• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Bioshock 2

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
giphy.gif

I found this game very fun to play through, Rapture collapsing made me feel very anxious in a good way where I couldn't put the controller down a lot of other things too like building up your guns, taking minutes to explore and the story really builds on Bioshock 1's creative because you fall in love with the characters (Big Daddies, little sisters etc.) and it's to understand and I give a lot of credit to 2K on the game.

giphy.gif

Bioshock 2 no question is a top 10 FPS game of all time, it's complete. The only quality to the first Bioshock has over 2 is it plays within the awe of discovering Rapture for the first time and by the time Bioshock 2 comes around you're in a perfect situation. I'm very optimistic about Bioshock infinite and hopeful for Bioshock 4.

What does GAF think of Bioshock 2 and do you think Bioshock 4 will be cross-gen?

Helios

It's definitely my favorite bioshock out of the first two (haven't played Infinite) . 1 is good but once you know the twist the gameplay is kind of boring.
Minerva's Den is also great.

Tahj

Great game! Admittedly, I wasn't too keen on playing a Big Daddy when it first opened up (I'd gone into the game blind), as it just felt heavy/clunky, but soon enough I got a handle on things, rediscovered the joy of exploring Rapture again, & was very invested in saving every little sister!

I've tested the game for about 30 minutes. No Survivor difficulty which is a bummer. But from what I experienced it felt very... narrow. Even compared to the first game. I was waiting for it to open up, but I can feel the corridors go on and on. Not sure what to make of it. Pretty game for the age.

Dropped the first game already after a few hours. Really lazy environment designs in BS1 after the tutorial and the first area after that.

I went into Bioshock 2 with almost impossible expectations. Bioshock is one of my favorite games ever.

When I first played Bioshock 2 I was initially somewhat disappointed but when I revisited it years later, with the DLC added on, I really loved it.

ethomaz

Banned
Worst Bioshock game.

Both single-player and multiplayer are a boring fest.
The gameplay is flawed (drill everything even on the hardest difficult).
It was a big disappointment.

Dark Star

Bioshock 2 is a really fun game. Sure, it's the least favorite of the 3, but it's still a really enjoyable experience. I thought some aspect of 2 were well executed, mainly the creepiness factor, but it's definitely an experiment with some flaws.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Gameplay: 2 > 1 > Infinite
Story: 1 > Infinite > 2

What about Bioshock 2 makes the gameplay better? I can see the appeal of having your plasmid active alongside your gun/wrench, so beyond that what changes? (haven't played through the game)

Zimmy68

My favorite part of Bioshock 2 was the variety of play styles the game offers you. You could be a non combative or armed to the teeth.
My preference was using the Drill ability that conserved Eve but took away all other weapons?
I would just Security Bot 3 + Hypno everything while hacking.
It was also strangely rewarding because it started out so hard, the first real Big Sister battle was tough, but by the end, you are so OP, there is no real threat.
I literally stood there while Eleanor, multiple Security Bots+3, hypno'd Brutes just took everything down.
It probably edges out Bioshock 1 just a little for me.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
What about Bioshock 2 makes the gameplay better? I can see the appeal of having your plasmid active alongside your gun/wrench, so beyond that what changes? (haven't played through the game)
Nothing actually and the gameplay is flawed.
Some will say it has more options but that doesn’t make the gameplay better.
You are overpowered since beginning too... you can kill any enemy in seconds.

BioShock and Infinite has much better variety and strategic battles compared with BioShock 2... it is way more challenging too.

Gameplay: 1 > Infinite >> 2
Story: Infinite > 1 >>>>> 2

Last edited:

Grieves

I finished and loved Bioshock. I finished Infinite but didn't really like it.

Got about half way through Bioshock 2 and just stopped. I think I had to grind to prepare for a little sister attack and just started playing other stuff so yeah, my least favorite of the three.

So I'm about half way through the game I think;

First major difference as said before is dual wield with the plasmid and weapon at the same time.
Second difference is the budget and/or existing assets. Every area of the game is from an art perspective vastly superior to that of Bioshock 1

In contrast the areas feel very.... streamlined. Yes there's hubs but you don't find any less-beaten paths. Possibly a side effect of focusing on the art direction solely. Bioshock 1 half way through seemed filled with lots more... "jump/crouch to find this" hidden locations.

The gatherings with the little sister seems a bit.. cheap? The novelty wears off after the first time.

The main rifle drops everything pretty easily. Shotgun seems useless. Machine gun seems kind of useless aside from when you need a secondary. Though that doesn't say much because in BS1 all the guns feel absolutely useless and do no damage, but might change if you take enough photographs.

The boss type enemies being the exception. Not really sure how best to deal with them. Usually just heavy ammo on the starter rifle weapon. Some shocks for good measure, though the Ice block attack seems to have setup every weapon into being viable for taking them down easily now.

Pipe minigame is gone which is awesome.

It's not terrible I guess.

ethomaz

Banned
So I'm about half way through the game I think;

First major difference as said before is dual wield with the plasmid and weapon at the same time.
Second difference is the budget and/or existing assets. Every area of the game is from an art perspective vastly superior to that of Bioshock 1

In contrast the areas feel very.... streamlined. Yes there's hubs but you don't find any less-beaten paths. Possibly a side effect of focusing on the art direction solely. Bioshock 1 half way through seemed filled with lots more... "jump/crouch to find this" hidden locations.

The gatherings with the little sister seems a bit.. cheap? The novelty wears off after the first time.

The main rifle drops everything pretty easily. Shotgun seems useless. Machine gun seems kind of useless aside from when you need a secondary. Though that doesn't say much because in BS1 all the guns feel absolutely useless and do no damage, but might change if you take enough photographs.

The boss type enemies being the exception. Not really sure how best to deal with them. Usually just heavy ammo on the starter rifle weapon. Some shocks for good measure, though the Ice block attack seems to have setup every weapon into being viable for taking them down easily now.

Pipe minigame is gone which is awesome.

It's not terrible I guess.
Get close (stun if you need) and drill all bosses in seconds.
Well do the same to all enemies in the game.

You are a Big Daddy after all... you doesn’t need weapons.

Last edited:

DonF

im kinda excited to try the dlc from every game now that its "free" on plus. I played all bioshocks, but none of the dlc and i've heard good things about minerva's den and burial at sea.

Bioshock 2 was good with all the gameplay additions but the story in general wasn't as good as the first one, the twist of the first is just too good, and the setting is original.

wolywood

Bioshock 2 is the Super Mario Bros. 2 of its series - the weird, overlooked but still fun sibling sandwiched between the groundbreaking original and the refined part 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get close (stun if you need) and drill all bosses in seconds.
Well do the same to all enemies in the game.

You are a Big Daddy after all... you doesn’t need weapons.

I've avoided using the drill up to now because it always seemed too risky compare to just breaking LOS from a distance and using headshots. Boss enemies, using the drill definitely helps when you hit them with a freeze. Personally I didn't find the other plasmids all that useful against the stronger enemies. The shock is replace by the ice easily.

I've only really began breaking into other weapons now as things get more hectic, especially protecting the Little Sister later in the game as more powerful enemies spawn as part of the waves, and I have ammo I need to spread out.

On an unrelated note, Minervas Den appears to be like nearly 50% the length of the main game. That's crazy for a DLC.

Top Bottom