• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lt. Gov Dan Patrick (TX) begins war to prevent (Trans)women from going to rest room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lt. Gov Dan 'Reap what you sow Orlando gays!' Patrick is at it again. Today he unveiled Senate Bill 6.

Following North Carolina's lead, Texas Republicans announced Senate Bill 6, which would require transgender people to use bathrooms in public schools, government buildings and universities based on ”biological sex" and would preempt local nondiscrimination ordinances that extend protections to transgender people.

”We know it's going to be a tough fight," Patrick said at a Capitol news conference announcing the bill. ”But we know we're on the right side of the issue. We're on the right side of history. You can mark today as the day Texas is drawing a line in the sand and saying no."

Patrick says his support for the legislation is based of privacy concerns, arguing that such policies allow men to enter women's restrooms and locker rooms.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/01/05/texas-lt-gov-dan-patrick-unveils-so-called-bathroo/

Still no ideas from Lt. Dan on what rights trans community have protecting them from abuse in a man's restroom.

NimbusD

Telling yourself you are on the right side of history is a bold move.
Like most republicanism talking points, it's just something that sounds good and powerful as long as you don't take a second to inspect what you're they're actually saying.

Ogodei

Silver lining is a stupid drawn-out fight over this is likely to lead to GOP losing some power in Texas, if North Carolina's indication. For whatever reason this is the new third rail.

Fuck you Dan, I hope Wendy Davis unseats you and your disgusting boss next cycle.

Always been a piece of shit, even tweeted hateful shit about the Pulse shooting.

None of the urban areas, especially Dallas and Austin, would ever agree to entertain this ridiculous bullshit you're peddling.

Just sell it in Tyler and to the bumblefucks in South Oklahoma.

Flux

Like most republicanism talking points, it's just something that sounds good and powerful as long as you don't take a second to inspect what you're they're actually saying.
Yeah I didn't realize I didn't type the second half of my point on mobile.

It's just a republican bullet point to slap on to anything without any real contextual cues.

rjinaz

Well I mean if there wasn't so many cases of men dressing up as women to get into restrooms to molest little girls and women...

Oh wait, there isn't. He just hates people that are different than him and there is likely a religious component at work.

"We're on the right side of history"

Man if I had a dollar every time I heard that shit. Be able to buy a Ps4 Pro AND some games.

Was Lincoln the last time a Republican was on the right side of history?

Nah, Governor Holton was a great guy.

59%20holton%20daughter%2020'wide.jpg

Court-ordered busing to integrate schools was a controversial issue when Holton took office as governor in 1970. Instead of sending their children to a school near the Executive Mansion, Holton and his wife Virginia enrolled them at predominately black Richmond schools.

Holton recalls that decision as “a thrilling opportunity.” It made national news. The New York Times ran a front-page photo of Holton walking daughter Tayloe to her first day of classes at formerly all-black Kennedy High School.

“It gave me the opportunity to demonstrate by action as well as words that we believe in what’s required by the Constitution of the United States and that all people regardless of race have equal opportunity,” Holton said in an oral history he recorded for the Mason libraries.

(His daughter, Anne Holton, is Tim Kaine's wife)

what doesnt amaze me is these people's beliefs.

i get that. like when people who are old enough to remember when baseball was played by only white guys suddenly say something racist, or bigoted. im not surprised in the least. its not right, but its not surprising.

what continually surprises me are the priorities of these people.

like who are the people in texas, NC, etc, who think this shit is the NUMBER ONE ISSUE in their state? The tenacity of these people is just astounding to me. This guy thinks hes going to war.

All because someone who identifies as a different sex has to pee? what the fuck?

Even if you THINK youre on the right side of history, do you really want to go down as the man who fought the bathroom battle?

adj_noun

But we know we're on the right side of the issue. We're on the right side of history.

Just like gay marriage.

The fervency with which they insisted the moral fabric of society would disintegrate if it was legalized was only surpassed by the speed with which they dropped it as an issue.

Bold statement. How did that whole no gay marriage agenda go for you guys?

"We're on the right side of history"

Man if I had a dollar every time I heard that shit. Be able to buy a Ps4 Pro AND some games.

And then maybe your ass would play Overwatch with me lol

Beefy

Feel so bad for my LGBT+ friends, the amount of hate and shit laws the GOP are trying to being in are disgusting. I have no doubt the UK will want to follow though. Such cunts

Could be worried about jobs or health care, but no they want to focus on where people shit

Course they do, cause, and this is the important bit.

They don't know what the fuck they are doing with jobs and health care.

Cause the people with the D next to their names have all the good scientists, and economists, and people who actually know shit.

Republican: "These gays/transsexuals/atheists/Muslims/women/Martians are eroding TRADITIONAL VALUES! We're at WAR! HISTORY is on our SIDE!!"

* nothing actually useful happens *

Voters: "We're tired of all these politicians promising the world and not actually getting anything done in office to improve our lives! The system is BROKEN! Politicians are CORRUPT! We need OUTSIDERS!"

* votes Republican into office again *

Hazmat

Aside from it being morally reprehensible, it's just such a stupid loser of an issue. Fuck this idiot.

I know it's not the same (or the point), but I welcome any transgender Austin GAFfers to use the private restroom in my home should they feel uncomfortable or disrespected elsewhere.

Monocle

We're experiencing the times future generations are going to read about in history books and wonder, "What the hell was wrong with those people?"

Just like gay marriage.

The fervency with which they insisted the moral fabric of society would disintegrate if it was legalized was only surpassed by the speed with which they dropped it as an issue.
You say this as though a gang of waxed and tanned fitness models in pink spandex didn't bust down my door with their bedazzled roller skates and force me to marry my neighbor's dalmatian.

Kettch

Still funny how they completely ignore the existence of trans men. Do you think they even realize that they're legally requiring some buff, grizzled guys to enter women's restrooms/locker rooms? Or do you think the sole image of trans people in their heads is creepy guys wearing wigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom