• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Akira or WTF did I just watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasein

NaughtyCalibur said:
I fucking hate Neon Genesis Evangelion

bgdbd.gif

WTF

Ikael

It is a terribly overrated movie that tried to condensate several huge manga books into a few animation minutes and thus failed horribly to create any kind of coherent narrative. But animation - wise, it is a groundbreaking piece.

tino

Banned
The last half hour is typical Japanese animepocalypse bullshit. Even Princess Mononoke didn't avoid that insane vibe. Basically atomic radiation has mutated Japanese sensitivity to a different dimension.

Other than that, its one of the best animation.

dasein said:

I think this is the second time I got an avatar quote for saying I hated Evangelion. :lol

I just couldn't stand Shinji's angst-ridden ass one bit. If I don't particularly like a show's protagonist, then I'll generally dislike the show. It's the same reason why I didn't enjoy Trigun.

Blader

NaughtyCalibur said:
I think this is the second time I got an avatar quote for saying I hated Evangelion. :lol

I just couldn't stand Shinji's angst-ridden ass one bit. If I don't particularly like a show's protagonist, then I'll generally dislike the show. It's the same reason why I didn't enjoy Trigun.

I don't remember Trigun being angst-ridden.

Except for that one episode...

dasein

NaughtyCalibur said:
I just couldn't stand Shinji's angst-ridden ass one bit. If I don't particularly like a show's protagonist, then I'll generally dislike the show.
8we53p.gif

GTFO

j/k you're okay :)

Haunted

Red Scarlet said:
I was told to watch it twice for stuff to click, but I couldn't be bothered to watch it more. It's like a bunch of those other 'omgsogood' anime movies that I'm supposed to like but don't (Akira/GitS/Mononoke).
:eek:

Berkoff

Banned
I hate the way Akira always get shit on because its loved by teenage boys. Its amazing, and a ground breaking piece of animation. Never read the manga though, I dont understand how it could continue the story, how do you carry on from the
end of the universe?

Haunted

Berkoff said:
I hate the way Akira always get shit on because its loved by teenage boys. Its amazing, and a ground breaking piece of animation. Never read the manga though, I dont understand how it could continue the story, how do you carry on from the
end of the universe?
The Anime adaptation differs from the source material.

edit: a possible reason could be that the manga wasn't finished (ran from 82-90) when the movie was made (88), even though the author was also involved in the movie iirc.

edit²: that's not a criticism btw, it's basically impossible to condense a 2000-page manga into a two hour movie.

GCX

The manga version is a visual masterpiece. Otomo must've become insane with all that attention to detail. Seriously, it's just crazy.

I bought this on BR and I haven't even cracked it open yet! (Bought it when it first dropped). I guess I should watch it sooner then later as I loved it when I had originally watched the VHS AGES ago...

Kosma

Banned
Excuse me did you just suggest that Blade Runner shouldnt be sci fi?

That could be one of the stupidest things I ever read on this board.

faridmon

Smelly Tramp said:
Complaining about the movie not making sense even though you have a Death Note avatar. That's rich.

...and you don't like Blade Runner? What the hell man.
WTF? Death Note* is one of the few animes that makes sense and the on of the few of those few Anime that apear to have some intelligence while making sense.

your comment is just silly. Even baiting for someone to just come against your silly comment is just an understatement.

well atleast the first half where the charcter of his avatar was in

Fritz said:
L.png

I reckon you prefer your anime the other way around

*sigh*

Socreges

Banned
Dan said:
In this thread people complain about sci-fi movies that don't hold your hand through overly familiar stories. Meanwhile, the Avatar thread continues to be a circle jerk of joyous praise.

Ugh, I hate this world.
Dude was banned for this?

I actually think he's wrong, but come on. Someone doesn't have a spine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom