• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Boat 2 [Mafia] |OT| Electric Boogalove

Ty4on

I know that you want to potentially catch scum through freudian slips or subconscious errors, but this is a boring narrative because it's both impossible to prove and impossible to defend against. I don't even town-read Ouro so I don't want to phrase this as a defense for him, but I'd assume if I was scum along with him and announced my presence through scum chat he'd wait until I started to become active before showering me with praise, like I told Muffin.

I feel like scum wants to associate themselves with non-scum people, either by confronting them or agreeing with them early in the game, not between themselves for fear of that leading to a consecutive scum lynch, but that may be just me.

To balance that out a bit, I feel odd about Ouro. He's strangely defensive; I was just talking about how WAMD's stumbling felt weird because she wouldn't let go of a bad point against Kitsune and it feels like Ouro's getting there too. I also keep coming back to this:
I don't think that's what happened it's just that it's a possibility that I thought of after writing the post before that.

Scum obviously don't wanna link themselves to mates, but they also try to avoid looking like they never talk to them.

Ourobolus

Banned
Every game I get called out for being "defensive," yet every game people are saying I'm "strangely defensive."

You'd think it would be old hat by now.

Fireblend

Banned
I don't think I usually think of you as being defensive. Can't be sure though, to be honest I have a hard time attributing specific trends to people's behavior inbetween games beyond "Sorian posts a lot" and "weemad thinks I'm scum".

Sophia

Every game I get called out for being "defensive," yet every game people are saying I'm "strangely defensive."

You'd think it would be old hat by now.

I think I've only actually played one game with you (Overwatch) unless there was one other that I forgot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also I didn't say "strangely defensive." I didn't think anything of it until that post there about linking you two together. Hence why I asked for the "Why?"

Natiko

Banned
Those must be some flimsy daggers of paper then. But hey, if you think you're going to throw shade at GAFia's biggest bitch and get away with it, then let me prove you wrong. Lets take a look at everything you've posted so far.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245209677&postcount=488 - Royal's barely here, so I'm not sure what this prod vote is about.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245223159&postcount=499 - Why should FEP give you his reads when you're barely providing anything as is?

When did using the term "potshot" become a thing here, btw? I had to google it when I first read it.

Then I don't get your point at all. a) I didn't see Sophia giving us a free pass at all, just not focusing on us specifically and b) The key difference between nothing-posts and no posts is that nothing-posters for sure could have contributed if they wanted but chose not to; no-posters could just have been busy.
See above then. I have mentioned it several times over so it's on you for not bothering to read Sophia's post. She makes it very clear she sees no reason for either your or FEP to give nomad the time of day since by her evaluation nomad had not contributed much himself. I followed it up by saying I had called out you and FEP for the same things. The difference is I HAD contributed so I wanted responses from you and FEP still, pushing back against Sophia's notion that you both could not bother.

You weren't a no show at that point. You had posted twice and contributed nothing. You're usually a player with a low post count that brings insight with those few posts. That hasn't not been the case this game. Your more recent posts have done nothing to make me feel better either as they rarely have brought any meaningful insight which I find odd from you. You can claim you've been doing this more lately but I've played in games with you recently and find your behavior this game different enough to ping my radar.

Reading through everything, biggest standout would be Ouro's town read on Fire and Exodu5. Fire's posting picked up around that time although a lot moreso after that read, but I've been leaning slightly towards scum on Exodu5 for a while.

Don't think I've seen anything from Kitsune still outside of defending from Dragonz.

Trigger and Sexyfish both mia, Sexy is new and I don't think that's too atypical of Trigger, but showing up, saying that they're reading the thread and then disappearing again isn't great. Star mentioned that Sexyfish isn't posting in their private chat either, is the same true of Trigger Ty4on?

So I'm gonna go ahead and be a bit more productive, can't stay undecided forever.

What me bothers the most right now is this:

The first pair I can partly understand, because of Verelios. He made a good effort. The whole Dragonz/kitsune thing however made me side with kitsune in the discussion, and made Dragonz look scummy to me. So the pair is at best neutral to me.

The second pair I don't understand at all. Exodu5 really hasn't contributed much of worth, and Fireblend didn't either, only right after Ouro said this. This looks very suspicious to me and in the following:

I have to fully agree with Ty4on, it came completely out of left field. To me at least.

I know that I said Ouro was looking normal to me earlier, but in the last few hours I don't think so anymore. He seems awfully...evading.

This also isn't a case where his partner convinces me otherwise, kitty threw weird votes around and shitposted a bit, if I'm not missing something.

So to put a bit of pressure on both:

VOTE: Ourobolus
Not sure if muffin just glossed over Crimson's post or if he just wanted to follow suit for some townie points by copying someone else's argument.

Ourobolus

Banned
I think I've only actually played one game with you (Overwatch) unless there was one other that I forgot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also I didn't say "strangely defensive." I didn't think anything of it until that post there about linking you two together. Hence why I asked for the "Why?"

Fireblend called me that.

Anyway, it's more of an "I told you so" for later if it actually happens. :p

Sophia

Fireblend called me that.

Anyway, it's more of an "I told you so" for later if it actually happens. :p

Over at TVTropes, we call that Tempting Fate, y'know? =p

See above then. I have mentioned it several times over so it's on you for not bothering to read Sophia's post. She makes it very clear she sees no reason for either your or FEP to give nomad the time of day since by her evaluation nomad had not contributed much himself. I followed it up by saying I had called out you and FEP for the same things. The difference is I HAD contributed so I wanted responses from you and FEP still, pushing back against Sophia's notion that you both could not bother.

You weren't a no show at that point. You had posted twice and contributed nothing. You're usually a player with a low post count that brings insight with those few posts. That hasn't not been the case this game. Your more recent posts have done nothing to make me feel better either as they rarely have brought any meaningful insight which I find odd from you. You can claim you've been doing this more lately but I've played in games with you recently and find your behavior this game different enough to ping my radar.

Hoooold your horses. I didn't say anything about Royal not giving Nomad his reads. I was just merely pointing out the absurdity of prod voting someone who's not really here, especially over a "pot shot" that, at the time of that post, didn't even actually happen.

Also I think you're getting a bit carried away with defending your partner there. Asking for someone's reads randomly out of left field is shit, especially from someone who's been nothing but a nuisance to town so far. Also why are you leaving out Dragonz who said the exact same ****ing thing?

Have you offered any of your own?

Ty4on

I don't think I usually think of you as being defensive. Can't be sure though, to be honest I have a hard time attributing specific trends to people's behavior inbetween games beyond "Sorian posts a lot" and "weemad thinks I'm scum".
Speaking of Sorian, what do you think of him so far Fireblend?
He's not as active as normal due to work. I find him a bit more null than usual. Maybe slightly town as he doesn't seem to push too much of an agenda.

Perfect timing when he is sleeping :p

Natiko

Banned
Hoooold your horses. I didn't say anything about Royal not giving Nomad his reads. I was just merely pointing out the absurdity of prod voting someone who's not really here, especially over a "pot shot" that, at the time of that post, didn't even actually happen.

Also I think you're getting a bit carried away with defending your partner there. Asking for someone's reads randomly out of left field is shit, especially from someone who's been nothing but a nuisance to town so far. Also why are you leaving out Dragonz who said the exact same ****ing thing?
Please show me where I said nomad deserved no criticism and should be left alone. Go on. I'll wait.

Now that that's done and you realize that I've repeatedly talked about how I wanted to hear from Royal and FEP as well and was pointing out that I had more contributions behind my request and thus it couldn't just be shot down maybe I can stop having to address this point because no one in this thread feels the need to read.

As for dragonz please show me where in that quote it says that the person being pestered should not bother. Ah right, it was literally only you that made that insinuation.

Fireblend

Banned
I've been thinking that he's been curiously non-engaged with the current discussion, specially since he was around last page and chose to continue talking about the WAMD-Kitsune thing instead, except for a quick mention of Ouro when announcing he was going to sleep.

I can already tell he's going to say he didn't think it was worth commenting on because it was uninteresting or something, but I did expect him to chime in at some point. I don't know if what he's done qualifies as avoidance for me though. I'm waiting for him to come back and see if he's planning to follow up that thought before making up my mind.

Not sure if muffin just glossed over Crimson's post or if he just wanted to follow suit for some townie points by copying someone else's argument.

I saw Ouros post (read list) before going to bed and it immediately bothered me, my partner also immediately said she doesn't understand it.

I saw Crimsons post this morning yeah, but he didn't really make a big thing out of it, so I thought I'd give my thoughts on the matter to start some discussion and see how Ouro and Fire defend themselves.

I have to say that Fires counterarguments are all sound, so I'll agree that I might have overinterpreted a bit, but Ouros reactions to my post are all only reinforcing my suspicion.

Fire defended himself well, so currently I still think Ouro comes over scummy while I'm inclined to believe Fire that he didn't coordinate or something.

Xbro

Off of vacation and back home. Just caught up with the thread.

These posts have stood out to me the most. I don't think the confident tone Sorian is using here feels appropriate for a townie. I think a paranoid townie would be much more hesitant at vouching for others and wouldn't use language like 'very clearly'.

Not all townies are paranoid. Vanillas shouldn't have any need to be paranoid.

Uncertainty, however, should be a trait most townies share. I myself hate being wrong and making mistakes so I have a hard time committing to things, especially early game which leads me to just throw out several possibilities and not committing to one.

Sorian in this case seemed very certain that people were town, which could mean that either he's a very confident town player(I'm not familiar with him or his playstyle, so this is a possibility), or he's a scum that knows who all the townies are.

Could also be just me overthinking things.

My point is if you flip scum, then I would assume people would suddenly vote for KK/myself. It's an improbable scenario in my mind, but I'm at least making note of it.

I don't think it would normally be a given that if you flipped scum, anyone you named as a townie would be scum. It could be a plot to frame someone in the event that you were killed. You recognizing this as a possibility could be you just backing out of a plan.

Natiko

Banned
At this point I think Ouro is either scum, neutral, or a very good PR. Not personally settled on which way I lean yet, but it seems clear at this point he wants some amount of heat and suspicion which usually is indicative of someone that wants to live long or have an excuse for living long.

There's not much to go on right now.

This was interesting as Nomadic was asking FEP for reads and then it came to someone asking him for reads. He then said the above. It's interesting because if FEP were to come in here and say the same I'm sure Nomadic wouldn't have taken that as an acceptable answer. If there's "not much to go on right now" then why would he possibly want someone else's reads if the former is true? It would seemingly be unnecessary, no? Find that peculiar.

I'm still pretty firm that neither Dragonz or Kit are scum.

I'm also reluctant to consider the ones not posting often, but a few do seem fishily quiet like Star/Fish

I see what you did there partner!

i'd actually be interested in hearing your take on the dragonz/kitsune scuffle that happened last night.

I do think that the whole Kitsune and WAMD kerfluffle was a bit oversaturated, bit it could be interesting. Why do you think anyone should go back and look at it? Hope this doesn't seem aggressive I'm just curious as to why you may think that's an important interaction? I did my reads on that and in the end came to my own conclusion that it was 2 townies going at it for dumb reasons (though it COULD be more), what do you think it is that's worth looking back on?

Sorian said something:

The WAMD/kitsune thing doesn't make any sense either as I said about WAMD's portion of it. It nitpicks a point that falls in like completely with how kitsune would feel coming into a second game after getting killed early in their first game. The whole issue with that "spat" is that it read scripted to me.

This actually had crossed my mind before, and I had pondered it for a while. The depth of the exchange was as shallow as you can get but it seemed as if it was something worth looking into; possibly scripted or planned out? Could be and again it has been running through my mind. The amount of hypocrisy that was going through WAMD's argument just rubbed me the wrong way and it seemed incredibly petty especially because WAMD is a pretty good player. Didn't seem like something she would do? Others have said that's what she's like so maybe it hasn't rubbed off on me like others.

Why ARE people looking into the Ouro vote? It was clearly a joke as it was before the game even started! So that's null. ANYTHING that happens before the game should not be looked at imo.

Damn I forgot what else I was going to say...another post incoming as soon as I look back.

It was something regarding Kitsune (irrelevant to the WAMD argument) and something about Muffin.

Ourobolus

Banned
Also what kind of Ouro would I be if everyone wasn't suspicious of me on D1

huh?

HUH?

WOULD YOU EVEN WANT TO LIVE IN THAT WORLD

Uncertainty, however, should be a trait most townies share. I myself hate being wrong and making mistakes so I have a hard time committing to things, especially early game which leads me to just throw out several possibilities and not committing to one.

Sorian in this case seemed very certain that people were town, which could mean that either he's a very confident town player(I'm not familiar with him or his playstyle, so this is a possibility), or he's a scum that knows who all the townies are.

I don't think it would normally be a given that if you flipped scum, anyone you named as a townie would be scum. It could be a plot to frame someone in the event that you were killed. You recognizing this as a possibility could be you just backing out of a plan.

I would definitely describe town Sorian as confident, saying that though his contributions this game have felt lacking, maybe that's just down to real life reasons though.

Ourobolus

Banned
You're reading this the wrong way. Fire never claimed I was town (at least I don't think he did?). It's more people thinking that since I'm leaning town on Fire, if he flips scum then I'd be more suspicious. Just a thought.

At this point I think Ouro is either scum, neutral, or a very good PR. Not personally settled on which way I lean yet, but it seems clear at this point he wants some amount of heat and suspicion which usually is indicative of someone that wants to live long or have an excuse for living long.

He's definitely playing this way intentionally, but I still find it hard to pin an alignment on it. Neutral or Town PR might be an explanation.

Sophia

I would definitely describe town Sorian as confident, saying that though his contributions this game have felt lacking, maybe that's just down to real life reasons though.

I have a hard time telling Town Sorian from Scum Sorian apart. The one time he was scum in a game I played, he was a sub in for someone who already had crosshairs on them so...

Xbro

You're reading this the wrong way. Fire never claimed I was town (at least I don't think he did?). It's more people thinking that since I'm leaning town on Fire, if he flips scum then I'd be more suspicious. Just a thought.

Wasn't meaning to accuse, just throwing out that it would be stupid to vote someone based purely on that. Unless I've misread the entire conversation.

Natiko

Banned
Why ARE people looking into the Ouro vote? It was clearly a joke as it was before the game even started! So that's null. ANYTHING that happens before the game should not be looked at imo.
What? The Ouro vote I've been questioning happened after the game started (albeit very early), was followed up a couple pages later by a mirror vote from his partner, and has since been defended by Ouro as an actual vote.

Also what kind of Ouro would I be if everyone wasn't suspicious of me on D1

huh?

HUH?

WOULD YOU EVEN WANT TO LIVE IN THAT WORLD
I don't recall if we've ever played together so perhaps I'm just not used to it. Though you do claim to change your playstyle so who knows.

Ourobolus

Banned
What? The Ouro vote I've been questioning happened after the game started (albeit very early), was followed up a couple pages later by a mirror vote from his partner, and has since been defended by Ouro as an actual vote.

I don't recall if we've ever played together so perhaps I'm just not used to it. Though you do claim to change your playstyle so who knows.

Well it was an actual vote. I used highlight tags and everything.

Have NO idea what I was gonna say about Muffin...think it was something pertaining to the German .gif or something. Idk. I think I actually said what I needed to about Kitsune in my post where I said I needed to talk about Kitsune lol

Ourobolus

Banned
Would you have preferred I said meaningful vote i.e. one you stand by as a non-joke vote?

I know. It was mostly a joke vote since Sophia hadn't posted too much. The rest was I like to poke Sophia. Since then though SoCrimsonphist has still been on my radar so I'm happy with keeping it there for the moment.

You are absolutely correct. Well then. I have NO clue why I thought that vote was before the game.

Still, I'm curious as to why you think that vote means something?

Since then though SoCrimsonphist has still been on my radar so I'm happy with keeping it there for the moment.

Hmmm, could you elaborate? What exactly motivates you to leave your vote there? I'd like to see your reasoning. Unless you mean you don't have somebody else who leans scum in your eyes so you just don't want to bother with unvoting.

Ourobolus

Banned
Hmmm, could you elaborate? What exactly motivates you to leave your vote there? I'd like to see your reasoning. Unless you mean you don't have somebody else who leans scum in your eyes so you just don't want to bother with unvoting.

I feel like (at least earlier in the day, I'll have to reread the last 24 hours worth of posts) they were basically asking questions and the like to see what sticks. Trying to find the tiniest thing to hinge on to basically say, "hey everyone, isn't THAT interesting?" and go from there.

tbf there's a thin line between townie and scummy behavior so it could indeed be off base but that's my thoughts for now

I feel like (at least earlier in the day, I'll have to reread the last 24 hours worth of posts) they were basically asking questions and the like to see what sticks. Trying to find the tiniest thing to hinge on to basically say, "hey everyone, isn't THAT interesting?" and go from there.

tbf there's a thin line between townie and scummy behavior so it could indeed be off base but that's my thoughts for now

Hm, okay. As I mentioned earlier, I do also think that this is either being townie and trying to lead other townies a bit or scummy and misleading. For the latter is does seem a bit too obvious, but if we're in later days were we have more things pointing to it being misleading I'd agree that they'd be a worthy lynch target. Just not on D1, I think.

Natiko

Banned
You are absolutely correct. Well then. I have NO clue why I thought that vote was before the game.

Still, I'm curious as to why you think that vote means something?
A cast away vote in and of itself isn't noteworthy that early. What made it interesting was a couple pages later his lover came in and voted on that same duo. Around that same time Ouro stood by his initial throw away vote and doubled down on it. He has since stayed with said vote. It's noteworthy because in the past I've seen scum throw out an early vote and then sit on it. The less vote movement for them the better as it limits the connections they do or don't build. It can also help keep them away from day end voting shenanigans ("I voted for so and so early, why would I have flipped toward the end?"). That to me is why it's noteworthy. Anytime I see an early throw away vote stick it pings me.

Ty4on

I know. It was mostly a joke vote since Sophia hadn't posted too much. The rest was I like to poke Sophia. Since then though SoCrimsonphist has still been on my radar so I'm happy with keeping it there for the moment.
Who are their scummates?

Ty4on

Good point by Natiko about the lack of vote movement by Ouro. This is a game with very little vote movement, but I would've liked to see more.
There's also not a whole lot of pressuring. Now that several are town reading CrimSoph it might be especially important to drum up discussion around them instead of letting it slide. On top of that there's not a whole lot of pressuring other players or scum reading.

Ty4on

Honestly debating if all four anime players are

(Sophia x CrimsonFist)
(Muffin x Samurai)

Again, gut reads abound.

As for the third team, I'll go out on a limb and say Xbro and Karkador. Cause why not.

Right, anime player read. What do you think about that thing Sorian and me pointed out about Samurai's read list being ignored? It felt really townie the way it progressed. Like they seemed genuinely bothered it was ignored and had discussed that in their thread before posting it.

Sophia

Honestly debating if all four anime players are

(Sophia x CrimsonFist)
(Muffin x Samurai)

Again, gut reads abound.

As for the third team, I'll go out on a limb and say Xbro and Karkador. Cause why not.

Me and Crimson both have avatars from video games you snob! : |

I need to read over Xbro and Kark. x.x

Ourobolus

Banned
Right, anime player read. What do you think about that thing Sorian and me pointed out about Samurai's read list being ignored? It felt really townie the way it progressed. Like they seemed genuinely bothered it was ignored and had discussed that in their thread before posting it.

I'll go back and look.

Ty4on

Me and Crimson both have avatars from video games you snob! : |

I need to read over Xbro and Kark. x.x

Lemme summarize:
Finally caught up. Don't really have definitive reads yet. I need to familiarize myself more with who is who. Reading anything doesn't mean jack if I can't remember who said what.

Dragonz seemed to be quite aggressive against Kitsune here, which actually isn't necessarily a bad thing. On one hand pressure is very good, applying pressure is the best way for info to come out. On the other hand it could be jumping at shadows to try to pin someone down.

Dragonz telling Kitsune that she was applying pressure didn't actually help with the pressure applying in and of itself(In fact it just lessened the effect for later posts), and just served as a way to get bystanders on her side.

I'm leaning against Dragons here in this aspect.

As far as the debate itself goes, Kitsune did a good job deflecting Dragonz' post, and Dragonz got very defensive over it.

Didn't know if you were talking to me or Karkador at first, but I realize now you're talking about Kark.

In my case I'm in Vegas right now and was dragged to go around town right after I made that post. Didn't get back until 4 in the morning. This is the first chance I've had to really sit down and get a good look at the game, and I believe Kark is in a similar position.

From what?

-_-

So I'm gonna go ahead and be a bit more productive, can't stay undecided forever.

What me bothers the most right now is this:

The first pair I can partly understand, because of Verelios. He made a good effort. The whole Dragonz/kitsune thing however made me side with kitsune in the discussion, and made Dragonz look scummy to me. So the pair is at best neutral to me.

The second pair I don't understand at all. Exodu5 really hasn't contributed much of worth, and Fireblend didn't either, only right after Ouro said this. This looks very suspicious to me and in the following:

I have to fully agree with Ty4on, it came completely out of left field. To me at least.

I know that I said Ouro was looking normal to me earlier, but in the last few hours I don't think so anymore. He seems awfully...evading.

This also isn't a case where his partner convinces me otherwise, kitty threw weird votes around and shitposted a bit, if I'm not missing something.

So to put a bit of pressure on both:

VOTE: Ourobolus

This is a very mellow regurgitation of other people's reads.

This is a very mellow regurgitation of other people's reads.

Natiko mentioned as much already and I answered him

I saw Ouros post (read list) before going to bed and it immediately bothered me, my partner also immediately said she doesn't understand it.

I saw Crimsons post this morning yeah, but he didn't really make a big thing out of it, so I thought I'd give my thoughts on the matter to start some discussion and see how Ouro and Fire defend themselves.

I have to say that Fires counterarguments are all sound, so I'll agree that I might have overinterpreted a bit, but Ouros reactions to my post are all only reinforcing my suspicion.

Fire defended himself well, so currently I still think Ouro comes over scummy while I'm inclined to believe Fire that he didn't coordinate or something.

Ty4on

Okay, I need to re-read over Kark then! >_>;

Neither have really said much, main reason why I have my vote on them.

Kark came in, was Kark, but there wasn't a lot of content.
Xbro made some posts, but those two had the majority of his content and they seemed a bit constructed.

Top Bottom