• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louis CK says he scrapped his 'I'm a Cop' movie and FX show (for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattp

I read this and came to the conclusion that he is ridiculously greedy.

It seems to me that FX lets him do whatever he wants to do.
Amazon and Netflix will greenlight anything with talent on it.
Why would you self finance the show when all three of these networks would finance it?

The only reason I can think of is that he wanted all the revenue. He got too proud and greedy. Thought "fans" would just follow him blindly.

maybe he can still sell his horace show to youtube or something.

oh come on
if he were greedy he would just go take a fat paycheck from hbo/netflix/fx to make whatever they want him to make

Why would you self finance the show when all three of these networks would finance it?

The only reason I can think of is that he wanted all the revenue. He got too proud and greedy. Thought "fans" would just follow him blindly.

If he were greedy he would have sold the rights. Especially with well-known actors involved. He wanted to do something authentic, with no marketing involved, or expectations. He literallly launched the pilot from one day to the next, announcing it via e-mail.

anyone could have seen Horace and Pete bombing from a mile away. I watch Louis CK for comedy, not whatever the fuck that show is.

He'll do another good show and get back the money lost on that one, I'm sure.
Louie had around the same tone as Horace and Pete, dark and melancholic comedy.

Eh, that's kinda what he wanted. He was pretty enamored with the idea of dropping something out of the blue with no context and people just bought it and watched it.

I can completely understand wanting to surprise people, "Surprise fans brand new show that is completely my vision! I did it totally under the radar hope you like it!" Once you do the surprise their is nothing wrong with advertising your new product. That's what I can't wrap my head around. Oh well.

Edit: Ok after listening the debt clip he came to his senses and is now on a promote-a-thon to try and make money on the show. "When I went on Kimmel, sales EXPLODED afterwards." No shit...

John_B

The debt belongs to his production company, right? His combined personal wealth should be pretty substantial still.

Pulka

I loved Horace And Pete, but it obviously wasn't going to make him any money. Sad to see Louie end, and that movie too.

big ander

I don't mind Louie being indefinitely gone—entire appeal of the show was that he wanted to make something unique he could only express in that form that worked outside of traditional television rules, if he doesn't have ideas for it forcing it would betray that. I love the idea that in 5, 10, 20 years he'll decide to revive it out of nowhere.

Here's the thing: he doesn't have 100% freedom on Louie. He still has to have discussions about the show with execs. Netflix or another outlet might not have greenlit this–they do not give creative freedom. They would've wanted him to announce it beforehand, they're famously against weekly releases which were an integral part of H&P. Involving a network also complicates the hiring of cast and crew. This show is experimental and niche enough that it could not have been made in this form of it weren't independent.

Blader

Louie had around the same tone as Horace and Pete, dark and melancholic comedy.

They're completely different. There isn't much comedy in Horace and Pete as is, and even the dramatic beats are way darker and more serious minded.

There's some similar DNA here and there, but I wouldn't say it's remotely the same tone. "Dark and melancholic comedy" is a pretty broad brush anyway.

The debt belongs to his production company, right? His combined personal wealth should be pretty substantial still.

He says the $2 million he dropped on episodes 1-4 was his personal cushion, so probably not. But he'll make it back from his next tour anyway.

They're completely different. There isn't much comedy in Horace and Pete as is, and even the dramatic beats are way darker and more serious minded.

There's some similar DNA here and there, but I wouldn't say it's remotely the same tone. "Dark and melancholic comedy" is a pretty broad brush anyway.

He says the $2 million he dropped on episodes 1-4 was his personal cushion, so probably not. But he'll make it back from his next tour anyway.

I don't see them as different. I just see Horace and Pete as a more dramatic evolution of Louie. Never saw Louie as a completely different tone, it wasn't exactly punchline haha comedy in the first place. People were already comparing it as a darker Curb Your Enthusiasm. Both have pretty sad DNA and trying to nail reality like in the last episode where Louis CK plays an "old-school" abusive dad.

Corpekata

Banned
So Louie is effectively over? I knew it was on hiatus but the way he makes it sound is that it's pretty much done.

It's over in the way Curb Your Enthusiasm is over, in that the network will likely take it back if the creators ever feel like making it again.

Joe

The article made his situation really bad but I listened to his Stern interview and he's going to be fine. He expects the show to be in the black by the summer. He's not even worried about it and says its completely fine. He'll even turn a profit after he sells it to a network or streaming site down the road. The difference in tones between the article and the actual interview is huge.

Blader

I don't see them as different. I just see Horace and Pete as a more dramatic evolution of Louie. Never saw Louie as a completely different tone, it wasn't exactly punchline haha comedy in the first place. People were already comparing it as a darker Curb Your Enthusiasm. Both have pretty sad DNA and trying to nail reality like in the last episode where Louis CK plays an "old-school" abusive dad.

It could just be the format messing with me, but I don't really find the indie film style dramedies of Louie -- like Into the Woods or the Late Show arc -- all that similar in tone or performance to the theater melodrama of Horace and Pete. Some similarities, sure, and I'm not saying they feel like they come from completely different authors. But I also don't think I would say if you liked Louie, then you'll like Horace and Pete as the next step in that; it feels more like a separate branch from the same tree than a more obvious evolution.

Dude needs a marketing manager. I only know of Horace and Pete from his mailing list.

He was deliberately not marketing it. The mailing list was the only way he intended to tell people about the show (and even, he almost never said anything about the actual show aside from sometimes who was appearing in a given episode).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom