• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lt. Gov Dan Patrick (TX) begins war to prevent (Trans)women from going to rest room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Game Guru

Still funny how they completely ignore the existence of trans men. Do you think they even realize that they're legally requiring some buff, grizzled guys to enter women's restrooms/locker rooms? Or do you think the sole image of trans people in their heads is creepy guys wearing wigs?

Yes, this is exactly what idiots like these think transgender people are, ignoring that a number of transgender men are buff and chiseled.

The only argument I've ever heard is, "What's to stop some guy dressing up in a dress and going to peep?" When countered with what's stopping someone from doing that now besides the law, I didn't get a proper response. Male child predators can creep on boys, females can creep on other females. Pro tip, people most likely just want to be able to tinkle in their appropriate bathroom.

But I am totes pro single person private restrooms, hate sharing with others.

Ekai

I'm not going to post in this topic outside of this post but I did want to say two things.

What the fuck is the party of "small government" doing in my bathroom?

They have never been small government. That's the label they use for people who victimize themselves into thinking they're persecuted whenever they attack minorities. "Big government is after my religious rights!". It's hogwash. People who utilize religion for evil ends, essentially. Yet the GOP is constantly butting into the rights and lives of minorities so....yea.

It's also the term they like to use to describe their spending habits yet Republicans on average spend far more than Democrats. Not to mention they want to gut institutions in this country for "the budget" yet what they want to gut barely will cut any spending.

"Small government" is a misnomer for the GOP and they only use it because it benefits them for gullible people to believe that bs. The Republicans are basically cartoonishly evil and have been for arguably decades. They just use labels, dogwhistles, etc. etc. to convince people who don't think for themselves to go along with their nonsense.

Lt. Gov Dan 'Reap what you sow Orlando gays!' Patrick is at it again. Today he unveiled Senate Bill 6.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/01/05/texas-lt-gov-dan-patrick-unveils-so-called-bathroo/

Still no ideas from Lt. Dan on what rights trans community have protecting them from abuse in a man's restroom.

Not only that this will force transmen into women's restrooms. The GOP is literally going to do what they claim they are trying to "solve " due to their severe hatred of those outside the cis-binary. Not that transmen are dangerous, they aren't. Point is, it would force people who are men into the restroom. But the GOP doesn't think about this.

They also don't think about what you mention. Of course it will also do what you claim as well, which is frankly frightening. But they don't care about the safety/humanity of people outside their religious constituents who these laws appeal to.

These laws would also be really freaking weird in execution. They'd be very invasive of people's privacy and would be incredibly awkward to even enact.....like who the fuck would even be doing this? Are we seriously going to hire "bathroom barons" to check what's going on with everyone in every bathroom in the country? Do you need to be deemed "this feminine or this masculine to ride/shit"? It's absurd.

Not to mention, there's lots of cis-women out there who don't even look stereotypically feminine. There's already stories out there of butch lesbians being targeted by people who think they're trans. And straight women who don't pass as feminine have had the same treatment. In essence, these actions are specifically targeting not just those outside of the cis-binary but also the individuals freedom of expression within/out of the bounds of their gender be they cis or trans.

The ideas for these laws prove that the GOP doesn't think about them on multiple fronts and/or proves that they want the 1950s back where all men and women looked a very specific way. Which only further goes to show how big government the GOP really is.

Jhriad

This state, jeez, I don't even know anymore. Not that anyone here is really all that surprised by Dan Patrick continuing to be an abhorrent human being.

Not

Banned
I'm on the right side of history. I know because look at all that history before now, it's just like me

I will never understand why state parties would want to die on this hill.

Trans people are, as far as we know, a relatively small portion of the population. So they're an easy group to gang up on and score political points with the conservative base and the Religious Right. At the same time, being a rather small and harmless group, it doesn't take much to construe this as bullying in the eyes of the general public. Hence some of the backfire in NC, which I expect will be replicated in Texas. Republicans want an easy "moral" fight that they can win in lieu of actually doing their jobs, and they'll hopefully die on that hill because they look like zealots, trying to criminalize something that strikes the average person as trivial.

Can't wait to see buff lifting men enter the women's bathroom because they were once born a woman.

Caitlin Jenner using the men's bathroom in her shiny new dress will be totally normal.

Thanks Texas.

Cyan

Banned
What does this guy think "right side of history" actually means? Or has he just heard people on the left use it and thought it would be a cool phrase to imitate?

Jeels

Houston is already hurting from oil prices. If companies threaten to leave over this, especially the corporate responsible ones like GE, etc and all the hippie software companies in Austin...

fenners

Why is this fucker always in the news?

You never hear of Lt. govs besides him doing anything.

Texas is different than most states - Lt.Governor is the position with all the day to day power in texas state legislator, not the actual Governor.

What does this guy think "right side of history" actually means? Or has he just heard people on the left use it and thought it would be a cool phrase to imitate?

Buzz words.

Reuters is reporting that if this bill becomes law, Texas is predicted to economically l
ose anywhere between $964 million at a minimum and $8.5 billion at a maximum: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-lgbt-idUSKBN14P21T

Yeah, that's fine. Let them pass it. We need to hurt that bad to learn our lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom