• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTT...something: Knack

Grinchy

Banned
I got all my money back when I sold the game, and that's the best part of my Knack experience. The game is just so dull and tedious to play. The controls just didn't feel tight enough for the difficulty.

I'd recommend playing a Lego game instead regardless.
To be sure I wasn't being facetious with the recommendation. Lego combat is super simple and doesn't require much attention, like at all, but you get all the explody blocks and humor bits, so that's probably the better way to go.

What makes Knack tick is its deceptively simple combat, but you can't be a slouch with it.

Synth

To be sure I wasn't being facetious with the recommendation. Lego combat is super simple and doesn't require much attention, like at all, but you get all the explody blocks and humor bits, so that's probably the better way to go.

What makes Knack tick is its deceptively simple combat, but you can't be a slouch with it.

Yea, my response was honestly far less sincere, lol... though honestly I wouldn't recommend Knack to anyone regardless of how they described their gaming preferences to me. I simply don't believe it excels (or even holds its own) in pretty much any arena. Challenge, and the requirement to pay attention to enemy attack patterns can be found in so many different games, and the good ones don't have that as basically the only thing going for them.

They are very, very few games where I believe "play it on hard" is a legitimate defense, and Knack definitely is not one that I'd count as an exception.

Knack the character is literally made of pieces of garbage, which tells you everything you need to know about the game.

lol Jesus christ. Would probably be on the KazHiraiCEO twitter if it wasn't railing on a sony game.

I'd recommend playing a Lego game instead regardless.

Man, I don't even like Lego games. This is actually worse? I'm kinda glad I didn't bite on it during the holidays at $15.

We all want it free on PS+ anyways, apparently.

SilentRob

One of few games during the last few years I stopped playing not because my interest kind of fizzled out or because I didn't have enough time but simply because i hated playing it so much. So repetitive. So frustrating.

The fundamentals of a good action game are there as far as there is an attack button and there are enemies. The similarities pretty much end there.

Synth

Man, I don't even like Lego games. This is actually worse?

I don't like Lego games either.. but yes, this is worse. I played 52 games last year, and Knack was comfortably the worst full release (Conker's Big Reunion for Project Spark being the only other contender).

Honestly, I usually don't even tend to post in threads about games I actively dislike... but Knack's special... it needs to be put on PS+ just to prevent others buying it out of curiosity, lol.

I don't like Lego games either.. but yes, this is worse. I played 52 games last year, and Knack was comfortably the worst full release (Conker's Big Reunion for Project Spark being the only other contender).

Honestly, I usually don't even tend to post in threads about games I actively dislike... but Knack's special... it needs to be put on PS+ just to prevent others buying it out of curiosity, lol.

Damn, brutal stuff. The reception to this game has been ranging from pretty tepid to outright negative. If it was put on PS+ I think it'd be a game that I played for "free" and still feel ripped off afterwards.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
They are very, very few games where I believe "play it on hard" is a legitimate defense, and Knack definitely is not one that I'd count as an exception.
You have to remember that the game had to appeal to children too. You can't have the adult mode under normal, because no kid will get past the first level.

I don't really care too much about defending a game that was only good, even by launch game standards, but it's such an easy punching bag that someone had to say something.

knack is one of those games that tries sooo hard to be 'charming', & just fails miserably. & i really dislike games like that :) ...

eFKac

Actually don't listen to what the OP says and play it on the hardest difficulty possible, because the enemy encounters and challenge are easily the best part of this game.

DJ_Lae

I really enjoyed my time with the game. Maybe it was due to playing it co-op with my daughter (even if the second player metal Knack makes absolutely no sense in the story and is never addressed). Maybe it's because I only paid $10.

Sure, it's overly long and the character designs are hideous, but I liked its deceptively simple beat-em-up nature and how the game wasn't afraid to punish you for mashing buttons with Knack often going down with a single hit from some enemies.

Could have done without some of the bosses, of course, as they were often more annoying than fun. But man, playing it on Easy would rob the game of the only worthwhile thing it has - the gameplay.

Synth

You have to remember that the game had to appeal to children too. You can't have the adult mode under normal, because no kid will get past the first level.

That's the thing though... they didn't do that. Normal in Knack is still waaaaay too difficult to be reasonable for young children, and can be legitimately frustrating at times even for a competent player. You still get peace'd out in 1 or 2 hits, checkpoints are still surprisingly far between, encounters are still frequently arranged to screw with the player and whiffing a single attack will still nearly always result in Knack sustaining a hit (of which 2 will kill him). The game may be more difficult on Hard, but the fundamental gameplay and considerations are all present and accounted for on the Normal difficulty too. It's not like Normal allows you to run around mashing buttons and bypassing the game's general system, and then the game becomes this diverse experience by upping the difficulty. The game is bad because it's bland, insanely repetitive, poorly arranged, and a whole lot of other negatives... "too easy by default" is not one of them, and additional difficulty is only of use to anyone that likes the game enough to actually want to play a lot more of it. Same as pretty much every other game in existence.

I know the game catches a good amount of shit here on GAF, but I think it's actually good that it does... because I honestly believe most people will hate their time with it, and if LTTP threads are only populated by a small minority that enjoyed it against all odds, then it creates a skewed perception that the game is a "hidden gem" that people are missing out on and should probably pay money to try. That's what I did, and I regret it entirely, lol.

cyber_ninja

I enjoyed the hell out of this game and I don't care what everybody says. Nice graphics, likable characters, solid gameplay and tight controls; reminded me of old school games. Bring on the sequel and screw the haters.

KiraXD

I enjoyed the hell out of this game and I don't care what everybody says. Nice graphics, likable characters, solid gameplay and tight controls; reminded me of old school games. Bring on the sequel and screw the haters.

the controls are anything BUT tight... like i said above, locking you in animations means horrible control over your character.

cyber_ninja

the controls are anything BUT tight... like i said above, locking you in animations means horrible control over your character.

Well, I did not have any troubles with controls, so they were tight for me. If you had an issue with them then its your problem pal. My experience was smooth and like I said I really liked this game.

The worst game I've played all generation. Granted I don't go out of my way to hunt down horrible experiences, but after some positive comments here on GAF and the incessant whining for it to hit PS+ I figured it might be worth the $10 or so that I paid. I was wrong.

Ranger X

I played this game with zero precise expectations and honestly I really liked it. I thought it was fun and the difficulty was perfect at "normal".

onken

I got it free, played it for about an hour at launch and uninstalled it. Very dull and soulless (and 30fps boo).

jwk94

OP, your biggest mistake was playing it on Normal. The proper way to experience Knack is on Hard, then Very Hard. Then you can take on any game. I need a sequel.

KevinCow

Banned
I bought this game on some sale like a year ago. Played the first level and didn't hate it, in fact it seemed like a fairly competent God of War sort of game for kids, but... I just had no desire to go back to it again for some reason, so I never picked it back up and played level 2.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The game was alright, but the character design, level design, story, music, etc., are definitely dull. The music alone can lull you to sleep. Would not replay.

SURGEdude

Well, I did not have any troubles with controls, so they were tight for me. If you had an issue with them then its your problem pal. My experience was smooth and like I said I really liked this game.

Locking players into a move because of a set animation is pretty much the polar opposite of tight mechanics.

Locking players into a move because of a set animation is pretty much the polar opposite of tight mechanics.
Or, knowing that in advance you learn not to commit to an attack unless you have a real opening and don't leave yourself exposed. Being able to instantly cancel out of any move or combo isn't the singular definition of tight controls.

It feels weird to make this argument specifically for Knack in this case, but its something I've seen a lot of over the years. You could say the same for plenty of other games as well.

Now some games do get this wrong. Like making a perfect parry in Mad Max could get you caught up in an animation that leaves you exposed to beat-downs from other enemies while you go through the motions. That's an example of animation priority getting in the way of player control, and being penalized for playing too well. Knack doesn't have that problem though.

Games a fun and enjoyable romp. Reminds me of a Pixar movie. Some cool moments, bosses, and even a tinch of platforming. Bring on Knack 2!

Knack the character is literally made of pieces of garbage, which tells you everything you need to know about the game.

dead8ouh5.gif

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
It was a decent game that felt like a throwback dreamcast launch title.... If that makes sense.

Playing on hard is essential, though. Grow a pair.

Tizoc

Actually don't listen to what the OP says and play it on the hardest difficulty possible, because the enemy encounters and challenge are easily the best part of this game.

Not when they're monotonous and get boring after the first hour and merely boil down to dodge and get be in range to attack with your tiny short limbs as Knack. Not even the combat offers anything substantial.

The entire concept could've been reworked to be a platformer and it would still work.

That's the thing though... they didn't do that. Normal in Knack is still waaaaay too difficult to be reasonable for young children, and can be legitimately frustrating at times even for a competent player. You still get peace'd out in 1 or 2 hits, checkpoints are still surprisingly far between, encounters are still frequently arranged to screw with the player and whiffing a single attack will still nearly always result in Knack sustaining a hit (of which 2 will kill him). The game may be more difficult on Hard, but the fundamental gameplay and considerations are all present and accounted for on the Normal difficulty too. It's not like Normal allows you to run around mashing buttons and bypassing the game's general system, and then the game becomes this diverse experience by upping the difficulty. The game is bad because it's bland, insanely repetitive, poorly arranged, and a whole lot of other negatives... "too easy by default" is not one of them, and additional difficulty is only of use to anyone that likes the game enough to actually want to play a lot more of it. Same as pretty much every other game in existence.

I know the game catches a good amount of shit here on GAF, but I think it's actually good that it does... because I honestly believe most people will hate their time with it, and if LTTP threads are only populated by a small minority that enjoyed it against all odds, then it creates a skewed perception that the game is a "hidden gem" that people are missing out on and should probably pay money to try. That's what I did, and I regret it entirely, lol.

Actually you wrote it better, that's how I feel too.

If anything the sections where is a giant or in his biggest size in a stage are rather fun because of how quickly and easy you can take out enemies, but those are so few and far between that it doesn't manage to save it. Plus Knack reverts to his mini form AT THE START OF EVERY CHAPTER.
Yes I know WHY but it is a bore to go about making him large again by playing another 15-30 mins. of enemy encounters that you could die at because you mistimed a jump or dodge, or the enemy RNG does something that causes you to die.
Doesn't help how mini Knack has hardly any range.

dottme

Www, I know it wasn't well appreciated on GAF, but I didn't realize it was at this level.

I really have a good time with it and a lot of fun. The story however was just ok.

fernoca

Www, I know it wasn't well appreciated on GAF, but I didn't realize it was at this level.

I really have a good time with it and a lot of fun. The story however was just ok.
It was the opposite at first at least.
The game was received with mixed impressions. But it was inundated by the praise Lord Cerny, OMG the game is like Crash and the posts (even threads) of how it was outselling Super Mario 3D World, dancing gifs, avatar bets...

Then people played the game.

Guess some over hyping the game didn't helped.

The game is not a disaster, is just...there. It's decent. I always said that I would've enjoyed the game more only controlling small Knack (or a big Knack that didn't talked), focused on smaller areas and more of the elemental powers.

Top Bottom