart software calibration of the capacitive sensors to deal with all the hand sizes out there.

I'm really curious about just how analogue the controllers are gonna be! It sounds like it's still up in the air still, there's a tweet that says it's definitely more than 20 different states for your fingers. Possibly as many as 50. That's so truly nuts.
From the videos, it looks like the answer to that question is at least "enough" ;)

Ever since I started popping ginger candy I haven't gotten nauseous in any game, so I've been able to appreciate sliding locomotion without discomfort.
I've never really had much of a sickness issue -- I played HL2 on DK1.

Personally, I find "sliding" locomotion more immersion-breaking than well-integrated teleport, and at fast speeds it's also problematic for my sense of balance. (I play all first-person VR games standing).

Zalusithix

From the videos, it looks like the answer to that question is at least "enough" ;)
The main "weakness" of the detection won't be the resolution of what it measures, but the fact that it represents a simplification of our fingers' range of movements. It detects from fully open to fully closed applied as an equal bend along all joints on a single plane of movement. In reality people have control of two axes of finger movement at the base joint, and that joint along with the next one up can move independently of one another. So while Knuckles is fine for grasping and general gestures, things like typing on a virtual keyboard or playing many instruments are out of the question.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Some new infos on reddits , thanks to the various devs
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comme...uckles_megathread_qa/?st=J4OT5ZGM&sh=818a356e

They confirmed that Valve is still taking dev feedbacks to make refinements, so the design is not final. Also it is backward compatible with existing titles, but with no new features of course.

Known dvelopers who have received them include Zulubo Productions (Vertigo), Cloudhead Games (The Gallery Episode 1 Call of the Starseed, Gallery Episode 2) Owlchemy Labs (Rick & Morty Virtual Rick-ality, Job Simulator), Radial Games, Stress Level Zero , Vertigo Games , Blueteak , Downpour Interactive and the Climbey dev.

Thought this was interesting. In some new videos from the Climbey dev (1, 2), he mentions and shows that there are options for how the capsense stuff works:

8J3J7FH.png

So that's:

• Finger Tracking (default)
  • Finger Tracking disabled
  • Capsense controls trigger
  • Capsense controls grip

Could be pretty useful for legacy games since most non-Oculus games avoid using the grip button the way the Knuckles will.

Zalusithix

Could be pretty useful for legacy games since most non-Oculus games avoid using the grip button the way the Knuckles will.

Pretty much every game that's actively updated and uses the grip button already has a toggle for how it's used these days. At least for the ones I've played. Once the Touch launched, devs were rather quick to implement the changes necessary to make their games more compatible with them.

Cap sense controlling trigger could potentially be useful for games that eschew the grip button all together in favor of trigger based interaction, but it'll be hit and miss depending on the game and what else they have contextually bound to the trigger.

Top Bottom