• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Avatar: The Last Airbender

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

I'm okay with being spoiled. I started off by watching Season 3, so I have a pretty good idea of how Season 2 will end.

I haven't seen all of season 3 though. Just the beginning, with Aang going to Firebending school and Katara saving the town for some reason. But it's these episodes that got me interested in seeing the whole thing anyway, so they're not that bad (at least, compared to my expectations of the show).

BorkBork said:
Two words: Exposition Diarrhea. It was one of the few episodes that made me cringe.

BUT IF WE DONT STAND AROUND AND ARGUE ABOUT OUR FEELINGS THEN HOW WILL THE AUDIENCE KNOW THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO CARE ABOUT US?

Season 3 is great, if you can completely ignore Zuko.

Edit: And Suki.

I thought The Beach was just fine. Yeah, it was a little heavy on the exposition, but you guys make it sound like your eyes bled.

It was ok. It was just that the rest of the series was that much the better.

The Beach is probably on par with most of Season 1, it's just that by the time you get to it you've been exposed to the almighty Season 2 and having the writing drop a gear sucks.

It tends to hit you in the face with the whole "LOOK WE HAVE FEELINGS AND DEPTH, HOW BOUT THAT" thing, but at that point it was probably needed for the characters involved.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
FlightOfHeaven said:
I thought The Beach was just fine. Yeah, it was a little heavy on the exposition, but you guys make it sound like your eyes bled.

It was ok. It was just that the rest of the series was that much the better.

Yeah, it's not horrible and actually quite funny, but I'm super allergic to teenage soap dramas, so I tend to overreact to anything remotely resembling it.

I didn't have a problem with The Beach's story or dialogue, but I thought it was the worst-animated episode. Every character had the same, unshifting shadows on their face. It was just really lazy for a show that had some pretty amazing animation otherwise.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Son of Godzilla said:
BUT IF WE DONT STAND AROUND AND ARGUE ABOUT OUR FEELINGS THEN HOW WILL THE AUDIENCE KNOW THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO CARE ABOUT US?

Season 3 is great, if you can completely ignore Zuko.

Edit: And Suki.

ok yeah ignore suki, she's worthless, but zuko? You my friend have missed the point of the show.

BorkBork

:lol I feel bad for Rewrite by leading the Beach bashing. Let's just list GOOD episodes instead. My Top 5:

5.) Season 3x16 - Southern Raiders:
Darkest episode in the series. Glad that creators agreed with my intepretation that the core of the episode was "the Desert" with the characters reversed. This should have been a two parter instead of the Boiling Rock.

4.) Season 1x12 - The Storm: First glimpse into Aang and Zuko's past.
Brilliant back and forth parallelism between the two, not to mention the symbolism. Bonus points for Azula showing up as a Chekov gunsman; I love picking out that stuff later on subsequent rewatches. Bit of a weak act 3, but the first two more than compensates.

3.) Season 2x20 - Crossroads of Destiny: Choices. Love. Power. Brilliance. I could write pages on each of those elements for this episode. I still cannot fathom how much awesome they crammed into this.

2.) Season 2x11 - The Desert: Character development out the ass, with logical and hilarious plot tools to
incapacitate badass Toph and smart Sokka. Dark Aang kills something for the first time. Katara becomes my favorite character of the show. Ending is a classic case of show, don't tell. Mother of all Cooldown Hugs.

1.) Season 3 - Sozin's Comet Finale: Bit of a cheat, but each of the last three episodes contained scenes which made the finale one of the most satisfying conclusion of any show/movie/book I have ever experienced.

PBalfredo

adamsappel said:
I didn't have a problem with The Beach's story or dialogue, but I thought it was the worst-animated episode. Every character had the same, unshifting shadows on their face. It was just really lazy for a show that had some pretty amazing animation otherwise.

I remember that The Swamp in Season 2 also had animation that was way below par for the series. It's like when they were budgeting their animation for each season, The Swamp and The Beach drew the short straws. Not broken up over it because The Swamp is a passable episode. Nothing really happens except they foreshadow Toph joining and remind the viewer that Sokka and Katara are sad about dead people. One of the few filler-ish episodes of the series.

As for The Beach, yeah the character exposition on Ty Lee and Mai came in too late and too hallow. But the rest of the episode was fine. If nothing else, socially awkward Azula is hilarious. First time we see
Sparky Sparky Boom Man
in action too.

Also: Suki hate? wat?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I was another one of the ultra skeptics about the show. Sure enough I loved it when I actually watched it :lol

Season 3 is the highlight for sure, season 2 was nice too. I think Season 1 is the "worst" one because it feels like it needs to warrant its existence to Nickelodeon too much. By this I mean that theres a lot of very stereotypical episodes in that season that revolve around preachy themes, we have the "stealing is bad" episode, the "rushing to conclusions" is bad episode, etc, etc the show was more concerned about teaching life lessons than about the story and its characters, Season 2 onwards the real fun begins and its much more about character exploration.

I thought Azula and the Firelord were pretty forgettable characters, very one dimensional characters, as opposed to the rest of the cast. Zuko was definitely the best one, a tad emo for sure, but with good reason.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
BorkBork said:
Hey some consideration for Anihawk, guys. Spoiler that stuff!

If you liked Season 1, I don't get why you hated the first half of Season 3. It's exactly the same, with better direction and a cohesive goal. The first few episodes
are necessary for fleshing out the Fire Nation and prove that 1.) Fire Nation children aren't really depraved little fire monsters, 2.) Not everyone in the Fire Nation is happy or prosperous under the current regime and 3.) the Gaang have allies in the unlikeliest of places. The Avatar and the Firelord is one of the best episodes in the entire series, and then the last few episodes until the Day of Black Sun are all focused on character development. Not really that bad (except for the Beach)

Well, a big part of it had to do with the fact that
the writing took a nosedive. I'll never be able to get the scene in the episode -with the forest where people disappear- where the old lady says "people come in, but they don't come OUT!" *dun dun duunnn* Also, might have not bothered a lot of people, but they also toned down a lot of the death aspects. It was no longer 'kill him', but rather something like 'end him' or whatever. I'll admit, this is something that I would probably find more irritating than others, but still. There are more reasons but I need some time to gather my thoughts. :p

Also, apologies to Anihawk. I didn't know you didn't see the whole series.

Oblivion said:
Well, a big part of it had to do with the fact that
the writing took a nosedive. I'll never be able to get the scene in the episode -with the forest where people disappear- where the old lady says "people come in, but they don't come OUT!" *dun dun duunnn*
That's called The Puppeteer, I believe. I actually think it's the darkest episode. The blood-bending is creepy. It's the only episode I didn't let my daughter watch.

Also, might have not bothered a lot of people, but they also toned down a lot of the death aspects. It was no longer 'kill him', but rather something like 'end him' or whatever. I'll admit, this is something that I would probably find more irritating than others, but still. There are more reasons but I need some time to gather my thoughts. :p
Nickelodeon told the writers to drop the death references. But, one of the things I most admire about the show is how serious and mature it is. I always felt that people were dying in those battles, no matter what they claim in the finale.

Son of Godzilla said:
Yes, Zuko. I like the character, but his arc in season 3 is beyond worthless.
Elaborate. What's worthless about his arc?

In the first 2 seasons Zuko's quest to restore his honor and his grandfathers want from him to choose a more open minded destiny is constantly shoved in our faces(foreshadowing anyone?). You seriously think him restoring his honor, not being happy, and the events that got him to choose the right destiny is worthless? Him finding out the Avatar and his grandfather were friends is really important.

All of this logically should and has to happen before he teaches Ang firebending.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Son of Godzilla said:
I didn't think it was worthless at all. He changed and had a major role in
teaching (lol) Aang Firebending, going with Katara to find revenge for the killer of her mother, going with Zokka to Boiling Rock to save Zuki and his father, and trying to convince his good side with the gang.

Rewrite said:
I didn't think it was worthless at all. He changed and had a major role in
teaching (lol) Aang Firebending, going with Katara to find revenge for the killer of her mother, going with Zokka to Boiling Rock to save Zuki and his father, and trying to convince his good side with the gang.
Not to mention all this had to happen for him to become firelord.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
PBalfredo said:
I remember that The Swamp in Season 2 also had animation that was way below par for the series. It's like when they were budgeting their animation for each season, The Swamp and The Beach drew the short straws. Not broken up over it because The Swamp is a passable episode. Nothing really happens except they foreshadow Toph joining and remind the viewer that Sokka and Katara are sad about dead people. One of the few filler-ish episodes of the series.

As for The Beach, yeah the character exposition on Ty Lee and Mai came in too late and too hallow. But the rest of the episode was fine. If nothing else, socially awkward Azula is hilarious. First time we see
Sparky Sparky Boom Man
in action too.

Also: Suki hate? wat?
I'm pretty sure "The Beach" wasted their entire episode budget on that one minute fight with Sparky Sparky Boom Man :lol

EDIT: To be specific, THIS SCENE probably cost them all their money

BorkBork

Son of Godzilla said:

His role in the first half of Season 3
was to come to grips with everything after his exile and to live with the choice he made in Crossroads of Destiny. He has everything he wants, but it's not what he imagined it would be, and he still feels conflicted about betraying Iroh. It's not until Iroh reveals Zuko's relationship with Roku and Sozin that he truly understands the conflict within himself. Azula and Ozai's insane plan during the war meeting forces him to reassess himself and finally puts him on the right path after an epic showdown with his father. However, in doing so he leaves the one person who cared for and accepted him for who he is behind.

His role in the second half of Season 3 was to make amends to the people he has wronged during the series and progresses in terms of difficulty. He has not wronged Toph other than burning her feet, so there's no need there. He teaches Aang firebending, fulfilling the conversation they had in Season 1 in the Blue Spirit. He wins over Sokka, the pragmatic one who sees the value of having him in the group. He leaves Mai behind again, but she doesn't leave him and orchestrates a series of events which culminate in the fall of Azula.

He then tries to win over Katara, albeit in an extremely dangerous and unhealthy way by facilitating her anger and grief into hunting down and murdering someone, and by belittling the very person who chose to forgive him first. Such is his character flaw of being an idiot, and I appreciated it being shown again.

In the finale, he comes to terms with the person he has hurt the most: Iroh. And Iroh forgives him unquestionably and tells him that he is who he is through his trials and tribulations in this piece of dialogue:
Iroh: No. Someone new must take the throne. An idealist with a pure heart and unquestionable honour. It has to be you, Prince Zuko.
Zuko: Unquestionable honour‌ But I’ve made so many mistakes.
Iroh: Yes, you have. You struggled, you suffered but you have always followed your own path, you restored your own honour. And only you can restore the honour of the Fire Nation.

And so he does. Someone said this about his character progression. Zuko spends Season 1 acting without thinking, attempting to please his father. He spends Season 2 thinking without acting, trying to please Uncle. In Season 3, he finally decides to do both, and to shape his own destiny and make his own choices.

Damn that was long. But Zuko's a great character.

I love how it's actually arguable that Zuko is the main character of the series.

I think he actually gets more character development than the entire Gaang combined.

BorkBork

wackojackosnose said:
I love how it's actually arguable that Zuko is the main character of the series.

I think he actually gets more character development than the entire Gaang combined.

I think Zuko has the most character development just because he has the farthest to go, from a narrative standpoint.
He's the ultimate redemption character.

As for main characters, there are three in the show: Aang, Katara, and Zuko. It's their coming of age story (and to a lesser extent, Sokka and Toph, as much as I love them). The show was always built on several key foundations since its conception: a three season story, the dual narrative structure between Zuko and Aang, and the Aang/Katara relationship.

On a second viewing I found I actually enjoyed the way they handled Aang's character development the most. Zuko's, while interesting, is about as subtle as a hammer to the face. Aang on the other hand changes from this goofy kid that just wants to screw around into a powerful, mature young man who can tackle his problems head on, without the changes really being obvious at all.

When my niece and nephew are a little older I'll definitely be giving them this to watch.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
BorkBork said:
I think Zuko has the most character development just because he has the farthest to go, from a narrative standpoint.
He's the ultimate redemption character.

As for main characters, there are three in the show: Aang, Katara, and Zuko. It's their coming of age story (and to a lesser extent, Sokka and Toph, as much as I love them). The show was always built on several key foundations since its conception: a three season story, the dual narrative structure between Zuko and Aang, and the Aang/Katara relationship.

I tend to disagree. I believe the main characters are Aang and Zuko and that's it. The rest are side characters and a supporting cast. I'm not sure if this is what the writers intended, that is just how I see it. Hell I don't even think they ever meant for Zuko to be such a deep character, just because the show got off to such a lousy start with season 1.

BorkBork

bananabread said:
On a second viewing I found I actually enjoyed the way they handled Aang's character development the most. Zuko's, while interesting, is about as subtle as a hammer to the face. Aang on the other hand changes from this goofy kid that just wants to screw around into a powerful, mature young man who can tackle his problems head on, without the changes really being obvious at all.

When my niece and nephew are a little older I'll definitely be giving them this to watch.

Aang definitely breaks a lot of stereotypes of a lot of typical coming of age protagonists. When it comes down to it, he's much more mature than Zuko when it comes to dealing with... everything. He shoulders more responsibilities and grief (of losing his entire people) than anyone, yet due to his upbringing and his bond with Katara, he's able to move on and retain very little emotional baggage (Unlike Zuko for most of the series, who has reams of daddy and mommy issues). He does have a major character flaw of running away when things become too much, but he always comes back to deal with problems when it really matters.

msdstc said:
I tend to disagree. I believe the main characters are Aang and Zuko and that's it. The rest are side characters and a supporting cast. I'm not sure if this is what the writers intended, that is just how I see it. Hell I don't even think they ever meant for Zuko to be such a deep character, just because the show got off to such a lousy start with season 1.

As I said, the writers intended from the start to have Aang/Zuko as foils to each other on opposite sides coming together in the end. Katara is the perspective from which the story is told. (She is the narrator for the intro, and her role is made clear from the slightly different introduction in the first episode.) The writers consider her to be as important as Aang and Zuko and stated that explicitly in one of the commentaries.

Bit-Bit

I love Avatar discussions. Such a great gem that I bring out whenever I talk about animated shows that has mature themes for everyone.

traveler

Not Wario
So, like many here, I'd dismissed the show as a kid's show as well. In the time since its end, though, I've been told to watch it by no less than 7 different people. That plus all the recommendations here have led me to watch it.

Problem is- I can't. I went to Nick's site to stream them, but it only has 10 episodes listed for the first season (which has 20) and the first episode ends at the 6 minute mark. Anyone have any idea as to what is going on and, if not, I don't take it there is any other legal way to watch the show aside from just assuming I'm going to enjoy it enough to warrant a purchase and buy the DVDs?

BorkBork

traveler said:
So, like many here, I'd dismissed the show as a kid's show as well. In the time since its end, though, I've been told to watch it by no less than 7 different people. That plus all the recommendations here have led me to watch it.

Problem is- I can't. I went to Nick's site to stream them, but it only has 10 episodes listed for the first season (which has 20) and the first episode ends at the 6 minute mark. Anyone have any idea as to what is going on and, if not, I don't take it there is any other legal way to watch the show aside from just assuming I'm going to enjoy it enough to warrant a purchase and buy the DVDs?

If you're in the states, try hulu? I actually watched the entire first two seasons on avatarchapters.org. Not the greatest quality though.

grandjedi6

traveler said:

Nick use to have them all up but have since removed them (likely to promote DVD sales).
BorkBork said:
If you're in the states, try hulu? I actually watched the entire first two seasons on avatarchapters.org. Not the greatest quality though.
Avatar isn't on Hulu. Instead it just links back to Nickelodeon's site which brings us back to the original problem

And avatarchapters isn't exactly official... :lol

bachikarn

So is there any plan to continue the series? I remember hearing before they were going to make direct to TV movies after the finale. While the main plot was definitely resolved in the finale, there definitely were some loose ends.

traveler

Not Wario
grandjedi6 said:
Nick use to have them all up but have since removed them (likely to promote DVD sales).

Avatar isn't on Hulu. Instead it just links back to Nickelodeon's site which brings us back to the original problem

And avatarchapters isn't exactly official... :lol

Well crap. :lol

Guess I'll just change up my Netflix queue and wait. :/

AniHawk

Wow. Just got done with The Tales of Ba Sing Se. What a horrible episode. That is the shit that I had pictured this series to be before I ever watched it. And it comes right after such a creepy episode too.

No way The Beach could possibly be worse. No way.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
AniHawk said:
Wow. Just got done with The Tales of Ba Sing Se. What a horrible episode. That is the shit that I had pictured this series to be before I ever watched it. And it comes right after such a creepy episode too.

If you say it like that....you might be surprised...but I liked both of those episodes. :( Do I just like the worst episodes of Avatar or what now? Seriously. :lol

Shouta

AniHawk said:

Wat. Tales of Ba Sing Se was a great episode, especially as a breather and how each individual episode worked well on its own. The Iroh section... ;( Unless I`m thinking of a different episode.

The Beach is god awful. By far the worst episode in the series. It wasted an entire episode doing almost nothing.

AniHawk

Shouta said:
Wat. Tales of Ba Sing Se was a great episode, especially as a breather and how each individual episode worked well on its own. The Iroh section... ;( Unless I`m thinking of a different episode.

The Beach is god awful. By far the worst episode in the series. It wasted an entire episode doing almost nothing.

I guess what bugs me about it most is that it just came off this really dark episode, the shadow-leader guy is controlling everything behind the scenes, Appa's still missing, and so Toph and Zatara go get girly, Aang helps a zookeeper, Sokka's a poet and he didn't even know it, and... well, Momo's really the only one that kinda makes sense. It's just really jarring since I'm watching the series one DVD at a time.

grandjedi6

AniHawk said:
I guess what bugs me about it most is that it just came off this really dark episode, the shadow-leader guy is controlling everything behind the scenes, Appa's still missing, and so Toph and Zatara go get girly, Aang helps a zookeeper, Sokka's a poet and he didn't even know it, and... well, Momo's really the only one that kinda makes sense. It's just really jarring since I'm watching the series one DVD at a time.
That was its point. It was a breather episode.

Plus:
2m2fcjn.gif

The throw-away episodes are quite annoying if you're following the series in it's original weekly format, especially if you've just come off a main arc episode. It was only really a problem with S03 when the 1st half seemed like mostly filler episodes, but if you're catching up now it shouldn't be a problem cos you can just load up the next episode as soon as you're done instead of waiting through the erratic broadcast schedule as most people did.

Let us know what you think of "The Ember Island Players" (S03E17) though. It's a recap episode of the entire series, but it's what I think is the greatest recap episode ever. Ever.

I didn't like Tales at first either, it was such a jarring change of pace compared to how on track the story progression is in season 2. Plus it's like the last ep on a disc I think, it's just a weird way to take a break from the series.

But the Mako tribute is pretty touching, and the rest of the tales are cute enough if you aren't expecting an actual episode. It's probably the most rewatchable ep in season 2, next to like The Drill or something, just because of how little it relies on plot progression and how little Aang is present.

BorkBork

I quite like the Iroh and Zuko segments. Iroh for obvious reasons, but Zuko just to show he's a complete tard with the ladies. :lol Momo's segment does tie directly into the next episode as well, but yeah it does seem to break the flow of the season as a breather episode.

traveler

Not Wario
grandjedi6 said:
That was its point. It was a breather episode.

Plus:
2m2fcjn.gif

I JUST finished watching this. Only part of the show thus far that's actually moved me.

Speaking of which, the show as a whole is pretty good, with the obvious caveat that it's still clearly meant for kids primarily. This isn't Harry Potter (which I would argue is equally as entertaining, if not moreso, for adults than kids despite being aimed at kids initially) but it is a decent show. That, and the fact that it has a defined ending that the writers obviously planned for from the beginning, has me willing to see it through to the end.

After I spent the last month watching all the episodes of this show, I was surprised with how good it was.

I thought it was going to be a cash-in by Nickelodeon on the whole anime craze, and while it certainly was a cash-in on the anime craze, that doesn't detract from the quality of the show. It's definitely one of the best animated series I've watched.

AniHawk

Just finished season 2. Whoever said it was like The Empire Strikes Back was right. Good stuff.

Now for some Mark Hamill goodness.

BorkBork

traveler said:
I JUST finished watching this. Only part of the show thus far that's actually moved me.

Wow. You watched one and a half seasons in a day? :lol
As for moving moments, there were quite a few for me in Season 1 and Season 2 up to Tales of Ba Sing Se.

- Aang and Gyatso, with Aang running away in the Storm
- Iroh sending off Zuko in his kayak in Siege of the North 1
- Zuko and Song, with Zuko caught stealing the ostrich bird in the Cave of Two Lovers
- Conversation between Zuko and his mother in Zuko Alone
- All of the Desert, Aang/Katara reconciliation scene in Serpent's Pass

Speaking of which, the show as a whole is pretty good, with the obvious caveat that it's still clearly meant for kids primarily. This isn't Harry Potter (which I would argue is equally as entertaining, if not moreso, for adults than kids despite being aimed at kids initially) but it is a decent show. That, and the fact that it has a defined ending that the writers obviously planned for from the beginning, has me willing to see it through to the end.

The show being aimed primarily at kids is one of its strengths. It allowed the show to focus on and execute basic elements well without going into convoluted plots and unnecessary twists. There are tons of things I can pick out and enjoy as an adult (Chekov's guns, mature themes, animation sequence originality, martial arts influences, animation blocking similarities) that make me enjoy it on another level, but it doesn't detract from the fact that it's immediately accessible to children while never dumbing things down, who love the magic kung fu and slapstick comedy. The hardest thing for a piece of entertainment to do is to have elements that appeal to everyone, and I love the show for it.

As for the Harry Potter comparison, I've just recently done a reread of the Harry Potter books, and I would argue that while HP is obviously the darker series, Avatar has a tighter narrative, a superior and more logically consistent mythology, more likeable protagonists with more character development, and less filler.

Anihawk said:
Just finished season 2. Whoever said it was like The Empire Strikes Back was right. Good stuff.

Now for some Mark Hamill goodness.

I said that, glad you enjoyed the finale. Other noteworthy voice actor cameos in Season 3 include:
T-1000.gif

240px-Serena_Williams_July_2008.jpg

hellboy_pic2.jpg

debbie_downer.jpg

Trailer for 1st half of Season 3 if you haven't started.

Trailer for after the Eclipse, half way point of the season

traveler

Not Wario
They're 20 minutes long and I had nothing better to do these few days. I'm on Spring Break and all my buds at different colleges have different Spring Breaks. :p

And, wow, WTF happened. The last 2 episodes of Season 2 were fantastic after a whole season of excellence, the first episode of Book 3 was a nice recap for those who'd waited a while with some excellent setups for the rest of the season, but the following 4 episodes (with the exception of Sokka's Master) absolutely sucked. The worst episodes of the show, with the Beach taking the cake by far. Zuko totally stepped over the line from flawed, but interesting, antihero to total emo kid stereotype,
Aang gets spotted in about the most stupid way possible,
and the entire show felt like a poor teen soap. Just wow. At least the show can only go up from here. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom