• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Batman Arkham Knight (marked spoilers)

jennetics

Is it considered a party if no one seems to have showed up? What if most people didn't like the chips/drinks that the hosts brought and hated the party to begin with?

200.gif

Bad analogies aside, I've been playing through Arkham Knight on the PS4 and I have to say...I'm actually really enjoying it. I've played through both Arkham Asylum and City and I'm big fans of both of those as well. I'm about 55% of the way through the story and though the Arkham Knight hasn't been revealed in game, I've already been told that it's
Jason Todd
(thanks Greg Miller...). That said, it's kinda hard not to figure out who it is during the course of the story, which is kind of a shame.

Everything about the game has been super fun imo. The combat feels great (just like the other Arkham games), the sidequests hit just the right amount of "markers on a map" without the feeling of being overwhelmed, the graphics are beautiful, the voice acting is generally well done, and the story so far has been really engaging.

200.gif

Leading up to playing the game, I heard most complaints about the game stemming from an over-use of the Batmobile. I actually haven't really been bothered by it so far, though, like I said, I'm only about halfway through the game...I may get tired of it by then.

I think a lot of my enjoyment from the game comes from me only playing a few hours at a time. I started playing approx. 2 weeks ago and I haven't felt burned out on any of the missions/Batmobile segments.

If I could complain about anything, it's that the script is sometimes a bit of a dud, and the Riddler side-missions were a drag.

Again, I'll probably have a totally different opinion on the game by the end of it. As of right now, however, I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Anyways, just my take! What'd you guys like/dislike about Arkham Knight? Mark your spoilers, please...I'm still playing through :)

Salsa

production values are probably the most insane i've seen on a game

it's cinematic as fuck (*PC port framerate joke*)

other than that, it just eventually became more of the same and a little stale at this point in the series

but the core gameplay is still so much fun after all these years that it was very much worth a playthrough

no issues with batmobile

... except when I had to do some of it's sidemissions cause of that stupid ending unlock bs

Mediking

Really hope Rocksteady learns from all the mistakes from this game. No offense but Arkham Knight is just.... Bu hey! If you're enjoying yourself then that's what matters!

I adored this game. Picked it up for £16 earlier in the year and completed it 100 per cent. Top class in almost every aspect.

Rocksteady are up there with the very best if you ask me, I can't wait to see what they do next.

mrqs

Loved the gameplay mechanics, but the story was really thin. Btw, this game has one of the best greaphics of this generation. Realy awesome.

I'm almost finished with my first playthrough and while I completely understand the complaints about the batmobile and agree with them, I can say I enjoyed the hand to hand combat, stealth and traversal. Not as good as Asylum or City but I think it is a fairly good game.

I do think it is time to put this to rest though.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Loved it as well, probably my favorite after Arkham Asylum. Looks incredible, plays very well, story is decent, voice acting is amazing, the atmosphere is absolutely phenomenal.

I loved it. Not crazy about the batmobile (too much of it), but i thought the game was great. All of them were great imo.

Menitta

I thought it was ok, overall. The batmobile being involved in the puzzles weren't great.

I think I'd be able to enjoy it much more if
the joker was gone. I am sick to fucking death of that character. It just felt like such a cheap way to get the character in the game.

I didn't care for it in Origins, and it's back in this, and I'm like "fuck oooooooffff"

Sheppard

other than that, it just eventually became more of the same and a little stale at this point in the series

I think this is a bit more real then I realized. If this was a trilogy, it isn't because of Arkham Origins, the whole game felt like a step back from what Origins gave us.

epmode

Now that some of the PC port issues were ironed out (it runs well on last generation's Titan X, anyway) and the game's been on sale, I've been having a good time with Arkham Knight. Sometimes production values are enough for me, and this is one of those times. It helps that the base batman stuff is still so much fun.

Not sold on the Batmobile sections but it's been more than tolerable so far.

The hate was overblown due to the Batmobile but I was disappointed in the lack of interiors. Just recently started a replay and still think it's pretty awesome.

Arkham Knight retroactively soured me on one of my favourite gaming franchises.

Spoilers ahead

The whole "thing" they had going with the Arkham Knight only to reveal who it finally was is one of the most disgusting things I've seen a series do to it's fans In fact I'm fairly sure they explicitly said prior to launch it wasn't who it turned out to be and it was a new character. A poor mans Red Hood storyline was awful

not to mention the desperate need to include every character they could think of and then some even hardcore fans didn't give a shit about. The weak ass deathstroke encounter for example.

Beyond the lackluster fanwank of a story the gameplay has sloppy forced Batmobile sections that drag on way longer than they should and because of the size of the city your forced into the thing for even longer periods.

Then to top it all off a shitty PC port that is still a nightmare to play today.

It was a good time. The hate that it gets is more or less justified but even then it suffers from poor pacing and encounter design than any bad gameplay mechanics. I thought it was a good game, which is roughly on par with Asylum and Origins for me.

City was. however, a superb game, so as long as we have that I'm Gucci.

Neff

Best in the series and my favourite game of last year. Stealth, combat and puzzling are at their peak for the franchise, and the Batmobile is a welcome and inventive addition, not to mention being cool as all fuck. Magnificent game.

You might be better off knowing who the Arkham Knight is beforehand. Not knowing who it is leaves some mystery to what unfurls, but it's a hollow sense of intrigue. You might pick up on some interesting angles or foreshadowing or whatever that I thought nothing of the first time through (doubt it tho). Had they not spent the entire time merely teasing and building up to the reveal, they could've explored the character beyond "oh, this is who AK is — now what happens as a result of that?"

I enjoyed the game considerably. The systems at play and even some of the scenarios have been improved upon with each game more or less, but like what was said above, it has just gotten stale. Any new Batman games need to better deliver on using the gameplay systems established in the Arkham series in new and exciting ways rather than just polishing those systems while following the overall same formula.

Having a bunch of disparate combat/stealth rooms is fun — the Arkham series and particularly AK are indisputably the greatest Batman simulators in gaming, in a physical sense of the character — but it all needs to come together in a substantial way.

I'd definitely play what amounts to an improved version of past games, but what would actually get me excited again would be something that completely captures the essence of Batman rather than just the physical aspects.

RAWRferal

So is this worth getting on a PC? Would a 970 + i5 4650k push through the issues?

Easy. I run this near maxed on a 970m at 1080p. Vsynced most of the time.

I'm gonna go back to this, picked it up on GMG during the sale. Liked what I saw but my backlog is horrendous at the moment.

skybald

Bought from Best Buy for like $8. Started playing two days ago. It is so good so far. My first Rocksteady game. Amazing graphics (PS4) and I also don't mind the Batmobile. I think the mobile is fun too.

jacobeid

Banned
You might be better off knowing who the Arkham Knight is beforehand. Not knowing who it is leaves some mystery to what unfurls, but it's a hollow sense of intrigue. You might pick up on some interesting angles or foreshadowing or whatever that I thought nothing of the first time through (doubt it tho). Had they not spent the entire time merely teasing and building up to the reveal, they could've explored the character beyond "oh, this is who AK is — now what happens as a result of that?".

This 100%. The first time they revealed AK I said I would be so upset if it ended up just being
Jason Todd.
It was. I was.

and that PC port.

Arkham Knight ruined the series for me.

KooopaKid

Banned
I was disappointed. Of course it's a good game but nothing really surprised me except for a couple of puzzles. More of the same perfectly describes this game. I think I'm done with this series :(

I'm currently playing this as well. It's cool. I think I like it better than City so far but it definitely seems like more of the same after three games. I'm gonna finish it but I think I've had my fill of Batman Arkham games.

Braag

I really enjoyed it. Only thing that disappointed me were the boss fights and how the batmobile was shoe-horned into almost all of them.
Deathstroke
especially was extremely disappointing.

Regginator

In terms of visuals and gameplay without a doubt the best game in the series, but at the same time narratively speaking the worst/least best one. The main story is extremely underwhelming and the side quests are forgettable (except for
Doctor Pyg
I think he was called?).

7 or 7.5/10

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I loved everything except the Batmobile being constantly shoehorned into missions, and the Arkham Knight.

Top Bottom