• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louie Season 4 |OT| He's finally back, Mondays on FX [S5 premieres Apr 9]

Status
Not open for further replies.
- SF Chronicle review:
These four episodes remind us why "Louie" is unlike other TV comedies. It's not just the absence of a laugh track, or a "situation," in the traditional sitcom meaning of the word. It's that each episode operates on so many different levels in ways we aren't always aware of until the show is over. The writing is in a class by itself, richly nuanced beneath deceptively uncomplicated surfaces. There are pratfalls, verbal and physical, and intentionally telegraphed jokes. They are meant to make us think, well, that's where the show's comedy is.

Blader

I forget how streaming for this show works, is it going to be on Hulu Plus the day after?

I remember the first and I think second seasons were on Hulu, but have long since been taken down.

rbenchley

dpk.jpg

"Listen, sex seems very complicated and confusing, but it’s very simple. The man takes his penis, puts it into a woman’s vagina, he ejaculates and she dies."

- THR Review
Louie, the mostly autobiographical series from Louis C.K., is back after a 19 month hiatus and remains as startlingly original -- and funny -- as ever. This is a comedy that doesn't always bother with being a comedy, but it's always something unique.
- Slant Review
Even if the radiant humor occasionally tends a bit toward the local the point of view is so effortlessly relatable in its humble assertions.
- Variety Review
After a protracted 19-month hiatus, “Louie” returns in what feels like midseason form – which is to say, mixing together moments of enormous discomfort, occasional hilarity and just plain weirdness. If anything, the first batch of episodes finds Louis C.K.’s auteur vehicle more personal and scattered than ever, flitting among plots within episodes — almost like animated programs with two shorts in each half-hour — and just generally advancing the grim worldview that while death is inevitable, the indignities associated with life aren’t necessarily a more desirable alternative.
- RogerEbert.com Review
What stuns me still about Louie is the complete unpredictability of it all as all four episodes defy TV comedy’s habit of going from point A to point B by taking viewers on another trip altogether.

- Poniewozik's review for Time
That show was and remains one of the best on TV–in any given week, maybe the best, period. But it’s also–and I realize I risk totally draining the funny out of it–a work of philosophy. It’s humane. It’s expansive. And the fact that it is cough-up-a-lung funny also gives it the freedom to do what in another show would be pretentious: to explore, every week, the question of what it means to live and engage with the world.

- Maureen Ryan's review:
It's great to have "Louie" back and it's usually quite a delight to engage with the show's vibrant, silly, surreal and profound sense of exploration. There's still nothing like it on TV, because there aren't too many people out there capable of excavating their brains with this much rigor, wit and insight.

Did a rewatch recently, not sure if I've laughed harder at something than Louie trying to fix the doll in "New Years Eve".

It absolutely slays me every time, like can't breathe for a couple of minutes.

---------------

Whoa, looking at the schedule, there's a 5-parter for episodes 4-8.

big ander

despite knowing the joke is coming, and despite having seen it 100 times, I still audibly laugh every time I see his reaction to there being three eyes.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
He's on Nightline tonight. 12:35 on ABC.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The podcast reviews have been fairly positive. Between this and 24 coming back, next week is looking to be pretty awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
just saw him advertise it on letterman the other night. can't wait. louie is my type of my humor.
You know, was there an actual story behind the Letterman arc from last season. I understand he has/had a real beef with Letterman, but was that all in terms of real life inspiration for that?

I know a lot of people are hesitant to call Louie a comedy now, and I can see why. There's a ton of pathos and mood and self reflection, with a dearth of laughs for long stretches.

But ya know what, that's okay. There's no other show like Louie on tv these days, and I find his vision refreshing and totally engaging. I don't know if Louie is a comedy, but whatever it is, I'll be watching.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Mondays are back again. New episodes of Louie an 24? What did we do to deserve this :)

Frost_Ace

Did a rewatch recently, not sure if I've laughed harder at something than Louie trying to fix the doll in "New Years Eve".

It absolutely slays me every time, like can't breathe for a couple of minutes.

---------------

Best scene of the whole show for sure.

Blader

hmm, don't know how I feel about that. While I liked the Late Show story in S3, I thought it also went on much longer than it needed to.

David Lynch was fantastic though.

- Sepinwall's review
As always, "Louie" is funny when it wants to be, touching when it needs to be, and unpredictable always. If anything, the show is slightly less cluttered than before, as the four episodes I've seen do away with the title sequence where Louie emerges from the subway to buy a slice of pizza and do his comedy set, and uses the extra time for either more story — say, Louie and his brother engaging in a culinary exercise that you will absolutely never want to try — or more stand-up.

- Matt Zoller Seitz's review for NY Mag:
The fourth season of Louie is amazingly confident: every line and shot and cut keenly judged, every segment exactly the right length, every shift in tone expertly navigated. A lot of its surety might come from its creator realizing that he's been doing this for several years now and it's not new to us anymore. He doesn't have to hold our hands and ease us into anything. He can just do it.

big ander

Really excited, especially after reading about how many of the episodes are going to be grouped together as stories. The press releases teased a weird kind of continuity for this season but I thought they just meant the same sometimes-continuity of the prior seasons.

Amped that we're basically getting 2 mini-features and 1 full movie: 3 self-contained episodes, then a 6-part story, then a 3-parter, then a 2-parter.

Thanks continuing to put up links as always Cornballer
They changed the opening? Noooo :(

Yeah this is a bit of a bummer, but if it means a valuable 30 more seconds of show, I'll be okay with it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Yeah this is a bit of a bummer, but if it means a valuable 30 more seconds of show, I'll be okay with it.
Yeah, the show feels short enough to begin with; some episodes are only 19 minutes! Maybe the extra year in between seasons led to more ideas, translating to more/longer episodes.

He already changed/omitted the opening so much in season 3, I'm not surprised to hear there's a new one. I do hope the music is still there though.

big ander

Blacklist on NBC or Louie?

you're asking in the Louie thread, so I expect most of the replies you'll get here will be biased towards saying "Louie."

At the same time, even if you asked somewhere neutral...wouldn't most people still say Louie? I know maybe 2 people that even watch The Blacklist, and I don't know of a single person who's a very adamant fan of it. Whereas Louie has a critical consensus that points somewhere in between "must-watch" and "vital, original modern television masterpiece." The decision's an easy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom