• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louis CK says he scrapped his 'I'm a Cop' movie and FX show (for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Also, Horace and Pete put him millions of dollars in debt. Bad news all around!

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...-will-be-no-more-louie-on-fx-for-now-20160413

“What happened was, I told FX I didn’t wanna come back for a sixth season of ‘Louie’ after I did season five,” C.K. revealed to Stern. “And I said, ‘I don’t want to put it off, I just want to say I’m not doing it anymore for now. I might come back and do it again some day, but I don’t wanna owe it to you ever.’ I just want a clean slate in my head.”

You’ll recall last year the comedian/director/writer/producer said he would be directing a full-length feature that he penned called “I’m A Cop.” However, C.K. has changed his mind and said that project is no longer moving forward.

“I had a movie set up that I wrote, that I was going to direct and star in. That was supposed to happen this last summer.” Why didn’t it happen, Stern asked? “I had a movie ready to shoot and I had my TV show going so I said no to both. I said, ‘We’re not doing either.’ And I just threw everything away. It was a very scary and terrifying thing to do.”

Perhaps worse, C.K. said he spent a half a million per episode of “Horace And Pete” and eventually spent $2 million of his own money to make those first four episodes. Unfortunately, they didn’t earn enough on his website to bankroll the rest of the season, so the comedian had to take out a line of credit and put himself millions of more dollars in debt.

I liked Horace and Pete, and thought it got better and better with each ep, but wouldn't say it was worth losing Louie and I'm a Cop over it, so that kinda sucks. At least he's going on tour soon.

SFenton

Damn. Love CK, he always seems pretty down to earth and just a good guy. Would have loved to see a film he wholly created, and I'm pretty bummed Louie won't be coming back.

I'm sure he'll put out some more great content though. He seems pretty concerned with quality, which I appreciate.

He fucked up big time by not offering a season pass for Horace & Pete. The drop off after the first episode from having to buy each ep individually must be substantial.

LakeEarth

Dude has said that he likes to put himself in financial trouble for a "push" to work harder, but this is ridiculous.

Sanjuro

TVV18UK.jpg

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I love Louis and I have absolutely no idea what this Horace and Pete thing is all about.

I feel kinda bad now.

Flo_Evans

I love Louis and I have absolutely no idea what this Horace and Pete thing is all about.

I feel kinda bad now.

He intentionally didn't promote it. I feel like he just wanted to make something without all the outside pressure for it to be commercially successful.

I respect what CK is doing but for the love of god get a publicist or something. The first time I heard about Horace and Pete was Buscemi on Colbert last week.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Production costs are really, really expensive if you want your show to be professional. I'd also imagine he paid his co-stars (some of whom are really big names).

From what he said on Stern he will pay them later on some of them. Really don't feel bad for him though he decided to do this with no advertising. Robin and Stern both said go make a deal with Netflix or something.

bounchfx

fuck that's really sad to hear, considering horace and pete is probably one of the best shows i've ever seen. hope it makes some of it back word-of-mouth but I doubt it.

I'm sure he'll come out positive again but holy fuck I'm not sure it was a wise move on his part to go into that kind of debt, I wonder if it will affect his going rate for future shows/tv/etc if people know he needs the cash

props to him for making his vision and art the most important thing, even at his own expense. damn.

500k for one episode of that show isn't that insane.
Honestly thought the idea behind the show was low-budget conversations on the same theater-like set about stuff, didn't expect it to cost that much.

For that kind of price, I would have thought he advertise it more than just people who keep his email.

Tesseract

Banned
I respect what CK is doing but for the love of god get a publicist or something. The first time I heard about Horace and Pete was Buscemi on Colbert last week.

That's kind of the point, and tbh it's pretty awesome because the show hits strides you shouldn't be prepared for.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well I mean Horace and Pete kinda just appeared, so I'm not surprised.

He blind charged for the first episode, that's certainly not going to bring some folks in. You kinda need to put a bit of the "pilot" out to get folks talking about it. Not just "oh here's the pilot. It costs $20. Enjoy!?"

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Eh, that's kinda what he wanted. He was pretty enamored with the idea of dropping something out of the blue with no context and people just bought it and watched it.

Holy shit at the quotes from Joe Pesci, lol

and that Joe Pesci turned down an offer to star on the show. That segment, in and of itself, is a riot to listen to, with Pesci giving C.K. unsolicited advice (“don’t eat pussy”), telling him he wasn’t a very good comedian, generally delivering very candid and unfiltered thoughts about the comedian’s career (“I watched your stand-up, which I can tell you’re just trying, and you’re no good at it…quit that now”). But the “Goodfellas” actor still eventually invited C.K. over to his house so the writer/director/actor could spend the day pitching the project to him (Pesci still said no).

"quit that now.."

damn, joe...

Savage

Permanently A

Jesus I know Louie said he wanted the show to just appear and people to be weirded out and intrigued by it, but fuck why would you do something like that with a multimillion dollar show?

Blader

In case you guys don't click the link:

He'll be fine ;)

I'm less concerned about his finances and more annoyed that I'm a Cop and potentially Louie S6 and on aren't happening anymore.

So Louie is effectively over? I knew it was on hiatus but the way he makes it sound is that it's pretty much done.

Yeah, and he said something in another interview recently where he felt like Louie felt really far away from him now. Hopefully he swings back to it at some point in the future.

NimbusD

Horace and Pete is great, guys should check it out. He definitely went about it the wrong way, as far as releasing and distribution, but hid sight is 20/20, he's nailed every other release so far it was bound to happen.

Just sucks that self releasing means that you're taking on the whole risk yourself if something ambitious bombs hard. It's why people don't normally do it obviously. Hope that doesn't deter him from doing that kind of stuff int he future, just do it better.

iuxion

He blind charged for the first episode, that's certainly not going to bring some folks in. You kinda need to put a bit of the "pilot" out to get folks talking about it. Not just "oh here's the pilot. It costs $20. Enjoy!?"

But the pilot didn't cost $20...

neshcom

Banned
Louie really seems no-bullshit, which is why his website distribution platform made him straight bank, but stuff like this makes me worry for him. It's one thing to hear "I've stopped all these old things and it's been refreshing," but to not hear about new stuff is troubling. I still think it's wild he took HnP on his own dime.

overcast

Wow kind of shocking news across the board. Except for Horace and Pete bombing, that makes sense. I wonder if he'll end up selling distribution rights on that to Netflix or something.

Louie being over is particularly heartbreaking. I loved the last season and he seemed to be consistently doing interesting things on that level. Leaves me wondering where he goes from here.

eFKac

I'm not mad he wants to put Louie on hiatus, season 5 felt to me like he pretty much told what he wanted to say.

Shame to hear about the financial problems though.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
He said that him and Albert Brooks are doing an animated show for FX right now as well. He didn't want to give anything away, but they already recorded the voices and are just waiting for the animation.

Honestly thought the idea behind the show was low-budget conversations on the same theater-like set about stuff, didn't expect it to cost that much.

For that kind of price, I would have thought he advertise it more than just people who keep his email.

Rule #1 of budgets: whatever you think the ballpark cost to do X or Y in a show/movie/video game, you're way, way underestimating it.

He said that him and Albert Brooks are doing an animated show for FX right now as well. He didn't want to give anything away, but they already recorded the voices and are just waiting for the animation.

Damn. This could be incredible. Brooks is one of the best ever and Louie is amazing too.

impact

Banned
anyone could have seen Horace and Pete bombing from a mile away. I watch Louis CK for comedy, not whatever the fuck that show is.

He'll do another good show and get back the money lost on that one, I'm sure.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, the good news is LCK seems to be hurting for money now, so hopefully we'll be seeing a lot more from him soon... lol.

Really loved Louie, it's what made me a fan way more than his stand up (which I also really like, but Louie was just on another level) I haven't watched his new show yet but I'm gonna get on that soon.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I read this and came to the conclusion that he is ridiculously greedy.

It seems to me that FX lets him do whatever he wants to do.
Amazon and Netflix will greenlight anything with talent on it.
Why would you self finance the show when all three of these networks would finance it?

The only reason I can think of is that he wanted all the revenue. He got too proud and greedy. Thought "fans" would just follow him blindly.

maybe he can still sell his horace show to youtube or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom