• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Akira or WTF did I just watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Bought it on Blu-Ray last night.

What the fuck? Seriously. I have no clue what happened.

Is this some movie I can only appreciate if I'm a philosophy major?

ckohler

Basically,
Tetsuo evolved into a god, started a Big Bang and created a new universe
. Or something like that.

TheExodu5

Banned
The Interrobanger said:
I'll take it off your hands.

No thanks. I payed $40 for this crap.

At least it looks nice, other than the fact that girls look like guys in the film.

ckohler said:
Basically,
Tetsuo evolved into a god, started a Big Bang and created a new universe
. Or something like that.

Yeah. I understood that much. It doesn't change the fact that it makes no sense at all. I mean, the scientist just looks at the pattern and is like: "oh shit,
this is the center of the universe!
".

WAT

El Papa

No, the animation is so beautiful, especially for such an old movie, that you could enjoy it if you don't understand everything.

btkadams

TheExodu5 said:
No thanks. I payed $40 for this crap.
kaneda-022309.jpg

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
TheExodu5 said:
Bought it on Blu-Ray last night.

What the fuck? Seriously. I have no clue what happened.

Is this some movie I can only appreciate if I'm a philosophy major?
No, you understood what was presented to you perfectly. People praise it because of the animation, not because the story's good.

oracrest

The comic series is incredible! Goes into a lot of stuff that I always thought was missing from superheroes in general (abuse of power, deifying the superheroes, stuff like that)

the movie came out before the comic was finished, so there is a lot of cool stuff they do toward the end that wasn't in the movie. Good stuff!

El Papa

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah. I understood that much. It doesn't change the fact that it makes no sense at all. I mean, the scientist just looks at the pattern and is like: "oh shit,
this is the center of the universe!
".

WAT
What about it don't you understand?

The scientist in the van is saying that the energy patterns he's seeing from Tetsuo and Akira are similar to a big bang. In the earlier version his line is "It's like a cosmic rebirth!"

That's what I got from it anyway.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Freshmaker said:
No, you understood what was presented to you perfectly. People praise it because of the animation, not because the story's good.
Yup. As a movie narrative, it's an absolute train wreck. But the animation is pretty cool, especially for an anime film of its time.

btkadams

Freshmaker said:
the story is awesome though! everything about akira is godly.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The story is fucking simple really: It's about two orphan friends part of a biker gang, growing up in Neo Tokyo abd becoming more and more distant from one another.

That's all. Tetsuo and Kaneda used to be good friends, but as they grew up, in a city where a lot of kids are left to themselves and believed to have no future, Kaneda's bold and "take it or leave it" attitude moved him further and further away from Tetsuo, who was still not much different than when he was a child; a scared and bullied child looking for a friend and a family. This leads him to try and prove to the rest of the gang that he's no child, ends up in contact with a mysterious power, and being unable to contain himself goes on to destroy his friends, his city and himself in an ill-fated attempt to be accepted.

I mean really, there is no need to figure out what Akira (the boy) is, this is junk left from the manga. The manga is complete shit, and the movie does in two hours what the manga couldn't do in a bunch books. The story is extremely simple, and the reason a lot of people are left thinking "WTF" is because they think the explosions and the laser beams are the story, rather than the relationship between Tetsuo and Kaneda. The whole Akira part, with the super powers and all, is just there as a plot device to allow us and Kaneda to see Tetsuo's feelings, which otherwise would be difficult to perceive and would require a much longer movie.

Really, watch it again with the understanding that the movie is about Tetsuo and Kaneda's lost friendship, and Tetsuo trying to prove that he isn't just a child, when he fact he still is.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah see that's that kind of artsy bullshit I can't just buy into. If you want to give me a story about Kameda and Tetsuo's friendship...just do that. Don't throw it into the worst sci-fi storyline ever.

I didn't like BSG and Blade Runner for trying to do the exact same thing.

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah see that's that kind of artsy bullshit I can't just buy into. If you want to give me a story about Kameda and Tetsuo's friendship...just do that. Don't throw it into the worst sci-fi storyline ever.

21bqfzl.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well the problem is that the movie is based on a manga, and the manga is shit.

Not everyone can like every movie, you're not special for not liking it:p

Red Scarlet

I was told to watch it twice for stuff to click, but I couldn't be bothered to watch it more. It's like a bunch of those other 'omgsogood' anime movies that I'm supposed to like but don't (Akira/GitS/Mononoke).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BTW anyone knows where I could find it on Blu-Ray but in French? I HATE the English translation. The French one was excellent.

Redd

Read the manga instead. Way longer and far better imo. Still a good movie though but I'm so glad I read Akira first.

qcf x2

TheExodu5 said:

Try re-watching it, looking for human characteristics. I dunno man, there's a lot to like about Akira beyond the plot, and no it's not just the animation. It's the world that's created there. The plot is kind of not the point, IMO. It's, as mentioned above, a story of a relationship as well as a not too different world in chaos. If you can't find value in that the second time through, then it's simply not the medium for you.

Akira is basically what you get if you take on the difficult task of condensing a somewhat long manga into movie length and fail at it. This is basically the reason why the story seems badly paced and convoluted as hell. I'd say that it's still worth it for all of the eye candy that can be had.
Although I'm not sure if I'd pay 40 bucks for it.

Tobor

We used to have a local UHF station where a dude would just show cool movies. He aired Akira one night when my buddy was over and it blew our minds. I'd never seen Japanese Animation outside of Voltron before.

That was almost 20 years ago, and I still have no idea what the movie was about. :lol

Zenith

Banned
The main attraction was the animation and visuals. It used something like 50 different shades of red at a time when anime could only manage basic bold colouring.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
TheExodu5 said:

:(

Something about Canada nuking Tokyo, and using small blue children as infantry.

And giant teddy bear robots who are powered by milk or something.

Wow. I thought I was the only one who thought Akira's story was crap.

The only thing I'll add is that you have to take into account that before the big anime boom in the west it was really hard to actually find anime in most of the country outside of Akira or random anime movies on the Sci-Fi Channel.

I guess people liked it because back then the animation was great for its time and anime was such a novelty over here. I'll take something like Vampire Hunter D over Akira, though I stopped watching anime like 15 years ago.

Peff

magicalsoundshower said:
Akira is basically what you get if you take on the difficult task of condensing a somewhat long manga into movie length and fail at it. This is basically the reason why the story seems badly paced and convoluted as hell. I'd say that it's still worth it for all of the eye candy that can be had.
Although I'm not sure if I'd pay 40 bucks for it.

Well, failing... it's not like it's possible to really cram six big volumes into an hour and a half just like that. Especially when the manga wasn't even finished and Otomo had no clue how to end it, which by the way, it's different from the movie, to begin with,
Akira is an actual character
. All in all, yeah, it's more confusing than it should be, but hey, it looks great :p

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Ether_Snake said:
BTW anyone knows where I could find it on Blu-Ray but in French? I HATE the English translation. The French one was excellent.

The French version of Evangelion was superb too. The color version of the manga is a lot better than the B/W version. I have the 14 volumes one.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
GillianSeed79 said:
Wow. I thought I was the only one who thought Akira's story was crap.

The only thing I'll add is that you have to take into account that before the big anime boom in the west it was really hard to actually find anime in most of the country outside of Akira or random anime movies on the Sci-Fi Channel.

I guess people liked it because back then the animation was great for its time and anime was such a novelty over here. I'll take something like Vampire Hunter D over Akira, though I stopped watching anime like 15 years ago.

I seem to remember when it first came to theaters here in NA, there were a lot of advertisements regarding it being from Japan and having excellent animation.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
thetechkid said:
Is the movie different from the manga in any way?

The manga's story is about nothing. It's the equivalent of your average pointless manga story, and it probably sucks for the same reason that most comic books or manga sucks; their length gives the author the chance to improvise as he writes it, to the point where eventually it's as thin as a paper sheet and the story becomes a pointless mess.

The movie is a nice self-contained simple human story, where the author was force to actually think about a way to present a story that could be wrapped up in two hours, with a backdrop of flashy action sequences. The manga just doesn't know where it's going (like it is being improvised as we go along). It's really bad, but most manga/comic books are really.

TheExodu5

Banned
qcf x2 said:
Try re-watching it, looking for human characteristics. I dunno man, there's a lot to like about Akira beyond the plot, and no it's not just the animation. It's the world that's created there. The plot is kind of not the point, IMO. It's, as mentioned above, a story of a relationship as well as a not too different world in chaos. If you can't find value in that the second time through, then it's simply not the medium for you.

I didn't like Children of Men for giving me the exact same thing (but better, IMO), so I don't think I'll appreciate this one either.

Red Scarlet said:
I was told to watch it twice for stuff to click, but I couldn't be bothered to watch it more. It's like a bunch of those other 'omgsogood' anime movies that I'm supposed to like but don't (Akira/GitS/Mononoke).

Yeah, not a fan of Mononoke either. Now, I actually really liked Spirited Away though. It was charmingly imaginitive.

oracrest

thetechkid said:
Is the movie different from the manga in any way?

the stories are similar, but the book elaborates a lot between tetsuo breaking free from the center, and ultimately going out of control. Roughly 1/3 of the manga story is not in the movie. Also, the art in the book is incredible. I found his ability to potray speed and movement in still ages to be particularly awesome, and there is much deeper character development in the books.

I thought some of the more interesting points were left out of the movie. Tetsuo taking over as leader as the clowns being one.

If you liked the movie, they are worth checking out.

7Th

Akira is, quite simply, one of the most beautifully animated movies of all time.

TheExodu5 said:

I didn't like Blade Runner for trying to do the exact same thing.

That's real lame.

Akira the movie is really stiff compared to the comic, because the movie forgot HALF of the comic but still put the comic's ending after that. It feels like... missing half of the material, really.

But the atmospheric that made Akira so special is still here and the animation and music are awesome.

randomwab

I'm still pissed that the Blu-Ray doesn't include the original English dub. How hard would it have been to throw that in.

TETSUO!

JeFfRey said:
The French version of Evangelion was superb too. The color version of the manga is a lot better than the B/W version. I have the 14 volumes one.

I second that so hard that I'm going to read them right now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I can't understand how anyone prefers the mangas to the movie. The story in the manga is meaningless, drags on, and was obviously being improvised along the way. The movie actually has focus, it's just that the actual story of the characters is not in your face. It's obvious that Otomo had the chance to actually sit down and write the thing down and think about it like a novelist would, or a script writer, unlike the manga which was just being drawn because he was asked to make a serial and he'd never know for how much longer it would go.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
One of the best animated movies ever made. Rich, fluid animations with good direction, even if it's hard to understand at times.

A must watch for any adult fan of animation.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Ether_Snake said:
I can't understand how anyone prefers the mangas to the movie. The story in the manga is meaningless, drags on, and was obviously being improvised along the way. The movie actually has focus, it's just that the actual story of the characters is not in your face. It's obvious that Otomo had the chance to actually sit down and write the thing down and think about it like a novelist would, or a script writer, unlike the manga which was just being drawn because he was asked to make a serial and he'd never know for how much longer it would go.

Sounds like the manga simply didn't hold your attention, which is understandable, but to call it meaningless is pretty naive. It's about very different things, and it's a much more sprawling story that doesn't really have a truly central character, but that doesn't make it inferior. I actually prefer the manga because it deals more with the post-apocalyptic aftermath of the unleashing of Akira's power, and has a sort of cyberpunk Lord of the Flies flavor to it. The Kaneda/Tetsuo relationship is handled with much more focus in the film, but I'd say it is explored far more fully in the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom