• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Danganronpa 2 : There's no hope in this franchise only despair *spoilers DR1&2*

Danganronpa to me is best when looked through the lens of satire. The first game is supposed to be a deconstruction of the importance Japan puts on high school years. 2 is interesting. it's kind of a retread of 1 but ultimately I get the feeling it's whole point is tied in with 3 which makes them deconstructions of the cynicism of growing older. Too much living in the moment focus on high school/not enough living as we get older.

Red Frost

Banned
Danganronpa to me is best when looked through the lens of satire. The first game is supposed to be a deconstruction of the importance Japan puts on high school years. 2 is interesting. it's kind of a retread of 1 but ultimately I get the feeling it's whole point is tied in with 3 which makes them deconstructions of the cynicism of growing older. Too much living in the moment focus on high school/not enough living as we get older.

As of 3, it seems to be more about the elitism that comes with talent. Still kind of satire, but shitting on the concept of hard work in favor of what you're born with, which kind of goes against Japan's view of high school, doesn't it (bust your ass studying, go to cram school, etc)?

The simple problem with OP is the you can't like danganronpa if you don't like the characters. It's not just a simple murder mystery game.

You're in a game that put simple expectations and change them.
Like every character in DR1 & DR2 ends up in different place than at the start of the game.

And yes , some cases are painfully easy to guess , but so are many in the PW series ..

Danganronpa is fun regardless ... There are many problem with the game ( some mini games ) and it's not some perfect game , but goddamn is there is fun in it , if you just look for it. it's certainly one of the best of his genre at making you care for their characters and that's were my fun is

65% of the cast ending up dead is a very different place from where they started I agree with you :p

Hektor

Both games did have slight moments of redemption when they killed off the worst characters (gundham).

I was ready to respectfully disagree with your opinion, but then i read this, your opinion is wrong, you're wrong, your friends and family are wrong and everything you ever touch will be wrong.

rotpb517

I can see where you're coming from OP. I recently completed both games when they came to Steam and I was left with a weird aftertaste. On paper this seems like a series I would really love, and I usually love stupid anime bullshit but the series just never clicked with me throughout both campaigns.

The anime is actually really enjoyable so far though (I'm 4 episodes in).

Mendrox

But you think 999>ZTD>VLR :V

Cmon, you guys gotta say why you disagree instead of just saying I disagree, that doesn't help really, since anyone can say that in any thread.

I also disagree because you didn't have a open mind for Danganronpa it seems. From the begining of the game (since DR1) the game is wacky. So of course everything else is wacky/strange/anime.

I didn't know shit about the games and bought DR1 just on a whim back then when it was released for Vita, played through it on one day and immediately preordered the second game, because the combination of loveable characters (which you can see in the free time events which really expose the characters by the way), good soundtrack and the gameplay itself were just too good for me. Danganronpa 2 was my second game of the year in 2014. It just seems you are too serious about the plot, but to be honest other mediums of DR explain certain plot points.

agTOW08.png

I agree with a lot of the criticisms that the OP gave, just to a lesser degree as I still enjoyed much of the series. It is a solid 7/10.

Top Bottom