• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw both movies back to back. The credits are rolling for 10 Cloverfield Lane as I type this.

I thought they were great in their own ways. The first movie had more of what I wanted, however, and that is catastrophic disaster. It was also considerably more tense on a massive scale. It definitely played to my primal urges and fears more than the latter.

The second movie was great in its own right for being in such a tight, enclosed space with some superb acting from Goodman, but I was missing the enormous explosions and general anxiety that I had from the first film.

Overall I thought both were great but the first movie definitely edges it out for me. What do y'all think?

And I'd also love to know more about the lore and what the hell is going on in this universe. It's such a cocktease, fuck.

Are these two movies set in the same universe? Same timeframe?

Edit: I thought the ending to 10 Cloverfield Lane would have been considerably better had she not encountered the alien at all and was led to believe everything was fine outside, but still drove off into the distance with lightning illuminating the sky and revealing the alien. Would have still shown that Goodman's character did not fabricate everything.

Kinsei

Banned
If you want to learn more about the lore then I suggest you read up about the ARG for the first movie. Oh and pay very close attention to the amusement park scene at the end. You may figure out where the monster came from.

I still need to see 10 Cloverfield Lane.

border

There's really no evidence that the two movies are in the same universe. There's really no evidence that the two movies are in separate universes. Since it's unlikely that the producers and writers behind the films will ever try and merge the separate stories, I think that debate is kind of pointless.

I am surprised that you prefer Cloverfield, because I didn't think it would have much of a wow factor in this day and age. At the time found footage movies were still somewhat rare, and it was something of a spectacle to behold on the big screen. Watching it today I can't imagine it having that much impact.

I tend to feel like 10 Cloverfield Lane will ultimately hold up better, due to some great acting performances from all the cast members. I don't get how you can say it was missing anxiety. Goodman's character seems like he's a hair trigger away from going berserk the entire movie. There's plenty of tension to be had.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
There's really no evidence that the two movies are in the same universe. There's really no evidence that the two movies are in separate universes. Since it's unlikely that the producers and writers behind the films will ever try and merge the separate stories, I think that debate is kind of pointless.

I am surprised that you prefer Cloverfield, because I didn't think it would have much of a wow factor in this day and age. At the time found footage movies were still somewhat rare, and it was something of a spectacle to behold on the big screen. Watching it today I can't imagine it having that much impact.

I tend to feel like 10 Cloverfield Lane will ultimately hold up better, due to some great acting performances from all the cast members. I don't get how you can say it was missing anxiety. Goodman's character seems like he's a hair trigger away from going berserk the entire movie. There's plenty of tension to be had.

Goodman's acting made me anxious but that wasn't what I was expecting and ultimately it disappointed me to find that it wasn't really a monster movie. The enormity of the first Cloverfield movie is what made me anxious and that's what I was expecting going into this movie.

For all intents and purposes even though my expectation wasn't met, Goodman still sold his character extremely well and he definitely had me on edge, no doubt. But as I said, my expectations were very different.

Oh, and I definitely dislike shakey cam footage that's overdone, which it was in Cloverfield. The scale of the fighting and the mystery of the monster totally made up for it, though.

zeemumu

There's a letter on the ground in that little room that she gets to from the vent in 10 Cloverfield Lane that refers to the company that either made or found Clover. So they really only have a connection if you took the time to sort through all that ARG crap.

Me and my girlfriend also did this today , I had seen Cloverfield but not Cloverfield lane . I really liked Cloverfield lane , John Goodman's performance was fantastic . The ending wasn't my favorite part of the movie but it did surprise both me and my girlfriend.

aerts1js

Cloverfield lane would have been amazing if not for the ending, the story would have been more effective if it would have just ended before the
aliens

O_Atoll

Clover Lane was the biggest Neogaf hype letdown for me ever.. so bad. Only thing I liked about it was the fact that the main actress and actors were great in their role. Until the ending.... and I was like what? and I just walked out of the movies. Abram should be ashamed of himself.

ColdPizza

Banned
Clover Lane was the biggest Neogaf hype letdown for me ever.. so bad. Only thing I liked about it was the fact that the main actress and actors were great in their role. Until the ending.... and I was like what? and I just walked out of the movies. Abram should be ashamed of himself.

You walked out at the end of the movie? Haha.

asagami_

Banned
God Particle is going to be the next Cloverfield. If there is
black/worm holes maaaybe the Cloverfield creature and the invaders will appear.

I agree with the OP. I liked the OG Cloverfield movie better than LN. Being a NY'er and having a love for giant monsters and destruction vibed with me more. I still really enjoyed LN though.

Kyuur

Very different but equally amazing films.

The first movie was very cool for me due to the circumstances of watching it; was on vacation with my SO in 2015, sitting in hotel and flipping through TV, randomly found it starting, decided to watch having 0 clue what we were about to see. Never heard of the movie beforehand either, basically the ultimate media-blackout. Made the transition from the party to the rest of the movies 1000x more effective.

O_Atoll

You walked out at the end of the movie? Haha.
Yes when she blew up the you know what with the you know what if you seen the movie. That was just too much for me. They were better off just keeping that part out. Movie went from a 6/10 to a 4.5/10. bad.

Both are decent, however I enjoyed the original more. I hope they do a true sequel to it, it needs some closure.
Just not a nuke goes off and the monster doesn't die.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with the OP. I liked the OG Cloverfield movie better than LN. Being a NY'er and having a love for giant monsters and destruction vibed with me more. I still really enjoyed LN though.

Yup, same here. Being a native New Yorker I believe that's what made it better for me. Also helped seeing how utterly defenseless our military was against the creature, most of them getting blown to smithereens and stomped on.

It actually gave me a great deal of anxiety as I imagined how unimaginably fucked we'd be if we ever faced something of that magnitude, then my mind wandered into other territories and how we'd respond to other outer-worldly or cosmic catastrophes.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yes when she blew up the you know what with the you know what if you seen the movie. That was just too much for me. They were better off just keeping that part out. Movie went from a 6/10 to a 4.5/10. bad.

Nonsense, the entire film underscores that her running away from her problems put her in that situation. Her choosing to stop running away pays off her entire arc. Cut that section out, and she's just another horror film victim.

Nonsense, the entire film underscores that her running away from her problems put her in that situation. Her choosing to stop running away pays off her entire arc. Cut that section out, and she's just another horror film victim.

Yeah instead she's another completely implausible hero in a movie with an identity crisis.

Thought the first cloverfield was decent, the newer one seemed like a low budget cash grab.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah instead she's another completely implausible hero in a movie with an identity crisis.

Thought the first cloverfield was decent, the newer one seemed like a low budget cash grab.

I actually thought the ending to 10 Cloverfield Lane would have been considerably better had she not encountered the alien at all and was led to believe everything was fine outside, but still drove off into the distance with lightning illuminating the sky and revealing the alien. Would have still shown that Goodman's character did not fabricate everything.

I watched this the other say too but didn't make a thread because someone made an lttp less than a week ago :p

But what disturbed me is the theory about howard being innocent and the other guy being the real culprit. Call me cynical but it seems like someone with MRA tendencies came up with shit. Like how hard was to see howard to see an abusive psychopath from the get go ??

Emarv

If you want to learn more about the lore then I suggest you read up about the ARG for the first movie.

I really like both movies but the ARG before the first movie was one of my favorite Internet things to follow along with (along with The Dark Knight from that same year).

I think for one some of you are missing the message behind 10 Cloverfield Lane, and for two the ending is amazing because it subverts your expectations, Goodman's character was right all along. The whole ending sequence is over the top nuts, but that's why I loved it. The whole story is about a character surviving overwhelming odds her whole life and struggling to get by, then at the end she stops running, confronts her fears head on, and conquers them completely. Then when faced with the option of living quietly or going back into the fray to help others she charges headlong into the fire to help others. It was uplifting, badass, intense, it was goddamn great.

cwmartin

10 Cloverfield Lane was excellent until the last 15 minutes. Then it was just like "wtf did this movie just turn into?"

I wouldn't have disliked it so much if there were peeks or some semblance of aliens being involved. But to just reveal them so fast and abruptly was bad paced filmmaking.

krang

I actually thought the ending to 10 Cloverfield Lane would have been considerably better had she not encountered the alien at all and was led to believe everything was fine outside, but still drove off into the distance with lightning illuminating the sky and revealing the alien. Would have still shown that Goodman's character did not fabricate everything.

I agree with this. Also, it really bugged me that this interstallar species was running around like a ravenous beast. I mean, sure it could have been a predatory fodder species if you wanted to write a convoluted lore to a simple premise, but that's certainly not what they were suggesting.

Cloverfield is better, no doubt. I've heard people comment on bad acting, but I was actually quite impressed. TJ Miller was being awesome as always.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I think for one some of you are missing the message behind 10 Cloverfield Lane, and for two the ending is amazing because it subverts your expectations, Goodman's character was right all along. The whole ending sequence is over the top nuts, but that's why I loved it. The whole story is about a character surviving overwhelming odds her whole life and struggling to get by, then at the end she stops running, confronts her fears head on, and conquers them completely. Then when faced with the option of living quietly or going back into the fray to help others she charges headlong into the fire to help others. It was uplifting, badass, intense, it was goddamn great.

Can't say I agree, especially since early on she made an attempt to do that by smashing Goodman's head with a bottle and running to the door. I never felt that she was afraid to do what she had to do, more so that she was ill prepared to do it and reserved action until she was prepared to do it, even when they were cozying up and renovating the place. That's not really entertaining to me because I never felt like she struggled to figure out whether she had to or could do it. From the get-go I felt she was convinced of the goal and just bided her time.

I also don't find her blowing up the alien to be a payoff to her arc because what else are you supposed to do as you and your vehicle gravitate toward the alien's mouth? Where was she to run? It's not like she was given an opportunity to do anything else.

Pizza

YOOOOOOOO I didn't read the whole thread, but the people who think the two movies aren't connected need to check out the ARG or someone covering it on YouTube.

There's a whole extra movie or so of cloverfield content that connects the two

I'm probably mis-remembering stuff, but like

Some Japanese multi-company conglomerate exists, their addictive slushy branch "slusho" is made from shit at the bottom of the sea. Idk what. Well they find cloverfield 1 at the bottom of the ocean and build a big ass observation platform over it. Cloverfield 1 gets pissed and the movie happens. Also the cast of the movie all had MySpace pages revealing they worked for the corporation

Now rewind to sometime in the recent past, a real life navy satellite suddenly went dark or broke(?) but in reality John Goodman found aliens and his bosses didn't feel like dealing with it. So his brain more or less melts, and he dives into full conspiracy theorist believing that our government is probably hiding all the secrets

About two months(?) after cloverfield 1, goodman starts working at the same company that caused the movie in their satellite division. Lots of conspiracy theories had popped up about the company after the first movie's events, so it makes sense they he'd investigate. Also the whole bunker thing.

A colleague/rival sends goodman a pic from a satellite of the aliens in the movie straight chilling in space, and goodman high gears it into panic mode, which is where 10 cloverfield lane picks up.

Also goodman's wife was convinced he was a crazy person, so he'd been trying to replace his family unit because is brain is still very much broken

I'm sure i missed shit, it's worth a read. The ARG creates a very detailed and coherent story, also there are fucktons of cloverfield eggs at the bottom of the ocean probably in some spinoff manga jj Abrams wrote

Saying you waited until the end of the movie before walking out isn't really that damming. I'm sure even the people who enjoyed the movie walked out at the end of it.

Falchion

I hated Cloverfield when it came out but Lane might've been my favorite movie of last year, it was so good.

Mariolee

I will defend 10 Cloverfield Lane's ending until my dying breath. It was the necessary completion of her character arc and also subverted audience expectations. ANY other movie would have ended with her getting out and the hint of aliens, this movie was the only one with the gall to actually go through with the concept.

shoelacer

Banned
Cloverfield wasn't great, but I liked it a lot if only for it not busting it's nut with the monster until really late in the movie. The goofiness of TJ Miller running around screaming was offset by the restraint it had with regards to the monster itself

Can't say I agree, especially since early on she made an attempt to do that by smashing Goodman's head with a bottle and running to the door. I never felt that she was afraid to do what she had to do, more so that she was ill prepared to do it and reserved action until she was prepared to do it, even when they were cozying up and renovating the place. That's not really entertaining to me because I never felt like she struggled to figure out whether she had to or could do it. From the get-go I felt she was convinced of the goal and just bided her time.

I also don't find her blowing up the alien to be a payoff to her arc because what else are you supposed to do as you and your vehicle gravitate toward the alien's mouth? Where was she to run? It's not like she was given an opportunity to do anything else.

Yeah but that's just it, she was running. Her whole life she was running. But now faced with this insane situation, the end is just inevitable, there's no escaping this. She either has to fight or die. She does the "impossible" and confronts the force trying to destroy her and destroys it! It's goddamn amazing is what it is. She wasn't really biding her time to escape, this was explained with Goodman's "Daughter" and inconsistencies in his story, finding the help message, etc... So it waivers back and forth. But again, escape isn't the point, it's about facing your fears head on and not giving up or backing down. This is even underlined by the other dude giving up on his free pass to college because he was scared and her story about her abusive father and how her brother protected her from him.

10 Cloverfield Lane was excellent until the last 15 minutes. Then it was just like "wtf did this movie just turn into?"

I wouldn't have disliked it so much if there were peeks or some semblance of aliens being involved. But to just reveal them so fast and abruptly was bad paced filmmaking.

I was really torn when the reveal happened, but after watching it to the end and thinking about the underlying message of the movie, I loved it!

If these are anthology based and not connected then let her walk out of there and die. There's going to be a lot more losers than winners in that kind of situation.

I'm already seeing her in some cloverfield movie as "resistance leader badass"

I know offtopic but that kind of alien encounter we're all fucked, the lesson is to stay down there. Not engage aliens in melee/missile combat.

krang

Clearly you loved it more than most. When you do leave remember to clean up after yourself.

Well I didn't want to walk out in disgust...so I'm still waiting for someone to tell me it's ok to leave and like the movie...

Also:

XS5LK.gif

charsace

Goodman's acting made me anxious but that wasn't what I was expecting and ultimately it disappointed me to find that it wasn't really a monster movie. The enormity of the first Cloverfield movie is what made me anxious and that's what I was expecting going into this movie.

For all intents and purposes even though my expectation wasn't met, Goodman still sold his character extremely well and he definitely had me on edge, no doubt. But as I said, my expectations were very different.

Oh, and I definitely dislike shakey cam footage that's overdone, which it was in Cloverfield. The scale of the fighting and the mystery of the monster totally made up for it, though.

Cloverfield lane does give you monsters though. Goodman is a monster and the ending man.

Aikidoka

I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane. I haven't seen Cloverfield itself yet, so I wasn't expecting any alien stuff. This thread reminds me that i should check out the 2008 film.

slit

Loved both films but one criticism for each.

Cloverfield: They should never have shown the monster in full view. Just the small peaks we got thoughout would have made it more interesting.

10 Cloverfield Lane: I didn't mind that they showed the aliens but her ability to pull all that off on the fly to destroy them didn't make sense and made them look very weak.

Watched 10 Cloverfield Lane last night. Meh.

I was a big fan of Cloverfield and thought this looked great. And yeah it was good but I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as Cloverfield and it was extremely predictable. Good performances too but I'm not sure about some of the Oscar talk.

Overall I left fairly entertained but disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom